gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:28:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trombone Dixie  (Read 2542 times)
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2006, 02:56:16 AM »

a few nights ago, in one of those dreams that you wake from feeling elated, then instantly crushed, brian sat at the piano and sang me the whole of the vocal line to Trombone Dixie.  (as is often the mad way with dreams, the laws of physics were rather elastic, and he was able to sing all the bb's backing vocals at the same time.)  damned if i can remember a single note of it.  but it got me thinking.

is there any record of a song having been written for this backing track?  i'm struck that it would be unusual for him to cut an elaborate track without having had a song already in place for it.  (or would it?)

can any of you groovers help?
El Goodo
Smiley Smile Associate

coffee man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 03:38:35 AM »

Its all on the Remember the Zoo album Smiley
El Goodo
Smiley Smile Associate

coffee man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 03:42:11 AM »

But seriously......

I dont know of any lyrics or anything else being considered for Trombone Dixie. I don't think the melody lends itself well to a planned vocal to my ear. I consider it an instrumental experiment in much the same way that the PS title track and Lets Go Away For A While developed and evolved. This one just fell by the wayside for a few decades, nice bonus track though.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 04:40:54 AM »

'Had to phone ya' is based on it, so perhaps the original melody was along those lines (ie: not that great)

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 12:07:52 PM »

I think "Trombone Dixie" and also "Three Blind Mice" were Brian experimenting in '65 to see if he could pull of something like Pet Sounds.  I think they were his ways of fine tuning his abilities in the studio to arrange strings and horns to his own liking.  Even though it was pretty much abandoned by Brian, Trombone Dixie is one of my favorite BB instrumentals.
SG7
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 12:11:06 PM »

Trombone Dixie is like the peak (of course right up there with LGAFW and PS) of his genius. It combines the sound he was doing at the time. I find it to be quite beautiful.
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 09:45:19 AM »

TD based on 'had to phone ya'?  blimey.  i could have sworn 'had to phone ya' was based on 'love to say da da'.  mind you, now you mention it, i can hear it...
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 09:46:29 AM »

(idiot.)  of course, i meant ''had to phone ya' based on TD?'
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx