gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:47:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reel Tapes Library Images  (Read 21793 times)
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 07:44:43 AM »

it's rather faint but on there is a label for the aforementioned Bob Rolle as 'Robert D. Rolle'
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 07:52:20 AM »

Folks tried sleuthing out Rolle and Bramsen back when the previous thread was going. The plaques with the names were some of the main points of discussion. Certainly seems more likely this is just a bunch of dudes years ago in Minnesota.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 07:55:42 AM »

What's nuts is that this picture has been talked about on the board for at least 10 years at this point, and we still don't have a clear idea about the circumstances behind or origin of the photo. We have good theories, but nothing close to ironclad proof.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 08:12:46 AM »

What's nuts is that this picture has been talked about on the board for at least 10 years at this point, and we still don't have a clear idea about the circumstances behind or origin of the photo. We have good theories, but nothing close to ironclad proof.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but it blows my mind that after 13 pages of intense discussion in 2011, a guy calling himself "Paul Bramsen" posted in the thread in 2015 saying "oh yeah, I knew a guy named Bob Rolle in St. Paul and we dealt with sound systems", and it went almost entirely ignored!

What was going on in very early 2015 that nobody saw this? I include myself as well, although the 2011 thread took place at a time when I wasn't on the board often.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:16:34 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

Drink a little drip drip drip drip drink a little

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 08:22:59 AM »

There is a Robert Rolle from St. Paul Minnesota on Facebook.. who is interested in "Sony MDR-V6 Studio Monitor Headphone"...
He looks 70s or something...

This is quite interesting!

PS. We need to hire Robert Langdon to investigate!! :D

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »

As I mentioned before, even if these are 100% nerd hobbyist collectors/fans, if they actually did work in the area and can find a guy who has a soundboard recording of a 1974 St Paul gig, that could be pretty cool to hear!

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »

there's about as much authenticity in this so-called reel session tape storage rack as Bruce Johnston's old remark about a beach boys album called The Fading Rock Group Revival

in other words a fan who kept 10-1/2" dia. reel tapes of beach boys albums decided to store them in a faux BRI session multi replica as a gag, pulling our legs with that photo a bit like bruce did with that goofy comment

mr. desper might bear me out in that the boxes there for those 10-1/2" dia. reels probably contain not the 1/2" width tape as I originally thought, but the much more consumer standard 1/4" width tape (with a pad piece for filler), my x-ray BS detector sniffs this out
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »

If the photo is from the early-mid 70s, while the "enthusiastic fan" theory makes some sense (or, slightly alternatively, the "trying to impress their friends" fan theory), a full-on purposeful "hoax" theory doesn't. Pre-internet, what would be the audience for a hoax? The person you show photos to?

The picture looks too elaborate for just a fan who wants to make tape backups for themselves. But it's also not elaborate enough to easily pass a sniff test for being legit, nor really elaborate or detailed enough to simply pass as *the* BRI archive if all they're looking to do is a replica/shrine sort of thing. Again, a hoax would almost surely involve more tantalizing fake tape labels than predominantly album master backups.

"Wow, a 1/2 inch third generation backup copy of "Shut Down Vol. 2? Who needs Smile outtakes?"

I don't think anyone can say with any certainty exactly what (if anything) is inside those tape boxes. Every scenario has pros and cons.

1/4 inch tapes inside 1/2 inch boxes? Where did they get that many empty 1/2 inch boxes then?

Empty boxes? Maybe, but it doesn't match up with the idea that it's a hobbyist making back up tapes for their own amusement. And certainly it strains credulity even more to think a non-hobbyist would somehow track down a bunch of empty 1/2 inch tape boxes.

Actual 1/2 inch tapes in the boxes? Maybe the simplest answer is the best. But it's also a weird format for a consumer (or even a higher end hobbyist) to make backup copies with.

If the thing is a hoax, it would have to be targeted at a very small, select group of knowledgeable fans who would care in the first place, and such fans would then also potentially be aware of the weird discrepancies (mixed down masters being on 1/2 inch, etc.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:01:09 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 10:12:00 AM »

One more expanded, likely totally off, theory based on previous theories and my own thoughts:

BB fan in St. Paul area wants an elaborate and high-end (for circa 1974) sound system, and pays Rolle and Bramsen to make him an epic sound rig. This would presumably be a big BB fan, and someone with a lot of disposable income to burn on such a project, and maybe someone with a slight eccentric style and/or ego such that he'd pay guys to do this for him and then order up little plaques naming the guys who did the rig and also thanking the focus of this rig/shrine (The Beach Boys, "especially Brian").

Rolle and/or Bramsen are very much semi-pro guys, somewhere in between fan/hobbyist and pro. One or both of them maybe work in the radio industry and/or a studio. They end up rigging up for their "client" a weird hybrid set up of BB albums dubbed onto open reel tapes (maybe they forward the idea that open reel tapes will sound better than vinyl, and there aren't good commercially-released tapes of all the BB albums), and set him up with weirdly some sort of twin-track (stereo) 1/2 inch deck (and/or a twin-track 1/4 inch deck). Maybe Rolle or Bramsen worked a local BB gig and have a tape of that, and add that to the stash.

This doesn't even explain everything, such as the "Bellagio" stuff or "Add Some Music" or "Vegetables" or other weird labels. It also doesn't address the alleged "PaulBramsen" who posted here who implied the person who bought this elaborate rig was "a friend of the BB." While obviously that whole post may be bogus, if it has any veracity, then that raises a bunch of other questions. What "friend of the band" lived in St. Paul in the 70s? Did this fan have access to some of the few "rare" items that were allegedly on the shelf (keeping mind little was booted back that early, especially Smile stuff).

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 04:16:19 PM »

So to summarize, we have four basic theories so far:

1. Hoax
2. Superfan Shrine/tape library
3. Legit Safety Copies
4. Audio/Soundsystem Setup

Before I dig into my opinions on each one, I'd like to establish a few things:

* I've concluded the photo is from 1973 for a few reasons. Regardless of how the events that created this photo came together, every single released record by the group from Surfer Girl through Holland is shown in the photo. Whether hoax, superfan, sound system, or legit copies ... surely the "In Concert" album (and the albums that followed if applicable) would have been included.

Additionally, there are something like 50 white-box Scotch reels pictured ... these reels date from late '60s-early '70s and Scotch switched to different style boxes by the mid-'70s.

Further, the Polaroid comes from Ed Roach so we know it dates back to the pre-internet era at least. All of this leads me to comfortably say this photo must be from 1973.

* I'm going to go through each box in the photo and attempt to identify what they appear to be (all appear to be 10.5" reels, some are 1/2" and some are 1/4"):

TOP SHELF -
1. CONCERT LA/NY -  1/4" reel
2. HOLLAND - 1/4" reel, possibly minus fairytale?
3. SO TUFF - 1/4" reel,
4. SURF'S UP -  1/4" reel
5. SUNFLOWER - 1/4" reel
6. 20/20 - 1/4" reel
7. FRIENDS - 1/4" reel
8. WILD HONEY - 1/4" reel
9. SMILEY SMILE - 1/4" reel
10. PET SOUNDS - 1/4" reel, Duophonic version?
11. PARTY - 1/4" reel
12. SUMMER DAYS - 1/4" reel
13. TODAY - 1/4" reel
14. CHRISTMAS - 1/4" reel
15. ALL SUMMER LONG - 1/4" reel
16. SHUT DOWN VOL II - 1/4" reel
17. CONCERT - 1/4" reel
18. LITTLE DEUCE COUPE - 1/4" reel
19. SURFER GIRL(?) - 1/4" reel
presumably SURFIN USA and SURFIN SAFARI are in there but out of view

BOTTOM SHELF -
1. ADD SOME MUSIC TO YOUR DAY - 1/4" reel, unknown
2. LONDON - 1/4" reel, LIVE IN LONDON album
3. TRACKS - 1/4" reel, STACK-O-TRACKS album
4. PET SOUNDS - MONO -1/4" reel, mono version
5. SPRING - 1/4" reel
6. BELLIAGO / HOLLAND - 1/2" reel
7. VEGETABLES - 1/2" reel
8. SUMMER CONCERT - 1/2" reel
9. SURF'S UP - 1/2" reel
10. SUNFLOWER - 1/2" reel
11. REMOTE ST. PAUL - 1/4" reel
12. MISC BEACH BOY MATERIAL - 1/4" reel, single-only tracks, B-sides, etc?
13. BRIAN - 1/4" reel, Huh outside productions? who knows
14. BRIAN / DUMB ANGEL - 1/4" reel, S M I L E comp?
15. WOULDN'T IT BE NICE - 1/4' reel?

To summarize, we have what appears to be a complete archive of Beach Boys released albums on 10.5" 2-track 1/4" reels from SURFIN SAFARI to HOLLAND, plus SPRING.

We also have 1/2" tapes for all of the Brother-era albums (coinciding with the period in which the group began retaining physical ownership of their own mulit-tracks and masters), except SO TOUGH, and along with tapes labeled VEGETABLES and SUMMER CONCERT.

We also see a single tape for individual songs "Add Some Music" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice". Interestingly, these are both songs that we know multiple mixes were made of.

Additionally, we see two concert tapes (REMOTE ST PAUL and CONCERT LA/NYC), two possible comps (MISC BEACH BOY MATERIAL and BRIAN), along with a SMILE comp.

-

Let's consider each theory:

1. HOAX -

I don't see this being an elaborate hoax for the reasons HeyJude pointed out above. Being that I believe it to be an authentic photo from 1973, this would be a crazy and expensive thing to do for a Polaroid opp. It's possible, but would have been done by a very organized crazy person.

-

2. SUPERFAN TAPE LIBRARY -

I'm open to the superfan theory. This would make sense because all of the officially released albums are there, organized in order and looks similar to how a record collection might be organized.

This would have to be a super audiophile/recording/radio industry type for sure though. 1/2

But some of the tapes look pretty weird for a fan ("VEGETABLES" 4-track?).

How many fans at that time knew that Mt Vernon was Mike's childhood home? I ask because I believe there's a mistake on what appears to be a 1/2" reel for Holland: "BELLAGIO/HOLLAND" -- whoever was labeling the tapes might have mixed up the streets (Brian's vs Mike's ... i.e., it should say "MT VERNON/HOLLAND"). Was this info in the '71 Rolling Stone article?

How many regular folks would have a 1/2" recorder in 1973? The answer is very few. By the early '70s, 1/2" was used for 4-track tape dupe masters, private "demo"/cheap studios, and quad masters.

-

3. LEGIT SAFETY COPIES -

I don't believe the presence of the SPRING album suggests any particular theory being more likely. If this is a legit archive, it is not for Capitol or Warners, it's for BRI and BRI would have been in possession of the tapes for this record at some point (or could have leased it to make a copy).

Elements supporting this theory:

* Concert LA/NYC is exactly in chronological order where IN CONCERT would be, but why is it labeled this way? This would make sense if the album was still in-progess. Possibly a safety copy of the original single LP IN CONCERT album that was shelved.

* The presence of 1/2" tapes. My best theory here is that these were some kind of quad experiments for the Brother albums (and "Vegetables" for some reason).

* "BELLAGIO"

Some tapes may have been included that someone in the group (Carl?) or working for the group deemed important, aside from the released material.

Things that don't add up: If these were real safety masters, you'd have two tapes for each album (side one and side two). For some kind of "backup of a backup" archive, I suppose it's possible that they used 1.0 mil tape and combined the two sides onto one tape. The only album this would not work with is Holland (including Fairy Tale -- it runs more than the approx 45 minutes you'd get on one 10.5" 1.0 mil reel at 15 ips).

-

4. AUDIO/SOUND SYSTEM SETUP

I think this is plausible. The plaques sort of support it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:20:51 PM by DonnyL » Logged

The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2017, 06:42:37 AM »

So to summarize, we have four basic theories so far:

1. Hoax
2. Superfan Shrine/tape library
3. Legit Safety Copies
4. Audio/Soundsystem Setup

Before I dig into my opinions on each one, I'd like to establish a few things:

* I've concluded the photo is from 1973 for a few reasons. Regardless of how the events that created this photo came together, every single released record by the group from Surfer Girl through Holland is shown in the photo. Whether hoax, superfan, sound system, or legit copies ... surely the "In Concert" album (and the albums that followed if applicable) would have been included.

Additionally, there are something like 50 white-box Scotch reels pictured ... these reels date from late '60s-early '70s and Scotch switched to different style boxes by the mid-'70s.

Further, the Polaroid comes from Ed Roach so we know it dates back to the pre-internet era at least. All of this leads me to comfortably say this photo must be from 1973.

* I'm going to go through each box in the photo and attempt to identify what they appear to be (all appear to be 10.5" reels, some are 1/2" and some are 1/4"):

TOP SHELF -
1. CONCERT LA/NY -  1/4" reel
2. HOLLAND - 1/4" reel, possibly minus fairytale?
3. SO TUFF - 1/4" reel,
4. SURF'S UP -  1/4" reel
5. SUNFLOWER - 1/4" reel
6. 20/20 - 1/4" reel
7. FRIENDS - 1/4" reel
8. WILD HONEY - 1/4" reel
9. SMILEY SMILE - 1/4" reel
10. PET SOUNDS - 1/4" reel, Duophonic version?
11. PARTY - 1/4" reel
12. SUMMER DAYS - 1/4" reel
13. TODAY - 1/4" reel
14. CHRISTMAS - 1/4" reel
15. ALL SUMMER LONG - 1/4" reel
16. SHUT DOWN VOL II - 1/4" reel
17. CONCERT - 1/4" reel
18. LITTLE DEUCE COUPE - 1/4" reel
19. SURFER GIRL(?) - 1/4" reel
presumably SURFIN USA and SURFIN SAFARI are in there but out of view

BOTTOM SHELF -
1. ADD SOME MUSIC TO YOUR DAY - 1/4" reel, unknown
2. LONDON - 1/4" reel, LIVE IN LONDON album
3. TRACKS - 1/4" reel, STACK-O-TRACKS album
4. PET SOUNDS - MONO -1/4" reel, mono version
5. SPRING - 1/4" reel
6. BELLIAGO / HOLLAND - 1/2" reel
7. VEGETABLES - 1/2" reel
8. SUMMER CONCERT - 1/2" reel
9. SURF'S UP - 1/2" reel
10. SUNFLOWER - 1/2" reel
11. REMOTE ST. PAUL - 1/4" reel
12. MISC BEACH BOY MATERIAL - 1/4" reel, single-only tracks, B-sides, etc?
13. BRIAN - 1/4" reel, Huh outside productions? who knows
14. BRIAN / DUMB ANGEL - 1/4" reel, S M I L E comp?
15. WOULDN'T IT BE NICE - 1/4' reel?

To summarize, we have what appears to be a complete archive of Beach Boys released albums on 10.5" 2-track 1/4" reels from SURFIN SAFARI to HOLLAND, plus SPRING.

We also have 1/2" tapes for all of the Brother-era albums (coinciding with the period in which the group began retaining physical ownership of their own mulit-tracks and masters), except SO TOUGH, and along with tapes labeled VEGETABLES and SUMMER CONCERT.

We also see a single tape for individual songs "Add Some Music" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice". Interestingly, these are both songs that we know multiple mixes were made of.

Additionally, we see two concert tapes (REMOTE ST PAUL and CONCERT LA/NYC), two possible comps (MISC BEACH BOY MATERIAL and BRIAN), along with a SMILE comp.

-

Let's consider each theory:

1. HOAX -

I don't see this being an elaborate hoax for the reasons HeyJude pointed out above. Being that I believe it to be an authentic photo from 1973, this would be a crazy and expensive thing to do for a Polaroid opp. It's possible, but would have been done by a very organized crazy person.

-

2. SUPERFAN TAPE LIBRARY -

I'm open to the superfan theory. This would make sense because all of the officially released albums are there, organized in order and looks similar to how a record collection might be organized.

This would have to be a super audiophile/recording/radio industry type for sure though. 1/2

But some of the tapes look pretty weird for a fan ("VEGETABLES" 4-track?).

How many fans at that time knew that Mt Vernon was Mike's childhood home? I ask because I believe there's a mistake on what appears to be a 1/2" reel for Holland: "BELLAGIO/HOLLAND" -- whoever was labeling the tapes might have mixed up the streets (Brian's vs Mike's ... i.e., it should say "MT VERNON/HOLLAND"). Was this info in the '71 Rolling Stone article?

How many regular folks would have a 1/2" recorder in 1973? The answer is very few. By the early '70s, 1/2" was used for 4-track tape dupe masters, private "demo"/cheap studios, and quad masters.

-

3. LEGIT SAFETY COPIES -

I don't believe the presence of the SPRING album suggests any particular theory being more likely. If this is a legit archive, it is not for Capitol or Warners, it's for BRI and BRI would have been in possession of the tapes for this record at some point (or could have leased it to make a copy).

Elements supporting this theory:

* Concert LA/NYC is exactly in chronological order where IN CONCERT would be, but why is it labeled this way? This would make sense if the album was still in-progess. Possibly a safety copy of the original single LP IN CONCERT album that was shelved.

* The presence of 1/2" tapes. My best theory here is that these were some kind of quad experiments for the Brother albums (and "Vegetables" for some reason).

* "BELLAGIO"

Some tapes may have been included that someone in the group (Carl?) or working for the group deemed important, aside from the released material.

Things that don't add up: If these were real safety masters, you'd have two tapes for each album (side one and side two). For some kind of "backup of a backup" archive, I suppose it's possible that they used 1.0 mil tape and combined the two sides onto one tape. The only album this would not work with is Holland (including Fairy Tale -- it runs more than the approx 45 minutes you'd get on one 10.5" 1.0 mil reel at 15 ips).

-

4. AUDIO/SOUND SYSTEM SETUP

I think this is plausible. The plaques sort of support it.

If this photograph does indeed show a collection or archive of Beach Boy safety-copies of some guy named Paul Bramsen who lived, or still lives, in St. Paul, Minnesota; is there any way of finding out if this person still owns this physical collection of tapes at his place?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2017, 08:56:40 AM »

If this photograph does indeed show a collection or archive of Beach Boy safety-copies of some guy named Paul Bramsen who lived, or still lives, in St. Paul, Minnesota; is there any way of finding out if this person still owns this physical collection of tapes at his place?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/593569-paul-bramsem-70s-engineer.html

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2017, 01:34:28 PM »

Has anyone actually emailed the guy?

paulbramsen48@outlook.com

(From his SS profile)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »

Has anyone actually emailed the guy?

paulbramsen48@outlook.com

(From his SS profile)

Don't think that poster was real (Paul BramseM)

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/593569-paul-bramsem-70s-engineer.html

I would wager that all this post shows is that Mark is a member of this message board.  Also, that he's as curious as the rest of us.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2017, 03:52:08 PM »

I shot off an email yesterday to the person who posted as Paul Bramsen. They replied mostly reiterating what they mentioned in their one post here. I'll follow up and see if there are any other details they might be able to share.

But based on the info they've shared, if it is to be believed, the pic is of a fan's setup from the 70s.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »

I shot off an email yesterday to the person who posted as Paul Bramsen. They replied mostly reiterating what they mentioned in their one post here. I'll follow up and see if there are any other details they might be able to share.

But based on the info they've shared, if it is to be believed, the pic is of a fan's setup from the 70s.

The poster was a fake. The name on the plaque is Paul BramseM, the poster's username is PaulBramseN ... presumably, the guy would know how to spell his own name Smiley

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2017, 06:39:44 PM »

The poster was a fake. The name on the plaque is Paul BramseM, the poster's username is PaulBramseN ... presumably, the guy would know how to spell his own name Smiley

Or the guy who bought the stuff misspelled the guy's name when he made the plaques. In this theory, he also misspelled Bellagio as "Belliago" and Tough as "Tuff."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:50:04 PM by HeyJude » Logged

The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2017, 07:00:15 AM »

It is perhaps meaningful to note that in this photograph; the only reels that seem unrelated to any released Beach Boys album are coloured white; i.e "Dumb Angel", "Remote | St. Paul", "| Brian |"; and that these reels are organized together at the very brink of the shelf; kept away from the original Beach Boy releases...
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2017, 07:16:45 AM »

I theorize that this was the work of a passionate fan who worked as a sound-engineer in the area, and therefore had some connections or acquaintances with The Beach Boys' accolades and/or distributors, you know, from being an obsessive with resources to give because of his sound-engineering abilities. Most of the tapes on the shelfs could be that of released-products; perhaps recordings from vinyl-record sources of those products, while those at the end of the bookshelf are 'special', in the sense they have found their way from insiders; perhaps Brian himself, to this man's archive; as a sort of 'token-of-appreciation', if you will. This sounds ridiculous, and I am reluctant to conclude such, but we do know for a fact the amount of missing tapes; masters, session-reels, compilation-reels, even missing overdub-reels that The Beach Boys have been incurred throughout their recording-career; and the fact that Mark Linnett is perhaps as curious of the possibilities as we are, we need to take this seriously.
PaulBramsen
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2017, 10:55:32 PM »

Until today I've never seen the rack of tapes photo. Without revealing  the identity of the super fan and acquaintance of Brian, Carl, Mike and Al, I can definitely affirm that the owner knew the boys very well. Besides playing golf and socializing with him, I sold the fan his basement Tascam pro-audio "toys" while I was in sales etc. for Audio King in Edina Minnesota.  A special patch bay for the gear was also built by an AK specialist. Mr. Rolle was an outside contractor for AK and sold him various McIntosh electronics along with Altec VOTT and a Revox deck, I believe. I can not divulge the name of the fan as he hasn't responded to phone messages left for him. We have common friends who have also recommended that he remain anonymous. I know that this doesn't help in the discovery mode. But if the situation changes in the future for any reason, I will post again.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2017, 11:17:26 PM »

Thanks for posting Paul. Can you give us any information about the Brian Dumb Angel reel?
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

Drink a little drip drip drip drip drink a little

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2017, 12:30:50 AM »

I think this is a big step forward for our research, thanks!

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2017, 07:48:18 AM »

More indication that this is just a fan. Really the only detail left to pursue is whether there's anything of interest on the small number of intriguingly-titled tapes.

Some of this would be answered if we knew a precise date, because I would tend to doubt *anybody* would have Smile outtakes in their collection in 1973.

It would be nice if someone could track this "fan" down and just ask about those tapes. No names needed.

And once again, even if the guy has nothing of interest but one single 1974 St. Paul soundboard tape, that would be cool to hear!

My best guess: It's a fan, and the St. Paul tape is probably the only thing (along with perhaps the one or two other live tapes) that might be of interest in 2017. I'm guessing the other stuff is essentially very elaborate forms of the "fan mix tape." If the pic comes from the very late 70s or early 80s (and let us remember that the "work" done for this guy could have been done in the early-mid 70s, but this pic could still be from late 70s or very early 80s), then stuff like the "Dumb Angel" tape could just be a dub of the earliest "Smile" boots.

Obviously, it's easy to assume this pic comes from 1974 or 75 at the latest as it doesn't have stuff from 15BO or later. But who knows? The later 70s stuff might be on another shelf. Or maybe the guy just stopped dubbing stuff after that.

Maybe at this point it might be easier to track down Mike or Al and ask them if they remember a friend/fan from the St. Paul area who might have somehow procured a few rare tapes.

PaulBramsen
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 09:23:24 AM »

I reached out again to the owner of the tapes etc., this morning. He was in France and is returning next week and said he'll call me when he returns.  Head Spin
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx