gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:51:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Run James, Run" Streaming at P4K  (Read 31282 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »

I wish you'd said "this doesn't apply to anything anyone is saying here, but..."

We could've avoided a lot of back and forth.

Though anytime I can say smush, I'm happy

(This is in re GF's most recent post. Clarifying since I was slow on the draw)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:48:42 AM by the captain » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2017, 11:59:54 AM »

If I'm understanding the "smush" correctly, it's used quite effectively on "The Private Life of Bill and Sue" where Brian becomes Jeff and then Brian again. It also might be what's happening on the BWPS "Surf's Up."

It seems to me that it's used primarily because Brian's range has diminished to the point where hitting lines like "Do-o-mi-no" alone is impossible. So I don't love it, per se, but it also doesn't bug me. If the goal is to achieve a certain sound, and the only way to do so is smushing (I think we need to come up with a more appropriate word), it's fine by me.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »

If I'm understanding the "smush" correctly, it's used quite effectively on "The Private Life of Bill and Sue" where Brian becomes Jeff and then Brian again. It also might be what's happening on the BWPS "Surf's Up."

It seems to me that it's used primarily because Brian's range has diminished to the point where hitting lines like "Do-o-mi-no" alone is impossible. So I don't love it, per se, but it also doesn't bug me. If the goal is to achieve a certain sound, and the only way to do so is smushing (I think we need to come up with a more appropriate word), it's fine by me.

Melding Brian's mid-range into another vocalist's high range is certainly one potential use.

But for things like the verses of TWGMTR, it's totally in Brian's range. So again, I'm not sure precisely *why* they mixed/recorded some of the "lead" vocals in that fashion. Trying to "beef up" the sound is one possibility. Trying to "fix" slightly shaky leads without resorting to autotune is another possibility. Just *liking* that sound is of course another.

I think both Brian and Al (and of course Matt, and so on) can still do good lead vocals. So my personal preference is not for the "smush" to be too prevalent.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »

Amen to using a different word.. I misunderstood what was being discussed and was addressing the Autotune questions and not the smush

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2017, 12:23:35 PM »

Trying to "beef up" the sound is one possibility. Trying to "fix" slightly shaky leads without resorting to autotune is another possibility. Just *liking* that sound is of course another.

Gotcha. I guess the times I notice it the most are when I'm specifically listening for how Brian is going to pull off a higher range part.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »

"Surf's Up" is more of a live performance fix that made it onto record -- Brian slides into a lower harmony part while Jeff scales the high notes. It was something they worked out for concerts years before recording the album.

But "Bill and Sue" is a great example, as is the chorus to "Shelter," which seems to be either Mike, Brian, Jeff or some blend of all three.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2017, 12:23:48 PM »

Yeah I thought smushing referred to doubles or alternate musicians singing the SAME parts.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2017, 12:25:37 PM »

Fine but now I'm going to talk about former NBA player Smush Parker. Gotta get my smush fix.

(I still think we're conflating different things. Similar but not quite the same.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »

Amen to using a different word.. I misunderstood what was being discussed and was addressing the Autotune questions and not the smush

I'm not sure whether I should be taking credit for it, nor am I sure I want to, but I may have been the first to use the "smushing" term to describe some of the TWGMTR vocals. It was my way of trying to describe the sound where the vocals are mixed in a weird way where the lead vocals are sometimes smushed together to where you can't really pinpoint one single voice singing one, single-tracked lead.

It starts with recording multiple lead vocal tracks. (Sometimes backing vocals weave through as well). I think the performance of each track, and then the combination of those tracks, combined with how they are processed, combined with how they're mixed, combined with how everything is mastered, all play a role in the end result.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »

I also think that the C50 band trying to replicate the sound of the studio recording of "That's Why God Made the Radio", with multiple lead vocalists, may have also contributed to why that one particular song often sounded wonky during what were otherwise amazing live shows. Most live performances during that tour of that particular song (including some TV appearances) tended to range from "okay" to "very close to going off the rails."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2017, 07:21:42 PM »

A few of us seem to have misunderstood just what was being discussed. Ditch the word.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2017, 07:49:57 PM »

A few of us seem to have misunderstood just what was being discussed. Ditch the word.  Smiley

If so, then replace it with what? IMO, "smushing" sounds good enough to become a recording industry standard term.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2017, 08:34:30 PM »

If so, then replace it with what? IMO, "smushing" sounds good enough to become a recording industry standard term.

Doubley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2017, 12:34:00 AM »

I'm not sure whether I should be taking credit for it, nor am I sure I want to, but I may have been the first to use the "smushing" term to describe some of the TWGMTR vocals. It was my way of trying to describe the sound where the vocals are mixed in a weird way where the lead vocals are sometimes smushed together to where you can't really pinpoint one single voice singing one, single-tracked lead.

It starts with recording multiple lead vocal tracks. (Sometimes backing vocals weave through as well). I think the performance of each track, and then the combination of those tracks, combined with how they are processed, combined with how they're mixed, combined with how everything is mastered, all play a role in the end result.
To me personally, the "smushing" is the main criticism I have on TWGMtR and (sometimes on) NPP. I think it's a good word to describe it.  I have also heard it on BWPS, which is also the main reason I prefer the Smile Sessions over the 2004 release...
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2017, 01:17:50 AM »

To me personally, the "smushing" is the main criticism I have on TWGMtR and (sometimes on) NPP. I think it's a good word to describe it.  I have also heard it on BWPS, which is also the main reason I prefer the Smile Sessions over the 2004 release...

So you should.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »

Haven’t seen anyone share this clip from a couple days back yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmcdGeZfOW8. Nice little webisode about “Run James Run” featuring Brian and Joe Thomas.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »

Haven’t seen anyone share this clip from a couple days back yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmcdGeZfOW8. Nice little webisode about “Run James Run” featuring Brian and Joe Thomas.

I saw this the other day. Joe Thomas finally reappears in actual footage!

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2017, 03:32:58 PM »

Hush puppies
Smush puppies...

The relevant thing here is that all sorts of tricks have to be resorted to in attempts to make Brian's vocals sound half-way decent.  Sometimes they do just about sound half-way decent, but not much more than that....

Lots of folks don't like the "phoniness" aspect of the BBs career, the studio over-production, the reliance on recording tricks.  While a big fan, I do understand this viewpoint and can sympathize with it.  I think in the long run it has contributed to the group perhaps not being taken as seriously as they should be.....
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2017, 03:36:39 PM »

Hush puppies
Smush puppies...

The relevant thing here is that all sorts of tricks have to be resorted to in attempts to make Brian's vocals sound half-way decent.  Sometimes they do just about sound half-way decent, but not much more than that....

Lots of folks don't like the "phoniness" aspect of the BBs career, the studio over-production, the reliance on recording tricks.  While a big fan, I do understand this viewpoint and can sympathize with it.  I think in the long run it has contributed to the group perhaps not being taken as seriously as they should be.....

Here ya go buddy, sounds like you could use these...

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »

Hush puppies
Smush puppies...

Maybe they'd be taken more seriously if we got more efforts like this:

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2017, 03:52:12 PM »

Mikesthegreatest only in Kokomo! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »

Mikesthegreatest must be the garbage guy to AGD’s butler role to M&B....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2017, 01:08:22 AM »

He's as consistent in his views as OSD. I enjoy both their posts.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2017, 03:01:53 AM »

He's as consistent in his views as OSD. I enjoy both their posts.

Only one isn’t a former perma-banned member here under a different name using a VPN to mask their original IP. When OSD gets banned he’s an adult about it and accepts the consequences. When Mikesthegreatest gets banned he just makes a new account and continues trolling.

Though I don’t agree with some of OSD’s opinions, at least his opinions are grounded in the reality that Mike has been a prick during his life and is an unlikeable person (depending on your viewpoint). Whereas those who mock Brian - I really don’t get why they’re so angsty about him. Anyone who knows him says he has a heart of gold (and his interviews nearly always reflect that).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx