gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:43:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A new Beach Boys article.  (Read 3955 times)
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2017, 02:45:56 AM »

A Beach Boys article in The Independent today. Please feel free to sign up and leave your thoughts.

https://tinyurl.com/y8z8jkjj

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:27:55 AM »

Thought it was a fresh take, worthy of being pursued further (re: "Brian's Song" and the state of longing for either the past and the present as the romantic condition; the beach as an eroding border between being "here today" and the "lonely sea", etc.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »

Brian invented mope rock.  It surely hurt the bands overall popularity in the long run....
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »

Brian invented mope rock.  It surely hurt the bands overall popularity in the long run....

Huh Huh Just think how popular they would have been without Brian. Right. I'd be more than happy to tell you who was the most significant member to surely hurt the band's overall popularity in the long run though.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 01:43:10 PM »

Didn't Mike invent "Transcendental  Rogaine rock for swingers"?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »

Brian invented mope rock.  It surely hurt the bands overall popularity in the long run....

You should change your name to Septic Tank, as most of your posts are full of sh*t.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 05:43:40 PM »

Brian invented mope rock.  It surely hurt the bands overall popularity in the long run....

You should change your name to Septic Tank, as most of your posts are full of sh*t.

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 07:00:49 PM »

Septictanksthegreatest. Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 11:13:50 PM »

Hey, I think your post here is a little unreasonable.

I also disagree with his view, and I can see why you wanted to tell him such a thing, but there's no use making fun of him with words that imply himself or his point of view is like excrement.

Please don't insult anyone, or in other words, treat anyone poorly with what they have said. If you think he's getting out of line, you have rights to warn or ban on him, since you're a mod. Otherwise, you should reply and show your disagreement in politer way.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 12:48:09 AM »

You truly are a fan worthy of Mike Love!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 06:47:15 AM »

I also disagree with his view, and I can see why you wanted to tell him such a thing, but there's no use making fun of him with words that imply himself or his point of view is like excrement.

Please don't insult anyone, or in other words, treat anyone poorly with what they have said. If you think he's getting out of line, you have rights to warn or ban on him, since you're a mod. Otherwise, you should reply and show your disagreement in politer way.

Sometimes it's actually better and more functional for a message board (and Billy would know this as a long-time mod) to just tell someone their post is full of s**t and then move on rather than actually immediately *escalating* the situation to an "official" warning or ban.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 06:50:20 AM »

This bit seems quite puzzling:

I learned only on the death last week of Glen Campbell that he had played guitar on Pet Sounds and gone on tour with the band. And his brand of wistful, melancholic yearning is integral to the Beach Boys mentality. Think of “Peggy Sue”, for example: “how my heart yearns for you.” Presumably unrequited.

Was this added to simply be part of keyword searches for Glen Campbell?

How his Campbell's post-Beach Boys material "integral to the Beach Boys mentality?"

And what does the *Buddy Holly* song "Peggy Sue" have to do with any of this already-tenuous comparison?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 07:08:06 AM »

I doubt that humanity's love affair with the beach will ever come to an end.  People continue to flock to the beaches around the world to find a bit of serenity, even if just for a brief period.  Songwriters still write songs about going to the beach, seems like country music has taken the torch). 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 07:15:13 AM »

Sometimes it's actually better and more functional for a message board (and Billy would know this as a long-time mod) to just tell someone their post is full of s**t and then move on rather than actually immediately *escalating* the situation to an "official" warning or ban.

Exactly. Watamushi, Billy has seen some fairly horrible crap go on during his (long) time of moderation in this forum. Mike’sTheGreatest post history is chock full of borderline trolling, I think most of us are fairly sick of it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »

Exactly. Watamushi, Billy has seen some fairly horrible crap go on during his (long) time of moderation in this forum. Mike’sTheGreatest post history is chock full of borderline trolling, I think most of us are fairly sick of it.
Okay, got it. It's alright if it would work well in the end.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 07:37:57 AM »

If I was a moderator there wouldn't be any of these problems.

I'd ban the lot of you.
KDS
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »

The mods aren't the problem.  It's those darn rockers!! 
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »

I've had this conversation elsewhere but I don't think the article works for quite a few reasons. Trying to cite the Beach Boys' music as symbolic of a love affair with the beach, or with hedonism or existentialism is silly when some of the songs referenced,  eg Sloop John B, weren't even originally Beach Boys' songs. I Get Around and Wouldn't It Be Nice have two different lyricists who had a completely different mindset. Brian may have been a Beach Boy but he wasn't really a beach boy - he was and is a musician. His sometimes melancholy songs had more to do with his upbringing and his own nature than with disillusionment with the beach or with hedonism. Til I Die is often taken to be existentialist but the words could equally relate to a sense of powerlessness as to the brevity of human existence.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »

I had to write so many "HomeTown Buffet" style papers in college where you have to pick the "angle" of criticism you have to write from from Column A, and then pick the "Topic" from Column B, and then have to bulls**t you way through making the two things reconcile.

"Feminist Criticism as Explored in "Karn Evil 9"

"Derrida, Deconstruction, and Steve Urkel."

The fact that so many of these thinkpieces that use the BBs or Brian Wilson as their underpinning seem to be utter bulls**t makes me wonder how many other essays I read about things I had little foreknowledge of were also total bulls**t.

This particular article seems extra vague in its assertions, and seems like it probably could have been clearer and more interesting *without* dragging the Beach Boys' music into it. That only seems to muddy the points, especially when the writer draws in tracks that, as Ang pointed out, were not even written by anyone in the band or were songs written by difference lyricists or in different eras (the author cites "Beaches in Mind" without noting *when* it was written, which I think could have brought in a much more interesting angle on the idealization of beach imagery and all of that sort of stuff).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:51:48 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 09:30:18 AM »

Theories drawn re: Brian and the Boys based on lyrics provided by good ol' Tony seems rather a weak point in terms of this yawn inspiring article.  To be so out of touch with the actual and true historical core of the apple bitten into here suggests that not much thought was given to Glen's involvement let alone the subject at hand.

Guess he's dumb.

Summer at the Beach began to subside when skin cancer began to knock us back into the shade.  Sharks didn't help much either.  And me in a speedo?

R   U   N   !!!!!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx