gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:24:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Get well Bruce!  (Read 20172 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »

I need a beer and a shower after that...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2017, 11:30:31 AM »

I need a beer and a shower after that...
Couldn't take one full minute of that crap. Sanitized my desktop just in case. 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »

Haha, you need a deep cleaner! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2017, 11:35:02 AM »

I'll try some Gunk, the best degreaser on the shelf.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2017, 11:42:20 AM »

Or Pet Sounds! Grin

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »

The harmonies sound so off without Bruce- even sour.

I was watching that Washington State Fair part 2 clip, and Little Deuce Coupe didn't sound as good as it normally does. I think Bruce plays a larger role than many of us give him credit for, even if it's simply filling out the harmonies. I think the absence of Bruce's keyboard makes no difference, because who knows if its even plugged in, but the vocals are really desperate of someone who can sing those BBs middle harmonies be it Bruce or Al...

Anyway, I'm a huge supporter of M&B but not sure how I feel about just Mike & Stamos, and thats not meant to diss Stamos... I don't think Dean Torrence is playing much right now, he could probably fill in for Bruce's parts. Dean normally sings falsetto, but he's been playing BBs songs since J&D covered two BBs tracks on their J&D TAKE LINDA SURFIN album in '63, so he probably knows the harmonies inside and out. Plus, Dean does a great lead on Little Deuce Coupe, which I'd love to see him do in 2017 with The Beach Boys, not to mention the falsetto on Barbara Ann.

***Also Mike f***ed up the lyrics on I Get Around and I don't think I've ever heard him mess up lyrics before.... Maybe having Bruce gone is throwing him off too?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:35:11 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »

M&B should retire....

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »

I disagree. Under normal circumstances, The Beach Boys touring band does a great job of performing the music the way it sounds on the record- credit mostly to Scott Totten.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »

Despite still being bitter about his inexcusable blow-up at me last month, I will take this moment to wish Bruce a speedy recovery...the band needs him. Those clips solidify two things...first, his voice is crucial. I'm stunned that they're just letting that go. You'd think that somewhere in the vast universe of the Beach Boys, they could've found somebody on the West Coast that could sing those harmony parts. Second, his keyboard is utterly inconsequential to the audience mix. He is playing sometimes, but I sat right in front of him for the whole show last month and studied his motions. I did not hear one note from his keyboard the whole night. If this is what the future looks like, Mike will need to make lineup changes again to even out the harmonies.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2017, 05:19:33 PM »

I totally agree about his keyboard, however Scott Totten told me that Bruce is plugged in audible on Darlin (main piano), certain parts of Good Vibrations, and Disney Girls. Maybe Scott is just saying this to keep up Bruce's reputation, but I honestly doubt that he would lie to me.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2017, 06:07:40 PM »

M&B should retire....

Well beyond the time, like 1998, for those two to throw in the sponge and get outta the business. Go ahead mYke, make my day.  Evil

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2017, 07:06:46 PM »

I totally agree about his keyboard, however Scott Totten told me that Bruce is plugged in audible on Darlin (main piano), certain parts of Good Vibrations, and Disney Girls. Maybe Scott is just saying this to keep up Bruce's reputation, but I honestly doubt that he would lie to me.

That's kinda sad...3 songs from in my mind the best keyboard player the BB ever had.  He's a great harmony singer and he's missed big time in those clips.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2017, 07:20:55 PM »

Yeah, Bruce is an incredible keyboardist
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »

Scott gave me the same reply several years ago too. When they play "Disney Girls" I can hear his cheesy electric piano sound...but I've watched for him on Darlin & GV and I can't pick anything out that he's doing. I guess it's just me!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »

Scott gave me the same reply several years ago too. When they play "Disney Girls" I can hear his cheesy electric piano sound...but I've watched for him on Darlin & GV and I can't pick anything out that he's doing. I guess it's just me!

Also, "Be True To Your School" - I've noticed Tim only plays organ and synth solo parts on that one, leaving the piano part to Bruce. On "Good Vibes", it's the tack piano bridge part that Bruce plays live.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2017, 06:27:39 AM »

Just in my opinion, it doesn't help the "Bruce is important instrumentally in the live shows" argument to find the five moments in the show where he's actually playing something and it's mixed into the live mix. Like Al with his guitar, we know Bruce can play piano well. And like Al, I've always just thought of Bruce's stage instrument since the mid 80s or so mainly as a way to allow him to sing without looking weird by just standing there with no instrument.

It's the same as even Brian and the debates since 1999 about what Brian plays or doesn't play. We know Brian can play piano/keyboard. So it's not a question of ability. It's just a question of stage presentation.

With Al or Brian, they play integral parts in their live shows vocally. The problem has sometimes been with Bruce that, especially on the shorter shows where he sings one or no leads, it starts standing out that he seems to be possibly somewhat unneeded, with the main question being how much he remains in the vocal stack. I'd say the same of Brian if he had sung no leads on C50; why even have him there then?

I think all of these guys would be well-served to do some small-scale gigs completely solo, sort of almost a "Q & A" sort of thing with a host/moderator, who could ask them questions and then prompt them to play songs with solo accompaniment. Al did this a bit back around 2012 with some record store appearances. Brian and Bruce could do something like this as well.

I'd rather hear Brian or Bruce or Al do even half-aborted solo live performances of songs as they discuss their life and career than see them burp through "Barbara Ann" again.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:30:42 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2017, 11:36:56 AM »

Yeah there's no doubt they can play, and that for Brian, Al, and Bruce their instruments are for comfort or show. Here's what I think...

1. Brian's keyboard was inaudible in 1999, but even since the SMiLE tour his keyboard is audible, when he decides to play. On the SMiLE tour he did the Wind Chimes solo, and actually when I saw him in 2014 he and Scott did a piano-duet-solo type thing during Barbara Ann. I also think Brian's bass has been audible when he played the encore, and he just played the root notes of the chords.

2. Al's guitar is extremely buried in the mix. When he plays its probably to just fill out the sound, or give him something to do. HOWEVER, he has played lead on Sail On Sailor and Fun, Fun, Fun quite often.

3. Bruce's keyboard is audible for the specific songs where he's needed (tack piano on GV, main piano Be True, main piano Darlin,  DX7 on Disney Girls) but it's inaudible otherwise. Because I've seen him hit keys in between songs and there was no sound.

Again, these are just my thoughts, and I'll once again mention that Brian's actually one hell of a bass player, Al is a solid rhythm guitarist, and Bruce is probably the best keyboardist the group ever had. What a talented group of guys.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »

It would have been really weird to see a BB's concert with Carl just strumming an unamplified guitar. Even when he handed the lead over to someone else, his guitar was always in the mix.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »

Yeah, Carl was always crucial to sounds.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »

Anyone heard more details on what is keeping Bruce out? Expected return?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2017, 06:23:54 AM »

It would have been really weird to see a BB's concert with Carl just strumming an unamplified guitar. Even when he handed the lead over to someone else, his guitar was always in the mix.

Well, assuming for the sake or argument that Al's guitar was often mixed low or out in the live mix and Bruce was often mixed out as well, Carl *had* to play and have his guitar up in the mix, because he was either one of only two other guitarists or the only other sole guitar player in the band for most of those years, especially by the 90s. The band was never a very guitar-heavy band, but if you look at a random show from the 90s after Foskett/Baker were gone and Matt Jardine was the falsetto guy (and didn't play guitar), you only had Al and Carl playing guitar. Ed Carter (and in the last couple years Chris Farmer) was playing bass, and then you had Meros and Hinsche (and later Bonhomme) on keys. Other than Richie Cannata on sax and occasional keys, that was it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »

I hope it's nothing serious and Bruce is soon back with his favourite Mikes. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:36:46 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2017, 06:59:23 AM »

Aside from all the little details, I think we have confirmed that Bruce is crucial to Mike's touring act. His voice is really what makes the harmonies gel, as made obvious by the Washington State Fair clips.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2017, 05:28:14 AM »

Posted to Mike's facebook page this morning:

Welcome home Bruce!! It was wonderful having Bruce back home onstage with us in Sacramento!! Bruce was in well voice and form!! We missed you and happy to have you back!!
Rock on Bruce!!
Peace n Love,
Mike Love
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2017, 05:52:00 AM »

Posted to Mike's facebook page this morning:

Welcome home Bruce!! It was wonderful having Bruce back home onstage with us in Sacramento!! Bruce was in well voice and form!! We missed you and happy to have you back!!
Rock on Bruce!!
Peace n Love,
Mike Love

Thanks, Marty. That's excellent news! w00t!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx