gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
620899 Posts in 24982 Topics by 3549 Members - Latest Member: HotAsIce November 22, 2017, 03:43:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Al Jardine play on the Surfin USA album?  (Read 1175 times)
SurfsUpTillIDie
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »

Everything that I have read points to him as not being in The Beach Boys at the time of the recording of the Surfin USA album. He isn't on the back of the album either, but did he play on any track of Surfin USA?

Thanks!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:44:05 PM »

Everything that I have read points to him as not being in The Beach Boys at the time of the recording of the Surfin USA album. He isn't on the back of the album either, but did he play on any track of Surfin USA?

Thanks!

No.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:02:01 AM »

So this is presumably the only BB album that has not one note of Al's singing or playing, correct? He's on "Surfin'" on the SS album, and on some of the "Surfer Girl" sessions on vocals/bass, and then on into the rest of the albums.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mike Garneau
Smiley Smile Associate

Buy some bananas and apricots.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 07:20:43 AM »

Surfin Safari- on Surfin' only, Al plays acoustic bass and sings backing vocals
Surfin' USA- No Al
Surfer Girl- Al plays some bass, sings some backing vocals and did some hand claps
Little Deuce Coupe- Al plays some bass and sings some backing vocals
Shut Down Volume 2- No more Dave, Al is back full time
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:25:59 AM by Mike Garneau » Logged
SurfsUpTillIDie
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 07:31:31 AM »

That is exactly what I thought! Thank you!
Add Some
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 07:53:34 AM »

I was under the impression that David was, in fact, on a few of the Vol. 2 tunes.  There was some overlap here wasn't there?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Y O U  voted for Trump?   "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "Make America Immigrate Again!!!"  2-faced arsewipist!!!
sweetdudejim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:10:35 AM »

Wait, so maybe my chronology is off, but I thought Al was there for the session at Capitol on April 19th where they did "Lonely Sea" and other stuff. I guess not?
Mike Garneau
Smiley Smile Associate

Buy some bananas and apricots.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 08:11:33 AM »

I was under the impression that David was, in fact, on a few of the Vol. 2 tunes.  There was some overlap here wasn't there?

You may be right about that. Dave has always said that he played on the first 5 Beach Boys albums. But there's no indication from any source I have that Dave is on the Shut Down 2 album. I wish somebody would set the record straight.
KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 08:26:54 AM »

You may be right about that. Dave has always said that he played on the first 5 Beach Boys albums. But there's no indication from any source I have that Dave is on the Shut Down 2 album. I wish somebody would set the record straight.

I always thought the Al to Dave to Al transition in the early years was one of the more murky parts of the early BB.

Any opinions posted by me regarding the music of The Beach Boys, and their members, is in no way a show of disrespect towards any member of The Beach Boys, past or present.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Perhaps I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »

I always thought the Al to Dave to Al transition in the early years was one of the more murky parts of the early BB.

There wouldn't seem to be any more information on David's departure than that recorded in The Lost Beach Boy (p. 98 to end of chapter). Unless more has come to light since then (2007)...

"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 04:09:46 PM »

Wait, so maybe my chronology is off, but I thought Al was there for the session at Capitol on April 19th where they did "Lonely Sea" and other stuff. I guess not?

No - we know for sure now that this was not the case.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 12:27:09 PM »

There wouldn't seem to be any more information on David's departure than that recorded in The Lost Beach Boy (p. 98 to end of chapter). Unless more has come to light since then (2007)...

A 10th anniversary version is being announced soon so we'll have to see!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx