-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:24:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Scott Bennett Update: He's Due to Be Released
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Bennett Update: He's Due to Be Released  (Read 41022 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »

B b b b but he is still paying...and will for the rest of his life.  He was blinded by the situation he found himself in.  As was the victim herself.  Sorry "pal" but she bears some responsibility for getting so effin' 'pisssssssssssed' that she relinquished her ability to even begin to fend for herself.  No two ways about it.  He was totally wrong and will have to live with being ostracized for it for the rest of his life.  She, on the other hand, should be forgiven for being so gawd-dammed stupid.  What happened to her?  She'll never be able to recall it..not one iota of it.  So?  She will have learned nothing.  Huh 

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »

My goodness, Lee Marshall.  I agree that it is advisable that we all avoid imbibing excessive amounts of  alcohol and other drugs for our own sakes, as that leaves us less able to protect ourselves. That is a far cry, however, from saying that the victim of a sexual assault  shares responsibility with a rapist for his choice to violate her. This man aggressed on her. If someone forgets to lock their car door does that make a carjacker less culpable?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 06:44:23 AM »

Agree...her lack of restraint and ability to maintain a level of awareness for her own safety in no way makes Scott less culpable.  At no time did I suggest that he should have received less in terms of his punishment.  She DID NOT 'get what she deserved'.  She was though not able to put up any resistance or a line of defense due to her own stupidity.  I'd bet she no longer gets anywhere near as loaded as she used to.  And if she does?  Well...we may read her name in print yet again.

Sometimes, although not 50/50, people have to share the blame.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2018, 06:40:06 AM »

Not even 99/1%. This kind of thinking is just what is used by predators to help justify their behavior. "Oooh, she dressed like this or that, is in a vulnerable state, etc., so it's OK to do XYZ!" She was 100% for engaging in risky behavior, that is an issue of self-protection between herself and herself. He is 100% responsible for aggressing on another human being. Huge difference.
MsBecca
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2018, 11:03:50 AM »

Not even 99/1%. This kind of thinking is just what is used by predators to help justify their behavior. "Oooh, she dressed like this or that, is in a vulnerable state, etc., so it's OK to do XYZ!" She was 100% for engaging in risky behavior, that is an issue of self-protection between herself and herself. He is 100% responsible for aggressing on another human being. Huge difference.

Thank you. I do not care how messed up you are there is no excuse. Someone close to me was raped and it took her a long time to move past it. She had been partying pretty hard that night and the guy who did it was her ride home, her so called designated driver.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 07:12:22 PM »

Neither one of you 'get' what I'm saying.  He was guilty and found so.  With that I agree 100%.  The fact that she was defenseless did not give him license to do what he did.  It was not an invitation.  It was not a reason for him to violate her.  The fact that she was in THAT condition, though, was HER fault.  She left herself totally vulnerable.  For that she HAS to take some responsibility.  There are,after all, consequences for actions...in REAL time.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 08:54:08 PM »

Thank you. I do not care how messed up you are there is no excuse. Someone close to me was raped and it took her a long time to move past it. She had been partying pretty hard that night and the guy who did it was her ride home, her so called designated driver.

That's horrible

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 06:39:25 AM »

Neither one of you 'get' what I'm saying.  He was guilty and found so.  With that I agree 100%.  The fact that she was defenseless did not give him license to do what he did.  It was not an invitation.  It was not a reason for him to violate her.  The fact that she was in THAT condition, though, was HER fault.  She left herself totally vulnerable.  For that she HAS to take some responsibility.  There are,after all, consequences for actions...in REAL time.
I got what you said, Add Some. 3D You said the right thing. She shouldn't've got too tipsy if, clearly, she must be aware that when she drinks too much she doesn't think clearly. F.ex. some drink much & still stay with clear thinking. She doesn't. Which means she should've drink little.

Frankly, drinking is evil. Quit drinking, folks. It doesn't bring anything good. As strict teetotaler, I don't see the point in drinking. Even so-called social drinking. Not to mention it's got terrible taste going by the sharp fragrance. Hate it. I don't buy into its effect to lift the mood either. You, drinkers, delusioned by this myth. It, conversely, makes matters worse.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:53:44 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 07:33:21 AM »

Neither one of you 'get' what I'm saying.  He was guilty and found so.  With that I agree 100%.  The fact that she was defenseless did not give him license to do what he did.  It was not an invitation.  It was not a reason for him to violate her.  The fact that she was in THAT condition, though, was HER fault.  She left herself totally vulnerable.  For that she HAS to take some responsibility.  There are,after all, consequences for actions...in REAL time.
I got what you said, Add Some. 3D You said the right thing. She shouldn't've got too tipsy if, clearly, she must be aware that when she drinks too much she doesn't think clearly. F.ex. some drink much & still stay with clear thinking. She doesn't. Which means she should've drink little.

Frankly, drinking is evil. Quit drinking, folks. It doesn't bring anything good. As strict teetotaler, I don't see the point in drinking. Even so-called social drinking. Not to mention it's got terrible taste going by the sharp fragrance. Hate it. I don't buy into its effect to lift the mood either. You, drinkers, delusioned by this myth. It, conversely, makes matters worse.

In moderation, and if done responsibly, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a drink or two.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 07:36:27 AM »

I disagree. Answer in Movies.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 07:39:57 AM »

I can't say I agree with this element of your discussion, Lee.

The fact is is that, for some, getting blitzed out beyond self-control is a very pleasurable experience. If someone wants that experience, it shouldn't be considered as a "fault". In a decent society, one should be able to get into those particular states of intoxication without the fear that they are going to possibly going to come under physical attack when they are there. It isn't too far from basic civility to operate under the belief that when one is slightly or even fully incapacitated that we don't abuse them, regardless of whether they made the perfectly reasonable choice to become that intoxicated or whether they didn't.

"Ah, but human nature," one might respond. We can't rely on the decency of humans and therefore other people's lack of a moral compass should therefore restrict our own actions. That is, the people who lack basic decency should get to decide for us how we treat our own bodies. Well, even if you put aside the fact that the very premise is obscene, I would also reply that what we call "human nature" is in reality something that is not set in stone. Human behaviour can change. Therefore, surely, if we are going to push for change, it should not be to talk people out of perfectly normal and reasonable behaviour - that is, going out and getting intoxicated beyond self-control - but instead work to convince more and more people that when people are engaging in that perfectly normal and reasonable behaviour that we don't abuse them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 07:43:57 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2018, 07:47:48 AM »

What? It's perfectly reasonable & normal behavior to get intoxicated? Since when? & I very much disagree when you say that for some, it's pleasurable experience to get intoxicated. It's, once again, illusion. But when they get out of it, it leads to bad things. You can't go against this fact. Then, why should people get pleasurable experience? Is living about pleasures? Since when? Plus, there's many nice safe joys to enjoy instead op being tipsy & such.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2018, 08:11:34 AM »

What? It's perfectly reasonable & normal behavior to get intoxicated?

Yes.

Since when?

This has always been the case.

I very much disagree when you say that for some, it's pleasurable experience to get intoxicated. It's, once again, illusion. But when they get out of it, it leads to bad things. You can't go against this fact. Then, why should people get pleasurable experience? Is living about pleasures? Since when? Plus, there's many nice safe joys to enjoy instead op being tipsy & such.

Neither you nor I get to define what is a pleasurable experience for others nor how they choose to live their lives. Just as no one has the right to come along and denigrate or restrict your tea-totaling, no one has the right to denigrate or restrict people who choose to become extremely intoxicated.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:13:28 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
KDS
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2018, 08:15:34 AM »

What? It's perfectly reasonable & normal behavior to get intoxicated? Since when? & I very much disagree when you say that for some, it's pleasurable experience to get intoxicated. It's, once again, illusion. But when they get out of it, it leads to bad things. You can't go against this fact. Then, why should people get pleasurable experience? Is living about pleasures? Since when? Plus, there's many nice safe joys to enjoy instead op being tipsy & such.

Neither you nor I get to define what is a pleasurable experience for others nor how they choose to live their lives. Just as no one has the right to come along and denigrate or restrict your tea-totaling, no one has the right to denigrate or restrict people who choose to become extremely intoxicated.

There was a time in my 20s, when I used to take great pleasure in getting together with my buddies, getting extremely intoxicated, and having some laughs.   Nobody did anything foolish or reckless.   Other than some bad hangovers, nobody got hurt.   And we're all still alive and well to tell the tale. 

Of course, now, I just prefer to catch a nice little buzz to relax.   But, I have zero regrets about those times from my 20s.   
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2018, 08:20:27 AM »

There was a time in my 20s, when I used to take great pleasure in getting together with my buddies, getting extremely intoxicated, and having some laughs.   Nobody did anything foolish or reckless.   Other than some bad hangovers, nobody got hurt.   And we're all still alive and well to tell the tale.  

Of course, now, I just prefer to catch a nice little buzz to relax.   But, I have zero regrets about those times from my 20s.  

Sounds perfectly reasonable and normal to me!  Smiley

Also, I should say that myself I very rarely drink and when I do it's almost never to the point of intoxication. However, I would never think to impose my own lifestyle choices on others. Just as when it irks me when people, say, want to impose their eating habits and workout regimes on others because they believe it to be a superior lifestyle choice. I don't eat beef or pork and I try to work out when I can but I make it a point never to criticize others who are not living the same lifestyle that I am. As far as political systems go, that's another matter...  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:21:02 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 08:28:06 AM »

I didn't say anything about superior lifestyle & deciding what the others live like. Not sure where you read it. Merely gave advice in 1st post. The way you stated point-blank it's normal & reasonable behavior to get intoxicated sounds like you stated it as fact. Which is not. It's your opinion. Some people may disagree with it.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 08:29:38 AM »

I didn't say anything about superior lifestyle & deciding what the others live like. Not sure where you read it. Merely gave advice in 1st post. The way you stated point-blank it's normal & reasonable behavior to get intoxicated sounds like you stated it as fact. Which is not. It's your opinion. Some people may disagree with it.

It's not an opinion. It is a fact. And, yes, some people do disagree with facts but, to be honest, I have no patience for that.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »

Interesting. Care to bring sources where it's presented as fact?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2018, 08:38:54 AM »

Interesting. Care to bring sources where it's presented as fact?

That's an extraordinarily bizarre request. Would I need sources to suggest that it is a fact that it is perfectly normal and reasonable to not drink?

We don't need to (nor could we) run experiments to decide what is factually reasonable. Rather, we use reason to decide whether something is true or false.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:41:43 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2018, 08:49:12 AM »

I figured that when you said repeatedly it's fact, you based it on some scientific researches, to be frank.

So, do you actually say that it's perfectly reasonable & normal to both drink & not drink? Is it right conclusion?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2018, 08:52:21 AM »

I figured that when you said repeatedly it's fact, you based it on some scientific researches, to be frank.

So, do you actually say that it's perfectly reasonable & normal to both drink & not drink? Is it right conclusion?

Yes. Human freedom is reasonable, and human freedom means self-ownership. Therefore when someone is using their freedom to carry out any action that doesn't take away another person's same right to freedom, they are engaging reasonably.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2018, 09:04:03 AM »

Thanks, I'll take that answer. For the record, I didn't think it's right to bring excuses to Scott's behavior as to why he did what he did etc. Me & Emily discussed it via messages (I've got habit to talk with posters via messages, to ask question about sth. that doesn't make sense or am curious about, discuss serious/ not really issues etc).

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2018, 09:08:58 AM »

For the record, I didn't think it's right to bring excuses to Scott's behavior as to why he did what he did etc.

No, I know - I didn't think you were making excuses for him.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »

I don't think many people regard "getting blitzed out beyond self-control" as reasonable behavior. In this context, they'd understand it to be inappropriate, excessive behavior (even if they enjoyed it).

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2018, 11:21:32 AM »

There is probably a distinction to be made between reasonable and understandable. It is understandable why someone might get drunk: relieve social anxiety, relieve stress, self medicating, or even give oneself permission to behave in a certain way. But it isn’t really reasonable, in that the potential or likely (depending on how often and to what degree you do it) consequences by most accounts outweigh the benefits.

I say this as a pretty regular drinker. But ask someone whose liver is failing or who faces serious prison time after multiple DUIs whether the drinking was reasonable.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: