gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:25:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Strawberry Alarm Clock on Touring with The Boys  (Read 2944 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »

excerpt from Marina Del Rey's weekly Argonaut:

...we toured with The Beach Boys. And all those bands were older. Like in 1967, Mike Love of The Beach Boys was 27 years old. He was nine years older than me. I thought he was a dad. In those days if you were over 30, you weren’t to be trusted.

What did you learn from these only slightly older guys?

We learned a lot when we were with The Beach Boys. I mean, they helped us out. They knew that we were nervous to be there at all, but they were helping us out with vocals, during sound checks. But they also used to suggest, “Why don’t you guys find some nice sweaters? … You know, to wear.” Because we were wearing those East Indian clothes, and then about two years later you saw the Beach Boys, or at least Mike Love, wearing the same thing. And it was like, “Oh, okay. They finally got it.” But back then when we were touring with them, it was like, “You know you guys are all good-looking guys. You’d look really good if you were wearing some slacks and nice sweaters and stuff.”

The Venice Beach Music Fest is from 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 26, where Windward Avenue meets the Venice Boardwalk. The Strawberry Alarm Clock goes on at 6 p.m. Tickets are free. Visit facebook.com/venicebeachmusicfest for the full lineup.

http://argonautnews.com/50-years-after-the-summer-of-love/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:15:41 PM »

Thanks, Ed. Always fascinating to read these accounts, particularly one from a band that was a one-hit wonder. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »

I have a nice sweater...... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 02:13:09 PM »

The Strawberry Alarm Clock followed up that "one hit" with a another top 30 hit called Tomorrow.  Not prolific by any means but...they still perform from what I'm told and they did release more music 'cause I also recall hearing them sing a version of something or other from Hair.  The old Oliver hit...Good Morning Starshine I think.

Slacks and sweaters?  In 1967-68.?!?!?  No wonder Brian wanted to make some changes.  That's pink slip material.  Obviously Murry wasn't the only out and out square hangin' 'round the group. 

Hey!!!  Guys!!!  Did I mention hats???

Guys?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »

Lee you got a golf sweater? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 02:42:23 AM »

The Strawberry Alarm Clock followed up that "one hit" with a another top 30 hit called Tomorrow.  Not prolific by any means but...they still perform from what I'm told and they did release more music 'cause I also recall hearing them sing a version of something or other from Hair.  The old Oliver hit...Good Morning Starshine I think.

Slacks and sweaters?  In 1967-68.?!?!?  No wonder Brian wanted to make some changes.  That's pink slip material.  Obviously Murry wasn't the only out and out square hangin' 'round the group. 

Guys?

Psychedelic sweaters would have worked, with or without the slacks. I once had some espedrilles I painted with acrylic rainbow colours.

Psychadelic Sweaters could have been a good name for a band.

Although I always thought 'That's a Good Name For a Band' would be an awesome name for a band. That's intellectual property by the way.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 02:53:27 AM »

Yes, it was that song. I gave their first album a quick listen (they've recording five all told). It's all a bit samey to these cloth ears.

Blues Magoos were another one-hit act, but their album with the hit wasn't bad at all. And it's aged better, in my opinion.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 07:18:47 PM »

Guys?

Psychedelic sweaters would have worked, with or without the slacks. I once had some espedrilles I painted with acrylic rainbow colours.

Psychadelic Sweaters could have been a good name for a band.

Although I always thought 'That's a Good Name For a Band' would be an awesome name for a band. That's intellectual property by the way.

The Beach Boys could have changed their name to The Psychadelic Striped Shirts! Haha

But actually, I do think the Beach Boys were a bit behind the times on their concert wardrobe in 67-68. I think they looked fine in their street clothes. If they all just dressed the way they normally dressed and not match they would have fit in just fine.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 06:48:37 AM »

Well the bbs definitely had a square image-they were part of that early sixties non threatening pop scene that replaced the original and rebellious rock movement. If 1950s Elvis scared the hell out of parents, 1960s Elvis was clean cut in a nice sweater and until 1968 no long sideburns. The bbs music was great bu their image was never cool in a rebellious rock and roll way. They were always a band that mom and dad could tap their toes to too
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 06:53:47 AM »

Nice band. Cool to read such "musicians about BBs" citations. Thank you, Mr. Roach.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 01:25:25 PM »

Nice band. Cool to read such "musicians about BBs" citations. Thank you, Mr. Roach.

If only I'd written something like this instead of my negative and disrespectful post. Thank you, RR. :=)

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx