gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:26:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Run James, Run" Streaming at P4K  (Read 31281 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »

I quite like this (obvious nod to DHMLS in the verses and all). I think the production is just right and Brian sounds less processed and more "in your face" than he has on recent efforts.

When Brian speaks of that long-jawed-about rock and roll album, I hope it's more material like this rather than covers. If so, please take my money.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2017, 04:58:34 AM »

though an "Al Jardine" album penned by Brian could be pretty amazing
Yes. But think you'll agree Brian really likes singing, no way he'd give away leads to Al, Blondie, smb. else.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2017, 05:50:54 AM »

Yes. But think you'll agree Brian really likes singing, no way he'd give away leads to Al, Blondie, smb. else.

He had no issues passing out lead vocals to multiple singers on his last solo album.   But, I'd rather hear more Al and Blondie with no outside guests. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2017, 06:02:09 AM »

Meant to say "give away *every* lead". Since HeyJude said "Al Jardine" album, i.e. with Al leads only. Can't see it being possible. Brian's very into singing, esp. new songs. He may passed the leads to the other singers but he *still* did feature through No Pier Pressure, vocally.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2017, 06:22:26 AM »

Meant to say "give away *every* lead". Since HeyJude said "Al Jardine" album, i.e. with Al leads only. Can't see it being possible. Brian's very into singing, esp. new songs. He may passed the leads to the other singers but he *still* did feature through No Pier Pressure, vocally.

No, I don't see a Brian Wilson album where Brian doesn't have any leads. 

I think what HJ might've been referring to is a possible (not probably unlikely) scenario where Brian does some writing and producing for an Al solo album. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2017, 06:33:57 AM »

I think what HJ might've been referring to is a possible (not probably unlikely) scenario where Brian does some writing and producing for an Al solo album. 

Exactly, yes. I wasn't suggesting Brian morph a Brian solo album into an "Al Jardine" album by giving away all the songs. Rather, it would be a case of *separately* tackling a new Al solo album ("Even More Postcards from California!", whatever) and then hand-picking/writing songs for Al.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2017, 06:38:17 AM »

As already mentioned in my previous post, I wasn't talking about Brian giving away all the leads on a "Brian" album to Al, but rather separately working on an Al solo album (think "Spring", or "The Wilsons", etc.)

That being said, Brian actually has, especially recently, a stronger than usual track record for giving away leads to other singers on his own albums (and live shows for that matter). As I've often said, the first pseudo-single off NPP, "The Right Time", is for all intents and purposes nearly an "Al Jardine" solo track penned and produced by Brian (and Joe).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2017, 06:42:28 AM »

Exactly, yes. I wasn't suggesting Brian morph a Brian solo album into an "Al Jardine" album by giving away all the songs. Rather, it would be a case of *separately* tackling a new Al solo album ("Even More Postcards from California!", whatever) and then hand-picking/writing songs for Al.

Living the age of social media, how about "Facebook Selfie Post from California." 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2017, 07:19:58 AM »

Hate to get into semantics but, I didn't deny Brian's giving away the leads to Al etc. I added "every". No Pier Pressure's chockful with guest singers & even there he shares lead.

& thanks to correct the misunderstanding but I doubt that he'd give Al shine in Al's album alone. Esp. if Brian would be the writer. He'd be singing in any capacity. It goes back to the "Brian likes/ enjoys singing" bit.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2017, 07:29:31 AM »

Hate to get into semantics but, I didn't deny Brian's giving away the leads to Al etc. I added "every". No Pier Pressure's chockful with guest singers & even there he shares lead.

& thanks to correct the misunderstanding but I doubt that he'd give Al shine in Al's album alone. Esp. if Brian would be the writer. He'd be singing in any capacity. It goes back to the "Brian likes/ enjoys singing" bit.

Yes, and nobody ever suggested Brian ever had or ever would hand over *every* lead on one of his albums to someone else (it's not a bad idea in theory, for Brian to essentially serve the Van Dyke Parks role from "Orange Crate Art", but it's not something anybody has said has or ever would realistically happen).

Brian giving away a few songs for another artist's album doesn't preclude him from singing on his own album. He has given away (and/or picked, arranged, produced, etc.) tracks to artists in the past.

While it's highly unlikely Brian would have the time or interest to fully write and produce an Al album, if Al was working on an album and asked Brian to write (or dig into his bag of old songs for) a few things for Al's album and produce it, I don't see anything far-fetched about that in light of their post-2012 working relationship. Brian did this with "Everything I Need" for a Foskett album back in the 2000s, he did this with several songs on the "The Wilsons" album in 1997, and so on.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2017, 07:42:32 AM »

Yes, and nobody ever suggested Brian ever had or ever would hand over *every* lead on one of his albums to someone else (it's not a bad idea in theory, for Brian to essentially serve the Van Dyke Parks role from "Orange Crate Art", but it's not something anybody has said has or ever would realistically happen).
Yes, I got it by now.

While it's highly unlikely Brian would have the time or interest to fully write and produce an Al album, if Al was working on an album and asked Brian to write (or dig into his bag of old songs for) a few things for Al's album and produce it, I don't see anything far-fetched about that in light of their post-2012 working relationship.
Agree with these theories. It's good idea but here's the difference - your accent was about the Al album with Brian as the writer/ producer, when I paid attention to Brian's sharing leads with Al even in his album. If Postcard is indication, it's impossible for Brian to *just* write song without singing there (not really songs he did write, be it new or decades-old material). From that standpoint, full "Al Jardine" vocals album can't be. Coz, you know, Brian likes singing. I'd even say he likes it better than playing keyboards.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:36:47 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2017, 08:18:27 AM »

I think it'd be also very interesting to have a BW album produced by Al, considering his classic BB sound on his solo album.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2017, 07:03:09 PM »

Oh my. I've just listened to RJR on the headphones for the first time (and second, and third...). I had to get up and dance to the music. It's AMAZING!
And RangeRover, thanks for making me notice the tambourine "carpet". Smiley

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »

Right in the pocket of spring '65--right before the "fat" bass came into play. Ah, if we could only live in that time frame, before so much got so f'ed up--and I'm not just talking about Brian or the BBs, either. But it looks like Brian is gonna take us back there--hurray!

If he keeps this up (and why not??) they should title the LP "Brian Wilson Today."
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »

Right in the pocket of spring '65--right before the "fat" bass came into play. Ah, if we could only live in that time frame, before so much got so f'ed up--and I'm not just talking about Brian or the BBs, either. But it looks like Brian is gonna take us back there--hurray!

If he keeps this up (and why not??) they should title the LP "Brian Wilson Today."

Nicely stated.  That is such a great timeframe, isn't it?  I love the Today! and Summer Days era.

Brian has been quoted as saying the sessions for California Girls and Let Him Run Wild were very "Up" - most likely meaning he was hitting his stride with the Wrecking Crew, having fun, and getting into the groove with his new vision of writing the songs at home and having the Boys spreading the gospel on the road.

It also reminds me of an Elvis Costello quote from Endless Harmony whereby he describes the Pet Sounds era (I believe it applies to this timeframe as well...

(quoting loosely)

"After things were young and silly, and before things got weird..."

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2017, 02:18:37 AM »

This is one of the catchiest songs from Brian in a long time. A fun, upbeat song that I find myself singing a lot during the day. Hard to believe he is 75 years old and putting out songs like this.

For some reason, the background vocals during the pre-chorus seemed really crowded and distracting on the first 2-3 listens, but during (many) subsequent listens they seemed to get less muddled.

The shimmery "run, James, run" at the 26-27 mark is a neat touch. Brian is not overly "barky" and the chorus is contagious and nearly perfect although I am not a fan of the "be the man" line. I do like how the background changes from "run, run, run" to "run, James, run". Cool guitar solo.

If this is any indication... I need Brian's rock and roll album. Now.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2017, 05:08:37 PM »

What are people's thoughts regarding the dramatic difference in the sound of the lead vocal in most of the refrain (starting with "you you better run, James, run") versus the final line ("be the man")?

It seems to me that the former is a blending of BW and someone else's voice, while the last line is all BW, sounding a lot more like the verses. But it could also just be a different vocal approach, different processing, etc. And mostly I'm hoping somebody just says smushing again.

(What I am hearing is plenty of that fluttering sound that to me seems to indicate some serious processing, not unlike Mike's voice in "Isn't It Time" after the Foskett falsetto part.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »

... Brian is not overly "barky" ...

What are people's thoughts regarding the dramatic difference in the sound of the lead vocal in most of the refrain (starting with "you you better run, James, run") versus the final line ("be the man")?

It seems to me that the former is a blending of BW and someone else's voice, while the last line is all BW, sounding a lot more like the verses. But it could also just be a different vocal approach, different processing, etc. And mostly I'm hoping somebody just says smushing again.

(What I am hearing is plenty of that fluttering sound that to me seems to indicate some serious processing, not unlike Mike's voice in "Isn't It Time" after the Foskett falsetto part.)

Yeah, in many parts it does sound like it is someone else's voice blended with BW's, along with some heavy processing. Or maybe it's just some very well done heavy duty processing, but to me it does sound like an additional voice. Whatever it is, Brian's voice sounds far better than it usually does. And the reduction in "barking" makes the listening experience easier on the ears as well, although IMO the song would sound better with even less "barking".

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2017, 07:05:02 PM »

There were moments (especially early) in the refrain I felt I was hearing Al blended in, but I don't think that's the case ... which made me suspect maybe it's Matt (whose non-falsetto voice I'm not familiar with, but presumably would share some of Al's characteristics?).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2017, 08:26:55 PM »

I actually think that change in vocal texture between verses and choruses (or parts of the choruses) is one of the hooks to the song. It's the equivalent of a couple of different lead voices.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2017, 05:07:35 AM »

I don't dislike it. Just trying to discern whether it's all BW and, if not, who else is participating in the lead.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2017, 06:36:27 AM »

As I've previously mentioned (I believe), while "Run James Run" doesn't utilize quite the "lead vocal smushing" thing we've talked about in other discussions (mainly regarding TWGMTR), I think there are definitely points in the song's "lead" where multiple voices are singing, and it sure sounds like Al is in there at certain points on those choruses.

It would be interesting to know, assuming they utilized the NPP-era recording as a basis and then added things during sessions earlier this year, if Al (and Matt for that matter) attended this year's session. I'm curious if Al layered his voice in with Brian this year, of if they simply had Brian do a new lead this year and then retained some bits of Al's vocal tracks as well.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2017, 08:14:50 AM »

I wonder if the choruses, smushed up and all, date back a couple of years -- possibly produced by Joe and Brian -- and the verse vocals were tracked earlier this year with Brian alone producing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »

I wonder if the choruses, smushed up and all, date back a couple of years -- possibly produced by Joe and Brian -- and the verse vocals were tracked earlier this year with Brian alone producing.

Seems quite plausible. In cases where Brian has handed the lead vocal off mostly to Al, he (Brian) still has some sort of moment when he's to the fore a bit more (e.g. "The Right Time"). So I could envision that the NPP-era "Run James Run" sounded pretty similar to the version we have, with Al simply singing those verses.

Clearly Brian should have done what Al did with "PT Cruiser" and simultaneously release five different mixes. Brian Mix, Al Mix, Matt Mix, Instrumental, and Mark McGrath Mix.....   LOL

"Run!...Run!....Run!.....Yeeeeahhhh!"
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:03:27 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Michigander2122
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2017, 09:16:49 AM »

Ive been holding back with any new comments, but now i really feel that i need to inject my opinion . I love  RJR! Im disappointed in the overall CD. Greatest Hits? One For The Boys not on it? Your  Imagination ,the only top ten single Brian ever had as a solo artist not on it? Some Sweet Day  was the  record companies answer to what new fans like myself wanted to hear? Pretty sad. I still bought the CD!  On another front,This smushing conspiracy theory doesnt make any sense to me. Joe Thomas is the smusher from what im reading. He's not listed as the producer on TWGMTR yet  the theory is that he came in and while taking no credit caused all of the smashing? He  WAS credited on NPP and of course caused the smushing? And then even though he is credited with Brian as the co producer of RJR , which many of you admit sounds great, and i agree, he came in and  smushed one  line? The non smushed vocals were  taken from a session that he was  not in attendance ?  How do we know this? Or is this how it reads? Brian now  free this year finally  from the " shackles that were binding him down " ( Joe Thomas) un smushed a few new lines alone this year at the  session that Thomas was not part of!  Im just trying to get this all understood.  In the meantime i would prefer to  just sticking to the known facts. Im going to enjoy  the one new song that we all seem to agree is a step in the right direction! I  am happy that we have  an uptempo Rock Brian track with great guitar playing written by Brian and Thomas, and produced by Brian and Thomas, and sounding way more in line with what fans  my age ( 24 ) listen to, than the dated tracks that are being dusted off from the nineties. I do not care if  its Andy Paley , Joe Thomas, Mike Love or whomever Brian chooses to make new music with , I just want to hear NEW MUSIC from Brian. And I am sorry ,but I do not hear any smushing!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx