gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:29:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AREN'T YOU GLAD You're A Beach Boys fan?  (Read 2876 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2017, 02:32:22 PM »

I feel so lucky to have discovered the music of The Beach Boys (and solo, J&D, etc...) The music is just full of good vibes (no pun intended) and I can honestly say that I think the BBs music has improved my quality of life. We often get caught up in drama on Smiley Smile, and I'd like to reinforce the fact that we are so lucky to have BBs music, and the fact that Brian, Al, Blondie, Mike, Bruce & Dean+his band still perform it. The music is just so beautiful, and listening to it is almost a religious experience for me.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 04:28:56 PM »

I feel so lucky to have discovered the music of The Beach Boys (and solo, J&D, etc...) The music is just full of good vibes (no pun intended) and I can honestly say that I think the BBs music has improved my quality of life. We often get caught up in drama on Smiley Smile, and I'd like to reinforce the fact that we are so lucky to have BBs music, and the fact that Brian, Al, Blondie, Mike, Bruce & Dean+his band still perform it. The music is just so beautiful, and listening to it is almost a religious experience for me.

I second that, especially since my really getting into The Beach Boys overlapped the period in time when I met my future wife
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 05:51:35 PM »

Bottom line?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 06:12:35 PM »

Yes though I wouldn't say it "improved my quality of life". If you count forgetting bad music (various mainstream radio trash) & delving into the 60s-70s music as that, it sure did.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 06:47:35 PM »

I'm sure that made difference in my life in every way.

In addition, My getting into The Beach Boys help myself improving my English skills much more. As a English learner, I honestly think that The Beach Boys (and related books & forums) are the best way to learn English I've found.
ericxplackis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 08:12:10 PM »

I'm glad I found out The Beach Boys have music other than the early 'surfer' songs, especially Post-Pet Sounds.

I didn't even know what Smile was until maybe 2012.

Now it's my favorite album* of all time
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 11:26:47 PM »

I have such wide tastes. From medieval music through to Baroque. Classical, romantic, early jazz, big band swing.

And it ALL started from the Beach Boys. Namely Smille. About 30 years ago.

So yes, they have enriched my life, not only for their own great music, but as a springboard into the truly great music of the past.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 02:12:38 AM »

Yes though I wouldn't say it "improved my quality of life".

Sorry to hear that, RR.

As for me, I came in from the opposite side to HVPtIV. As a boy I'd been bitten by the "classical" bug in '62 and had devoured much 19th and 20th century orchestral music by the time Pet Sounds was released. It was my first pop album (in the wake of dozens of "classical" ones) and I listened to it with "classical" ears. It was one of the most colourful things I'd ever heard.

But to answer the OP's question... yes, oh yes! Being a Beach Boys fan has introduced me, via this and other forums, to BB music I would otherwise never have heard (to say nothing of knowledge of things BB) . But it's not just that----contact with fellow fans has introduced me in turn to music, often by artists I'd never even heard of, that I have come to love. So it's a two-way thing.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Scaroline No
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 06:20:55 AM »

I'm SUPER glad.

The Beach Boys arrived in my life at a time when I really needed them - they made a really terrible time in my life bearable, and now that that's over, they continue to stimulate my happy hormones like no other band. Even the sad stuff makes me  feel better. I don't think I've ever loved a band the way I love these guys. My life is absolutely better because of them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:21:34 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »

I like most music, I can go from Eminem to The Eagles and from Eric Prydz to The Beach Boys.  The Beach Boys are one of the few bands that will put into a good mood  Afro
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »

I love good music regardless of genre, but let me say this: no musician/group I know in any time and place has the diversity and sweep of the Beach Boys, and no music gives me more emotions.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:12:32 PM »

It's certainly made a difference in my bank account.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 05:39:04 PM »

It's certainly made a difference in my bank account.

LOL  I HEAR that.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 06:11:27 PM »

It would have been in the latter half of the 1980s. Like most people, I was under the delusion that Beatles were best. And Santana was my personal favorite. Then I made a new friend, twenty years older than I (I was in my early twenties), and he said the Beach Boys were best. I knew the big Capitol hits, of course, but then I bought Ten Years of Harmony on double cassette, and played that thing on my walkman over and over, for an entire boat journey from England to Denmark. Especially Surf's Up, that made an impression on me every time I got round to it. Really, that music, which in some ways is the real gold, made the Beatles pale in comparison. And Santana, their percussion aside, they weren't even close. So I can actually pin it down to one life-changing boat trip.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:47:00 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 11:41:00 PM »

It would have been in the latter half of the 1980s. Like most people, I was under the delusion that Beatles were best. And Santana was my personal favorite. Then I made a new friend, twenty years older than I (I was in my early twenties), and he said the Beach Boys were best. I knew the big Capitol hits, of course, but then I bought Ten Years of Harmony on double cassette, and played that thing on my walkman over and over, for an entire boat journey from England to Denmark. Especially Surf's Up, that made an impression me every time I got round to it. Really, that music, which in some ways is the real gold, made the Beatles pale in comparison. And Santana, their percussion aside, they weren't even close. So I can actually pin it down to one life-changing boat trip.

And I can pin it down to one life changing trip. Or several. Listening to Smile tracks on endless repeat. Breaking down them ol' doors of perception.

As you do.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 07:48:03 AM »

It would have been in the latter half of the 1980s. Like most people, I was under the delusion that Beatles were best. And Santana was my personal favorite. Then I made a new friend, twenty years older than I (I was in my early twenties), and he said the Beach Boys were best. I knew the big Capitol hits, of course, but then I bought Ten Years of Harmony on double cassette, and played that thing on my walkman over and over, for an entire boat journey from England to Denmark. Especially Surf's Up, that made an impression me every time I got round to it. Really, that music, which in some ways is the real gold, made the Beatles pale in comparison. And Santana, their percussion aside, they weren't even close. So I can actually pin it down to one life-changing boat trip.

And I can pin it down to one life changing trip. Or several. Listening to Smile tracks on endless repeat. Breaking down them ol' doors of perception.

As you do.

Oh my, Captain Trips!  police
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx