gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:54:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Ocean Blue at 40  (Read 4838 times)
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2017, 11:05:43 AM »

Ethereal Masterpiece.

Underrated Gem.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »

Second that - one of the most unique records of the rock era - a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 12:32:40 PM »

I revisited it just two days ago. It sounded as heart-warming and as heartbreaking as ever.

And there are things happening on it that you aren't likely to find happening anywhere else.

As c-man said, it's one of a kind.

Bless you, Dennis.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 04:08:44 PM »

Wonderful, wonderful album, happy anniversary POB. I wish it hadn't come down to a choice between Tug of Love and End of the Show, if they could have added ToL it would have been more magnificent.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »

Not as good as Looking Back with Love.

MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »

Just kidding. This album is so special.

I almost always play it start to finish and every time I do it feels like taking a road trip with a good friend.

It's also a blessing that the 30th Anniversary Edition sounds so solid. It's one of the few albums I don't occasionally try to replace with a higher quality version. Sonically perfect.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 06:10:04 PM »

I almost always play it start to finish and every time I do it feels like taking a road trip with a good friend.

That’s the most perfectly concise description of this album I’ve ever heard. It really is! This 40 year old album is absolutely timeless. Glad so many others dig it as much as I do.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »

Pacific Ocean Blue(and Bambu) is one of those rare albums that you don't just love, but you're proud to have in your collection.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 11:12:59 PM »

I haven't get to 'get' this album.

I absolutely love some songs (River Song, Pacific Ocean Blues, Rainbows), and dig a few of the others (What's Wrong, You And I, Farewell My Friend), but as the whole I just can't get what's so astonishing about this entire album.

I don't think there's single bum track to be found on the album (maybe one possible exception), but the entire album is not among my BB favorites. Currently I enjoy 15 Big Ones tracks more than this album's tracks.

Someday I hope I come to appreciate the greatness of this album. Perhaps giving it a listen every day, just like I did with Pet Sounds when I had a hard time, would help me 'get' this album.  

Anyway, happy 40th birthday to Pacific Ocean Blue!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:23:52 PM by Watamushi (Polly Poller) » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 12:28:50 AM »

I absolutely love some songs (River Song, Pacific Ocean Blues, Rainbows), and dig a few of the others (What's Wrong, You And I, Farewell My Friend), but as the whole I just can't get what's so astonishing about this entire album.

I don't think there's single bum track to be found on the album (maybe one possible exception), but the entire album is not among my BB favorites. Currently I enjoy 15 Big Ones tracks more than this album's tracks.

Someday I hope I come to appreciate the greatness of this album. Perhaps giving it a listen every day, just like I did with Pet Sounds when I had a hard time, would help me 'get' this album.  

I have similar feelings about this album. I like it much more than what the group was doing at the time (15BO, Love You), but I don't hear a masterpiece.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 02:06:15 AM »

Not as good as Looking Back with Love.

It's a close thing, but I give POB the nod by an RCH.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
TheWonderfulHarpsichord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 02:14:32 AM »

One of my favorite albums. I'm glad it's getting recognition in recent years
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 02:25:30 AM »

Ageless album
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 02:51:28 AM »

Ageless album
Agreed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 03:12:34 AM »

Here’s my take on it: it’s no Pet Sounds in that each song isn’t a masterpiece because of some amazing hooks and chorus’. But it is comparable to Pet Sounds in that each song conveys a real true emotion that you can feel down to your bones.

Musically it made no sense to me when I first heard this album. What the hell? There’s this beautiful song called ‘Time’ that is completely interrupted by a loud as hell brass section...it makes no sense and it throws me off. So many songs on this album are like this! But therein lies the brilliance for me: it is perfectly Dennis Wilson because he’s not trying to follow the norm of conventional music. Dennis turns music on its head with this album. That brass section in ‘Time’ sounds like its shattering glass because Dennis was a shattering glass kind of person.

But he was also a deeply loving individual. So when you listen to ‘Thoughts Of You’, you’re hearing a deep down real emotion that isn’t interrupted by the convential norms of pop music. There is no reoccurring chorus, no verse really. It’s Dennis Wilson sharing a feeling deep inside of him - and that’s what makes this album so awesome. Each instrument has a purpose, each background vocal, each line, each random moment that takes you off guard: it’s all meant to move you in a way you won’t understand at first.

He could’ve spent a couple years compiling solo songs that sounded like his brilliant ‘Slip On Through’. He was perfectly capable of writing radio-friendly songs. But he didn’t for this album. He made the ultimate rock n roll statement by walking away from anything that would make sense to the listener.

I’ll compare this album to the movie ‘The Tree of Life’ by Terrence Malick. At first I didn’t get the movie. It’s got random sections that just appear for seemingly no reason. It doesn’t follow the normal theme of Hollywood films (intro, buildup to climax, climax, happy ending) - it completely threw me off, yet I loved it because of its beauty. I realized the movie is like visual poetry, and with that outlook I finally understood the film. Same goes for POB: if you dive into it expecting something similar to every album you’ve heard you’ll be thrown off guard. But if you dive into it with zero expectations, with the perception that this is auditory poetry, you may just find that this is a true groundbreaking masterpiece. It’s the ultimate “f*** you” to the norm that music had become, and it’s a beautiful gift to those who would understand its meaning.

Sorry for rambling, but I hope that explanation helps you understand why so many love this album - or at least, this is my reasoning for loving this album. And I’m not saying you have to love this album, it mostly does depend on your own taste!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 03:27:07 AM »

Here’s my take on it: it’s no Pet Sounds in that each song isn’t a masterpiece because of some amazing hooks and chorus’. But it is comparable to Pet Sounds in that each song conveys a real true emotion that you can feel down to your bones.

Musically it made no sense to me when I first heard this album. What the hell? There’s this beautiful song called ‘Time’ that is completely interrupted by a loud as hell brass section...it makes no sense and it throws me off. So many songs on this album are like this! But therein lies the brilliance for me: it is perfectly Dennis Wilson because he’s not trying to follow the norm of conventional music. Dennis turns music on its head with this album. That brass section in ‘Time’ sounds like its shattering glass because Dennis was a shattering glass kind of person.

But he was also a deeply loving individual. So when you listen to ‘Thoughts Of You’, you’re hearing a deep down real emotion that isn’t interrupted by the convential norms of pop music. There is no reoccurring chorus, no verse really. It’s Dennis Wilson sharing a feeling deep inside of him - and that’s what makes this album so awesome. Each instrument has a purpose, each background vocal, each line, each random moment that takes you off guard: it’s all meant to move you in a way you won’t understand at first.

He could’ve spent a couple years compiling solo songs that sounded like his brilliant ‘Slip On Through’. He was perfectly capable of writing radio-friendly songs. But he didn’t for this album. He made the ultimate rock n roll statement by walking away from anything that would make sense to the listener.

I’ll compare this album to the movie ‘The Tree of Life’ by Terrence Malick. At first I didn’t get the movie. It’s got random sections that just appear for seemingly no reason. It doesn’t follow the normal theme of Hollywood films (intro, buildup to climax, climax, happy ending) - it completely threw me off, yet I loved it because of its beauty. I realized the movie is like visual poetry, and with that outlook I finally understood the film. Same goes for POB: if you dive into it expecting something similar to every album you’ve heard you’ll be thrown off guard. But if you dive into it with zero expectations, with the perception that this is auditory poetry, you may just find that this is a true groundbreaking masterpiece. It’s the ultimate “f*** you” to the norm that music had become, and it’s a beautiful gift to those who would understand its meaning.

Sorry for rambling, but I hope that explanation helps you understand why so many love this album - or at least, this is my reasoning for loving this album. And I’m not saying you have to love this album, it mostly does depend on your own taste!
Thanks for your review. I'll sure try it.
Scaroline No
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 06:23:50 AM »

I totally agree with what's been said above about being proud to have this in one's collection. It's one of my favourite albums to put on the turntable.

Something about Dennis' songs is just so ethereal. Not just on POB, all of them. I always get this feeling he's still with us somehow.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 06:33:27 AM »

My copy of POB is autographed by Dennis. It originally belonged to a DJ named Tom Doyle. Dennis wrote on the album cover "To Tom Doyle, Get Well, Dennis Wilson 9/26/77". Next to my Beatles Butcher Cover copy of Yesterday And Today it is a most cherished piece and is displayed in a glass frame.

I love POB and all of its moodiness. From the opening piano riff representing the flow of the river to the mournful farewell which ends the LP, it's a perfect album in my opinion.
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 08:01:18 AM »

My copy of POB is autographed by Dennis. It originally belonged to a DJ named Tom Doyle. Dennis wrote on the album cover "To Tom Doyle, Get Well, Dennis Wilson 9/26/77". Next to my Beatles Butcher Cover copy of Yesterday And Today it is a most cherished piece and is displayed in a glass frame.

I love POB and all of its moodiness. From the opening piano riff representing the flow of the river to the mournful farewell which ends the LP, it's a perfect album in my opinion.

Snap a picture man, that sounds awesome!

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 12:42:06 PM »

MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 02:12:43 AM »

That's so neat. I bet you were stoked when the 30th Anniversary edition came out.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 07:03:15 AM »

Thanks to its 40th anniversary and positive comments of everyone here, I seem to have really 'got' how great this album is.

It's not as catchy as most of Dennis's Beach Boys songs, but it has the same vibe- sincerity, passion and beauty of the sound.

Now I've even started to appreciate Bambu. The Pacific Ocean Blue album is now up there with albums like Today!, Love You, Friends and BW88.

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 09:26:36 AM »

The songs Dennis wrote for the Boys are genius, so is Pacific Ocean Blue, and maybe I like Bambu even more (though it may be the "unfinished masterpiece" effect). The Deluxe Edition with the reconstructed Bambu was one of the most unexpected and thrilling musical surprises in my life.
However, POB sounds exactly as new and fresh now as 40 years ago. Really ageless. Brian, Dennis, & Carl
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:31:53 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx