gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:38:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Some Sweet Day" now streaming on RollingStone.com  (Read 11116 times)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 11:25:38 AM »

I wasn't aware that the Beach Boys recorded a song called Baywatch Nights.  I thought it was a song that was written but never recorded.  I'd love to hear it.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »

I wasn't aware that the Beach Boys recorded a song called Baywatch Nights.  I thought it was a song that was written but never recorded.  I'd love to hear it.

And having heard it, you'd then really love to unhear it.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 01:46:10 PM »

Also known as "Dancing the Night Away". Vocals exist on the bridge (Carl and Mike), rest of the track is instrumental/unfinished.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »

Something about the combo of the production and the horns is quite wacky. It's almost like they took Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight and rejiggered it for a Broadway musical.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »

I am almost positive the song is being played at an incorrect speed.

Listen to the version that's been floating around for years: https://youtu.be/FHt_LQBfZ-Y?t=40m11s

Tell me that's not a more natural / realistic vocal range for a mid-'90s Brian. Tell me that's not a more truthful sound for the backing instrumentation.

I recall that copies of the Paley sessions material were sent out at different speeds in an early attempt at copy protection. Is it possible the version on Playback is sourced from one of the sped-up dubs?

It's also possible, of course, that BW and Andy decided the song sounded better being pitched-up. Whatever the case, I'd bet you anything it wasn't recorded that way.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 03:57:14 PM »

Listen to the version that's been floating around for years: https://youtu.be/FHt_LQBfZ-Y?t=40m11s

Tell me that's not a more natural / realistic vocal range for a mid-'90s Brian. Tell me that's not a more truthful sound for the backing instrumentation.

I recall that copies of the Paley sessions material were sent out at different speeds in an early attempt at copy protection. Is it possible the version on Playback is sourced from one of the sped-up dubs?

It's also possible, of course, that BW and Andy decided the song sounded better being pitched-up. Whatever the case, I'd bet you anything it wasn't recorded that way.

Wouldn't it be interesting if you are 100% correct, and somebody from the record company reads this post and realizes the error of their ways, in that they actually screwed up unintentionally, and fixes it before the actual release?

Stranger things have happened.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2017, 05:46:30 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of Brian's solo material pre BWPS, and listening to this track reminds me that it's probably that 90's voice. I'll take Brian's current voice any day over the 90's stuff. I'm kinda hoping this rip is accidentally pitched up, cause I'd really like to like it.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 12:22:42 AM »

Depressing to read some of these posts. 'Some Sweet Day' is fantastic and the Paley tracks blow away almost everything BW has done since.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 06:23:44 AM »

The track is at the correct, original as recorded speed........

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »

Depressing to read some of these posts. 'Some Sweet Day' is fantastic and the Paley tracks blow away almost everything BW has done since.

I love it too Terrei.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 08:05:41 AM »

Thanks Mark. Fantastic job on the 67' set also. Wild Honey really breathes.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 08:34:07 AM »

Wouldn't it be interesting if you are 100% correct, and somebody from the record company reads this post and realizes the error of their ways, in that they actually screwed up unintentionally, and fixes it before the actual release?

Stranger things have happened.

While Mark Linett has since confirmed above that it's at the correct speed, it's worth noting as an aside that I would imagine at this stage the CDs have already been replicated and ready to ship out if not already shipped out for a 9/22 release. We would probably be stuck with it as-is anyway even if there was some sort of issue. Of course, these days they can of course much more easily and quickly fix problems on the "digital download" versions of tracks.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »

With Mark Linett confirming this new mix is running at the original/correct speed, it would be interesting to note if the first "batch" of Paley tracks circulated back in the day running too *fast*, while that second, crummy-sounding, early MP3-underwater-sounding batch (Some Sweet Day, Frankie Avalon, etc.) circulated back in the day running too *slow.*

I haven't a clue how all those tracks circulated, but the first better-sounding batch always sounded like it came from a cassette dub a few generations down, while that second crummy-sounding batch seemed to originate as super-duper low bitrate MP3s. I've never heard a version of songs from that second batch that don't have that gurgling/underwater early MP3 sound to some degree.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 08:46:03 AM »

Thanks for the information, Mark.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »

It's a fun song for sure. For me, hearing it cold and being a newbie to this era, it does 'suffer' slightly from being similar to a BW88 track that I consider a favorite. No big deal.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »

While Brian has said he isn't heavily involved in this compilation (not surprising or shocking or problematic at all, despite straw man arguments to the contrary floated on other boards), I'd be curious to know how the choice of "Some Sweet Day" came about.

Sometimes with these "best of" bonus tracks, artists try to push a strong new single, while other times it's more a case of a "good, but not *too* good" track being picked. The idea being, you don't want to pick a crummy track, but you also would rather save an *amazing* track for a full, new album.

I would have to guess maybe they surveyed some of Brian's key unreleased projects, and went with a peppy, upbeat track (which might explain why "It's Not Easy Being Me" remains unreleased?).

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 09:47:58 AM »

Seems obvious to me why they'd pick it: (apparently contrary to popular fan opinion, I think) it's one of the best unreleased BW solo-era songs. It's just that he doesn't have any unreleased masterpieces from that era. But there's no shame in cool, fun, admittedly formulaic songs.

Those who don't like this probably should write off any chance of hoping a rock 'n' roll album, should one ever come about, because I'd bet this is the sort of thing such an album would include.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »

While Mark Linett has since confirmed above that it's at the correct speed, it's worth noting as an aside that I would imagine at this stage the CDs have already been replicated and ready to ship out if not already shipped out for a 9/22 release. We would probably be stuck with it as-is anyway even if there was some sort of issue. Of course, these days they can of course much more easily and quickly fix problems on the "digital download" versions of tracks.

True, but unfortunately with the exception of the wrong mix of "Melt Away", which still has the incorrect mix on streaming services like Spotify, years after it became known that the wrong mix was used (and on perhaps Brian's best solo song ever, IMO).

TOTALLY unacceptable that this hasn't been fixed yet. How hard would it be to re-upload it? Just how hard? C'mon, powers that be! Please make it happen! I pay for Spotify and use it all the time, but when I want to listen to BW88, I have to bust out my old iPod classic to make sure I'm hearing the right original release mix of Melt Away. That extra vocal line is THAT important.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:00:18 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »

Seems obvious to me why they'd pick it: (apparently contrary to popular fan opinion, I think) it's one of the best unreleased BW solo-era songs. It's just that he doesn't have any unreleased masterpieces from that era. But there's no shame in cool, fun, admittedly formulaic songs.

Those who don't like this probably should write off any chance of hoping a rock 'n' roll album, should one ever come about, because I'd bet this is the sort of thing such an album would include.

I think there's a pretty fair amount of solo Brian studio outtakes we've never heard that haven't circulated, but it's probably true that "Some Sweet Day" was deemed to be in the top tier.

A mult-disc set of Brian's unreleased solo material would be extremely scattershot, but also intensely fascinating; I would imagine demos would among the most interesting and intriguing items.

I'd say at least 4-5 of the other unreleased Paley tracks are better than "Some Sweet Day", and I'm not even *quite* as enamored with the Paley sessions as a whole as some other fans.

I think, somewhat like McCartney all of a sudden releasing *multiple discs* of his aborted collaboration with Elvis Costello in 1987/88, a *full disc* of Brian and Andy Paley's recordings, marketed as a sort of "lost 90s album", could do extremely well, especially with critics. Keep in mind that there are supposedly additional tracks Brian and Paley recorded in that timeframe that haven't circulated (a bunch of titles float around; I recall for instance they may have done Brian's early 80s song "The Boogie's Back in Town" that he performed at a BB show or two in 1983).

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 10:53:23 AM »

Oh I'd for sure love any such release, as I assume most everyone here would. And I don't deny that there might be stuff we haven't heard that's quite good. But it seems that as (marketing) people want to prove at every opportunity that "Brian is back," most anything that was all that good would've leaked by now. It's a different world than when the Beach Boys were leaving brilliant stuff behind (and even most of that got out eventually).

I have said it before, but I fear that we're going to have to wait for his death before a lot of that stuff gets released, even if only because he may decide to rerecord and release some of it yet (as he's been doing all along).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2017, 04:15:38 PM »

My least friends era in terms of Brian vocals but it's really good.

Very excited for the album

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2017, 05:43:45 PM »

I'm no great fan of the Paley sessions, so didn't expect much from this tune, and didn't get much. It seems all so strangely un-Brian to me. I'd bet that "Run James Run" will prove much better.

P.S.
After some listens I think "Some Sweet Day" has potential after all, but would need a total re-recording with Brian's current voice, layered vocal harmonies and a completely different arrangement.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:15:14 PM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2017, 10:54:37 PM »

This has actually been one of my very favorite unreleased BW tunes from the first moment I heard it. It's very Paley, yes -- a certain BW band member I played it for said: "That sounds like Andy, all right" -- but BW has such a great time singing it, and that bridge has BW's fingerprints all over it. A lovely tune, not overambitious like some of the Paley stuff (Chain Reaction of Love, anyone?), but also fully fleshed out.

All that being said, I do prefer it slowed down by about 5 percent ...
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »

So I listened again, and though it's not one of my favorite BW tunes I gotta say "Some Sweet Day" is growing on me. I'll be glad to have a copy of it when Playback is released.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx