gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:54:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Turn it up, it's The Beach Boys..."  (Read 7301 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »

Cool new song/tribute by Weezer:
https://youtu.be/RsG37JcEQNw

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:08:15 AM »

Not especially fond of the song but it's ok.

Rivers Cuomo must be in a BBs bender, as the previous album had the (I think much better) BBs-inspired Endless Bummer.

https://youtu.be/wZ09_E7dy5I

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:39:38 AM »

At one point one of them quotes Murray Wilson. 'I have 3000 words to say. Sing from the heart'

Not my cup of tea, but I admirs the sentiment 100%

And if it turns anyone on to the boys, that's no bad thing.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 10:04:17 AM »

It's a nice tribute, but it's not for me. I've never been crazy about the tributes to the BBs. Barenaked Ladies, The Queers, Weezer...not my kinda stuff. But I agree with Hickory about if it turns anyone on to the BBs that it's not a bad thing.

*The only tribute to the BBs that I've ever liked was by a band called The Sand Of Times with a song called Beach Boys '76.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:11:23 AM by Mike Garneau » Logged
KDS
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »

I never understood the attraction to Weezer's music.  When I used to frequent a friendly neighborhood bar on Saturday nights, once it got to be around midnight, somebody would always play their song "Say It's Not So" on the jukebox, and almost the entire bar (mostly people my age) would belt out the chorus. 

On the plus side, many guys that I went to high school with who were into Weezer were kind of in that "too cool for school" crowd, who would likely dismiss The Beach Boys.  Maybe this tribute will convince them to give the Boys another listen.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:43:53 PM »

I still don't understand why so many people feel that it's important that more people get turned on to the Beach Boys.  The whole "if it gets people listening to the Beach Boys, then it's a good thing"...I don't really understand.  The Beach Boys are one of the most famous bands ever.  Brian is almost universally regarded as a genius.  Yes, 95% of people only know their surf songs...but who cares?  It's not my problem if people don't know how good Holland or Love You is.  In fact, it makes being a fan better.  When Paul McCartney came to my city the tickets sold out in about a nanosecond, even the ones that were literally thousands of dollars.  I only got tickets because they released a block of (really bad) seats the day before the show and I got lucky.  When Brian came to my city I sat in the front row for about 70 bucks a ticket. 

I wholeheartedly agree that Brian and co deserve the utmost in recognition and respect, but I think they already have it.   
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »

I still don't understand why so many people feel that it's important that more people get turned on to the Beach Boys.  The whole "if it gets people listening to the Beach Boys, then it's a good thing"...I don't really understand.  The Beach Boys are one of the most famous bands ever.  Brian is almost universally regarded as a genius.  Yes, 95% of people only know their surf songs...but who cares?  It's not my problem if people don't know how good Holland or Love You is.  In fact, it makes being a fan better.  When Paul McCartney came to my city the tickets sold out in about a nanosecond, even the ones that were literally thousands of dollars.  I only got tickets because they released a block of (really bad) seats the day before the show and I got lucky.  When Brian came to my city I sat in the front row for about 70 bucks a ticket. 

I wholeheartedly agree that Brian and co deserve the utmost in recognition and respect, but I think they already have it.   

You may not understand why, but your post makes it perfectly clear. It's your thing that makes you feel special and you don't want anyone else to share it.

Sorry, but you're a........hipster!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »

I still don't understand why so many people feel that it's important that more people get turned on to the Beach Boys.  The whole "if it gets people listening to the Beach Boys, then it's a good thing"...I don't really understand.  The Beach Boys are one of the most famous bands ever.  Brian is almost universally regarded as a genius.  Yes, 95% of people only know their surf songs...but who cares?  It's not my problem if people don't know how good Holland or Love You is.  In fact, it makes being a fan better.  When Paul McCartney came to my city the tickets sold out in about a nanosecond, even the ones that were literally thousands of dollars.  I only got tickets because they released a block of (really bad) seats the day before the show and I got lucky.  When Brian came to my city I sat in the front row for about 70 bucks a ticket.  

You may not understand why, but your post makes it perfectly clear. It's your thing that makes you feel special and you don't want anyone else to share it.

I am not!  I thought there wasn't supposed to be any name-calling on this board, anyway.  Sheesh.  

No really, it's not that I don't want to share my special thing - quite the contrary.  I love meeting other people who really love the BBs and discussing them.  I'm not under any illusion that I'm the only person who loves them.  I'm perfectly happy to share with others members of the Church of Beach Boys.  I just don't feel the need to go out and recruit new members, that's all.  

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:15:44 PM by marcella27 » Logged
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »

I am not!  I thought there wasn't supposed to be any name-calling on this board, anyway.  Sheesh.  

It was a lighthearted response to your rather condecending post. You know, the sort that begins "I can't understand why people think this, the idiots"

But the fact you got offended is rather telling.  Maybe you'd better have another craft beer.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:26:14 PM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 02:27:19 PM »

It was a lighthearted response to your rather condecending post. You know, the sort that begins "I can't understand why people think this, the idiots"

But the fact you got offended is rather telling.  Maybe you'd better have another craft beer.

Um, I was joking. 
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 02:29:42 PM »

E
Um, I was joking. 

As was I

Shall I add an emoticon?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 03:02:38 PM »

I never understood the attraction to Weezer's music.  When I used to frequent a friendly neighborhood bar on Saturday nights, once it got to be around midnight, somebody would always play their song "Say It's Not So" on the jukebox, and almost the entire bar (mostly people my age) would belt out the chorus. 

On the plus side, many guys that I went to high school with who were into Weezer were kind of in that "too cool for school" crowd, who would likely dismiss The Beach Boys.  Maybe this tribute will convince them to give the Boys another listen.

I always thought Weezer was great for writing hooks and basic songs, but there was never much in the way of texture or arrangements. Clean-tone or distorted-tone guitar, power chords, zzzzz. Catchy enough to keep me from immediately turning it off, but that's about it for me historically.

The funny thing about those fans you describe is that they obviously don't get that Rivers Cuomo was and is an uncool music nerd, not the type with any room to talk about being too cool for the Beach Boys at all.

But in the end I'm with marcella27, actually: I don't care that much whether anyone likes the Beach Boys. Ideally my friends would, so they would tolerate me more when I'm manning iTunes. And I guess if they'd actually pay for music, then I'd like the outcome of increased sales (e.g., more releases). But as far as caring what music somebody else likes, I just don't.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 03:37:14 PM »

I agree with Marcella too.  I wonder if there is a Four Seasons board somewhere where a few die hards are hoping to still increase the Seasons' popularity.

Folks, we (fans of the BBs) in general are getting to be a pretty darned old demographic.  We've had our say, and shouldn't be re-fighting the battle of the sixties bands ad nauseam.  Few care, time moves on, etc.  I'm pretty sure not many younger folks are listening to the BBs in any great numbers....

Bing Crosby was massively popular in his time, few think of him or his music now.  It is not unlikely a similar fate will befall the BBs music.  Does it really matter anyway?

Like a great economist once said, "in the long run, we are all dead".  So eat drink and be merry and listen to whatever cult band turns you on....
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »

In history, only two acts have sold over a billion records. Elvis Presley and The Beatles. One of them is seeing his stock plummeting now, due to his fan base getting older and dying, Elvis. It's come to the point where UK papers are giving away his albums. Elvis memorabilia and old Sun 45's, watch them get cheaper and cheaper. Same thing will happen to The Beatles. Only a decade sets them apart. If the two best-selling acts in history will fade, so will The Beach Boys. Who knows what people will listen to one, two, or five hundred years from now.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 04:31:35 PM »

"Say It Ain't So" is pretty fuckin' overplayed. It's the one weak link of their early years. Try the Pinkerton album and the abandoned Songs From the Black Hole project on for size instead.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »

In history, only two acts have sold over a billion records. Elvis Presley and The Beatles. One of them is seeing his stock plummeting now, due to his fan base getting older and dying, Elvis. It's come to the point where UK papers are giving away his albums. Elvis memorabilia and old Sun 45's, watch them get cheaper and cheaper. Same thing will happen to The Beatles. Only a decade sets them apart. If the two best-selling acts in history will fade, so will The Beach Boys. Who knows what people will listen to one, two, or five hundred years from now.

Possibly, but The Beatles and The Beach Boys are arguably more popular with younger generations than Elvis Presley. Sure, they all know Elvis, but that's a different matter than actually listening to his music. A lot of kids listen to The Beatles and The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:08:02 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 08:03:41 PM »

I agree with Marcella too.  I wonder if there is a Four Seasons board somewhere where a few die hards are hoping to still increase the Seasons' popularity.

Folks, we (fans of the BBs) in general are getting to be a pretty darned old demographic.  We've had our say, and shouldn't be re-fighting the battle of the sixties bands ad nauseam.  Few care, time moves on, etc.  I'm pretty sure not many younger folks are listening to the BBs in any great numbers....

Bing Crosby was massively popular in his time, few think of him or his music now.  It is not unlikely a similar fate will befall the BBs music.  Does it really matter anyway?

Like a great economist once said, "in the long run, we are all dead".  So eat drink and be merry and listen to whatever cult band turns you on....

With all due respect, I don't think this is true, at least in terms of BB/BW fans. I've always seen healthy numbers of 20-, 30- and 40-somethings at shows. It's true on this board, too -- I'd guess the majority of posters are well south of 50. This is a trick that some so-called fans like to play -- acting as though this is only something old farts care about, so why shouldn't Mike defile the catalogue however his warped mind chooses? If you accept the proposition that the music is vital and continues to attract young audiences -- which is does -- then everyone involved has a responsibility to present it in the best way possible.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 10:41:41 PM »

I agree with Marcella too.  I wonder if there is a Four Seasons board somewhere where a few die hards are hoping to still increase the Seasons' popularity.

Folks, we (fans of the BBs) in general are getting to be a pretty darned old demographic.  We've had our say, and shouldn't be re-fighting the battle of the sixties bands ad nauseam.  Few care, time moves on, etc.  I'm pretty sure not many younger folks are listening to the BBs in any great numbers....

Bing Crosby was massively popular in his time, few think of him or his music now.  It is not unlikely a similar fate will befall the BBs music.  Does it really matter anyway?

Like a great economist once said, "in the long run, we are all dead".  So eat drink and be merry and listen to whatever cult band turns you on....

With all due respect, I don't think this is true, at least in terms of BB/BW fans. I've always seen healthy numbers of 20-, 30- and 40-somethings at shows. It's true on this board, too -- I'd guess the majority of posters are well south of 50. This is a trick that some so-called fans like to play -- acting as though this is only something old farts care about, so why shouldn't Mike defile the catalogue however his warped mind chooses? If you accept the proposition that the music is vital and continues to attract young audiences -- which is does -- then everyone involved has a responsibility to present it in the best way possible.
S
Yes, yes and yes. Thank you Wirestone. And the reason this music keeps getting rediscovered is that it is young, vital music. I want people to discover it. I want it to live long after it's creators are gone.  If one young Weezer fan becomes a lifelong lover of the Beach Boys then I ask again? How is that not a good thing? This music deserves to live a long long time.

And there is a huge difference in saying 'I don't care if people discover the Beach Boys' to 'I don't understand why you'd want people to discover the Beach Boys'. Which is how Marcella put it.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:54:53 PM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 01:43:11 AM »

+1

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 01:45:06 AM »

Possibly, but The Beatles and The Beach Boys are arguably more popular with younger generations than Elvis Presley. Sure, they all know Elvis, but that's a different matter than actually listening to his music. A lot of kids listen to The Beatles and The Beach Boys.

Yup. Of course, my daughter listens to Elvis too, which is funny because she did not get that from me, and probably knows more than I do in that regard!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 03:57:34 AM »

The tribute idea is nIce enough, the best thing about this song for me. Otherwise, not my cup of tea, I only listened to about 1/2 the song before I turned it off though. Again, nice idea.
KDS
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 05:11:13 AM »

I always thought Weezer was great for writing hooks and basic songs, but there was never much in the way of texture or arrangements. Clean-tone or distorted-tone guitar, power chords, zzzzz. Catchy enough to keep me from immediately turning it off, but that's about it for me historically.

The funny thing about those fans you describe is that they obviously don't get that Rivers Cuomo was and is an uncool music nerd, not the type with any room to talk about being too cool for the Beach Boys at all.

But in the end I'm with marcella27, actually: I don't care that much whether anyone likes the Beach Boys. Ideally my friends would, so they would tolerate me more when I'm manning iTunes. And I guess if they'd actually pay for music, then I'd like the outcome of increased sales (e.g., more releases). But as far as caring what music somebody else likes, I just don't.

I don't think the Weezer fans I knew in HS knew that.  But, I'm pretty sure the hipsters who sang along to the songs at the bar I used to go to were well aware. 
KDS
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 05:12:11 AM »

WHOA WHOA......I've seen people called some nasty things on this board, but this is way over the line. 

LOL
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »

I love "say it aint so" and that "endless bummer" song is really good (first time I heard it) - not too keen on this new one though - chorus is a big problem.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:12:03 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 06:22:05 AM »

I love "say it aint so" and that "endless bummer" song is really good (first time I heard it) - not too keen on this new one though - chorus is a big problem.

The chorus seems to be a problem for a lot of folks. I'm just glad of another song to add to my list of songs that mention "The Beach Boys": Grin

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/beachboysforum/songs-that-mention-the-beach-boys-t663-s40.html#p17640

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx