gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:55:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which is better: That Lucky Old Sun or That's Why God Made the Radio?  (Read 13198 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 02:31:25 PM »

I think some of those NPP vocals people like are annoying, honestly, This Beautiful Day and I'm Feeling Sad in particular. I love the Brian-Al-Matt-Blondie-Whoisthat layering and unlayering makes for a fun listening experience. It's really interesting to hear different voices coming and going even within phrases. My two cents.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 10:22:32 PM »

I like both albums but i prefer .. TLOS.. Better songs and more creative.. BW works well with Scott Bennett.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »

Interesting and likely accurate TWGMTR vocal breakdown Hey Jude.
One additional Mike moment to these ears could be during the Bill & Sue almost-acapella refrain which features a prominent bass vocal for about 6 notes.

About Strange World: I love that song, it always however seemed a slight shame that during (I think) the "county fair" part Brian is doing the lead, and behind him is what sounds like another Brian (and a bit of Jeff at the end) repeating the "strange world" line...would have been cool if a little extra care was taken to get Bruce or Al on that part and similar ones.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

Drink a little drip drip drip drip drink a little

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2017, 07:09:58 AM »

I think that TWGMTR is a very good album because we have to consider the age of the BB. Mike and Al voices are almost the same, and Brian.. you know it's always Brian. Al's voice is a focal point in BB albums, if you listen to it without knowing it's from 2012, it seems to have come out by the late 70's, especially in some songs. I love the sound of this album.
This is just my opinion from Italy Smiley

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
KDS
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2017, 07:13:55 AM »

I think that TWGMTR is a very good album because we have to consider the age of the BB. Mike and Al voices are almost the same, and Brian.. you know it's always Brian. Al's voice is a focal point in BB albums, if you listen to it without knowing it's from 2012, it seems to have come out by the late 70's, especially in some songs. I love the sound of this album.

Yeah, for guys in their 70s, the album is quite good. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2017, 07:19:46 AM »

Al's voice is stunningly intact and he does sounds shockingly similar in 2012 to how he sounded in the 80s or even 70s. I wouldn't say the same for Mike, who in 2012 had both a more fragile yet also less nasal voice compared to the 70s and especially 80s.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2017, 07:22:45 AM »

Yes, Mike's voice aged. It's good to hear it's less nasal.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2017, 07:32:49 AM »

Yes, Mike's voice aged. It's good to hear it's less nasal.

True.  I never liked the exaggerated Mike voice from the late 70s / 80s. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2017, 07:40:18 AM »

Mike's book mentions he gave up dairy at some point in the 90s or 2000s to help with the nasal thing. His description of giving up his "beloved Tillamook cheddar cheese" is kinda funny, and he genuinely seems more sad about giving up cheddar cheese and coffee ice cream than he does ending the reunion in 2012.  LOL
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:38:53 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »

Really? This is interesting, is it Mike-invented or popular fact quitting dairy deletes nasality? Edit - smb. answered the question in the message.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:22:48 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JackBz
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2017, 05:04:51 PM »

I was surprised when checking my last.fm the other day that TWGMTR is my 4th most played Beach Boys album behind Smile, Pet Sounds and Today!. It's hard for me to properly formulate an opinion on it because what I love on it I think is some of the best stuff they've ever done, specifically From There to Back Again, but I hardly ever listen to anything in-between the first 2 and last 3 tracks.

That Lucky Old Sun I have had a harder time getting into. Though I love the version of Can't Wait Too Long on here, probably more than any other version I've heard even though it's very brief.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2017, 01:15:33 AM »

Both albums have their high points. TLOS would've made a good BB reunion album. On both records, some of the 'deep' lyrics sound a little forced to me but one song I absolutely love is Pacific Coast Highway. That, to me, is one of BW's very best post-Love You songs. Can't stand Beaches in Mind and Daybreak Over the Ocean is pretty laughable too.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx