gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:37:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Article: "Brian Wilson Isn't Going Into Seclusion"...and planning new album  (Read 7991 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 12:42:36 PM »

I wonder--if such an album actually ever comes out, which is far from a certainty after 15-20 years of talking about it--whether it ends up "new material, mostly new material," as he said in the pancakesandwhiskey interview, or "it's going to be covers ... and some original stuff," as he said in this interview. I really, really, really hope it would be the former. The occasional cover is fine, but I'd take an album of the likes of "Some Sweet Day," "My Marianne," "How Can We Still Be Dancin," or "Soul Searchin" type and quality material that's new (or at least remakes of unreleased stuff) over half an album (or more) of covers.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Scaroline No
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 12:58:22 PM »

I wonder--if such an album actually ever comes out, which is far from a certainty after 15-20 years of talking about it--whether it ends up "new material, mostly new material," as he said in the pancakesandwhiskey interview, or "it's going to be covers ... and some original stuff," as he said in this interview. I really, really, really hope it would be the former. The occasional cover is fine, but I'd take an album of the likes of "Some Sweet Day," "My Marianne," "How Can We Still Be Dancin," or "Soul Searchin" type and quality material that's new (or at least remakes of unreleased stuff) over half an album (or more) of covers.

I would love it so much if he would re-record It's Not Easy Being Me with his mature voice for this new album, should it happen. Such a great song.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:22 PM »

Less well known Spector songs:  Hung on You, Paradise, Is That What I Get for Loving You,  Girls Can Tell, Run Run Run Runaway.

While this won't happen, I would totally behind something like that if he has to do covers. Brian Wilson covering Paradise? Hell yeah.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »

How about a gender-reversed version of the Shangri-Las' forgottten Jeff Barry-Ellie Greenwich gem "Train From Kansas City?" Lots of room for 60s-style harmonies, and a rocked-up beat.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 05:28:52 PM »

Call me doubtful, but I will believe a new album when it's officially announced with a label signed. This 'I'm making a R&R album for release early next year!' has tended to be a shut down answer for reporters over the years.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37550152
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:35:39 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 06:26:25 AM »

I don't get why anyone thinks much one way or the other about Brian R&R album idea. He has indeed been citing it for at least, what, 20 years or so? Maybe it's sometimes a "shut down" answer, while I do think he genuinely likes the idea. But he has seemed to like the idea in the same way that someone will say "Yeah, we should really go visit the Grand Canyon someday, maybe we'll do that later this year." Or, when I say "I think I really need a haircut, I gotta go do that" and then say that about every other day for the next month or two before I actually go do it.

Much like Mike's vaunted solo album, I still think Brian's R&R album could materialize. Perhaps I've always not cared too much about the concept because it has never sounded interesting to me particularly. Brian re-making Little Richard and Chuck Berry numbers doesn't sound interesting, nor does writing new songs in that mode. If the well is running dry on "new" songs (meaning he also doesn't want to tap the dozens and dozens of archival songs he hasn't released), I'd rather seem him do a broader-reaching "covers" album if that's what he's inclined to do. I'd rather hear more "Wanderlust" type covers and less "Tutti Frutti" type covers.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 06:44:53 AM »

I don't get why anyone thinks much one way or the other about Brian R&R album idea. He has indeed been citing it for at least, what, 20 years or so? Maybe it's sometimes a "shut down" answer, while I do think he genuinely likes the idea. But he has seemed to like the idea in the same way that someone will say "Yeah, we should really go visit the Grand Canyon someday, maybe we'll do that later this year." Or, when I say "I think I really need a haircut, I gotta go do that" and then say that about every other day for the next month or two before I actually go do it.

Much like Mike's vaunted solo album, I still think Brian's R&R album could materialize. Perhaps I've always not cared too much about the concept because it has never sounded interesting to me particularly. Brian re-making Little Richard and Chuck Berry numbers doesn't sound interesting, nor does writing new songs in that mode. If the well is running dry on "new" songs (meaning he also doesn't want to tap the dozens and dozens of archival songs he hasn't released), I'd rather seem him do a broader-reaching "covers" album if that's what he's inclined to do. I'd rather hear more "Wanderlust" type covers and less "Tutti Frutti" type covers.

I definitely don't think Brian's voice is really suited for rock and roll these days.  The more mellow material is more in his wheelhouse.   I can't imagine hearing Brian, or even Al, trying to belt out Little Richard or Chuck Berry songs.  Maybe Blonde plays a bigger role. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 08:23:10 AM »

I dunno; I think some of those oldies are actually perfectly in Brian's vocal range. And there's something to be said for Brian putting more verve into his vocal performances (especially on stage) when he's into a song. That's the only part of his doing a R&R album that I think sounds promising; When he's *into* something, the results are usually better.

So I totally get it; he'd rather sing a Chuck Berry tune than "Surf's Up" at this stage.

Let us all remember than Brian's idea of a "rock and roll album" is more Jerry Lee Lewis than AC/DC. I think we'd be lucky to get something as rocking as "Desert Drive."

I'd frankly rather hear Brian do an album's worth of "rock oldies" in concert than in the studio, as his rather ornate, sleighbells/bass harmonicas/harps/saxophone/lots-of-reverb sort of arrangement/production style tends to soften the "rock" stuff quite a bit.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 08:26:38 AM »

I dunno; I think some of those oldies are actually perfectly in Brian's vocal range. And there's something to be said for Brian putting more verve into his vocal performances (especially on stage) when he's into a song. That's the only part of his doing a R&R album that I think sounds promising; When he's *into* something, the results are usually better.

So I totally get it; he'd rather sing a Chuck Berry tune than "Surf's Up" at this stage.

Let us all remember than Brian's idea of a "rock and roll album" is more Jerry Lee Lewis than AC/DC. I think we'd be lucky to get something as rocking as "Desert Drive."

I'd frankly rather hear Brian do an album's worth of "rock oldies" in concert than in the studio, as his rather ornate, sleighbells/bass harmonicas/harps/saxophone/lots-of-reverb sort of arrangement/production style tends to soften the "rock" stuff quite a bit.

My concern is that Brian, at times, struggles with faster vocals.  And I also share your concern about going into the studio and giving the "Pet Sounds" treatment to some early rock and roll numbers. 
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2017, 05:48:41 PM »

Brian if you can read this you need to cover Elvis' song "Beach Boy Blues"  LOL
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »

Ehh I think 15 Big Ones is a guilty pleasure of mine, I enjoy Brian cutting loose and recording barebones covers.  But the Pet Sounds pizazz is concerning. Something to think about, remember the rumors going around, in past interviews he has hinted at the album title: Sensitive Music for Sensitive People, and Pleasure Island: A Rock and Roll Fantasy (I think).  Whether these two projects are one and the same remains to be seen.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 03:20:13 PM »

Good to be reminded that even in this period of acrimony that Brian still exudes class and sensitivity unlike a certain other personage we're all familiar with Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx