gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone: The Salvation of Brian Wilson  (Read 28896 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2017, 01:49:36 AM »

Interesting to hear Brian is thinking about doing a Rock and Rolll album Grin

That's the first we've heard about that. Grin
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2017, 02:56:00 AM »

It's sure to sell a million units.
KDS
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2017, 05:47:36 AM »

It's becoming the Chinese Democracy of the Beach Boys universe. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2017, 06:31:44 AM »

We could start a whole thread of songs that Brian introduces with a salty tongue.

"Here's a song I wrote in 1966 called 'God, who the f*!k Knows?' "

"Al Hard-on is going to sing a song called Help Me F***king Rhonda!" "Caroline, F***ing No!" "Surfin' the G***d*** USA" "F**k F**k F**k" 

That actually reminds me of a guy that was behind me during the C50 show in 2012 in Berkeley who throughout the night continued to scream for "Caroline No!!!!!!!"

I've never heard someone scream for a soft, thoughtful ballad as if it was "Don't Fear the Reaper" or "Free Bird" or "Highway to Hell" or something.

The guy was hilarious behind me at that show. It started getting comical near the encore part where he went on a full narration: "Get back here Beach Boys! We're not done with you! We're not finished yet!" It went from funny to creepy to so creepy it was funny.

I wanted to tell the poor guy during the concert that I'm a nerd fan and had been following the tour's setlist, and that it was highly doubtful they would be doing "Caroline, No." I don't think that would have stopped him.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2017, 07:08:21 AM »

We could start a whole thread of songs that Brian introduces with a salty tongue.

"Here's a song I wrote in 1966 called 'God, who the f*!k Knows?' "

"Al Hard-on is going to sing a song called Help Me F***king Rhonda!" "Caroline, F***ing No!" "Surfin' the G***d*** USA" "F**k F**k F**k" 

That actually reminds me of a guy that was behind me during the C50 show in 2012 in Berkeley who throughout the night continued to scream for "Caroline No!!!!!!!"

I've never heard someone scream for a soft, thoughtful ballad as if it was "Don't Fear the Reaper" or "Free Bird" or "Highway to Hell" or something.

The guy was hilarious behind me at that show. It started getting comical near the encore part where he went on a full narration: "Get back here Beach Boys! We're not done with you! We're not finished yet!" It went from funny to creepy to so creepy it was funny.

I wanted to tell the poor guy during the concert that I'm a nerd fan and had been following the tour's setlist, and that it was highly doubtful they would be doing "Caroline, No." I don't think that would have stopped him.

If that guy attended any Brian Wilson shows, it must've darn near killed him to have to wait until almost the end of the concert to hear his beloved song.       

I remember attending a Who show in 2002, and somebody near me was screaming "Pinball Wizard" throughout the whole set, then proceeded to leave before the encore, which started with.....wait for it.....Pinball Wizard
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2017, 07:21:31 AM »

When I saw Lou Reed in 2000 as he toured his (fantastic) Ecstasy album, somebody in the balcony yelled early on for one of the "hits." Probably "Sweet Jane."

Lou, in what might have been his only actual interaction with the crowd, responded. "Shut the f*** up."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2017, 08:12:27 AM »

That honor would have to go to the solo album Mike Love has been teasing for decades. Every few years since maybe the late 80's fans get talk like "oh, I'm working on a solo project and it should be out soon...it will surprise people...I have a great producer working on my songs...we'll have some surprises on there!..." and fans get nothing. Oh, and in recent years he has his "insiders" teasing it too, online...but still no solo album. He posts photos of himself and sometimes Bruce with him in various studios from Somerville, MA to Tahoe to La Jolla or wherever he was...surrounded by gear and usually at least one studio guy wearing a Kangol cap at the mixing board during these sessions...but still no solo album.

And instead his fans get Beach Boys remakes and rerecords that are usually sounding like they're 15-20 years past their commercial expiration date and end up getting shredded in the public reactions to them.

Pony up, Mike! Where's that solo album? Maybe if Mike and Axl can get off the road for a few days they can meet up and kvetch about pain in the ass former bandmates over some wheatgrass health shakes, and discuss a collaboration that won't see the light of day.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2017, 08:12:54 AM »

When I saw Lou Reed in 2000 as he toured his (fantastic) Ecstasy album, somebody in the balcony yelled early on for one of the "hits." Probably "Sweet Jane."

Lou, in what might have been his only actual interaction with the crowd, responded. "Shut the f*** up."

Ha...not to derail thread, but I was thinking about Lou and any possible connections to the Beach Boys, as I listened to Velvet Underground and Nico..just pondering about how great and groundbreaking and album it is, and thinking how great and groundbreaking Pet Sounds is..and how the two are at opposite end of the universe. Then I stumbled on some Beach Boys cover album that Lou had sang on.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2017, 08:16:49 AM »

Ha...not to derail thread, but I was thinking about Lou and any possible connections to the Beach Boys, as I listened to Velvet Underground and Nico..just pondering about how great and groundbreaking and album it is, and thinking how great and groundbreaking Pet Sounds is..and how the two are at opposite end of the universe. Then I stumbled on some Beach Boys cover album that Lou had sang on.

For years I said those were my two favorites, and my ideal music would combine their best elements.

I've never heard of Lou on a Beach Boys cover song, though. He definitely was a part of Beach Boys style knock-offs while he was with Pickwick Records, but I wasn't aware of an actual cover. Do you recall what it was?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2017, 08:19:57 AM »

Maybe if Mike and Axl can get off the road for a few days they can meet up and kvetch about pain in the ass former bandmates over some wheatgrass health shakes, and discuss a collaboration that won't see the light of day.

Let's not put those two in the same category. Axl's five peak years surpass Mike's entire 50+-year contribution to popular music.

KDS
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2017, 08:45:38 AM »

Maybe if Mike and Axl can get off the road for a few days they can meet up and kvetch about pain in the ass former bandmates over some wheatgrass health shakes, and discuss a collaboration that won't see the light of day.

Let's not put those two in the same category. Axl's five peak years surpass Mike's entire 50+-year contribution to popular music.

I don't know.  Axl's got one great album, two good ones (that could have been one great one), and an EP in that time (I'm assuming you're not including the pi$$ poor Spaghetti thing in Axl's peak years). 

And I would definitely rather hear a Mike solo album than try to get through Chinese Democracy again
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »

Fantastic article. Brian sounds more like himself in this one. His best published interview in a long time.

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2017, 09:57:45 AM »

For years I said those were my two favorites, and my ideal music would combine their best elements.

I've never heard of Lou on a Beach Boys cover song, though. He definitely was a part of Beach Boys style knock-offs while he was with Pickwick Records, but I wasn't aware of an actual cover. Do you recall what it was?

Yes, Pickwick era. Apparently it's Lou on Little Deuce Coupe, on 'The Surfsiders Sing The Beach Boys Songbook'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aYIb2uS5XL0
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2017, 09:59:08 AM »

Also interesting about Fine is that he seems to be able to get a good rapport going with Mike as well. In case anybody hasn't read it or hasn't read it in awhile, here's his excellent piece written and published during the reunion tour in 2012:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-beach-boys-last-wave-20120621

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2017, 10:07:38 AM »

Of course that (reunion era) is before there was yet another "choosing of sides." I wonder if, after Fine was signed on (for a while) as Wilson's ghost writer and has done Wilson-focused pieces, Love would still get along with him as well. But as a rule, i'd think any writer who lets the artist shine through in a flattering way is going to be accepted. So if he would let Mike say he's about positivity, he didn't do drugs like the Wilsons did, he wrote a huge hit with Kokomo, etc., he'd be more than welcomed.

timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2017, 10:11:38 AM »

That honor would have to go to the solo album Mike Love has been teasing for decades. Every few years since maybe the late 80's fans get talk like "oh, I'm working on a solo project and it should be out soon...it will surprise people...I have a great producer working on my songs...we'll have some surprises on there!..." and fans get nothing. Oh, and in recent years he has his "insiders" teasing it too, online...but still no solo album. He posts photos of himself and sometimes Bruce with him in various studios from Somerville, MA to Tahoe to La Jolla or wherever he was...surrounded by gear and usually at least one studio guy wearing a Kangol cap at the mixing board during these sessions...but still no solo album.

And instead his fans get Beach Boys remakes and rerecords that are usually sounding like they're 15-20 years past their commercial expiration date and end up getting shredded in the public reactions to them.

Pony up, Mike! Where's that solo album? Maybe if Mike and Axl can get off the road for a few days they can meet up and kvetch about pain in the ass former bandmates over some wheatgrass health shakes, and discuss a collaboration that won't see the light of day.
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »

It seems to me  that  for whatever reason ( nerves?) Brian has a group of down pat answers when confronted on the spot or in a interview with a writer he perceives isnt in the know . Its actually kind of funny to me. I wouldn't take him seriously. To me its almost like he's speaking to some of his fans in code! "Im working on a Rock and Roll album" TRANSLATED "you haven't done your research on me so go away!" or "I haven't written a song in five years" TRANSLATED "If I have to answer one more question about the 50th anniversary tour I'm going to quit the business" I personally don't  give any credence to these Brian comments. On the other hand I agree that Jason Fine is one guy who stays patient enough to grab Brian when he is in a receptive mood, and also is a guy who Brian seems to respect enough to think about the way answers.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2017, 10:23:15 AM »

I think you're mostly dead-on, except my guess is it's not about nerves (unless you mean "interview is getting on Brian's nerves" as opposed to "nervous" nerves). It's been 50+ years of talking about a lot of the same old things. Sure, they have a few "new" questions like what is it like to be so active again, but hell, that is a 20-year-old question by now. Brian's interviews should be used for entertainment purposes only.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2017, 11:14:48 AM »

I think you're mostly dead-on, except my guess is it's not about nerves (unless you mean "interview is getting on Brian's nerves" as opposed to "nervous" nerves). It's been 50+ years of talking about a lot of the same old things. Sure, they have a few "new" questions like what is it like to be so active again, but hell, that is a 20-year-old question by now. Brian's interviews should be used for entertainment purposes only.

Maybe the interviews could be 25% more entertaining if he took a cue from Mike next time a RS writer interviews him and acts out a pantomime about his cousin standing on patio furniture, breaks into sobs saying "why am I always the villain?", and calls a previous marriage a "Mexican mistake".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »

Hey now, 25% jokes are my turf. I know you're a mod, but that's no excuse for stealing.  Grin

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »

No

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2017, 12:02:58 PM »

Jason Fine needs BW and Mike in the same room for 25% percent of the next interview. Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »

No

I think you meant:

No

Because it would be weird for me to quote myself with a negation of my statement. But I stand behind it anyway.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »

Jason Fine needs BW and Mike in the same room for 25% percent of the next interview. Evil

Goddamnit. Now you're doing it.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »

Come on and 25% with me!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx