gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Get well Bruce!  (Read 20167 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »

Looks like Bruce is missing a few shows coming up.

From Mike's Facebook

Hey Boys & Girls,
I am feeling a little under the weather, but I'll be back on the stage before you know it.
See you soon,
Bruce Johnston
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:41:40 PM »

I second that - get well, Bruce!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 12:42:19 PM »

No fun being sick, hope you feel better asap, Bruce!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »

That's concerning. I hope it isn't serious.  Get well soon Bruce!

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »

Wishing Bruce the best and praying for his swift recovery!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »

Sincerely hoping this is just a temporary setback. All the very best, Bruce.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 02:00:21 PM »

How many Bruce-less shows has Mike done since 1998? I recall Bruce was out for a bit in the early-mid 2000s due to surgery or some such?

I wonder if this was coincidental with Stamos rejoining Mike for additional shows this month.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 02:13:51 PM »

I wonder if this was coincidental with Stamos rejoining Mike for additional shows this month.

D'you mean Stamos may have poisoned Bruce?

I suppose it's possible. He seems the type.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »

Guys, please. Give it a break! Thud

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »

Get well Bruce - I'll be clapping for you!
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 02:37:45 PM »

Guys, please. Give it a break! Thud

Apologies

Get well soon Bruce. Smiley

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:44:03 PM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 03:10:47 PM »

I sure hope Bruce is alright. Surfers' Pajama Party is awesome, and despite his all around general douchiness he's made some nice contributions to music. So hopefully all is well. Wishing him a quick recovery.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »

Get well, Bruce.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 06:59:07 PM »

I sure hope Bruce is alright. Surfers' Pajama Party is awesome, and despite his all around general douchiness he's made some nice contributions to music. So hopefully all is well. Wishing him a quick recovery.

What a gracious get well wish.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 07:44:08 PM »

Get well Bruce!

Am currently listening to Take It To Mexico (Tulsa County Blue)
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 08:40:57 PM »

Get well soon Bruce!

Hang on Brucey, Brucey, hang on!   Afro
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 10:08:04 PM »

Ill hold the microphone for ya till you return.. Love ya Bruce.. Get well soon..
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 06:43:08 AM »

Are the Bruce-less shows just Mike?Huh

I can be alright with the BBs being Mike and Bruce, but just Mike is weird.

I know a similar thing happened in 2005, and Dean Torrence filled in for Bruce, which I think is fine. I'd take Torrence over Stamos, in terms of having a convincing BBs band. Dean's singing is crucial to the California Sound even if he wasn't in the BBs
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 06:57:24 AM »

Get Well Soon, Bruce!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »

Are the Bruce-less shows just Mike?Huh

I can be alright with the BBs being Mike and Bruce, but just Mike is weird.

I know a similar thing happened in 2005, and Dean Torrence filled in for Bruce, which I think is fine. I'd take Torrence over Stamos, in terms of having a convincing BBs band. Dean's singing is crucial to the California Sound even if he wasn't in the BBs

Even the most staunch defenders of Mike and his touring band would have to admit Bruce adds little musically to the live shows, and that this has been the case for eons. He may not always be quite as superfluous as it appears; he may well be adding a bit of a bed of backing vocals and sometimes some keyboard (though I recall Howie Edelson pointing to an interview he did with Bruce where Bruce indicated his keyboard playing was for *himself* more than the band), and occasionally he adds his falsetto bits.

But let's be honest, ever since the early-mid 80s when the backing band members started outnumbering the actual "Beach Boys" on stage, Bruce has been to varying degrees kind of superfluous. Make no mistake, he *could have* easily handled a heavier load, doing more lead vocals, etc. Why he has been relegated since he rejoined in 1978 to usually 1-2 leads (and sometimes NONE) at live shows, while having Meros/Hinsche, etc. doing the heavy lifting on keyboards, I honestly don't know.

Back circa 1979/1980, you could still hear Bruce and his Wurlitzer electric piano pretty heavy in the mix. But by the time the backing band ballooned to Meros/Hinsche/Foskett/Cannata, etc. (and sub in the names of the current guys in the band now), Bruce has been somewhat of an ornamentation (ironically in the last 20 years serving a slightly similar role to what Brian did at shows circa 1979/1980).

I've wondered for a number of years whether Mike would have any qualms about continuing on without Bruce. I hope Bruce isn't having any serious problems and that he recovers (if a significant recovery is even needed; I actually hope he's not even dealing with something particularly nefarious), but I don't think much would change either in terms of the on-stage sound or the "fan" attitude (meaning fans who presently attend Mike's shows) if Bruce wasn't in the band. There's no longer (as far as I'm aware) anything in the touring band name license that requires a "second" Beach Boy to be there.

I can't imagine being *fine* with only Mike and Bruce using the name, but somehow only finally drawing the line because Bruce is gone. The name was watered down years ago once it continued in 1998 without Carl and Al.

My comment in a previous post about Stamos was only to wonder aloud whether he was already scheduled to do his routine random stints with Mike prior to whatever it is that came up with Bruce, or if instead Bruce let it be known he had to miss some shows and then Stamos was called. I would guess more the former, because even whatever little bit that Bruce adds to the show is something Stamos can't do. I don't believe Stamos regularly (or ever?) actually is added to the middle of the harmony stack at shows, and the band certainly doesn't need *another* guitarist.

I do wonder, if Bruce has to miss a more extended period of shows, if Mike might call David Marks in.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:45:24 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »

What a gracious get well wish.

Oh well. I think he's a douchenozzle. But I also think he's a talented guy who has made some nice music. And while I hope that he stays in good health, I don't think he's the greatest man who ever lived. I think he's been very disrespectful to those who make his lifestyle possible and ergo, I don't think he deserves to be sainted.

However, I hope he sticks around for a long, long time.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:53:09 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »

Yeah, I think it's quite possible to loathe (or have mixed feelings at best) about someone while still wishing them well.

Bruce is clearly, in some ways, a complicated, weird guy. It isn't as simple as his being a douchebag all the time. Sometimes he's the *nicest* guy of them all, and then other times the meanest. As interviewers have pointed out, he vacillates between treasuring the hardcore fans, and then trying to impress them, and then making fun of them for caring in the first place ("one percenters", "bottom feeders", etc.). Then there are indeed the stories of him actively antagonizing 100% innocent fans *in person*, as if he's literally flipped the switch to another personality.

Sure, a get well thread isn't the best place to sound off on the guy being a douche (witness how every "RIP" thread on the internet turns into an argument about whether all comments should stay positive; clearly it's a complicated issue), but as Bruce is hopefully going to make a quick recovery and this thread isn't so much simply a "Get Well" thread but the *only* thread currently available that is reporting he's missing some shows, and therefore discussion tends to move to what he brings to the live shows, some discussion beyond simple well-wishes is, I think, fine and appropriate.

I've often said, it's kind of stunning that in a band that includes Brian Wilson and Mike Love among others, I might still say Bruce is in many respects the weirdest guy in the band ever.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:10:34 PM by HeyJude » Logged

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »

I think Bruce adds authenticity. Mike is a Beach Boy, and if he was the only Beach Boys in the group, I think it would be inappropriate to call it The Beach BOYS. Bruce is too a Beach Boy, so having two Beach Boys, justifies the name The Beach Boys. Although I'd rather have all of the living members touring together, I'm a defender of Mike's Beach Boys. The Beach Boys have NEVER been a consistent touring group. Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, and Bruce all came and went in terms of the touring group. So as long as the group sounds good (and I think the current M&B band is one of the best sounding incarnations of the group) I'm fine with it, as long as there are multiple Beach Boys. Be it Mike and Bruce, Mike and Dave, hell- even Mike & Dean. Otherwise I would want Mike to tour as Mike Love of The Beach Boys or something like that.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »

I think Bruce adds authenticity. Mike is a Beach Boy, and if he was the only Beach Boys in the group, I think it would be inappropriate to call it The Beach BOYS. Bruce is too a Beach Boy, so having two Beach Boys, justifies the name The Beach Boys. Although I'd rather have all of the living members touring together, I'm a defender of Mike's Beach Boys. The Beach Boys have NEVER been a consistent touring group. Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, and Bruce all came and went in terms of the touring group. So as long as the group sounds good (and I think the current M&B band is one of the best sounding incarnations of the group) I'm fine with it, as long as there are multiple Beach Boys. Be it Mike and Bruce, Mike and Dave, hell- even Mike & Dean. Otherwise I would want Mike to tour as Mike Love of The Beach Boys or something like that.

We all have our own lines that we draw when it comes to use of the name.

My guess is that both folks who don't agree with Mike's use of the name as well as those are fine with it would mostly have the same attitude towards a show without Bruce, which is that it doesn't really change their outlook on the issue.

While the band never had a single consistent lineup, it's important to note that Mike, Al, and Carl were full-time members of the touring band for at least 34 years from 1963-1997 (discounting Carl's year-long absence in 1981 and random one-off instances of all of them missing gigs). So I'd say by leaps and bounds the most sweeping change in that "core" make-up of the band took place in 1998 when, in the course of a few months, two of the three long-time core members that had been there more or less since the beginning were now gone.

So I don't see Bruce's participation as a key issue one way or the other when it has been nearly 20 years since the touring band lost 67% of its original members and 50% of its "official" members.

I might feel differently if Bruce was a more prominent part of Mike's shows, or had *ever* been a prominent part of the show since rejoining in 1978 and/or since having an opportunity to come to the fore more in 1998.

I was always surprised that, when Carl and Al departed, Mike didn't push Bruce a bit more to the fore for the live shows, if only to remind people more that a long-time member was still there. Why they haven't at least had Bruce singing "Disney Girls" at *every* show instead of random shows here and there, I can't fathom.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx