gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:50:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone: The Salvation of Brian Wilson  (Read 28760 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2017, 08:44:18 AM »

New article about the Pet Sounds tour:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-beach-boys-brian-wilson-on-pet-sounds-depression-w499614

I love this exchange between Brian and Al.

"Alan, I'm so proud of you," Wilson says. "Your voice is a natural wonder. We've been through a lot, and look at us, we're still here and we're still kicking ass. I love you, man."

"Well, thank you, Brian, it's all because of you. I love you too."

petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »

Wow, what a great article.  Brian has so much strength and perseverance. 

The last line in the article really got to me.  Don't worry Brian, I have faith that you will go to heaven one day.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:51:11 AM »

Lovely article. Thanks for posting.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »

What a great article!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 10:45:10 AM »

What a sense of humour that man has, despite everything:

"He asks what I do for exercise, and I tell him I play tennis and lift (very light) weights. 'Really?' he asks. 'Like your pectoralis? Are you building up your tits?'" LOL

Priceless! Heaven was made for him.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 10:50:20 AM »

What an uplifting article and interview! Thanks to Jason Fine for writing a great piece on Brian. And it is great to see Brian behind the scenes like this, in real life. It's a very positive example for people dealing with issues of depression to see someone like Brian keep going, doing what he does, and making people happy along with finding happiness in his own life and family. It's a daily struggle to come out of those dark clouds of depression, but here is a man who is still beating all the odds - It's a great example of someone especially hitting age 75 still making a difference and doing it with style and aplomb.

And I couldn't help but think after this article - among other reports and accounts from people who actually know - how foolish it is and has been to hear a cadre of ersatz "insiders" who haven't spent any personal time with Brian in years, various internet commentators with shared agendas and axes to grind, and even his own cousin continue to repeat how "controlled" Brian is, how he's being forced to tour, how he's not happy doing what he is doing, etc etc etc, blah blah blah...

At some point there has to be an acceptance that this report in RS, along with what has already been said by those truly "in the know" to borrow a phrase, is truly how it is in real life. On many levels, including all the talk about the "Beach Boys" getting back together and Brian's state of mind and personal life. Accept no substitutes for the truth and reality, no matter how good the salesmen are trying to peddle the snake oil for various reasons.

Go Brian! We love you!  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »

Great interview. It's so good to see Brian in a lively mood. I love that entire interchange between Brian and Alan.

This little tidbit caught my eye:
"...Wilson has performed 165 shows in 24 countries, with more dates being added into 2018."

Atlanta in 2018, please!

And this one is classic Brian:
"I honestly don't know what happened," Wilson says in his dressing room, with a shrug and a soft smile. "I thought I was gonna hang it up. But then I changed my mind. I said, 'What am I gonna do? Sit around and watch TV? No way!' Nothin' was really happening back in L.A., so I figured I might as well go tour. I just said, 'Well, f**k it, I might as well get off my ass and tour.' So I got off my ass and toured."

Listening
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:56:27 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »

Jason Fine must have so many cool stories in his notepad that never made it to print.  It must be awesome to just hang out with Brian and have conversations with him like this. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 11:38:47 AM »

wow, I really loved that article.

pleasantly depressed  LOL LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
blueeyedtreefrog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »

Really wonderful article, from the beginning to the pictures (loved the one of Brian with a hose) to that beautiful closing:

"As I say goodbye, Wilson holds onto my hand for several seconds, then leans over and kisses it. "I hope I give a good show tonight," he says quietly. "And I hope I go to heaven.""

You sure are, Mr. Wilson! We love you so much!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »

Even better if you read Brian's quotes in his voice!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »

Did anybody notice the article's vintage photo of Mike, with Carl on the phone in the background? Whoever wrote the caption to that photo has mistaken Carl for Brian.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:17:57 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 12:33:30 PM »

"I don't have valleys or peaks anymore. I don't get too high or too low. It's been a long time since I've had serious depression, or elation. Mostly I'm just pleasantly depressed."

"Pleasantly depressed" - love that! Made me laugh because that's exactly the kind of thing Brian would say.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »

Did anybody notice the article's vintage photo of Mike, with Carl on the phone in the background? Whoever wrote the caption to that photo has mistaken Carl for Brian.

I saw that too. In their defense it is sort of a weird pic of carl. My thoughts were “thats carl not brian. Wait, is that carl? I think it is?”
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 01:11:39 PM »

"Hey, it's Al Hard-On," Wilson says,  deadpan  LOL LOL LOL

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »

Sack the sub-editor

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 03:14:55 PM »

Version I'm reading seems to have a changed vintage picture so must have been picked up.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »

Okay, does anyone get this joke? "Al Hard-on" doesnt rhyme with his "Al Jardine"....usually those kind of names rhyme or are a pun....for example recently in the news reince priebus at the white house had a nickname as reince penis....maybe im just over thinking this i guess? haha
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 03:53:21 PM »

Seems to me that Brian's recent autobiography would have been a much more interesting read if the writer of this article, Jason Fine, had been the cowriter of I Am Brian Wilson, as originally planned.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:55:07 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 06:09:49 PM »

Wonderful article. This is the second or third time Jason Fine has profiled him, and Brian is obviously comfortable with him. Great mutual respect between Brian and Al.

That last part is so moving. Impossible not to love Brian.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 07:57:33 PM »

Okay, does anyone get this joke? "Al Hard-on" doesnt rhyme with his "Al Jardine"....usually those kind of names rhyme or are a pun....for example recently in the news reince priebus at the white house had a nickname as reince penis....maybe im just over thinking this i guess? haha

It makes sense if the J is silent, like the name Julio. A former co-worker who actually gave Al a lift in his station wagon outside an early 70's gig in the NE pronounced Jardine as "Hardine", so who knows. Maybe it's an inside joke or the way some pronounce his name!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 08:03:43 PM »

After re-reading that article and interview, again the obvious hits me square across the face...It's amazing how wrong some of the fanbase really is and has been about Brian, like who he is, what he does, etc. You know, the basics of everyday life and his touring in recent years. He's having a grand time and he has a kick-ass band along for the ride, along with Beach Boys Al and Blondie. So much for insiders and experts.

And it's also striking to consider why would this man at this point in his life want anything to do with a redux of the C50 bullshit? He's riding high at age 75 and doing what he wants...good for him!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 08:21:56 PM »

Great interview. It's so good to see Brian in a lively mood. I love that entire interchange between Brian and Alan.
Yes, I like seeing/ reading dialogs between Al & Brian. I'd like to say that usually I don't read interviees, they usually ask same questions, it's boring. Imo the best interviews used to be from any BB except the main - Mike & Brian. Al esp. insightful interviewee. Decided to read this after seeing praises, it's indeed very good. I like that Brian jokes, btw if Needleinthehay didn't get the joke regarding Al's last name, it seems it's Brian's half-humorous/ half-serious plea "Don't be hard on Al", it's good friendly standing for old friend.
Mr. Fine seems to be good at bringing out the best/ most from who he interviews.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »

Is that really Brian motherfucking Wilson talking in that fucking article/ I mean, dammit, this guy sounds positively hyper, dammit! And I have to love how every couple fucking years, the press writes this bullshit  about Brian being on a comeback. Brian hasn't gone anywhere, he's been out on tour regularly since 1999. I guess that's how you sell fucking magazines, though, always gotta be in fucking hype mode. There was at least one revealing moment in the article, though: "I haven't written a song in 5 years."
Dammit!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »

Seems to me that Brian's recent autobiography would have been a much more interesting read if the writer of this article, Jason Fine, had been the cowriter of I Am Brian Wilson, as originally planned.

25% better?  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx