-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:54:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Hurricane Harvey
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey  (Read 13818 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »

We're thinking about you and your family, Billy, along with everyone else affected by this in Texas, and sending nothing but the most positive thoughts your way!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 02:25:55 PM »

Glad to see you're Ok Billy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »

I hope you and yours are staying safe out there, man. No news is not always good news.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »

Just been stuck in my apartment for past several days. Devastation around me but literally skipped my apartment complex. Definitely am blessed. Only thing is I ran out of my medicine and every pharmacy closed around here, not that I could get there anyway.  But if this is the worst of things for me, I'll definitely count my blessings

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »

Great news Billy! Hopefully you'll be able to get your medications, but it's good that your area was spared.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 10:59:26 AM »

Not even my area, just the complex. Two lights down and everything is under water and f***ed up.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 11:40:10 AM »

Hang in there Billy.
It's almost too much to bear.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 01:13:45 PM »

Praying for you guys. Already made and pointed people toward the red cross. Make sure you give what you can bear to help out!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 01:48:15 PM »

Hang in there Billy.
It's almost too much to bear.

Is Harvey slowly moving on? (I can't get my head around these $@$£%^$^& weather charts.) I sincerely hope so. And will it be easing off as it goes?

I hope you're out of the firing line, E. And that Billy and family are out of it real soon. Thinking of you, folks.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »

The storm is finally starting to move, slowly, towards the Texas/Louisiana border. Should go northeast through Louisiana tomorrow.
Where I am, we had some heavy rain and a brief flood warning this morning. Since then it's been rain, stop for a while, then more rain, stop, etc. it's raining heavily as I post.
Fortunately we haven't had the "training effect" rain that Houston and some other areas have had. That's where there's a constant movement of rain over the same area, like a train.
We're not totally in the clear yet. As the storm moves north the likelihood increases of bands of rain coming up over us. The mess should finally clear out by Thursday.
And on top of this it's the 12th anniversary of our city's disaster. Seeing what's going on in Houston brought all those memories back of that horrible day and the couple of miserable years after that...

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with Billy and his family, and for others that I know there - they all are dry, but like Billy are surrounded by water for now.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with Billy and his family, and for others that I know there - they all are dry, but like Billy are surrounded by water for now.

I hope things are okay where you are, E. And that Billy and family are finally in the clear, with a minimum of damage...

Thinking of you guys.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »

Thank you, John.
We in New Orleans lucked out, as we didn't get the "training" rain over us. Mobile, Alabama got it.

The southwest part of Louisiana got hammered. And right across the state line in Texas, the cities of Beaumont and Port Arthur (Janis Joplin's birthplace) were almost wiped out. Scary situation there. Plus the water system in Beaumont broke down so their hospital had to be evacuated.

Hope Billy's okay and that he was able to get his meds.

Deciding today what charities to donate to. Some for people, and a couple taking care of animals.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »

Just found this thread -- sending prayers out for Billy and everyone affected by this terrible storm.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »

It's very hard to watch. Brings back bad memories.
And this is just the beginning. Going back to the neighborhood once the floodwaters go away, having to deal with that 'smell', of mold, dead plants, rotted food, dead animals...
Having to muck out the house. At first, in my case, I would pick up every item that had been submerged and decide whether to keep it or not, After a while, realizing that nothing was salvageable, I used a shovel that the Red Cross had provided and shoveled it all into a garbage can.
I'd wear a white mask, and after leaving the house after a couple of hours, it was black.
I worked during the week (job re-located temporarily 2 hours away) so did clean up on weekends.
Had a cough for a solid year.
And the insurance hassles, especially if you have a mortgage and the mortgage company uses the money to pay down the principal on the house instead of releasing it for repairs :-(.
Plus I assume that a lot of these flood victims, not being on a flood plain, didn't have flood insurance.
Fly by night contractors who take the money and run, or make shoddy repairs.
And on and on.

Hope and pray that these people will have it easier, that they will be given a "hand-up" to help them get on with their lives,

P.S. HOWEVER - There were SO many people who helped me out of the good of their hearts. When I was in Jacksonville, Florida  for a couple of weeks after Katrina, the congregation of a small church took up a collection and gave me several hundred dollars. They didn't have to do it but they did.
Now, I must pay it forward...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:47:57 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2017, 02:24:09 AM »

P.S. HOWEVER - There were SO many people who helped me out of the good of their hearts. When I was in Jacksonville, Florida  for a couple of weeks after Katrina, the congregation of a small church took up a collection and gave me several hundred dollars. They didn't have to do it but they did.
Now, I must pay it forward...

The Dutch TV news showed a guy who came by boat (his own boat) from way outside the stricken area to help, out of the goodness of his heart. So yes, that helps to restore one's faith in humanity in the face of those trying to make a fast buck out of other people's misery...   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2017, 01:10:02 PM »

Billy, how are you and your family doing now? Let us know when the time is right. :=)

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 04:56:17 PM »

Hope those suffering in Texas and southwest Louisiana won't be forgotten, now that attention is being given to that mega storm, Hurricane Irma.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: