gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:53:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston's Grammy (video)  (Read 3089 times)
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »

I had never been able to find video or photos of Bruce Johnston winning his Song of the Year Grammy. I started to wonder if it actually happened. After some digging I finally found it. At the tail end of this clip you can watch Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. present Bruce Johnston with his one and only Grammy award. He looked pretty happy about it. I'm sure Mike was in the audience crying a single teardrop of joy. 

Video: https://youtu.be/OpryIXT4bUA?t=5m06s

It cuts shortly after he accepts so I'd be very interested to see more if it exists. Was there a full speech?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »

I had never been able to find video or photos of Bruce Johnston winning his Song of the Year Grammy. I started to wonder if it actually happened. After some digging I finally found it. At the tail end of this clip you can watch Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. present Bruce Johnston with his one and only Grammy award. He looked pretty happy about it. I'm sure Mike was in the audience crying a single teardrop of joy. 

Video: https://youtu.be/OpryIXT4bUA?t=5m06s

It cuts shortly after he accepts so I'd be very interested to see more if it exists. Was there a full speech?

I wonder if Bruce's Grammy is prominently displayed on his fireplace mantle.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:25:59 PM »

Funny how Mike bashes Bruce for work he actually did.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 03:28:13 PM »

Funny how Mike bashes Bruce for work he actually did.... Roll Eyes

It's a love thing.

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »

Man, two mics and Bruce didn't adjust either one!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 01:18:05 AM »

Nice find. Charmingly schmaltzy to have McCoo and Davis Jr. sing excerpts from each song, but at least it gives us a prolonged glimpse of McCoo's lovely visage. In hindsight, IMO This Masquerade should have taken the honors, even if IWtS was written about Brian like they say, which might sway some opinions here.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:29:54 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 07:55:31 AM »

Nice find. Charmingly schmaltzy to have McCoo and Davis Jr. sing excerpts from each song, but at least it gives us a prolonged glimpse of McCoo's lovely visage. In hindsight, IMO This Masquerade should have taken the honors, even if IWtS was written about Brian like they say, which might sway some opinions here.

Bruce had some interesting reflections on the yellow board earlier this year;

"I thought that Leon Russell’s great song "This Masquerade” would have won over the four other songs in the running for the 1976 Grammy Song Of The Year Award. I had a custom made tux made by Manuel Cuevas for the 1977 Grammy Awards telecast. Manuel formerly worked for his father-in-law, Nudie (the famous rodeo tailor), and Manuel had recently opened his own shop just blocks away from Nudie’s shop in North Hollywood. As you know, Manuel moved his company to Nashville and has been very successful there for many years designing amazing clothing.

When I came to Manuel’s shop to pick up my new tux (1977 and wide lapels were again in style!), I saw the great jazz music producer Tommy LiPuma’s name tag for his new custom made tux. I was positive that Tommy would receive at least one Grammy for producing George Benson’s great recording of “This Masquerade” and I wrote him a short note wishing him the best of luck at the upcoming Grammys and then I placed my note in an inside pocket of his tuxedo jacket (FYI: Tommy won for Record of The Year for “This Masquerade”!!!).
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 08:25:09 AM »

"I thought that Leon Russell’s great song "This Masquerade” would have won over the four other songs in the running for the 1976 Grammy Song Of The Year Award. I had a custom made tux made by Manuel Cuevas for the 1977 Grammy Awards telecast. Manuel formerly worked for his father-in-law, Nudie (the famous rodeo tailor), and Manuel had recently opened his own shop just blocks away from Nudie’s shop in North Hollywood. As you know, Manuel moved his company to Nashville and has been very successful there for many years designing amazing clothing.

When I came to Manuel’s shop to pick up my new tux (1977 and wide lapels were again in style!), I saw the great jazz music producer Tommy LiPuma’s name tag for his new custom made tux. I was positive that Tommy would receive at least one Grammy for producing George Benson’s great recording of “This Masquerade” and I wrote him a short note wishing him the best of luck at the upcoming Grammys and then I placed my note in an inside pocket of his tuxedo jacket (FYI: Tommy won for Record of The Year for “This Masquerade”!!!).

Oh cool, where is this from?

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 09:34:53 AM »

Nice find. Charmingly schmaltzy to have McCoo and Davis Jr. sing excerpts from each song, but at least it gives us a prolonged glimpse of McCoo's lovely visage. In hindsight, IMO This Masquerade should have taken the honors, even if IWtS was written about Brian like they say, which might sway some opinions here

Oh cool, where is this from?

From Beach Boys Britain. Bruce is a semi-regular poster over there
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:36:11 AM by Juice Brohnston » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »

They actually misspelled Bruce's last name on the original burned-in graphic which appeared onscreen as he went up to get the award. Ouch.

I wonder how many people attending or watching in 1977 knew Bruce had been a member of The BBs.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:02:05 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 10:01:40 AM »

They actually misspelled Bruce's last name on the original burned-in graphic as he went up to get the award. Ouch.

I wonder how many people attending or watching knew Bruce had been a member of The BBs.

Whoa, I totally missed that! I wonder if the typo was etched onto his award too.

Good question. It think there's still a lot of people who don't know he's a member. When my friend's saw Mike & Bruce recently they referred to it as seeing "Mike Love and some session musicians".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:02:35 AM by MatchPoint » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx