gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:50:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beatles comment on Pisces Brothers?  (Read 4679 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:35:43 AM »

Has Paul, Ringo or any of George's children or Yoko ever commented on Mike Love's song Pisces Brothers? Personally I think its a simple but beautiful song. I know there are Mike Love trolls that trash everything he does, but I would imagine that anyone in the Beatles world would compliment it if they heard it. If not, anyone on this board who has an oppurtunity should ask them!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »

I don't know but something tells me it would go like this:

Paul: I heard it, yeah. That's the thing, really, is that George was a beautiful guy and inspired others.

Ringo: I haven't heard it. (after being informed he heard it yesterday) Oh was that the one? Yeah, well, it was great.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:04:54 AM »

Paul: I heard it, yeah. That's the thing, really, is that George was a beautiful guy and inspired others.

Ringo: I haven't heard it. (after being informed he heard it yesterday) Oh was that the one? Yeah, well, it was great.

Accurate.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:16:12 AM »

Yoko: Who is Mike Love?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:37 AM »

John: Mike Love is a jerk.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:50:42 AM »

Actually, it would probably be a good idea to post it to a Beatles forum and get the reaction. My guess is that most would be kind about the track as it is a harmless song and an ode to a great musician.

I think those scheming Mike Love trolls rag on it because of Mike’s seemingly endless list of d-bag moves throughout the years...it kinda gives justification to people to be more honest about the track. I mean let’s face it, if David Marks recorded this exact song in a basement everyone would heap praise on it no matter what, like they did for Kustom Kar Show. To explain further...

Keeping it realistic ‘Pisces Brothers’ uses probably the most overly used chord progression in the history of pop music, there is nothing at all unique about it. The lyrics are pure cheese, “there is a painting on the wall and as I walk on down the hall” - for this guy to bitch at Van Dyke Parks for writing abstract lyrics then to write a line that wouldn’t even win first prize in a 3rd grade songwriting competition kinda definitely lends justification for people to scratch their heads at the filledeplague level praise this song sometimes gets.

As I say, most would be kind to this song, more likely Beatles fans would regard it as a nice little ode. But seriously, if anyone from this forum gets the one in 500 million chance to talk to Ringo or Paul, spend your time and questions wisely.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:13:43 AM »

I'd guess very few Beatles fans have ever heard it. It wasn't ever really properly released, was it (whatever that means anymore)?

But upon hearing it, they'd probably consider it not that different from the uninteresting, mostly harmless stuff Ringo puts out.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 11:37:02 AM »

I'd guess very few Beatles fans have ever heard it. It wasn't ever really properly released, was it (whatever that means anymore)?

It actually was released this year on a compilation that I can't be bothered to look up right now.

And I would know, since I bought the digital track!

...and yeah...I know! Don't give me too much grief guys!!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 06:51:50 PM »

The song was another bankrupt attempt by myKe luHv to bond with the surviving Beatles, hoping that, maybe this time it would mean beefing up his portfolio. I find the whole exercise to be one of the most insincere attempts at sincerity by any member of any band ever.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 06:32:41 AM »

Has Paul, Ringo or any of George's children or Yoko ever commented on Mike Love's song Pisces Brothers? Personally I think its a simple but beautiful song. I know there are Mike Love trolls that trash everything he does, but I would imagine that anyone in the Beatles world would compliment it if they heard it. If not, anyone on this board who has an oppurtunity should ask them!

None of the Beatles have ever commented on *any* specific Brian or BB-related songs or albums much outside of "Pet Sounds" and a few other things. So I can't imagine why anybody would expect Paul or Ringo or the estates to have commented on an obscure Mike solo track that was an online-only release (and later tucked away on an obscure soundtrack CD). I'm sure Paul and Ringo and the estates have been given a heads-up to about ten billion "tribute" tracks about George (and John, and the Beatles in general, etc.).

I'm pretty sure most everybody in the "Beatles world" would react to Mike trying to attach himself to George with the same reaction that many fans here have, which is something along the lines of "Huh? How much did George Harrison ever even think about Mike Love let alone utter his name in public?"

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »

You see, here is an issue I have with some Mike Love trolls. They assume his motivation for everything is evil.  I think it was a nice tribute of a song. Quite simple but beautiful. Similar to Lonely Sea. Who cares how well he knew him? When Brian and Paul sing a duet of a (in my opinion) worst song 'A Friend Like You' even though they aren't that close either. Just a mutual respect. There is no question Brian s more talented than Mike. Most humans can't touch Brian. However to say Mike has no talent is a bit harsh.

KDS
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 12:08:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure most everybody in the "Beatles world" would react to Mike trying to attach himself to George with the same reaction that many fans here have, which is something along the lines of "Huh? How much did George Harrison ever even think about Mike Love let alone utter his name in public?"

I think it depends.   You may have diehard Beatles fans who have little to no knowledge of the inner workings of The Beach Boys who might not be so quick to question Mike Love's motives.   

I think the overall reaction would range from "that's kinda nice" to "meh." 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 12:24:13 PM »

You see, here is an issue I have with some Mike Love trolls. They assume his motivation for everything is evil.  I think it was a nice tribute of a song. Quite simple but beautiful. Similar to Lonely Sea. Who cares how well he knew him? When Brian and Paul sing a duet of a (in my opinion) worst song 'A Friend Like You' even though they aren't that close either. Just a mutual respect. There is no question Brian s more talented than Mike. Most humans can't touch Brian. However to say Mike has no talent is a bit harsh.

Well, for one thing, Paul was alive.

George had no recourse to stop Mike, that thieving grave-robber.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »

Wasn't Pisces brothers recorded in 2004 and released in 2014 to hop on the Beatles 50th anniversary of coming to the USA? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »

I think it depends.   You may have diehard Beatles fans who have little to no knowledge of the inner workings of The Beach Boys who might not be so quick to question Mike Love's motives.   

I think the overall reaction would range from "that's kinda nice" to "meh." 

Setting aside that most diehard Beatles fans I know are familiar enough with the BBs to know the basic deal with Mike Love (long story short; you're likely to find even *less* folks sympathetic to Mike among hardcore Beatles fans compared to BB fans), even if they aren't familiar with Mike, they're familiar with the Beatles and therefore aware of the *myriad* of folks over the years that have tried to latch on to some sort of connection to the band and/or its members.

I'd submit that even "Alf Bicknell's Beatles Tape" VHS documentary is more legit as far as having a real, legit connection to the band. He really was their driver and really spent a good amount of time with them.

Check out this story related by Paul Saltzman, the only "official" photographer present when Mike and the Beatles were in Rishikesh:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7887.msg129215.html#msg129215

Mike Love was being an opportunist about the whole endeavor even *back then*, seeing it as an opportunity to hobnob with celebrities. That he would attach himself to George decades later makes perfect sense in light of Saltzman's story.

As I always say when Mike does this stuff (I hung out with the Beatles! I'm buddies with Uncle Jessie!, etc.), Mike is someone who *doesn't need* to name drop. He has a legit resume all his own. He's on singles and albums voted the top of all time in various polls (ironically, Mike often reminds everyone of *that* fact as well!).  

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »

Well, for one thing, Paul was alive.

George had no recourse to stop Mike, that thieving grave-robber.

Plus, however close Paul and Brian are (and by any measure they're closer than George Harrison and MIKE LOVE ever were), they actually recorded the song together.

Had Mike Love successfully convinced George Harrison to record "Pisces Brothers" *with him* in the 90s or something, then I think Mike latching onto George would have like a million times more validity.

The Paul-Brian reference is also worth highlighting for this reason. As Howie Edelson and others who are experts concerning both the BB and Beatles have pointed out in the past, the connection and admiration for the BBs from the Beatles pertains mostly to Paul McCartney, and mostly specifically to "Pet Sounds" (and Howie has often felt "Ram" was influenced by "Sunflower", which I find fascinating and often ponder). But McCartney had a passing interest in the BBs and mainly/mostly Brian. Lennon and Harrison had less interest, and I'm not sure there is much tape or print on record of either of those guys even saying Mike's name let alone talking *about* him in any detail or expressing admiration.

The Beatles-BB admiration party was mostly a one-way street.

If Joe Brown or even Dave Stewart, or somebody who actually worked and socialized with George had written something connecting them to George, even then it might seem tacky but at least would make sense.

KDS
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 12:38:11 PM »

I always thought it was such a pity that a song featuring two of the best, groundbreaking, and influential songwriters in the history of rock music turned out to be such........fluff.  

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »

"A Friend Like You" is a decent *song*, but it's buried underneath sappy lyrics and *awful* production/arrangement (I've always likened the production/arrangement to some weird hybrid of the sappiest latter-day Disney scores and a "Full House" music cue).

It was Ringo years ago who said the worst band he ever played in was some jam session with a ton of major, legendary rock stars. These guys don't all need to work together. Ironically, Ringo's track with Paul from a few years ago, "Walk With You", was probably even more underwhelming (and that song had Van Dyke Parks lyrics!).

Paul and Brian could conjure up something interesting, but it would probably require covering something they mutually admire.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 12:50:55 PM »

The song was another bankrupt attempt by myKe luHv to bond with the surviving Beatles, hoping that, maybe this time it would mean beefing up his portfolio. I find the whole exercise to be one of the most insincere attempts at sincerity by any member of any band ever.

And that's pretty much how it's offered up to the poor unsuspecting crowd who've gathered to hear the 'Beached Boys' sing Beach Boys songs.  I wonder how much ol' Mikie really knew George/how much quality time they ever spent sitting and chatting together.  There aren't a wealth of pics to substantiate any kind of a bond.

The song's a turd.  That's the only thing which keeps it afloat.

Time for the Glen Frey tribute yet Mike? Roll Eyes

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »

"A Friend Like You" is a decent *song*, but it's buried underneath sappy lyrics and *awful* production/arrangement (I've always likened the production/arrangement to some weird hybrid of the sappiest latter-day Disney scores and a "Full House" music cue).

It was Ringo years ago who said the worst band he ever played in was some jam session with a ton of major, legendary rock stars. These guys don't all need to work together. Ironically, Ringo's track with Paul from a few years ago, "Walk With You", was probably even more underwhelming (and that song had Van Dyke Parks lyrics!).

Paul and Brian could conjure up something interesting, but it would probably require covering something they mutually admire.

Friend Like You does sound like the theme of a lost TGIF theme song. 

I really liked the Paul song "Beautiful Night" which featured Ringo on drums and background vox.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »

Coming from a diehard Beatlefan such as myself?  All I can say is: "Yup. This.  So much this." 

Very well played, CSM.  Congratulations, you win the thread! Grin

Well, yeah.  Probably this, too. Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx