gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:39:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I met Mike Love  (Read 8719 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »

I'd like to see Mike's answer if he's ever asked what were his specific contributions in writing Kokomo.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 09:44:58 AM »

It's also worth always keeping in mind that Mike (or anyone) doesn't necessarily get an equal cut of royalties based on number of writers. That is, a "Wilson/Love" track may not be a 50/50 royalty split. Same is possible with "Kokomo"; Mike may not get a full 25% of the royalties. That's all hashed out in publishing agreements, etc.

For instance, a lot of the Brian/Mike songs are cases where Brian wrote all of the music, and also co-wrote the lyrics with Mike. So Mike might get something closer to 25% of some of those songs rather than 50, and sometimes regardless of whether the sheet music simply says "Words and Music by Wilson/Love" as opposed to "Words by Wilson/Love, Music by Wilson."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 09:56:33 AM »

What percentage did Mike get for "good night, sleep tight" on his retroactive WIBN lawsuit writing credit? I assumed it was 25%, which of course is one of the most bullshit aspects of the whole saga. But I digress...

For me it's a case of Mike endlessly hammering away at setting the record straight regarding credits and due compensation, yet we can pull multiple examples of songs where Mike's name is listed but he had no hand in writing the song, or where Mike's collaborators aren't given equal billing, or in the case of Kokomo where Mike speaks as if he wrote the majority of that song when in fact he did not. Unfortunately his cowriters on that have passed away.

It's also funny how selective the memory can be when it comes to boosting a legacy or trying to back up a claim versus possibly countering what any given narrative might be by accidentally letting the truth slip. I.E. avoiding self incrimination, perhaps?

The equivalent of pleading the 5th.  Smiley  "I don't remember that. But let me tell you instead about the color of the floormats and the odometer reading on the Jaguar I was riding in when the lyrics to Good Vibrations came to me as if in a cosmic dream."

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »

I'd like to see Mike's answer if he's ever asked what were his specific contributions in writing Kokomo.

He's specifically stated that he wrote the Aruba Jamaica part, as well as rewriting some of John Phillips' verse lyrics -- that is, changing "where we used to go" to "that's where we wanna go."

Whatever else one might say about Mike, he and Terry Melcher turned that song into a hit.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »

He's specifically stated that he wrote the Aruba Jamaica part, as well as rewriting some of John Phillips' verse lyrics -- that is, changing "where we used to go" to "that's where we wanna go."

Whatever else one might say about Mike, he and Terry Melcher turned that song into a hit.

Mike has more often in interviews and comments overstated his contributions to the writing of that song, which was in reality (as we all know) a 4-way songwriting split on an existing song. And it's just a case of "setting the record straight" as to how much he actually contributed versus what he has said or implied numerous times about his contributions to the song. Reading some comments from the past, it's as if Mike thinks he was the catalyst and primary rainmaker behind that song.

I also remember the shitstorms that blew up here whenever the issue of the film "Cocktail" and how it drove the single would be raised. If anything made it a hit perhaps above and beyond the songcraft itself, it was the film, the soundtrack, and a video featuring Tom Cruise and John Stamos that was in heavy rotation on MTV. Or just ask Bobby McFerrin how that soundtrack, film, and MTV gave his career a boost. Like the Beach Boys after 1989, McFerrin never got anywhere near the chart success he had with his top-5 song on the Cocktail soundtrack.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »

Mike would have easily deflected any icky feelings people might have about his attitude about "Kokomo" if he had just acknowledged it as a nice surprise hit, a nice shot in the arm for the band. Instead, it's his "Sgt. Pepper." Mike gleefully points out Brian's lack of involvement.

Based on the scant info we have about the band's attitude towards the song prior to releasing it, nobody seemed to think it was going to be anything but another "Chasin' the Sky."

Brian's non-involvement is often cited, and how it was a weird power play thing with Landy, etc. But lost in that discussion often is that it probably wasn't a big deal *at the time* because it was just another random soundtrack bit that they had done several times.

Mike, in "Endless Harmony", uses an interesting wording when discussing work on the track: "Brian was called and asked to be a part of Kokomo." He talks about the session and the song as if it's an *EVENT*, not simply a one-off vocal session for a random soundtrack. But nobody, including Mike, thought it was going to be a big event or a huge hit. To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, I don't think Mike has often or ever claimed he just *knew* it was going to be a #1 prior to it being released.

In any event, Mike takes way more credit for the song's impact on the band and its history, and rates it far higher, than he should. In turn, maybe some fans minimize it too much. It's easy to sound like a naysayer to try to put the whole thing in perspective. It was #1 for ONE week, and everything Love and Melcher did after that stunk up the charts (or didn't chart at all). It's a pretty textbook example of a fluke; a very good fluke for the band, and one that deserves credit for crafting a catchy song.

There are people like Al Jardine who, while clearly not being enamored with the song, will gladly point out it was a good shot I the arm for the band. I'd wager even Brian would say so.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:08:08 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 01:12:43 PM »

Also worth pointing out is that Brian's non-participation in the "Kokomo" session isn't necessarily that big of a deal in reference to Mike's attitude about the song. That is, the most Brian involvement would have been singing some background vocals. I don't think they were inviting Brian to be a fifth co-writer on the song.

To the degree Mike would have or ultimately did bandy about the "I made a hit without Brian" argument, he could have pretty much made that argument even if Brian had recorded background vocals.

It's also interesting that looking at something like Al mostly single-handedly crafting a relative hit (and certainly a relative fluke of a hit) with "Come Go With Me", I don't think Al ever gleefully noted he did it without Brian, etc.

Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 09:25:49 PM »

I would presume that the Chaplin/Faartar era of The Beach Boys might be Mike's least favorite era. On stage Carl was front and center (Carl was in the middle).

The Stamos produced Mike movie seems to go straight from Brian cracking up to Endless Summer with nothing between.

To,a large extent, Mike seems to have blocked out the years from 1968 through 1973.
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »

Has anyone asked Mike about his contributions to "We Got Love?"  I presume lyrics but that's another Blondie/Ricky song.

I have a vague recollection that Mike was asked about the song in an interview in the last few years (perhaps the "Holland" themed issue of ESQ?) and he didn't have any specific recollection of what he added. I don't think he claimed he didn't contribute. Rather, he just didn't have any specific recollections on that one.

And I would like to add that Mikes neglect of those years is too bad because they include some of his very best work.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 09:39:48 PM »

I would presume that the Chaplin/Faartar era of The Beach Boys might be Mike's least favorite era. On stage Carl was front and center (Carl was in the middle).

The Stamos produced Mike movie seems to go straight from Brian cracking up to Endless Summer with nothing between.

To,a large extent, Mike seems to have blocked out the years from 1968 through 1973.

Of course he did, he blocks out and forgets a lot from certain eras or certain topics entirely - see my comments about selective memory and tending to remember what fits the narrative of the moment. With that specific era, especially with Blondie and Ricky, he had yet to put his brothers in charge and he was less the "frontman" than he was a fellow member of a kick-ass ensemble that played rock and roll on stage as a group. I don't think Mike wants to be anything but the center of attention on stage, hence any continuation or revisit of C50 being scuppered because Mike thought the fans would rather see him fronting his band instead. Man, was he wrong.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »

Of course he did, he blocks out and forgets a lot from certain eras or certain topics entirely - see my comments about selective memory and tending to remember what fits the narrative of the moment. With that specific era, especially with Blondie and Ricky, he had yet to put his brothers in charge and he was less the "frontman" than he was a fellow member of a kick-ass ensemble that played rock and roll on stage as a group. I don't think Mike wants to be anything but the center of attention on stage, hence any continuation or revisit of C50 being scuppered because Mike thought the fans would rather see him fronting his band instead. Man, was he wrong.

Sad part is, he was at his best during that period. Actually, I'll extend it from 1967 through 1973.  I'll go one forward...if he retired in 1973, NOBODY would take him for granted or criticize him. But he had Dale Murphy disease,  in that when he declined talent - wise,  he REALLY lost his ability quickly

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 03:42:13 PM »

I wish that Brian was well enough to go to book signings and answer questions.

Who's to say he's not? It  just probably isn't his thing.

I think Brian did do a couple last year when the book was initially released. 

I think Brian would be surprised to hear he doesn't do book signings since he is schedule to do one next month:

Brian Wilson, founder of The Beach Boys, signing copies of I Am Brian Wilson
10/19/17 7:00 PM at Barnes & Noble – Grove Drive. Los Angeles, CA

via http://celebritybooksigningsandevents.com/

Anybody know if the Autopen machine did any live signing events?
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2017, 12:15:18 PM »

I wish that Brian was well enough to go to book signings and answer questions.

Who's to say he's not? It  just probably isn't his thing.

I think Brian did do a couple last year when the book was initially released. 
Funny how no explanation was ever given--completely swept under the rug.
I think Brian would be surprised to hear he doesn't do book signings since he is schedule to do one next month:

Brian Wilson, founder of The Beach Boys, signing copies of I Am Brian Wilson
10/19/17 7:00 PM at Barnes & Noble – Grove Drive. Los Angeles, CA

via http://celebritybooksigningsandevents.com/

Anybody know if the Autopen machine did any live signing events?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx