gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:17:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson and George Harrison: things they have in common  (Read 8413 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 09:08:17 AM »

Both Carl and Geoerge at one time entertained the idea of becoming helicopter pilots.

Not that far off in Carl's case. He had an avid interest in flying and even had a subscription to Aviation Week.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:09:55 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 03:21:49 PM »

Both had drug problems that led to some embarrassing live performances.
I've never heard or read anything about embarrassing concerts from George because of drugs or alcohol. Could you give an example/source?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 10:02:12 PM »

I've never heard or read anything about embarrassing concerts from George because of drugs or alcohol. Could you give an example/source?
George didn't do many concerts after the Beatles. And I find it annoying how those 1978 Australian shows are always brought up - probably the only time in Carl's entire career that he gave a bad performance. Carl was the rock of the group, he was dependable, always came ready to play, respected the music and expected the other musicians to show the same respect.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 05:53:53 AM »

Let's not forget a key example:

When The Beatles gave themselves stage names in 1960, George changed his name to Carl.

Carl never changed his name to George but if he had, his name would have been George Wilson, which also happens to be the name of the irritated neighbour in the comic strip Dennis the Menace, which itself was the nickname for who? None other than Dennis Wilson!

At this point the coincidences are impossible to ignore and someone needs to inform the authorities about this immediately.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 07:37:35 AM »

His voice was sh*t as the 74 tour wore on. I've always read/understood that to be a consequence of his heavy cocaine use.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 08:22:13 AM »

His voice was sh*t as the 74 tour wore on. I've always read/understood that to be a consequence of his heavy cocaine use.

In his case it also translated to his studio work. I was listening to a few tracks from Dark Horse and I swear I thought George must've been joking or something. His voice sounded so good just a few years earlier, too. Shame.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »

George said he wore his voice out rehearsing for the tour.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »

He didn't say "I did a sh*t-ton of coke and it f***ed my voice"? Weird. Didn't carl also give some pretty lame excuse for his awful performance at the time?

I don't know for certain, I was just naming a similarity based on what is audibly available and published explanations. And frankly I don't care either way. But I wouldn't trust the people involved too fully. They would obviously have their pride, reputations and business interests in mind to shade their statements.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 11:53:38 AM »

He didn't say "I did a sh*t-ton of coke and it f***ed my voice"? Weird. Didn't carl also give some pretty lame excuse for his awful performance at the time?

I don't know for certain, I was just naming a similarity based on what is audibly available and published explanations. And frankly I don't care either way. But I wouldn't trust the people involved too fully. They would obviously have their pride, reputations and business interests in mind to shade their statements.

IIRC, Carl said he took a couple pills for his back before having a couple drinks the day of the show. I'm sure that wasn't all he took. He was apparently hooked on heroin around this time, thank God he was able to clean up his act before it was too late.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »

My point exactly.

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »

George is a very common English name; so is Carl.

Wilson is a common English surname, so is Wilson.

Golly I guess Carl is damned near a Beatle; or is it Harrison is danged-near a Beach Boy?  Such seems to be the intent of this thread....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2017, 12:34:53 PM »

I think the intent is, wowie, the sweet-quiet-spiritual archetype ones are so similar. And up next, we'll talk about the cute ones. Then maybe the rebellious ones. SmileyTigerBeatSmile.com.

JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »

I think the intent is, wowie, the sweet-quiet-spiritual archetype ones are so similar. And up next, we'll talk about the cute ones. Then maybe the rebellious ones. SmileyTigerBeatSmile.com.

So Mike Love and Paul McCartney?

Hmm. Both seem very commercial minded.

And rebellious ones? Aha!

Bruce and John. Hmm. Their hair seems almost alike. Not really.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:44:56 PM by JL » Logged
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »

Both Carl and George were not only the youngest members of their bands, they were also the youngest children in their families.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »

Too bad Carl never sang any George songs. With his beautiful voice, he could have done great versions of My Sweet Lord or Give Me Love; and I can imagine him rockin' really good on What is Life.
And some Harrison slide would have been nice on those 80's BB's records instead of the sax.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 02:30:06 PM »

I've said it before; Carl didn't need to be in the Wilburys, but rather if you listen to something like Tom Petty's "Wildflowers" (which Carl guests on), *that's* the sort of thing Carl should have been doing both in terms of musical style as well as production style (Rick Rubin indeed would have been a good pick). Imagine those great 90s Tom Petty-type tracks, but with even more layered harmonies, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 12:19:58 PM »

How is it possible that no one has mentioned Ricky Fataar in this thread?  Someone thought that he was the Beach Boy with the greatest similarity to George... 

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 01:07:32 PM »

Stig!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx