gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:53:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: smile 2018  (Read 8947 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 05:45:57 AM »

Actually doin all those Wild Honey songs is pretty cool. Seen BW twice this year and missed out on that. Im surprised Country Air hasnt been played..  A favorite of mine. Lots of harmonies.

I've thought "Country Air" would be a great pick for the band to do. I think they should do more of the more or less "group lead vocals" sort of songs.

I'd also kill to hear Brian belt out "Here Comes the Night." Someone posted a soundcheck clip from a few weeks/months back where Brian randomly plays and sings a line or two, and it sounds great.

I'd love to hear Country Air.  How about they open with it as they were doing with Our Prayer for a little while.  Start the show with Country Air and segue into CA Girls. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »

Actually doin all those Wild Honey songs is pretty cool. Seen BW twice this year and missed out on that. Im surprised Country Air hasnt been played..  A favorite of mine. Lots of harmonies.

I've thought "Country Air" would be a great pick for the band to do. I think they should do more of the more or less "group lead vocals" sort of songs.

I'd also kill to hear Brian belt out "Here Comes the Night." Someone posted a soundcheck clip from a few weeks/months back where Brian randomly plays and sings a line or two, and it sounds great.

I'd love to hear Country Air.  How about they open with it as they were doing with Our Prayer for a little while.  Start the show with Country Air and segue into CA Girls. 

Brian has sometimes opened shows, or opened second sets, with quiet, semi or fully a capella numbers. "Our Prayer", "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring", "You're Welcome", etc.

I personally prefer punchy, energetic openings to shows. I'd be fine with just bringing back "The Little Girl I Once Knew." That's by far the best show opener I've seen at Brian gigs. The beginning of the 1999 and 2000 shows I saw were some of my favorites. It's a kick ass opener. (I believe he opened with it in 2001 on the Paul Simon tour show I saw as well).

"Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" was great in 2013, but opening a show with a quiet number often leads to a lot of extraneous crowd noise as people inevitably are late getting back to their seats (especially on that 2013 tour where Brian's opener followed an intermission).

It's actually kind of fun to go back and look at the openers for some of the shows I've seen:

1999 - The Little Girl I Once Knew
2000 - The Little Girl I Once Knew
2001 - The Little Girl I Once Knew
2004 (Smile Tour) - Surfer Girl (opening the front-of-stage "Unplugged" set)
2005 (Smile Tour) - Do It Again
2007 (PS 40th Tour) - Surfer Girl (another "Unplugged" opener)
2007 (short pre-Europe US Tour) - Catch a Wave
2013 - Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
2015 - Our Prayer/H&V
2015 (one-off September show) - Our Prayer/H&V
2016 (PS 50th) - California Girls

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »

I tend to prefer an upbeat opener myself.

But, since Our Prayer worked so well, I just threw Country Air out there. 

Although the main difference there is OP is more well known, and CA might have a big selection of the audience wondering what's going on. 

Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 02:05:15 PM »

Time to Take "Love You" on the road!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »

2013 - Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
2015 - Our Prayer

I really loved both of these as openers. Both songs sounded GORGEOUS vocally, and they felt like real statements of purpose from Brian and the band, as opposed to just serving up a familiar hit to kick off the show.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 09:01:40 PM »

Sure, as long as they replicate the sound of those 1970's synths and the off-key vocals. Some fans might get a kinky thrill out of hearing Brian sing "pat, pat, pat her on the butt".
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2017, 12:32:49 AM »

Yes please. The chance to hear the last true Brian Wilson album live would indeed be a wonderful thing.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2017, 10:52:35 PM »

Yes please. The chance to hear the last true Brian Wilson album live would indeed be a wonderful thing.
Yep, we haven't had a real Brian Wilson album since then - not even the one titled "Brian Wilson". That was an Andy Paley album. IJWMFTT was a Don Was album. OCA was a Van Dyke Parks album (well, duh!). Imagination was a Joe Thomas album. And I don't know who wants to claim responsibility for GIOMH! TLOS is a Scott Bennett album...nope, can't listen to that one anymore, that guy's a rapist!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »

I don't think a full-length "Love You" tour is likely, because there's nothing to market it around that the masses will gravitate towards. For that, it's PS and Smile and not much else.

I could see Brian doing a short tour or a few shows featuring the album.

However, "Love You" is about the only other BB album that I could envision Brian doing from front to back, because he rarely does songs written by other members. I know some have said a "Sunflower" tour makes sense, but I just don't see Brian adding "Tears in the Morning" to his setlist, and it also has several Dennis songs. Brian rarely has performed Dennis material (relegated to infrequent performances of "Forever", and David Marks singing "Little Bird" for one tour).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2017, 10:32:53 PM »

Brian will be touring as long as physically possible, because that's where the money is these days.

That's of course true, but it's not as if he's toured heavily every year. There have been some off years with very few dates (e.g. 2006, 2014, etc.). So there's more factors than just churning the shows out for money. Otherwise he'd be playing the Cleveland Rib Cook-Off every year like Mike.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       HJ you do make me chuckle.  Been dealing with aging parent issues (in their 90's) so I've been off the board for about a month and I am catching up on my  SS reading.  I still remember standing on asphalt on a August high humidity 95 degree day in Cleveland at the Rib cook-off (circa 98-ish) watching Mike and a band of no one I recognized blasting out BB oldies.  Not enough beer in Cleveburg to cool you down !!! 
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »

I don't think a full-length "Love You" tour is likely, because there's nothing to market it around that the masses will gravitate towards. For that, it's PS and Smile and not much else.

However, "Love You" is about the only other BB album that I could envision Brian doing from front to back, because he rarely does songs written by other members. I know some have said a "Sunflower" tour makes sense, but I just don't see Brian adding "Tears in the Morning" to his setlist, and it also has several Dennis songs. Brian rarely has performed Dennis material (relegated to infrequent performances of "Forever", and David Marks singing "Little Bird" for one tour).

Brian could just do like Mike who billed a "Wild Honey Tour" and only played a few songs from the album.

but let's be honest here, no other albums are likely to get a full tour or get played front to back. as much as we (and Brian) love Friends or Love You, he's not going to tour those albums. I do wish he'd do some one-off album shows. he could just stay in L.A. and do special shows at a nice theater or club (I still can't believe I got to see Brian Wilson at The Roxy!)

it would appeal to hardcore fans, hopefully sell out, and Brian could stay local and do some of his most favorite stuff. I would make a special trip from the east coast to see Brian play Friends or Love You top to bottom.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 10:28:13 PM »

Brian could just do like Mike who billed a "Wild Honey Tour" and only played a few songs from the album.

but let's be honest here, no other albums are likely to get a full tour or get played front to back. as much as we (and Brian) love Friends or Love You, he's not going to tour those albums. I do wish he'd do some one-off album shows. he could just stay in L.A. and do special shows at a nice theater or club (I still can't believe I got to see Brian Wilson at The Roxy!)

it would appeal to hardcore fans, hopefully sell out, and Brian could stay local and do some of his most favorite stuff. I would make a special trip from the east coast to see Brian play Friends or Love You top to bottom.

He needs to do Sweet Insanity live. The world is waiting for Smart Girls live.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx