gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:24:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anniversary editions for the less revered albums  (Read 2994 times)
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:42:57 AM »

The 40th anniversary treatment for Wild Honey was a really nice surprise. I can see Friends, 20/20 and Sunflower getting the same treatment (maybe even everything up to Love You).

However what about the less revered albums? For example; do we see MIU, LA Light and KTSA getting anniversary editions with lots of bonus tracks? I know I'd buy them! What about you guys?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:43:26 AM by MatchPoint » Logged

KDS
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »

The 40th anniversary treatment for Wild Honey was a really nice surprise. I can see Friends, 20/20 and Sunflower getting the same treatment (maybe even everything up to Love You).

However what about the less revered albums? For example; do we see MIU, LA Light and KTSA getting anniversary editions with lots of bonus tracks? I know I'd buy them! What about you guys?

I'd be surprised if those albums got tangible re-released.  I know it's highly unlikely, but I'd rather see a catch all BB late 70s - early 90s collection that mixes outdates, non album tracks, and live stuff.  I'm not holding my breath though. 

Plus, I have no desire to buy KTSA again. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »

Obviously, those late 70s/early 80s albums don't sell well even for back catalog items. But truly filling them each out with a second full disc of rarities would probably be a way to reinvigorate that stale portion of the catalog. Does anyone want to buy another "remastered" CD of MIU? Not even hardcore fans. But a 2-CD set with the first disc filled out and a second full disc of rarities from all of the guys would move a lot more units.

And, as many have pointed out, the BBs are one of the only bands left whose *unreleased* material (particularly from the 70s) can *still* be a game-changer for critical notices and attention and buzz and all of that.

"Carry Me Home" can get them a ton of new cred and attention, and then in turn it will *also* get people to reassess stuff like "Mess of Help" and "All This is That", and so on.

An "MIU" set with some weird cool Brian stuff will get people buzzing, and also lead them to solid tracks like "My Diane" and even "Pitter Patter."

An "LA" set with some cool Dennis stuff is a no-brainer.

I was recently watching that raw 1986 Carl interview on YouTube where he mentions writing with Robert White Johnson. I continue to have this weird feeling Carl's estate is sitting on a *BUNCH* of Carl demos and fragments and stuff of which we've never heard virtually *anything.* Throw some Carl demos on a BB '85 reissue.

Lavish deluxe sets for "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" are no-brainers of course.

Meanwhile, some boxed sets would also work. A live boxed set. A boxed set of Brian's demos and curios.

Plus, if overheard costs don't allow for easy follow-through on lavish physical CD sets, then push this stuff digitally (downloads and streaming), and make it a big story that, out of nowhere, the Beach Boys have opened *THE MOST IMPRESSIVE ONLINE ARCHIVE* of any band ever. They have a friggin' library of congress-level list of live shows and studio material. They have 25 "Sunshine Tomorrows" without even getting near the bottom of the barrel.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »

Obviously, those late 70s/early 80s albums don't sell well even for back catalog items. But truly filling them each out with a second full disc of rarities would probably be a way to reinvigorate that stale portion of the catalog. Does anyone want to buy another "remastered" CD of MIU? Not even hardcore fans. But a 2-CD set with the first disc filled out and a second full disc of rarities from all of the guys would move a lot more units.

And, as many have pointed out, the BBs are one of the only bands left whose *unreleased* material (particularly from the 70s) can *still* be a game-changer for critical notices and attention and buzz and all of that.

"Carry Me Home" can get them a ton of new cred and attention, and then in turn it will *also* get people to reassess stuff like "Mess of Help" and "All This is That", and so on.

An "MIU" set with some weird cool Brian stuff will get people buzzing, and also lead them to solid tracks like "My Diane" and even "Pitter Patter."

An "LA" set with some cool Dennis stuff is a no-brainer.

I was recently watching that raw 1986 Carl interview on YouTube where he mentions writing with Robert White Johnson. I continue to have this weird feeling Carl's estate is sitting on a *BUNCH* of Carl demos and fragments and stuff of which we've never heard virtually *anything.* Throw some Carl demos on a BB '85 reissue.

Lavish deluxe sets for "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" are no-brainers of course.

Meanwhile, some boxed sets would also work. A live boxed set. A boxed set of Brian's demos and curios.

Plus, if overheard costs don't allow for easy follow-through on lavish physical CD sets, then push this stuff digitally (downloads and streaming), and make it a big story that, out of nowhere, the Beach Boys have opened *THE MOST IMPRESSIVE ONLINE ARCHIVE* of any band ever. They have a friggin' library of congress-level list of live shows and studio material. They have 25 "Sunshine Tomorrows" without even getting near the bottom of the barrel.
Whatever they decide to share with us, I will eat it up. But if they are going to wait for the 50th anniversary of whatever, well, I don't know that I have that much time left! They need to get this stuff out now!
I heard rumours back in 86-87 that Carl was going to do another solo album, but nothing ever came of it. So yes, i'm sure the estate has stuff they are sitting on, waiting for us all to die before they release it.  Sad
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »

50th anniversary editions, not 40th....

I think past 15 Big Ones discography wise, maybe the latter stuff in expanded form will only see the light of day with the digital only releases.  Even CATP might be a stretch for a physical re-release in anniversary form....
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 03:40:25 PM »

Even CATP might be a stretch for a physical re-release in anniversary form....

Unless they reissued it in its original form, as a double album with Pet Sounds.  Gives Capitol another reason to reissue Pet Sounds which they're always looking for.  LOL

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 07:50:24 PM »

LOL
Even CATP might be a stretch for a physical re-release in anniversary form....

Unless they reissued it in its original form, as a double album with Pet Sounds.  Gives Capitol another reason to reissue Pet Sounds which they're always looking for.  LOL
The CATP/PS 50th anniversary box set. Sure, I can see that. Cause we all need to buy PS just one more time.  LOL
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 01:30:48 AM »

Do a 6 cd Love You set.

Charge as much as you want. 

I'll pay.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 09:03:38 PM »

I'd happily, no, much more than happily, buy anything with alternative or unreleased tracks or demo.  Sunshine Tomorrow blows my mind and if there's more stuff like this...the world needs it. 
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »

I'd happily, no, much more than happily, buy anything with alternative or unreleased tracks or demos.  Sunshine Tomorrow blows my mind and if there's more stuff like this...the world needs it.  

I have no idea how I quoted myself.  Please ignore the double post.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:04:55 PM by marcella27 » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 11:11:53 PM »

The deluxe anniversary edition of Summer In Paradise should be released in the form of a cardboard record that you cut out of the back of a Cocoa Puffs cereal box.

Like that, except with cartoon renderings of Mike and John Stamos replacing BooBerry and Frankenberry. Leave Count Chocula in, though, he's legit...just put the Count in a Hawaiian shirt motif cape.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 11:21:27 PM »

If "Why?" is any indication of what the MIU unreleased material is like, then I'd love a box set of MIU sessions and alternate takes.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx