gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:06:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The first Pet Sounds Tour, 2002 - a precedent?  (Read 4075 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2017, 05:51:13 PM »

I was there, RFH! Brian was 59, going on 60. Four years earlier, he'd started touring again, in a small way, Roxy CD. To me, those first PS gigs at RFH, I was so excited, a dream come true. Couldn't sleep the first night. It was also Brian at his most engaged and enthusiastic. His voice of course better than that of today. I've seen Brian live over twenty times, and SMiLE two years later was another highlight, but PS, in its entirety, did he set a precedent there? Was that the first time a major artist performed a key album in its entirety? Many others copied the idea, Zombies, Arthur Lee, and many, many more. But was Brian first?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:23:05 PM by GoogaMooga » Logged
KDS
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:25:33 PM »

I was there, RFH! Brian was 59, going on 60. Four years earlier, he'd started touring again, in a small way, Roxy CD. To me, those first PS gigs at RFH, I was so excited, a dream come true. Couldn't sleep the first night. It was also Brian at his most engaged and enthusiastic. His voice of course better than that of today. I've seen Brian live over twenty times, and SMiLE two years later was another highlight, but PS, in its entirety, did he set a precedent there? Was that the first time a major artist performed a key album in its entirety? Many others copied the idea, Zombies, Arthur Lee, and many, many more. But was Brian first?

Pink Floyd played Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety at the end of their 1994 Tour.  Thats the earliest instance I know of off hand of an artist playing a classic album in concert.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »

Pink Floyd played Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety at the end of their 1994 Tour.  Thats the earliest instance I know of off hand of an artist playing a classic album in concert.

Im wrong.  The Who took Tommy on the road in 1989.   

Then, did Quadrophenia in 1996.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:40:13 PM »

Good recall! Thanks, KDS. I still think that Brian's show started the trend more than anything.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:41:59 PM »

Either Roger Waters or Pink Floyd also did "The Wall" quite early on.
KDS
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »

Either Roger Waters or Pink Floyd also did "The Wall" quite early on.

Floyd did The Wall in 1980-1, but it was more to promote the at the time new album. 

Waters did a one off Wall show at the former site of the Berlin Wall in 1990, then eventually toured it 2010-12.

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 07:39:03 PM »

I was there too.  August 16, 2002 at the Avalon Ballroom in Boston. It was the first time I saw him solo (seen him a dozen times since). I agree completely with Googa about Brian's enthusiasm and his voice back then. The First Pet Sounds Tour and the Smile Tour were the most memorable and amazing shows I saw him do. And it does seem that since those Pet Sounds and Smile tours some other artists have picked up on the "classic album" tours. I just saw The Damned perform two of their classic albums  3D
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 10:04:46 PM »

I agree the Pet Sounds tours in 2000 and Smile tours 2004-05 were OUTSTANDING.. Saw PS in  Santa Barbara and Hollywood bowl with orchestras..Didnt BW play PS in England and Europe in 2001 + 02.. ? I saw the short PS tour 2007 with 1st appearance  of Alan Jardine..The ovation for Al when he came out in Long Beach Ca  brought tears to my eyes.. Welcoming back an old friend... Memories.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 12:21:12 AM »

I agree the Pet Sounds tours in 2000 and Smile tours 2004-05 were OUTSTANDING.. Saw PS in  Santa Barbara and Hollywood bowl with orchestras..Didnt BW play PS in England and Europe in 2001 + 02.. ? I saw the short PS tour 2007 with 1st appearance  of Alan Jardine..The ovation for Al when he came out in Long Beach Ca  brought tears to my eyes.. Welcoming back an old friend... Memories.

Brian's first Euro PS show was RFH, January 29, 2002. I was there for two nights, arrived a bit late the second night. He returned in summer 2002 for more PS shows. I caught those as well. But it was only in January that he performed "'Til I Die" . So I only saw him do that once, due to being late the second night. He NEVER performed it again, in all the concerts since. I think it might have been too painful for him, considering his personal losses (Dernnis, Carl). I know he thinks about his brothers every day.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 04:19:35 AM »

Didn't Elton John play the whole of Captain Fantastic in Wembley in 1975? It was a new album then so not the best idea perhaps.
KDS
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 05:22:53 AM »

Didn't Elton John play the whole of Captain Fantastic in Wembley in 1975? It was a new album then so not the best idea perhaps.

I think you're right, but at the time it wasn't too uncommon for bands, especially prog bands, to play full new albums. 

Floyd did so with Dark Side, Wish You Here Were, Animals (though not quite the same order as the LP), and The Wall.  Waters did it in 1984 with his first solo album. 

Genesis did The Lamb. 

In the late 80s, Queensryche did Operation: Mindcrime. 

As recently as 2006, Iron Maiden played their (at the time) new album A Matter of Life & Death in full. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 06:25:47 AM »

I wouldn't leap to assume that Brian particularly set the trend of performing full albums in concert. Not only had it been done before, but the concept itself isn't exactly a mind-blowing, out of left field idea at its core. I would imagine most bands/artists that weren't singles-oriented artists, artists that were *good enough* to do full albums of good material, surely batted around the idea of doing it.

Indeed, the idea of performing PS in full had been floated in the 80s and 90s. Session drummer Scott Matthews claimed he pitched the idea to the BBs in the early 80s. Al Jardine mentioned floating the idea in the mid-late 90s while Carl was still alive, with Carl allegedly nixing the idea because he felt Brian wasn't up to it.

I'm sure Brian's PS tour helped make the vintage-album-themed tour a more common/popular thing, but I doubt most of the post-2000 instances of bands performing full albums in concert were specifically spurred by Brian's tour.

Also, for the sake of accuracy (especially if we're trying to find examples of full albums being performed that pre-date Brian's first PS tour), it should be pointed out that Brian's *first* PS shows were in the North America in 2000 (rather than 2002 as suggested in the subject line).

The Cure performed THREE full albums in a row live in shows in 2002 and released the results; I'm curious if there are many other bands that have done two or, in this case THREE full albums all in one show.

There was an article I remember reading that did point out some of the odd results of the "full album in concert" trend, such as Cheap Trick doing their "Live at Budokan" album years later live (but hey, I don't think BB fans would have sneezed at the the BBs in the 90s doing the '73 "In Concert" album setlist, right?), or other artist doing their official "Greatest Hits" album front-to-back.

As was already alluded to, doing a new/contemporary album in full in concert is a different beast than digging up an old (usually famous) album and doing it years later. The former is undoubtedly more ballsy. An even rarer scenario is digging out a vintage, ancient album, but one that is lesser-known. I somehow doubt we'll get a Paul McCartney "Press to Play Tour" anytime soon. For that matter, I tend to doubt we'll ever see a BB-related group do anything outside of Smile or PS as far as vintage BB albums.

How about the extremely rare scenario of a band doing *another artist's* full album? I think Phish may be one of the only cases, where they were regularly doing full cover albums back in the 90s (White Album, Talking Heads, etc.).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:30:02 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 06:41:35 AM »

I wouldn't leap to assume that Brian particularly set the trend of performing full albums in concert. Not only had it been done before, but the concept itself isn't exactly a mind-blowing, out of left field idea at its core. I would imagine most bands/artists that weren't singles-oriented artists, artists that were *good enough* to do full albums of good material, surely batted around the idea of doing it.

Indeed, the idea of performing PS in full had been floated in the 80s and 90s. Session drummer Scott Matthews claimed he pitched the idea to the BBs in the early 80s. Al Jardine mentioned floating the idea in the mid-late 90s while Carl was still alive, with Carl allegedly nixing the idea because he felt Brian wasn't up to it.

I'm sure Brian's PS tour helped make the vintage-album-themed tour a more common/popular thing, but I doubt most of the post-2000 instances of bands performing full albums in concert were specifically spurred by Brian's tour.

Also, for the sake of accuracy (especially if we're trying to find examples of full albums being performed that pre-date Brian's first PS tour), it should be pointed out that Brian's *first* PS shows were in the North America in 2000 (rather than 2002 as suggested in the subject line).

The Cure performed THREE full albums in a row live in shows in 2002 and released the results; I'm curious if there are many other bands that have done two or, in this case THREE full albums all in one show.

There was an article I remember reading that did point out some of the odd results of the "full album in concert" trend, such as Cheap Trick doing their "Live at Budokan" album years later live (but hey, I don't think BB fans would have sneezed at the the BBs in the 90s doing the '73 "In Concert" album setlist, right?), or other artist doing their official "Greatest Hits" album front-to-back.

As was already alluded to, doing a new/contemporary album in full in concert is a different beast than digging up an old (usually famous) album and doing it years later. The former is undoubtedly more ballsy. An even rarer scenario is digging out an vintage, ancient album, but one that is lesser-known. I somehow doubt we'll get a Paul McCartney "Press to Play Tour" anytime soon. For that matter, I tend to doubt we'll ever see a BB-related group do anything outside of Smile or PS as far as vintage BB albums.

How about the extremely rare scenario of a band doing *another artist's* full album? I think Phish may be one of the only cases, where they were regularly doing full cover albums back in the 90s (White Album, Talking Heads, etc.).

I think Cheap Trick did Sgt Peppers in concert a few years ago, and released a live album for it.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 07:16:07 AM »

I was there too.  August 16, 2002 at the Avalon Ballroom in Boston. It was the first time I saw him solo (seen him a dozen times since). I agree completely with Googa about Brian's enthusiasm and his voice back then. The First Pet Sounds Tour and the Smile Tour were the most memorable and amazing shows I saw him do. And it does seem that since those Pet Sounds and Smile tours some other artists have picked up on the "classic album" tours. I just saw The Damned perform two of their classic albums  3D

I was at the same show.  I loved the Van Dyke Parks orchestral Pet Sounds suite as well - I wish a recording of that was released officially.  Kind of a prelude to the Smile suite transitions.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 07:46:51 AM »

As was already alluded to, doing a new/contemporary album in full in concert is a different beast than digging up an old (usually famous) album and doing it years later. The former is undoubtedly more ballsy. An even rarer scenario is digging out an vintage, ancient album, but one that is lesser-known. I somehow doubt we'll get a Paul McCartney "Press to Play Tour" anytime soon. For that matter, I tend to doubt we'll ever see a BB-related group do anything outside of Smile or PS as far as vintage BB albums.

Thanks, Jude, for enlightening us. I posited the idea as a question, because I did notice a flurry of live concerts featuring whole albums after 2002. Don't forget, Brian got an awful lot of press, at least in the UK. CD and DVD followed. But I agree that the idea wasn't exactly novel or groundbreaking. Would the American PS concerts in 2000 count as a tour? Or were they one-offs (at the time).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:47:44 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 08:25:07 AM »

Thanks, Jude, for enlightening us. I posited the idea as a question, because I did notice a flurry of live concerts featuring whole albums after 2002. Don't forget, Brian got an awful lot of press, at least in the UK. CD and DVD followed. But I agree that the idea wasn't exactly novel or groundbreaking. Would the American PS concerts in 2000 count as a tour? Or were they one-offs (at the time).

The 2000 dates were definitely a full tour by most any definition, separated into several legs. I think the PS dates in 2000 amounted to approximately 35 shows in North America. It was a full-on tour, with tour programs and t-shirts and the whole deal.

A rough count shows he did 35 PS shows in 2000 and about 34 PS shows in 2002 across Europe and other territories (including some US dates). The "North American" tour in 2000 was, by any measure, longer in terms of number of shows than the UK/Europe/Australia/Japan 2002 tour.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:28:06 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx