gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:34:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Some Sweet Day" now streaming on RollingStone.com  (Read 11114 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:30:32 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-brian-wilsons-retro-nineties-rarity-some-sweet-day-w500735

Nice track.  Sounds like it was written for Grace of My Heart from Andy Paley's description.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:31:55 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 09:43:47 AM »

Sounds like Brian's 90s singing (and track with overdubs*). Nice, nice, nice!!!

* compared to the bootlegged version
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:52:37 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 10:20:29 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-brian-wilsons-retro-nineties-rarity-some-sweet-day-w500735

Nice track.  Sounds like it was written for Grace of My Heart from Andy Paley's description.

Sounds like it was written for Brian Wilson and called "Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight."  Cheesy
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:26:18 AM »

Sweet! Sounds great!

BW: "I'm getting older but I don't give a g*ddamn. I can still sing my ass off. I'm only 74. Which is a f***ed age, but I don't mind it."  LOL
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:30:23 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »

Sweet! Sounds great!

BW: "I'm getting older but I don't give a g*ddamn. I can still sing my ass off. I'm only 74. Which is a f***ed age, but I don't mind it."  LOL

He can hardly sing his ass off.  Even the article noted he was in poor voice in concert.  His days of singing well are past him.  And what is with all the cussing, he sounds like a Tourette's sufferer....
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:30:50 AM »

A great song from Brian's '90's days!  Cool Guy
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:49:32 AM »

The fact that the majority of the  Paley stuff is still sitting there unreleased is a crime against humanity.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 12:12:38 PM »

Hopefully this set leads to a Paley collection!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »

The fact that the majority of the Paley stuff is still sitting there unreleased is a crime against humanity.

This!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 12:40:02 PM »

He can hardly sing his ass off.  Even the article noted he was in poor voice in concert.  His days of singing well are past him.  And what is with all the cussing, he sounds like a Tourette's sufferer....

Which proves you have no actual familiarity either with Tourette's *or* how Brian speaks in casual conversation in real life.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 01:52:21 PM »

The version I've heard of this is a bit slower and sounds better because of it IMO.
KDS
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »

I think this song is pretty average.  Still wont likely stop me from buying the collection.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »

The fact that the majority of the  Paley stuff is still sitting there unreleased is a crime against humanity.
This is my favorite post so far spending a half year here Grin
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 03:18:18 PM »

Sweet! Sounds great!

You are a terrible person, by the way would you like to be banned? It's one thing to pick at the music, but please don't spread insults toward Brian, he always has the most respect for Mike. Mike can't do one nice for him in return. This board used to be enjoyable before you came along.
ThreeCats
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 04:10:42 PM »

That repetitive percussion sound that plays throughout the entire song is kind of grating, but other than that it sounds great.
grapejuicesnake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 04:31:46 PM »

Today is the first day of school where I am and it is ironic that Brian Wilson released a song called "Some Sweet Day".  I hope that is a good omen.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »

Which proves you have no actual familiarity either with Tourette's *or* how Brian speaks in casual conversation in real life.
Thank you. This troll account is getting tiresome

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 09:33:08 PM »

So I must admit, I'm not blown away by this new tune. I don't think I had ever heard it via bootleg, but perhaps I did at some point. Regardless, I have to say that I'm not the hugest fan of the Paley sessions, though I do think that "You're Still A Mystery" is a classic, and though it's not from the 1990s sessions, "Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight" might just be my favorite solo Brian Wilson tune (unless you're counting "Caroline No"). I think that "Baywatch Nights" could've been incredibly great if it was finished, but even in it's unfinished state it's still beautiful with great vocals from both Carl and the group. I'd also like to say "Soul Searchin'" is pretty great as well, though I can really only take The Beach Boys version, since Brian's bridge vocal on the GIOMH version is....yuck.

But back to this one, maybe it'll grow on me. I like that they left the mid '90s vocal on there, cuz it's great to listen through all the different Brian voices we've heard over the years. Though next to his 15 Big Ones and GIOMH voices, this is probably one of his least commercial sounds, so I can understand why he replaced his vocal on "You're Still A Mystery."
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 11:29:17 PM »

Sweet! Sounds great!

You are a terrible person, by the way would you like to be banned? It's one thing to pick at the music, but please don't spread insults toward Brian, he always has the most respect for Mike. Mike can't do one nice for him in return. This board used to be enjoyable before you came along.

I work with some troubled individuals. When I encounter someone on a message board who enjoys getting a reaction, I just work under the assumption they have some sort of condition. I know plenty of folk who are mildly on the autistic spectrum who thoroughly enjoy getting reactions from what they say or do. Just work under that assumption and ignore his posts if they bother you.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 12:02:00 AM »

He can hardly sing his ass off.  Even the article noted he was in poor voice in concert.  His days of singing well are past him.  And what is with all the cussing, he sounds like a Tourette's sufferer....

Thank you. This troll account is getting tiresome

MTG had been doing this consistently since the "Male Ego message forum days.  That was like 15 years ago.  Clearly he still likes getting a rise out of people.  Some people don't grow up.  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:03:12 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 06:26:53 AM »

I think this song is pretty average.  Still wont likely stop me from buying the collection.

It's a pretty textbook example of a "best of" compilation "bonus track." I wouldn't expect them to take a mind-blowing song worth building a new album around and sticking it on a "best of" compilation. I doubt they were even aiming to pick the best of the unreleased Paley tracks (I would guess many here would agree something like "It's Not Easy Being Me" is superior, or even the original version of "Gettin' in Over My Head", etc.).

Ideally, "Some Sweet Day" would have appeared on a multi-disc Brian rarities compilation (and/or a full disc of the Paley material).

Anybody else hear that woodwind melody line running through the song several times and here something similar to what they did running into the instrumental break on "A Friend Like You?" And yeah, the track also has a bit of "Da Doo Ron Ron/Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight" going on as well.

It's too bad they didn't do what I thought would have been a good idea, which was to put out a "Best of" disc and sell a "Deluxe" version with a second disc filled with rare singles, b-sides, soundtrack songs, and a selection of key solo outtakes.

Hopefully, though, doing a solo "Best of" might be the first step towards doing something on the "archival" side with Brian's solo stuff.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:56:54 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 06:36:03 AM »

I think this song is pretty average.  Still wont likely stop me from buying the collection.

It's a pretty textbook example of a "best of" compilation "bonus track." I wouldn't expect them to take a mind-blowing song worth building a new album around and sticking it on a "best of" compilation. I doubt they were even aiming to pick the best of the unreleased Paley tracks (I would guess many here would agree something like "It's Not Easy Being Me" is superior, or even the original version of "Gettin' in Over My Head", etc.).

Ideally, "Some Sweet Day" would have appeared on a multi-disc Brian rarities compilation (and/or a full disc of the Paley material).

Anybody else here that woodwind melody line running through the song several times and here something similar to what they did running into the instrumental break on "A Friend Like You?" And yeah, the track also has a bit of "Da Doo Ron Ron/Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight" going on as well.

It's too bad they didn't do what I thought would have been a good idea, which was to put out a "Best of" disc and sell a "Deluxe" version with a second disc filled with rare singles, b-sides, soundtrack songs, and a selection of key solo outtakes.

Hopefully, though, doing a solo "Best of" might be the first step towards doing something on the "archival" side with Brian's solo stuff.

That's what I was hoping for.  About ten or so years ago, Robert Plant did a solo anthology.  The first disc was a best of collection of his solo career, and the second disc was odds and ends, and even some pre Led Zep stuff. 

This collection could've been a nice catch all for Brian's odds and ends, soundtrack songs, songs on tribute albums (Wanderlust would've been great), etc. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 09:15:26 AM »

A Brian catch-all would be nice and I've passively advocated for it. On the other hand, a lot of us have already collected most if not all of those random one-off tracks, so I'd *rather* see unreleased archival compilations as opposed to some weird catch-all that has "Walking Down the Path of Life", the alternate "Live Let Live", "Believe in Yourself", "Wanderlust", etc.. That is, if we could only get one or the other.

Brian's weird non-album tracks are interesting, but few of them are truly mind-blowing "should have been on an album" tracks. A few are, like "Message Man" and "This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight", and a few others.

What I'd really like is a good-sounding version of his great recording of "What a Wonderful World" from OCA sessions.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:23:47 AM by HeyJude » Logged

KDS
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »

A Brian catch-all would be nice and I've passively advocated for it. On the other hand, a lot of us have already collected most if not all of those random one-off tracks, so I'd *rather* see unreleased archival compilations as opposed to some weird catch-all that has "Walking Down the Path of Life", the alternate "Live Let Live", "Believe in Yourself", "Wanderlust", etc.. That is, if we could only get one or the other.

Brian's weird non-album tracks are interesting, but few of them are truly mind-blown "should have been on an album" tracks. A few are, like "Message Man" and "This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight", and a few others.

What I'd really like is a good-sounding version of his great recording of "What a Wonderful World" from OCA sessions.

Perhaps one day we'll see a boxset of some of these gems, even if it's only in digital form (sadly, I can't imagine there's a huge market for a tangible Brian Wilson rarities box).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 11:22:49 AM »

It's ok. I really don't care for the production that much,  esp in regards to the horns

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx