gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:47:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: smile 2018  (Read 8948 times)
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2017, 05:49:55 AM »

Since BW is bored with singing PS after 2 yrs why not Smile or Lucky old sun ? BW has stated that a big weight was lifted off his shoulders when Smile was finished.. Demons gone..  WELL.. Before he retires he should do his other masterpieces.. He has al and matt to carry part of the load so why not. ? I believe its time for a nother challenge for him.. Before he retires into the sunset..  Or how about the best of TLOS Gershwin  and disney and a greatest hits set.. I dunno know.. He wants to continue to tour nso lets do it right.. Or do one hour of the best of BW solo stuff and a greatest hits set.. He has nothin to lose. I want to hear songs that are rarely played now.. Surfs Up.. Matt could sing 1st part and BW could sing 2nd part.. Many ways he could do tthis.. His highest charting solo lp"s are 1988 lp Smile TLOS Gershwin.. I want to continue seeing BW in concert . BUT.. We need a set revamp..BW is a musical ICON.... Play your stuff in sMALLER .halls aND SHOW YOUR CREATIVE MUSE... i love ALL bw MUSIC.. Please play your stuff.. We will be there for you.. Stretch out and enjoy all your periods of creativity.. Love ya Brian..
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 06:13:11 AM »

A "Lucky Old Sun" tour wouldn't sell tickets/promoters. A "Smile" show would, but Brian has said recently he doesn't enjoy singing "Surf's Up" (which Brian and Matt have done as recently as 2015) and other more verbose songs. So I would guess "Smile" would be out (plus 2017 would have been the year to market around a 50th anniversary).

I don't think Brian's tour operation could afford to go *smaller* than the venues he plays currently, which are mostly indoor theaters with some sheds mixed in here and there (and some festival gigs). The band is too big to play clubs and tiny theaters. They can probably afford to do one-off things like the old Roxy gigs, especially if they're doing it to capture a live album or something. But a club tour with the huge band and operation would lose money quickly.

I think if Brian wants to keep touring, they should just craft a setlist from his whole catalog. I don't need more themed shows. Even a "Wild Honey" album performance wasn't always a huge "wish list" item for me; I'd rather see him dig deeper into another album than do "How She Boogalooed It." Not that I dislike anything on the WH album. I just think the way to go is a well-rounded setlist, crafted first and foremost with songs Brian *likes* to sing, because that's when he's at his best and most energetic. Beyond that, a few more Al-centric numbers (Lookin' at Tomorrow, Santa Ana Winds, etc.), and give Blondie another song or two (or my oft-cited idea of a mid-show mini set with Al and Blondie while Brian rests).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 07:23:44 AM »

well i saw BW at greek th. los angeles ca 2015. BW played songs from NPP Smile and Friends and audience ate it up. the best recieved songs were the songs he doesnt normaly play..  A 4 -5000 seat theater he should be close to a sell out anywhere.. so i still stand by my post.. Mike + Bruce do greatest hits.. BW should explore his  solo music.. He has nothin to lose. He doesnt tour for the money. he tours because he is a musician.. If i was in BW band and he offered me LESS money to tour his solo music with a greatest hits set or Smile or TLOS. Id take it in a heartbeat... SO WOULD THEY.. The alternitive would be Unemployment insurance.. Club gigs and who knows what.. Ive actually talked to the band what do they do when BW doesnt tour.. Unemployment insurance.. gigs with tribute bands etc.. small potatoes..so workin with BW on a smaller scale shouldnt be a problem.. TOP  money for unemployment in CA is...450.00 a week.... but this isnt about the money its about...HISTORY
KDS
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 07:41:40 AM »

I think you're more likely to see a few Beach Boys deep cuts spinkled in the setlists than BW solo material.  He's really just following the lead of many other legacy artists.  Plus, with Al and Blondie in the band, I think it makes sense that he'd do a boy Beach Boy - centric setlist. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 12:08:16 PM »

They'll never dig up BW solo deep tracks. They do a couple of songs from whatever the new album happens to be - if there is one. Other than that, they stick to the BB's catalog. And this is true with other legacy artists, too. I don't see Ray Davies...or Dave Davies...digging deep into their solo material.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 04:11:44 PM »

I personally would love to see a whole tour that is acoustic versions of BW/BB songs like he opened shows in mid 2000s. 
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 04:16:44 PM »

you guys may be right but it sure is a shame
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 10:58:36 PM »

Yes it is. I mean, he's got years and years of solo material now that could be showcased onstage, but other than Love and Mercy, it's like Brian never had a solo career. I know people say that material would not sell tickets, but obviously record labels continue to believe that new songs from Brian will sell records; they keep signing him up to do albums like TLOS, NPP, etc. Heck, i'd enjoy hearing Al do some songs from his cd, too.
KDS
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 05:48:41 AM »

Yes it is. I mean, he's got years and years of solo material now that could be showcased onstage, but other than Love and Mercy, it's like Brian never had a solo career. I know people say that material would not sell tickets, but obviously record labels continue to believe that new songs from Brian will sell records; they keep signing him up to do albums like TLOS, NPP, etc. Heck, i'd enjoy hearing Al do some songs from his cd, too.

There's some truth to this, but you're not going to find many solo artists who had the majority of their success with prior bands playing a lot of solo songs in their sets.   Maybe with the Playback release, a few more solo songs might be added to 2018 setlists, but I'd think the bulk will still be Beach Boys material. 

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 02:16:44 PM »

There's some truth to this, but you're not going to find many solo artists who had the majority of their success with prior bands playing a lot of solo songs in their sets.   Maybe with the Playback release, a few more solo songs might be added to 2018 setlists, but I'd think the bulk will still be Beach Boys material. 

One exception I recall is when Ray Davies was touring to support his first proper solo album, Other People's Lives, in 2006. Roughly half the show was from the new album. Personally, I loved it, he had a great band backing him up, and it was good to hear them play some new stuff instead of just being a glorified Kinks tribute. By the next tour, though, it was back to a Kinks greatest hits show, with maybe 3 songs off the new record Working Man's Café.
I should have been around in the early 70's when various acts of some status were radically revamping their shows. The Beach Boys come to mind, of course, along with Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band, Dion, Wings in their early days playing universities and stuff, it really was a different time.
KDS
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 02:57:15 PM »

One exception I recall is when Ray Davies was touring to support his first proper solo album, Other People's Lives, in 2006. Roughly half the show was from the new album. Personally, I loved it, he had a great band backing him up, and it was good to hear them play some new stuff instead of just being a glorified Kinks tribute. By the next tour, though, it was back to a Kinks greatest hits show, with maybe 3 songs off the new record Working Man's Café.
I should have been around in the early 70's when various acts of some status were radically revamping their shows. The Beach Boys come to mind, of course, along with Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band, Dion, Wings in their early days playing universities and stuff, it really was a different time.

Its not uncommon for solo legacy artists to feature brand new material.  Brian has done that in the past, as has Roger Waters, David Gilmour, etc, but once the next album comes out, those songs are brushed to the side.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »

"Bored with singing Pet Sounds"?  Really?  Bored?

You have any idea how difficult most of those songs are to sing?  [for guys in their 20s?]  I am doubtful that we'll see Brian tour again.  Most who've been in the audience lately will have an inkling as to why.

The guy tours his acknowledged masterpiece for a solid 18 + months and close to 200 shows and it ain't enough?   Roll Eyes

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 09:36:41 PM »

What if Brian did smaller venues but a stripped down synth tour including the entire Love You album? Also more songs from Smiley, Wild Honey and Friends. Also Funky Pretty, Mount Vernon and Fairway, Match Point, Male Ego, My Solution and A Day in the Life of a Tree.

I'm so there!!!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 03:06:22 AM »

You gotta Give The People What They Want  Wink

Ray is great and I often thought how cool it would be for Brian to be able to do a Beach Boys album using Ray's Story Teller album as a template. Wishful thinking....
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 07:46:50 AM »

They'll never dig up BW solo deep tracks. They do a couple of songs from whatever the new album happens to be - if there is one. Other than that, they stick to the BB's catalog. And this is true with other legacy artists, too. I don't see Ray Davies...or Dave Davies...digging deep into their solo material.

I thought it was pretty audacious that Brian did the entire Gershwin album in concert in 2010. Unfortunately, I never saw one of those shows.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 11:31:27 PM »

You gotta Give The People What They Want  Wink

Ray is great and I often thought how cool it would be for Brian to be able to do a Beach Boys album using Ray's Story Teller album as a template. Wishful thinking....
I don't know how well that format would work for Brian. He's not as comfortable with public speaking as Ray is.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 07:54:18 AM »

You have any idea how difficult most of those songs are to sing?  [for guys in their 20s?]  I am doubtful that we'll see Brian tour again.  Most who've been in the audience lately will have an inkling as to why.

The guy tours his acknowledged masterpiece for a solid 18 + months and close to 200 shows and it ain't enough?   Roll Eyes

I think saying Brian's bored with singing PS is probably the more polite way to put it.

I can't fault an artist if they get sick of doing the same 13-song set for 200 shows over a year and a half. Obviously, the solution would be/would have been to not book another year of PS shows if he was already getting tired of singing it in 2016.

But his stunning enthusiasm for the non-PS songs (including the "meat and potatoes" numbers) indicates he'd probably do well to just go back to the 2015 format of a 35-song set covering all the bases.

And I would imagine that's what we're getting for any shows next year. He may well not extensively tour next year, but three shows for May 2018 were booked quite along while ago. So his plan is to remain active to some degree.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 10:36:16 AM »

I think saying Brian's bored with singing PS is probably the more polite way to put it.

I can't fault an artist if they get sick of doing the same 13-song set for 200 shows over a year and a half. Obviously, the solution would be/would have been to not book another year of PS shows if he was already getting tired of singing it in 2016.

But his stunning enthusiasm for the non-PS songs (including the "meat and potatoes" numbers) indicates he'd probably do well to just go back to the 2015 format of a 35-song set covering all the bases.

And I would imagine that's what we're getting for any shows next year. He may well not extensively tour next year, but three shows for May 2018 were booked quite along while ago. So his plan is to remain active to some degree.
Brian will be touring as long as physically possible, because that's where the money is these days.
KDS
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »

Brian will be touring as long as physically possible, because that's where the money is these days.

In a recent interview, Mike cited Tony Bennett as the standard.  I think he's 90 and still tours. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 01:20:42 PM »

That's of course true, but it's not as if he's toured heavily every year. There have been some off years with very few dates (e.g. 2006, 2014, etc.). So there's more factors than just churning the shows out for money. Otherwise he'd be playing the Cleveland Rib Cook-Off every year like Mike.

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »

BW doesnt tour for the money and doesnt need it.. I think part of the reason he tours is to keep the BAND together.. When they dont tour they collect unemployment just like we do from our jobs.. I got that from 2 band members on the 2012 C50 tour.. Those guys arent rich like BW.. Also i read somewhere recently that BW tours cause when he doesnt tour he thinks of DYING.. He needs things to do so not to dwell on his age  and the  future.. Hell i just turned 65 and i think about dying everyday but dont dwell on it.   I think he should do much more solo songs and not tour so intense take more breaks. like when he first started touring.. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 11:04:06 PM »

BW doesnt tour for the money and doesnt need it.. I think part of the reason he tours is to keep the BAND together.. When they dont tour they collect unemployment just like we do from our jobs.. I got that from 2 band members on the 2012 C50 tour.. Those guys arent rich like BW.. Also i read somewhere recently that BW tours cause when he doesnt tour he thinks of DYING.. He needs things to do so not to dwell on his age  and the  future.. Hell i just turned 65 and i think about dying everyday but dont dwell on it.   I think he should do much more solo songs and not tour so intense take more breaks. like when he first started touring.. 
Well, it would be nice to see his solo career acknowledged in the set lists with more than just Love and Mercy. Who cares if 90% of the audience wouldn't know Melt Away or This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight? That's why he should be playing them, so more people will get exposed to his solo material. After all, it is a Brian Wilson show, not a Beach Boys show.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 06:45:31 AM »

Brian's shows at various times have been targeted more or less at a wider, more casual group and then more at the "hardcore" fans at other points.

Certainly, the "Pet Sounds" shows are targeted at a wider audience. Some may not easily realize that there are relatively "casual" fans, especially of the younger, hipster variety, that are pretty familiar with PS but not necessarily with other deep BB or BW cuts.

It's also important to keep in mind that Brian shows are not showcase for "solo Brian" music. Nor are they simply de facto "Beach Boys" shows. Rather, aside from a small hand full of exceptions, it's a showcase of *Brian's music*, meaning material he has written.

I think Brian's shows, especially in past years, focused heavily enough on his solo material. He performed TLOS and Gershwin in their entireties, and showcased albums like "Imagination" and GIOMH (and NPP) in shows, etc.

As with most "classic rock" era artists (or most in general), he usually pulls some stuff from his new album at hand, and by the next tour, most if not all of the tracks are gone. He hasn't super often dug back into past *solo* albums, though he has gone back and done "Melt Away" and "Let It Shine" from BW '88, and on several more recent tours has pulled out "Your Imagination" again. He even did a bit of TLOS stuff in 2013.

But for sure, on a PS tour, once you factor in 13 PS songs, and the "meat and potatoes" BB songs, there isn't a ton of space left. I'm sure even a lot of hardcore fans would rather hear "Aren't You Glad" or "Let The Wind Blow" than "Melt Away", etc.

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »

Actually doin all those Wild Honey songs is pretty cool. Seen BW twice this year and missed out on that. Im surprised Country Air hasnt been played..  A favorite of mine. Lots of harmonies.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »

Actually doin all those Wild Honey songs is pretty cool. Seen BW twice this year and missed out on that. Im surprised Country Air hasnt been played..  A favorite of mine. Lots of harmonies.

I've thought "Country Air" would be a great pick for the band to do. I think they should do more of the more or less "group lead vocals" sort of songs.

I'd also kill to hear Brian belt out "Here Comes the Night." Someone posted a soundcheck clip from a few weeks/months back where Brian randomly plays and sings a line or two, and it sounds great.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx