gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:29:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Question for Talented Musicy People  (Read 2516 times)
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2017, 06:57:57 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:19:26 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »

Wouldn't even need to be a real clarinet. Just use Broadway Big Band or something similar. Take 5 mins.

Unfortunately too busy finishing my own masterpiece, (yes folks it's coming soon) to be dithering around with someone elses stuff.  LOL

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:52:09 PM »

Speaking of the intro of "Look", I've always felt the first 20 seconds were *so* magical, and almost reminiscent of the intro of California Girls. So much so that it kind of feels like a successor or tip of the hat/sequel to that beautiful CG intro.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:19:21 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 06:15:55 PM »

versions exist
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 07:40:17 PM »

Speaking of the intro of "Look", I've always felt the first 20 seconds were *so* magical, and almost reminiscent of the intro of California Girls. So much so that it kind of feels like a successor or tip of the hat/sequel to that beautiful CG intro.

Agree, I've left it off Smile mixes in the past for not being on the December tracklist/missing vocals but I've been listening to it a lot more lately and it's really something special. Smile's a lot less without it. Probably the single best backing track Brian produced in that era, maybe slightly behind something like Surf's Up or Cabin Essence. Hence why I really really wish a version existed with that clarinet melody to make it feel as finished as the other songs Tongue
Intersting that you like it so much. It always seemed to me to be an idea that was never completed. Like BW had the crying horn idea, tried it on Look and thought, "sounds good, think I'll use that on CITFOTM" and the drums during the chorus, didn't he try that same pattern out on Cabinessence, and then reject it?
And the weird intro is like the creepy Child intro as well. Then the main melody which is the vocal outro for GV...it just seems like BW crammed all these production ideas into this half-assed song so he wouldn't forget them.
That's my take.
Glad others can enjoy it on its own merits, but it really just seems like a cheesy Charles Ives ish mess too me!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:40:16 PM »

versions exist

See, I hate it when people hint that there is unheard Smile stuff lying around, and that they have heard them.

Bossaroo. If I find out you bought the Durrie acetates and didn't share them I will find out were you live.

And I will unleash the full force of Emporer Palapatine on your sorry arse
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 03:20:07 PM »

versions exist

See, I hate it when people hint that there is unheard Smile stuff lying around, and that they have heard them.

Bossaroo. If I find out you bought the Durrie acetates and didn't share them I will find out were you live.

And I will unleash the full force of Emporer Palapatine on your sorry arse

What I assumed he meant was that there have been some fans who have overdubbed their own instrumental overdubs over the unfinished tracks, since that's what OP is asking about.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 10:41:28 PM »

Thanks for setting me straight.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx