gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:08:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone: The Salvation of Brian Wilson  (Read 28758 times)
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »

Well maybe the reason some fans think Brian will return to the fold again is because he has done so before, more than once....He just seems to need his Mike Love fix every once in a few years....
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2017, 05:21:12 PM »

I'd like to hop at one point, when things slow down a little more and Brian and Mike aren't doing so many shows that they can at least break bread as cousins, and enjoy the third act of life and reflect on what they were able to accomplish together.  

What is sad, I mean really sad, is that the Love brothers are estranged and have been for years. Unless they have since reconciled in the past year???  If anything I'd think fans and supporters would be pushing more fervently for the Love brothers to break bread and at least make some moves toward patching things up. That's the direct blood relative relationship there, and I also think of the various families who could be sharing time together, at this point getting to know each other as uncles, nephews, nieces, etc...These are the people who grew up in the same house and Mike seems to be estranged from them...as others have said, that's personal family business, but for all of the endless talk about Brian and Mike getting together to break bread, isn't anyone a little more sad to see Mike's own family and his own brothers fractured as they have been?

So forgive me if my bias is showing again, but it was jarring to hear Mike's biographer/co-author on a podcast interview make it a point to say how Brian was estranged from the Love family...to which I posted a reply in the form of a photo taken within weeks prior to that podcast showing Brian smiling with his cousin Maureen at a show. Yet not a word about Mike's actual brothers being estranged from Mike.

So I have to wonder beyond the normal family dynamic where people want to see relatives patch thing up and get back together as a matter of goodwill and normal human emotions, if among the fanbase (and deeper going into all that insider bullshit) there is some kind of warped notion that Brian and Mike need to break bread so the Beach Boys brand sees an increase in market value...

Because simple, basic, unfiltered human emotions and reactions would dictate that a guy who has spent the past several years telling potentially hundreds of thousands of fans - via public comments supposedly given in the name of promoting concert dates with local media - how his cousin Brian is still being controlled, drugged, and other niceties must think words don't matter. If Brian did indeed check out and slam that door shut, how many normal people would blame him? If I picked up a newspaper and read a close friend or cousin trashing me or my family publicly, that would be it...done.

Narcissists are typically responsible for people being estranged from them.  There does seem to be a sad pattern and common factor here.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:49:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2017, 06:36:55 PM »

Well maybe the reason some fans think Brian will return to the fold again is because he has done so before, more than once....He just seems to need his Mike Love fix every once in a few years....

Seriously who invited this clown to the board? I haven't posted in a while but, it's time to come back. Mike Love fix? That bugger practically fired Brian, took the name of the band from his cousin who for one has the talent and could write more songs than Mike with his hand tied behind his back. Sue  your own cousin who has no control of what happens at that time, what a jerk. Mike is a vocalist at best and lyrics, that's it. Where's his Piano playing or song writing? Yeah Mike's the Greatest keep listening to your Surf records and reliving the early 60's. I'm sorry but, Brian will always be better than Mike, Solo or otherwise. Were is Mike Solo album being reissued or written? Oh wait it hasn't. He should still be pumping gas.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2017, 06:54:23 PM »

Take the band, music and wives out of the picture and I still think Brian and Mike could get along ok. They did it at a ball game some years back.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2017, 06:59:43 PM »

Take the band, music and wives out of the picture and I still think Brian and Mike could get along ok. They did it at a ball game some years back.

Right. And it's because Brian is simply too nice. This is part of his personality that has gone back years.  Somebody who is so endlessly - and even worse, publicly - judgmental about another person's wife and lifestyle in general should not be given the time of day at a certain point.

Basically, what you're saying is if you take away the toxicity that Mike brings to the table, Mike and Brian could get along fine. And I'm sure that's true.  But toxicity seems inate to Mike, sadly.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:39:40 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »

Oh Mike is a jealous SOB for sure.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »

Now I've got "The ink is black, the page is white" song going through my head.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2017, 11:32:09 PM »

The Brian is nice. The Mike is not
'Cos one of them keeps on smoking pot.
Smoking pot.
What Brian needs to understand
Is Mike is the lord of all the band
All the band

The Brian is fat. The Mike is thin
But one of them holds their belly in
Their belly in.
But just look close, and don't be fooled
'Cos Mike has the fattest head of all
Head of all

Brian is sad. But Mike's upbeat
Together they make us tap our feet
Tap our feet
But Kokomo don't make me cry
I'd rather listen to Till I Die
Till I Die
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:44:40 PM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2017, 02:13:55 AM »

Smoking pot.
All the band

Their belly in.
Head of all

Tap our feet
Till I Die

LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2017, 05:29:57 AM »

Smoking pot.
All the band

Their belly in.
Head of all

Tap our feet
Till I Die

I think Brian has found his new lyricist!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2017, 06:25:14 AM »

I think Brian wasn't comfortable having Carl's vocal on Waves of Love.  That's my two cents.  Brian's getting older, so I'm not harping on his physical condition, he seems to enjoy being on the road, even with his bad back, so that's good for him.  At least he isn't horribly depressed, smoking, or overeating anymore.  At this point, that's pretty much the best case scenario here.

The moment I read the story about Brian bolting when Al tried to get him to work on "Waves of Love", the first thing I thought was that Brian felt uncomfortable because of Carl's vocals being there.

I still think it's a possibility, but we really have zero to go on other than a big assumption. Brian has worked on posthumously-recorded Carl stuff befor ("Soul Searchin'"). That's not to say he's always up to it though.

But my main point on the "Waves of Love" story was simply that Brian rejected one of *Al's* songs, yet Al didn't whine and moan about it after the fact, and in fact kept playing with Brian to this day. Whereas, Mike *got* one of his solo songs flown into the album (complete with glowing Brian compliments) and did get to at least get his lyrics and name on several other songs, yet he complained about not having a larger hand in the album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2017, 08:10:56 AM »

I'd like to hop at one point, when things slow down a little more and Brian and Mike aren't doing so many shows that they can at least break bread as cousins, and enjoy the third act of life and reflect on what they were able to accomplish together. 

What is sad, I mean really sad, is that the Love brothers are estranged and have been for years. Unless they have since reconciled in the past year???  If anything I'd think fans and supporters would be pushing more fervently for the Love brothers to break bread and at least make some moves toward patching things up. That's the direct blood relative relationship there, and I also think of the various families who could be sharing time together, at this point getting to know each other as uncles, nephews, nieces, etc...These are the people who grew up in the same house and Mike seems to be estranged from them...as others have said, that's personal family business, but for all of the endless talk about Brian and Mike getting together to break bread, isn't anyone a little more sad to see Mike's own family and his own brothers fractured as they have been?

So forgive me if my bias is showing again, but it was jarring to hear Mike's biographer/co-author on a podcast interview make it a point to say how Brian was estranged from the Love family...to which I posted a reply in the form of a photo taken within weeks prior to that podcast showing Brian smiling with his cousin Maureen at a show. Yet not a word about Mike's actual brothers being estranged from Mike.

So I have to wonder beyond the normal family dynamic where people want to see relatives patch thing up and get back together as a matter of goodwill and normal human emotions, if among the fanbase (and deeper going into all that insider bullshit) there is some kind of warped notion that Brian and Mike need to break bread so the Beach Boys brand sees an increase in market value...

Because simple, basic, unfiltered human emotions and reactions would dictate that a guy who has spent the past several years telling potentially hundreds of thousands of fans - via public comments supposedly given in the name of promoting concert dates with local media - how his cousin Brian is still being controlled, drugged, and other niceties must think words don't matter. If Brian did indeed check out and slam that door shut, how many normal people would blame him? If I picked up a newspaper and read a close friend or cousin trashing me or my family publicly, that would be it...done.

Honestly, my hope for Mike and Brian to reconcile personally has nothing to do with seeing The Beach Boys brand increase in market value. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2017, 08:51:08 AM »

Even if we're just playing an idealized version of some sort of objective party trying to or hoping to get Mike and Brian to reconcile, it's important to come at it with an idea of where the estrangement is coming from. The "they both need to put in equal effort to reconcile" vibe I get in this case (and in many cases where a third party wants two others to reconcile) is not applicable in the Mike/Brian scenario in my opinion.

Mike left Brian five years ago. It's also clear Mike doesn't like Melinda. So either Mike needs to get over it, or Brian needs to divorce Melinda so Mike can write lyrics for Brian where he cites old BB lyrics and titles. Which scenario is more fair to ask of these people?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2017, 08:54:37 AM »

Even if we're just playing an idealized version of some sort of objective party trying to or hoping to get Mike and Brian to reconcile, it's important to come at it with an idea of where the estrangement is coming from. The "they both need to put in equal effort to reconcile" vibe I get in this case (and in many cases where a third party wants two others to reconcile) is not applicable in the Mike/Brian scenario in my opinion.

Mike left Brian five years ago. It's also clear Mike doesn't like Melinda. So either Mike needs to get over it, or Brian needs to divorce Melinda so Mike can write lyrics for Brian where he cites old BB lyrics and titles. Which scenario is more fair to ask of these people?

I'll admit that Mike would likely have to be the one to put in the effort. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »

I wasn't going to go there, but for me personally that is what can be most disgusting about this whole scenario. I think I may have written one rant about that in the past year, but the notion that there is an element where some may want the notion of Mike and Brian getting back together to write songs to win out over Brian's marriage of 20+ years, his family, and his personal life in general is disturbing. Seriously, hearing and reading some of the comments after both Mike's and Brian's books came out about this notion that Brian would or should get back to writing or playing with Mike if only some roadblocks weren't in the way of that...disgusting.

And I came out of that whole fetid swamp of reading that crap thinking, ok - This just isn't normal on a basic human level. If getting into a room to write fucking lyrics with Mike is somehow viewed as a greater goal than a man's marriage and raising a family, that's just plain bizarre. And I won't even get into the efforts to smear and discredit Brian's wife Melinda, both publicly and privately.

The man portrayed in this RS piece is a happy man in a good place despite dealing with a full plate everyday for years and somehow managing to take each day on his own terms while making a lot of people happy with his music. That's inspiring. It's inspiring too that he found someone who loves him unconditionally and is there for him, a true life partner. That's real life, that's what we need to celebrate, instead of people who should know better or are simply ignorant trying to suggest what the world needs now isn't love, but instead a Love-Wilson collaboration once the "roadblocks" have been removed. Oh, please... Roll Eyes

But, welcome to the world of Beach Boys discourse.

I'm happy for Brian. And Mike got exactly what he wanted back in 2012, so maybe this "if only they could get back together again..." stuff should finally run its course and disappear.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »

Finally got around to reading this....it was embarrassing.  Brian really does not have anything to say.  The excessive cursing made me wonder just how good his mental state really is at this point.  Brian used to say there was no such thing as bad publicity, but after reading this, yeah, I would say there is. 

I don't know why I even bother to read these articles anymore, it is always the same damned thing, "I'm depressed, I believe in spiritual love, hope Pet Sounds helped somebody out, wanna do a rock and roll album".  It was okay the first hundred times, but these articles really do seem like Groundhog's Day.  Didn't that Fine guy just do something really similar like a couple of years ago?  Heck, I'd rather hear what Mark Lindsey is up to nowadays, at least I have not read the same article about him over and over and over....

Really, unless he has something new and interesting to say, he really just ought to shun these types of situations, it's sending his mystique or what is left of it straight into the crapper....
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »

Finally got around to reading this....it was embarrassing.  Brian really does not have anything to say.  The excessive cursing made me wonder just how good his mental state really is at this point.  Brian used to say there was no such thing as bad publicity, but after reading this, yeah, I would say there is. 

I don't know why I even bother to read these articles anymore, it is always the same damned thing, "I'm depressed, I believe in spiritual love, hope Pet Sounds helped somebody out, wanna do a rock and roll album".  It was okay the first hundred times, but these articles really do seem like Groundhog's Day.  Didn't that Fine guy just do something really similar like a couple of years ago?  Heck, I'd rather hear what Mark Lindsey is up to nowadays, at least I have not read the same article about him over and over and over....

Really, unless he has something new and interesting to say, he really just ought to shun these types of situations, it's sending his mystique or what is left of it straight int3o the crapper....

I'm opening a jumbo sized bag of dry roasted peanuts and settling back to watch the fireworks.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2017, 12:11:41 PM »

Mikesthegreatest must be Mike Love's actual SS account.... Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »

Really, unless he has something new and interesting to say, he really just ought to shun these types of situations

I think this sentiment actually applies more to your posts.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »

He has baited posters back at least as far as the Ego board, sometimes with a grain of truth to be fair.

Choose to read the posts or not.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:13 PM »

Really, unless he has something new and interesting to say, he really just ought to shun these types of situations, it's sending his mystique or what is left of it straight into the crapper....
My thoughts exactly. I think it's embarrassing to read about a 70-something Brian cussing like a teenager; don't believe the talk about "a rock and roll album". The great comeback everyone talks about is just Brian going out, doing what people criticized Mike and Co for doing all these years - touring endlessly, living off the past.

And for the record, Mark Lindsay hasn't done much since leaving Paul Revere and the Raiders in 1975. Occasionally he comes out with a new cd, as he did with Life Out Loud in 2013. He was supposed to have another one out last year titled Summer Of Love. Was selling pre-orders on his website, but fans never got the cd, and the website is down now. Not the first time Lindsay has fleeced his fans - not good business for a guy whose fan base is very small these days.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2017, 06:16:59 AM »

The great comeback everyone talks about is just Brian going out, doing what people criticized Mike and Co for doing all these years - touring endlessly, living off the past.

Actually, the main criticism leveled at Mike has been use of the Beach Boys name, which is not something Brian is guilty of. Further, a common criticism of Mike in the first ten or so years of his tour was a stale, hits-centric setlist, which again Brian was not guilty of during his contemporaneous touring.

Also worth noting is that Brian has toured *multiple* FULL albums of new material. *Any* tour, outside of an artist literally only playing stuff off their newest album, is a case of, at least in part, "living off the past." But I'd say Brian doing tours playing TLOS in full, the Gershwin album in full, and even the completed "Smile" to some degree, not to mention digging into deeper cuts YEARS before Totten convinced Mike it was okay to do the same, make Brian's touring situation over the span of the last 20 years *far* different from Mike's.

There are plenty of valid criticisms of Brian (I think a lot of fans and maybe even Brian himself have grown tired of the PS portion of his live show), but trying to contend there are vast similarities between what Brian has done on tour and what Mike has done on tour, as if they've both done the same thing, is an unfortunate attempt at re-writing history. They both play BB songs and charge money for tickets. The similarities mostly end there. They're not much more similar to each other than Papa Doo Run Run is to either.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:19:49 AM by HeyJude » Logged

KDS
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2017, 06:32:42 AM »

The great comeback everyone talks about is just Brian going out, doing what people criticized Mike and Co for doing all these years - touring endlessly, living off the past.

Actually, the main criticism leveled at Mike has been use of the Beach Boys name, which is not something Brian is guilty of. Further, a common criticism of Mike in the first ten or so years of his tour was a stale, hits-centric setlist, which again Brian was not guilty of during his contemporaneous touring.

Also worth noting is that Brian has toured *multiple* FULL albums of new material. *Any* tour, outside of an artist literally only playing stuff off their newest album, is a case of, at least in part, "living off the past." But I'd say Brian doing tours playing TLOS in full, the Gershwin album in full, and even the completed "Smile" to some degree, not to mention digging into deeper cuts YEARS before Totten convinced Mike it was okay to do the same, make Brian's touring situation over the span of the last 20 years *far* different from Mike's.

There are plenty of valid criticisms of Brian (I think a lot of fans and maybe even Brian himself have grown tired of the PS portion of his live show), but trying to contend there are vast similarities between what Brian has done on tour and what Mike has done on tour, as if they've both done the same thing, is an unfortunate attempt at re-writing history. They both play BB songs and charge money for tickets. The similarities mostly end there. They're not much more similar to each other than Papa Doo Run Run is to either.

Believe it or not HJ, I mostly agree with this. 

But, if Lonely Summer is referring to the last three years, I think the comparison is a little more accurate.

When Brian toured NPP, only 3-4 songs per set were from the new album.   And, having attended four BW shows and two M&B shows since 2015, I think the quality of the shows is pretty much neck and neck. 

Basically, to put a bit more of a positive spin on LS's assessment, what I'm saying is that both bands put on great showcases of BB classics, and the quality of Mike's shows have caught up with the quality of Brian's. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »

Believe it or not HJ, I mostly agree with this. 

But, if Lonely Summer is referring to the last three years, I think the comparison is a little more accurate.

When Brian toured NPP, only 3-4 songs per set were from the new album.   And, having attended four BW shows and two M&B shows since 2015, I think the quality of the shows is pretty much neck and neck. 

Basically, to put a bit more of a positive spin on LS's assessment, what I'm saying is that both bands put on great showcases of BB classics, and the quality of Mike's shows have caught up with the quality of Brian's. 

I think Lonely Summer was kind of making a "Brian's show is as artistically invalid as Mike's", which I'm not sure is what most of us are thinking on either side of that equation.

As far as NPP songs in the setlist, 3-4 songs from a new album is common and more than enough, and is typical of most legacy artists pushing a new album. It's what McCartney does, what the BBs (very generally speaking) did in the 80s and 90s when they pushed a new album on tour, and so on. 3 or 4 songs from the new album for a year, and then most of the stuff gets dropped.

Even with 3-4 "new album" songs on an album's first tour, that's still more "new" material than you get at a Mike show.

People keep honing in on Brian's setlist of the last few years as if he's not doing something adventurous enough, but it ignores that with PS in the setlist, he's pretty locked into a setlist with only a few slots to work with. He's going to do a selection of "classics", plus PS, plus the encore songs, and that doesn't leave much room. I'd also argue that any setlist with the full PS album is automatically a "deep cuts" setlist. I think we're being too jaded if we try to suggest "Let's Go Away For Awhile" or "I Know There's An Answer" are all of a sudden "meat and potatoes" numbers.

Look at Brian's 2013 non-Beck tour setlists. Tons of deep cuts nad even some solo stuff. Custom Machine, This Car of Mine, Little Bird, Your Imagination, Going Home, That's Why God Made the Radio, Summer's Gone, and so on. I think Brian could easily move back to that when PS isn't in the setlist. Even in 2015 with several NPP songs, they worked in stuff like "This Whole World", "She Knows Me too Well", "Wake the World", "Busy Doin' Nothin'", "Surf's Up", etc.

Also, in comparing Mike and Brian's band, I would also argue that, especially considering I consider Matt Jardine a de facto Beach Boy, you get almost exclusively BBs singing the leads at Brian shows. Mike's show features a good hunk of Totten and Cowsill and Ike singing the leads (for the sake of some sort of comparison, I'll go ahead and also consider Foskett of a similar status as Matt, even if I don't think it's exactly the case).

You get more "Beach Boys" singing leads at a Brian Wilson show than at a "Beach Boys" show, and I think that *is* important. Papa Doo Run Run and California Surf Inc. and the Surf City All Stars all put on excellent professional shows too. Mike's band is something more like a high-end version of those bands as opposed to Brian's band. In my opinion.

I've said on many occasions that Mike owes a lot to Totten and what he has done for the touring band. The show in the last 5-10 years is better than it was previously (and those who say it's even better in the last few years should note that Mike poached TWO people from Brian's band to make that happen). When Stamos isn't there hamming it up, it's undoubtedly uniformly a tight, pro show. But it's an hour of backing guys singing leads in a band called "The Beach Boys", with one of the two actual Beach Boys doing almost *nothing* to add to the proceedings.

Again, Brian's show is not free of criticism. I don't think PS should be considered meat-and-potatoes, and I think the PS album in the setlist immediately makes Brian's setlist more "deep" than Mike's, but I also acknowledge that Brian appears to be sick of it and puts more energy into singing "I'd Love Just Once to See You" or even "Do It Again." I certainly hope they're not booking *more* PS shows next year.

KDS
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2017, 09:20:05 AM »

So far, the ads for 2018 shows I've seen don't mention "Pet Sounds."  I think after a two years, a setlist shake up would be great. 

I could be wrong, but I took LS's post as more defending Mike's band than criticizing Brian's. 

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx