gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:45:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Get well Bruce!  (Read 20176 times)
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »

Bruce's Disney Girls was one of the clear highlights of the recent Beacon show. A truly lovely rendition.

Feel better, Bruce!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »

Quick look-up indicates the only other time Bruce missed a substantial amount of shows was approximately 16 shows in September-October 2004 while recovering from surgery.

Ironically, there are relatively well-known instances of Mike, Carl, and Al all missing random shows in the 80s and 90s, yet I can't recall a report of Bruce missing any shows after rejoining the touring band in late 1978, other than those 2004 shows. It's quite possible (probable?) he missed a show here or there in all those years (as noted, even *Mike* missed some shows in 1983 and 1990 for instance).

What is clear is that if Mike needed to miss a show now, it would be once and for all a case of postponing/rescheduling the show. The Beach Boys weirdly never seemed to postpone/cancel shows even when one of their lead vocalists was missing in the 80s and 90s. Mike's gone? Meh, just have Al sing the leads. The only time they seemed to make *any* arrangements to cover for short-term absences was (for some strange reason) having Gerry Beckley join for some shows in 1990 that Mike missed (even though Beckley didn't really *fill in* for Mike in that he didn't take all of Mike's leads), and some guitarist guy standing in for Carl's lead guitar when Carl missed a few shows in, I believe, 1990.

This of course doesn't count hiring temp players for fill in for backing guys. I recall Mike hiring some guy (Brian Sutherland I believe his name was) to fill in for Christian Love a few years ago.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:51:13 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »

I am truly sorry that Bruce isn't feeling well enough to enjoy doing the things he likes to do.  I hope he enjoys a speedy recovery. Cool

[You'll notice that I don't take swipes at Bruce.] [or Carl, Dennis, David, Al or Brian...or Ricky or Blondie...or Glen for that matter.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »

If Bruce leaves, does Mike continue?

Cook pork throughly
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 05:00:03 PM »

I sure hope Bruce is alright. Surfers' Pajama Party is awesome, and despite his all around general douchiness he's made some nice contributions to music. So hopefully all is well. Wishing him a quick recovery.

What a gracious get well wish.

Oh well. I think he's a douchenozzle. But I also think he's a talented guy who has made some nice music. And while I hope that he stays in good health, I don't think he's the greatest man who ever lived. I think he's been very disrespectful to those who make his lifestyle possible and ergo, I don't think he deserves to be sainted.

However, I hope he sticks around for a long, long time.

You make some reasonable points Jim. Bruce can be an odd duck. Wishing him the very best
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »

If Bruce leaves, does Mike continue?

My guess would be yes.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 06:57:36 AM »

I hope is Bruce goes, Mike will continue with David or at least Dean
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 09:58:22 AM »

If anyone is curious what a Bruce-less show looks like, here you go. From last night's show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gizxcXadimQ

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »

If anyone is curious what a Bruce-less show looks like, here you go. From last night's show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gizxcXadimQ

Two immediate thoughts:

1 - There is no reason to put McGrath's "DO IT! DO IT!" bullshit into that performance of Do It Again.

2 - If you don't care for California Cheeseburgers to begin with, if you do happen to get one, it doesn't matter as much if they forget to put the onion on it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »

The Bruce-less show is depressing. It's literally JUST a Mike Love show, with Bruce you can at least call it Beach Boys, not just a Beach Boy.

Also, having Bruce gone actually makes the backing vocals sound worse... He plays an important part in creating that signature BBs harmony sound in the current group.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:13:24 AM by NateRuvin » Logged
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »

Looks like Stamos is filling in for Bruce for the next week or two...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 12:55:34 PM »

I don't think it's clear whether Stamos was called due to Bruce's absence, or if Stamos was already scheduled to do one of his regular stints.

Either way, he's not in any real sense filling in for Bruce; he doesn't sing in the harmony stack and doesn't play keyboards.

While I posit this more out of amusement than intense interest, does anybody think Stamos would drop his acting deal if Mike wanted him full-time in the band? Or is the whole novelty of the thing that Stamos only drops in from time to time?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:07:10 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 01:41:49 PM »

I don't think it's clear whether Stamos was called due to Bruce's absence, or if Stamos was already scheduled to do one of his regular stints.

Yeah I agree. The reason i thought it was likely is because the first mention of it i could find on stamos twitter was only about 10 days ago. Also, i live in phoenix where theyre playing in a few days and there hasnt been 1 mention in the paper or anything about stamos playing, so it led me to believe this was somewhat last minute. Don't they usually announce his dates more in advance?

Also, stamos isnt an exact "fill-in" for bruce, but it seems like the BB in general don't like to have someone missing without someone replacing them. Just speculation of course. Neither would suprise me.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »

Brian and Al are more than available! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 01:49:53 PM »

I seriously wonder if Brian and Mike will ever speak again before one of them passes...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »

Yeah I agree. The reason i thought it was likely is because the first mention of it i could find on stamos twitter was only about 10 days ago. Also, i live in phoenix where theyre playing in a few days and there hasnt been 1 mention in the paper or anything about stamos playing, so it led me to believe this was somewhat last minute. Don't they usually announce his dates more in advance?

Also, stamos isnt an exact "fill-in" for bruce, but it seems like the BB in general don't like to have someone missing without someone replacing them. Just speculation of course. Neither would suprise me.

I haven't tracked Stamos's guest runs with Mike closely over the years. He typically does the longer runs of the shows with MIke in the summer. So I don't know how common a late summer run in September is.

They announced the Stamos dates before Mike published Bruce's bit about missing shows. But we obviously have no idea how long Bruce's thing has been going on. It's obviously none of our business, so it's unclear if he's just got a bad cold or something, or if it's something more serious.

I'm curious if Mike acknowledged last night (and/or plans to acknowledge in upcoming shows) Bruce's absence. I somehow doubt he ever mentioned in his first non-Al shows in 1998 that Al was absent, but those were obviously quite different circumstances.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »

I seriously wonder if Brian and Mike will ever speak again before one of them passes...

I think all of us can agree it's a sad state of affairs, and considering Brian's stated attitude in 2012, it's Mike who began the estrangement.

But yeah, I can only hope they're not relegated to a Robbie Robertson-Levon Helm deathbed reconciliation (or worse, not even that).

And, at the risk of trying to give advice to a 76-year-old man that I've never met, even as hardened as Mike is and as much as he doesn't like Melinda, I think if something happened to Brian it would affect him *a lot* more than he might even be aware of. I think there are some ghosts and relationships and bonds all buried deep in all of this.

It almost certainly isn't happening, but there's still a chance to for them to personally *and* professionally ride off into the sunset together. Who knows? Let's hope Bruce just has a cold or something, but Bruce missing some gigs certainly reaffirms that the clock is ticking and has been for some time.

I'm not convinced a present-day "Beach Boys" show is much different without Bruce. But a full "reunion" show would start to look a little more chintzy if Bruce wasn't there. He was at least somewhat more prominent at C50 shows and on the TWGMTR album that he is at many if not most Mike shows.

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2017, 04:48:43 PM »

Bruce is a good guy, who should have contributed more, both with songs and on stage. I wouldn't presume to speculate whether it was Bruce's own choice, Mike's, or group decisions. I do know that I would not attend a Mike-led show without Bruce. Not even with Stamos or Torrence, neither of whom I ever saw in concert. Seen a few Mike & Bruce shows, all in Denmark. The first time, at Tivoli, Copenhagen, when Bruce came on stage, followed by Mike and the band, I seriously worried if they could pull it off, which of course they did. At another concert in Frederiksberg, Copenhagen, it was Bruce who came down to the lobby to talk to the Danish fan club, while Mike stayed in his hotel room. At the C50 in Aarhus, Denmark, it was Brian far left, followed by Mike, David, Al, and then Bruce far right. I was mainly focused on Mike and Al, and, at one point, when I did look at Bruce, he laughed, and pointed at himself, gesturing some kind of self-ironic "you're looking at me?".
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2017, 07:52:24 PM »

I thought Stamos was going to make out with Mike at the beginning of Little Honda there. He was basically on top of him
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2017, 08:20:34 PM »

I thought Stamos was going to make out with Mike at the beginning of Little Honda there. He was basically on top of him
Stamos-reason #638 to not see the myKe & Brooth tribute show. Hmmm, if the luhvster gets sick and misses all future shows  w00t! , will Brian, Al, and Blondie become the Beach Boys by default? Could be an interesting can of worms to get into.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2017, 08:44:54 PM »

Disney Girls is always a highlight for me, I just wish he'd rotate with Tears in the Morning and Deirdre
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:15:03 PM by baseball95 » Logged
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2017, 09:09:23 PM »

I was always surprised that, when Carl and Al departed, Mike didn't push Bruce a bit more to the fore for the live shows, if only to remind people more that a long-time member was still there. Why they haven't at least had Bruce singing "Disney Girls" at *every* show instead of random shows here and there, I can't fathom.

Because 95% of the attendees at a Mike show have no idea what "Disney Girls" is.
KDS
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2017, 09:21:18 PM »

Disney Girls is always a highlight for me, I just wish he'd rotate with Tears in the Morning and Deirdre

Id love to hear Tears in the Morning live
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »

Looks like part 2 of the youtube link posted above is available too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOnP8EiNZm8

I guess the enjoyment of this show is an acquired taste. I've watched dozens of these concert videos over the past 5 years or so, and I also think it is missing something without Bruce being there. What that is, I won't even guess. But it's something that's missing when it's not there. Most obvious Bruce isn't there to look at his watch and egg on the crowd during Mike's "wheennnnn" routine.

And this is my opinion only, as always, but it was on display on part one (in Mike's own words and the crowd reactions of parts 1 and 2) what the draw is with John Stamos. It's on full display in the crowd reactions as well as Mike's banter. If that's what makes Mike laugh all the way to the bank, so be it.

And "Forever" to me was better served in terms of Dennis and the legacy when it was the Dennis video tribute portion of Mike's shows. It's hard to see such a brilliant song co-opted into becoming the Full House song with little if any mention that Dennis wrote and recorded it with his band.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »

Looks like part 2 of the youtube link posted above is available too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOnP8EiNZm8

I guess the enjoyment of this show is an acquired taste. I've watched dozens of these concert videos over the past 5 years or so, and I also think it is missing something without Bruce being there. What that is, I won't even guess. But it's something that's missing when it's not there. Most obvious Bruce isn't there to look at his watch and egg on the crowd during Mike's "wheennnnn" routine.

And this is my opinion only, as always, but it was on display on part one (in Mike's own words and the crowd reactions of parts 1 and 2) what the draw is with John Stamos. It's on full display in the crowd reactions as well as Mike's banter. If that's what makes Mike laugh all the way to the bank, so be it.

And "Forever" to me was better served in terms of Dennis and the legacy when it was the Dennis video tribute portion of Mike's shows. It's hard to see such a brilliant song co-opted into becoming the Full House song with little if any mention that Dennis wrote and recorded it with his band.
The few times I've seen it Stamos mentions Dennis when he sings it, this time dedicating it to his girlfriend and then saying he hopes he gets lucky or whatever... that's complete garbage and disrespectful honestly and normally I don't mind Stamos but that was too much. For what it's worth David Marks did a great forever with M&B a few years back and dedicated to Dennis every time. Honestly Stamos is better off singing Good Timin' like he's done. Bruce is definitely missed in a weird way I also can't explain.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx