gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:17:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson and George Harrison: things they have in common  (Read 8416 times)
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2017, 05:07:10 PM »

Recently it's occurred to me that Carl and George have some things in common.  For instance:

They're the youngest members of their bands (except for David Marks for a short time).
They're both soft-spoken and spiritually-minded.
Carl fought to get conscientious-objector status during the Vietnam war (1967), and George put together the Concert for Bangla Desh (1971).
They were both overshadowed by others in their bands (Brian & Mike, and John & Paul).
They both died younger than they should have.

JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 06:22:08 PM »

Wasn't Carl also frustrated with the direction the band was going in too, like the types of songs they were putting on their albums and stuff? I remember how he said he only wanted to play 'inspired' music or something, and he did end up making 2 solo albums. It's sorta reminiscent of how George was frustrated and wanted to go solo. I mean, not exactly the same and I know there were other reasons, but still.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:19:27 PM »

Yes, I've always thought this. Also, much more in common than say oh I don't know...his so called "Pisces Brother" Mike Love. If Mike and George were alike, Mike wouldn't have written that piling of dog doo about it.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 11:56:16 PM »

both died of lung cancer, too, of course. although, i think carl technically died of brain cancer after it spread

Also, totally agree I'll bet if George was still alive and Mike had written Picese brother he would've been like "wtf? i dont even like you"
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:58:12 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 02:20:37 AM »

Although Carl didn't write GOKs, the fact he sang it so well and surprising many, has always reminded me of George writing and singing 'Here Comes The Sun'. More of a 'Who knew?' moment.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 03:16:59 AM »

In  my concert Pisces Brother was played just after God Only Knows.

Another thing in common is the both are lead guitar and uses fireglo rickenbacker
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 04:47:28 AM »

Yes, they both have a soft-spoken image, and both are said to have very sly senses of humour. Also, they are both the most attractive member of their respective bands, in my humble view.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 05:33:34 AM »

I don't think this adds an awful lot to the above but here it is anyway:

http://friarparksoulclub.tumblr.com/post/122071556529/carl-wilson-the-george-harrison-of-the-beach

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 06:03:48 AM »

While Carl may not have written it, his signature BB moment is singing the love song, God Only Knows.

George's signature BB moment is "Something."
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 06:37:13 AM »

They also were both religious. George Harrison was obviously very interested in the Hindu religion and meditation, and I've heard that Carl and Brian would pray together for sessions in the 60's.
KDS
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 06:44:23 AM »

Wasn't Carl also frustrated with the direction the band was going in too, like the types of songs they were putting on their albums and stuff? I remember how he said he only wanted to play 'inspired' music or something, and he did end up making 2 solo albums. It's sorta reminiscent of how George was frustrated and wanted to go solo. I mean, not exactly the same and I know there were other reasons, but still.

I think Carl was also frustrated with the setlist leaning more on oldies than in the early 70s. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 07:17:39 AM »

I see some vague connection between the two but I find them to be very different from each other. While Carl was quiet, he really took on a leadership position in the band - both in terms of their live appearances and their studio work. I don't think George was ever particularly interested in being a leader like that.

And while George was considered "the quiet one," I think he mostly gave that impression because he was in a band with three very gregarious people and he wasn't quite as gregarious as them. He was, however, very outgoing and probably the most social of the four (maybe Ringo was as social). And while quiet, he would often share his somewhat cynical and cutting opinions. I couldn't imagine Carl ever going on TV and saying that maybe Brian is singing cover songs because he's run out of good ones of his own, as George said about Paul.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »

Both Carl and George were originally non-writing lead guitarists who then had brief creative flare-ups, George 1968-72, Carl 1970-72.

For a moment there, it looked like George would have the most important post-Beatles solo career, and also for a moment it seemed that Carl was ready to step into Brian's shoes as chief creative force of the Beach Boys.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 08:34:22 AM »

Both Carl and George were originally non-writing lead guitarists who then had brief creative flare-ups, George 1968-72, Carl 1970-72.

For a moment there, it looked like George would have the most important post-Beatles solo career, and also for a moment it seemed that Carl was ready to step into Brian's shoes as chief creative force of the Beach Boys.

I actually think George's solo material is the best / most consistent of the four Beatles. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 08:45:18 AM »

I actually think George's solo material is the best / most consistent of the four Beatles.  

I think a strong argument can be made for that, although I think a lot of that has to do with Harrison producing far less material over the span of his career. He released two albums between 1983 and 2001/02 (plus of course his part on the Wilburys albums and his live album). I think "Cloud Nine" and "Brainwashed" are not only two of his best albums, but two of the best solo Beatles albums from any of them. But I'd say if you gathered McCartney's best material on par with those albums from all his albums between 1983 and 2001, you'd have more than two album's worth of good material that stands up to Harrison's best.

Back to Carl, I don't really think there's a strong link between Carl and George that warrants a detailed comparison. Other than in some very general areas, they aren't terribly similar or have much in common.

However, one thing that is similar about their careers is that both of their estates seem to be rather stingy about releasing archival material. Obviously, we don't actually know what's in the "Carl archives", and Carl's estate has certainly signed off on BB archival releases. But as I've been saying recently, having seen that raw 1986 video interview with Carl on YouTube, it sounds like he wrote a bunch of stuff post-BB'85 with Robert White Johnson that has to be lying around somewhere at least in "home demo" form or something.

With Harrison, while there have been some archival releases, they haven't even skimmed the surface of what's in Harrison's vaults. They've been especially stingy with bonus tracks on album reissues, with many CD reissues sporting literally ONE bonus track, sometimes two or three but rarely more. "Early Takes Vol. 1" was a great hodge podge, but there are probably 5 or more discs of that sort of material waiting to be released.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:48:41 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 09:22:58 AM »

I think a strong argument can be made for that, although I think a lot of that has to do with Harrison producing far less material over the span of his career. He released two albums between 1983 and 2001/02 (plus of course his part on the Wilburys albums and his live album). I think "Cloud Nine" and "Brainwashed" are not only two of his best albums, but two of the best solo Beatles albums from any of them. But I'd say if you gathered McCartney's best material on par with those albums from all his albums between 1983 and 2001, you'd have more than two album's worth of good material that stands up to Harrison's best.

Agreed. While George was a fantastic musician and songwriter, he wasn't quite skilled enough to produce good to great albums of original material every year in the same way that John and Paul could.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 10:26:13 AM »

Both had drug problems that led to some embarrassing live performances.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 10:27:59 AM »

I'd agree with that.  But many people give the title of "best solo Beatle" to John with a small catalog (granted over a smaller period of time).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »

A another link I'd like to draw between Carl and George isn't even a real link, but a pointless "coulda shoulda" item: Carl could have and/or should have been cutting a solo album in the late 80s that sounded like "Cloud Nine."

Imagine Carl's great voice with some great Jeff Lynne backing and production, and liberated a bit from the cheesy synths of BB'85, and without the AC/MOR boring elements of the later "Beckley/Lamm/Wilson" stuff.

Interesting as well that in that 1989 translated interview with Carl posted here a few years back, Carl was asked about Brian's '88 album, and Carl singled out the Lynne co-penned/produced "Let It Shine" as a standout track.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 10:56:18 AM »

A another link I'd like to draw between Carl and George isn't even a real link, but a pointless "coulda shoulda" item: Carl could have and/or should have been cutting a solo album in the late 80s that sounded like "Cloud Nine."

Imagine Carl's great voice with some great Jeff Lynne backing and production, and liberated a bit from the cheesy synths of BB'85, and without the AC/MOR boring elements of the later "Beckley/Lamm/Wilson" stuff.

Interesting as well that in that 1989 translated interview with Carl posted here a few years back, Carl was asked about Brian's '88 album, and Carl singled out the Lynne co-penned/produced "Let It Shine" as a standout track.

Let It Shine is one of my favorite tracks off BW88. 

I think it's a shame that's the only collaboration between Jeff and one of the Beach Boys. 

Maybe Al should give him a call should he get the urge to put out a 2nd solo album.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »

I don't think they had much in common.  These kind of threads are goofy.

Like, Al Jardine and John Lennon:  things they have in common

Both are/were short.

Both played rhythm guitar.

Al wrote a song about Japan and John married a woman from Japan.

This off the top of my head and of course, it all signifies a big, fat NOTHING....
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »

These threads are weird and mostly nonsense.  Nevertheless, I am surprised nobody has mentioned that these two guys are probably 2 of the 3.... or at least 5..... most notable electric 12 string shredders in pop music.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:34 PM »

These threads are weird and mostly nonsense. 

This is true, but so are message boards about bands, for the most part. Sure, some of the threads are "serious"--or as serious as discussing pop music can be--but huge numbers are just counterfactual stuff, speculation, fanboy/fangirl stuff, and all that. It's mostly harmless. People post what they post.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 01:55:48 PM »

I don't think they had much in common.  These kind of threads are goofy.

Like, Al Jardine and John Lennon:  things they have in common

Both are/were short.

Both played rhythm guitar.

Al wrote a song about Japan and John married a woman from Japan.

This off the top of my head and of course, it all signifies a big, fat NOTHING....

Al is *significantly* shorter than John Lennon, who was arguably more or less "average" height.

I'm also struggling to ID a song Al wrote "about Japan."

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2017, 03:03:51 AM »

Carl and George both had a short lived fixation with Crazy Legs Crane from The All New Pink Panther Show.

Both Carl and Geoerge at one time entertained the idea of becoming helicopter pilots.

They both married women.

Interestingly, both their beards were made of the same substance, keratin!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx