-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Scott Bennett Update: He's Due to Be Released
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Bennett Update: He's Due to Be Released  (Read 41029 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2017, 11:27:12 PM »

www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/rapist-sentenced-to-five-years-in-sex-assault-at-tulsa/article_fb23ce1e-649c-5345-aa43-3266bcdaab25.html
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »

Disgusting
https://youtu.be/Ax0C6rlo-54

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:16:57 PM »

wow

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 01:07:09 PM »

Surprised there has not been more of a reaction to this on smiley, negative or positive.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 03:51:31 AM »

He's marked for life, whether he gets a modified sentence or not.

Much more to the point, and heartbreakingly so, is that his victim is marked for life.

Concurrent sentences----is that some kind of a sick joke?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 07:58:34 AM »

The Ole' second chance comes into play. Should we be asking ourselves this question?  Time stands still, second chance , is it a win?  The lady doesn't get a second chance.  Guess here lies the problem.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 05:44:11 PM »

Fourteen months for rape?! That's ridiculous.
I would almost put rape right up there with murder. The rapist is taking away the victim's life, in a sense. I don't care if he always seemed like a "good guy." He did a horrible thing.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 12:04:58 AM »

This is probably going to stir up some angry posts, but I'll say it anyway. Keep in mind that I haven't seen the security footage. Supposedly Scott was extremely drunk at the time of the rape. Hypothetically, can we forever condemn a man for his actions during what may have been a "blackout drunk"? Something that he would have absolutely no memory of, and something that he wouldn't have done in a million years, had he been "mentally conscious"(hypothetically speaking)? I don't deny that it was rape, and the girl in question is definitely scarred for life. But can we give up on him as a low down, evil rapist and preditor?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 12:45:01 AM »

This is probably going to stir up some angry posts, but I'll say it anyway. Keep in mind that I haven't seen the security footage. Supposedly Scott was extremely drunk at the time of the rape. Hypothetically, can we forever condemn a man for his actions during what may have been a "blackout drunk"? Something that he would have absolutely no memory of, and something that he wouldn't have done in a million years, had he been "mentally conscious"(hypothetically speaking)? I don't deny that it was rape, and the girl in question is definitely scarred for life. But can we give up on him as a low down, evil rapist and preditor?
100% Agreed. I think, after he finished the sentence he deserved, he should be forgiven socially. He can't really be blamed for what he's done after that, because that'll make it hard for him to live. That situation would possibly lead him to committing another crime or suicide or something harmful to the society.

I'm a believer of human rights. Thus, I believe that those who once infringed other's human rights should be given rights as equally as those who doesn't commit crime after he's done with punishment. It'd be another story for serial or cruel murderers, though.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:19:51 AM by Watamushi (Polly Poller) » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 05:32:52 AM »

Many people get "extremely drunk" yet they've got brains & self-control to not do it. Let's not talk some rubbish & make excuses. It's very easy to analyze this situation like that, sitting in safety in nice chairs. I think you 2 missed what Amy B. said - Scott didn't serve his sentence fully - whish is short anyway - & now he's free after "good behavior" (btw, I gathered the crime law system is much severe in the U.S., didn't know there's such thing as "good behavior" too). That's what she found very unfair. There's some truth to what Watamushi said though, about giving back the rights or they'd do sth. bad again but it doesn't apply to Scott's case (see the Amy bit).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 05:40:57 AM »

Your line of argument is that this could have happened to anyone... That any man who gets extremely drunk could be excused for committing rape, that any man (or woman) is capable of rape if extremely drunk. Is that really true? I've heard the argument that what alcohol really does is to reveal a person's basest personality. My mother was an alcoholic. When she was drunk, she was verbally abusive to me. She was a different person when sober. Did I think the abuse was the alcohol talking, or her talking? It was her. It was her issues coming out into the forefront. If someone committed murder while drunk, they still committed murder, didn't they?

I do believe in human rights, but what about the victim's right not to be violated? And why is it that armed robbers and drug dealers (and drug users, even) get years in prison, while a rapist can get out after 14 months?

I don't even know what the answer is. And I get that ideally, he needs to be rehabilitated and able to rejoin society. But I know that if Scott were re-hired to Brian's band, I would have a serious problem with it. You can't just do what he did, spend 14 months in prison, and be right back where you were. Maybe he shouldn't go on the road, with all the temptations out there. I just don't know. At the very least, he needs to go to counseling, if he hasn't already. A rapist (even a drunk one) has issues with control, to say the least.
KDS
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »

Your line of argument is that this could have happened to anyone... That any man who gets extremely drunk could be excused for committing rape, that any man (or woman) is capable of rape if extremely drunk. Is that really true? I've heard the argument that what alcohol really does is to reveal a person's basest personality. My mother was an alcoholic. When she was drunk, she was verbally abusive to me. She was a different person when sober. Did I think the abuse was the alcohol talking, or her talking? It was her. It was her issues coming out into the forefront. If someone committed murder while drunk, they still committed murder, didn't they?

I do believe in human rights, but what about the victim's right not to be violated? And why is it that armed robbers and drug dealers (and drug users, even) get years in prison, while a rapist can get out after 14 months?

I don't even know what the answer is. And I get that ideally, he needs to be rehabilitated and able to rejoin society. But I know that if Scott were re-hired to Brian's band, I would have a serious problem with it. You can't just do what he did, spend 14 months in prison, and be right back where you were. Maybe he shouldn't go on the road, with all the temptations out there. I just don't know. At the very least, he needs to go to counseling, if he hasn't already. A rapist (even a drunk one) has issues with control, to say the least.

Well said. 

I have to say that it would take a lot for me to defiantly say "I won't pay money to see Artist X because of......" whatever, but if (and I really don't believe it would ever happen), Scott were to be welcomed back into Brian's band, I'd probably not be buying any tickets to further shows. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 08:20:22 AM »

Yes, I said basically the same thing, just worded differently but Amy B. added some points.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 08:34:33 AM »

Yes, I said basically the same thing, just worded differently but Amy B. added some points.

Yeah, we're all in agreement. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 10:35:45 AM »

I don't care how drunk he was.  I've been blackout drunk (although I haven't had a drop of drink now in 3 years ) and have consumed a vast array of chemicals at various times in my life, and NOT ONCE would I have ever done something like this.

That's all I'm going to say.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 05:12:56 PM »

I'm not saying anything remotely close to any of what you said. The hypothetical question is, can you forever condemn a person for the rest of their life for something that they do in a "blackout"(i.e. in such a condition where they wake up and have no idea what just happened). I don't deny that there was a rape. I just think it's an interesting question. If somebody is in an unconscious state, and may possibly have no control of what they are doing, can we forever think of said person as an evil bastard?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »

I don't care how drunk he was.  I've been blackout drunk (although I haven't had a drop of drink now in 3 years ) and have consumed a vast array of chemicals at various times in my life, and NOT ONCE would I have ever done something like this.

That's all I'm going to say.
The whole point of being in a blackout is being in such a state that once you wake up, you have no idea what has happened. I think it's hard for somebody to say they would *never* do something in a black out. I'll give you an example. Ozzy Osbourne literally tried to murder his wife in a blackout. He grabbed her by the throat and wouldn't let go. He said woke up in jail. Yet, millions of people love him and almost look at him as a God who invented heavy metal.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »

100% Agreed. I think, after he finished the sentence he deserved, he should be forgiven socially. He can't really be blamed for what he's done after that, because that'll make it hard for him to live. That situation would possibly lead him to committing another crime or suicide or something harmful to the society.

I'm a believer of human rights. Thus, I believe that those who once infringed other's human rights should be given rights as equally as those who doesn't commit crime after he's done with punishment. It'd be another story for serial or cruel murderers, though.

Glad to see this. A while back I claimed that mental illness and alcoholism can lead to some fu**ed up sh*t. I said something along the lines of imagining the possibility that brian could even have done something like this and everyone flipped out. This is a better way of wording my point. It's horrible, but don't condemn the person for life.

Just to reiterate: i don't believe he ever had, I just point to him as a person with mental issues who could hypothetically be in a situation like this
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:18:01 PM by FatherOfTheMan Sr101 » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 02:39:55 PM »

Glad to see this. A while back I claimed that mental illness and alcoholism can lead to some fu**ed up sh*t. I said something along the lines of imagining the possibility that brian could even have done something like this and everyone flipped out. This is a better way of wording my point. It's horrible, but don't condemn the person for life.

Just to reiterate: i don't believe he ever had, I just point to him as a person with mental issues who could hypothetically be in a situation like this
I remember that incident well. I understood your point. Hell, Brian tried to give his Damn daughter heroin. It's not quite the same thing, but it's an example of somebody becoming a total polar opposite of themselves when in an altered state.

Sweetmountain
Smiley Smile Newbie

The artist formerly known as b00ts

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »

I remember that incident well. I understood your point. Hell, Brian tried to give his Damn daughter heroin. It's not quite the same thing, but it's an example of somebody becoming a total polar opposite of themselves when in an altered state.
I believe in rehabilitating prisoners rather than simply punishing them, but this line of reasoning is ridiculous and runs dangerously close to rationalizing/justifying rape. Bennett is not the victim here in any way, shape, or form, and what he did is absolutely disgusting beyond words, no matter how drunk or otherwise intoxicated he was. He is responsible for his actions, yet he’s being let off with a minimal sentence for destroying a young woman’s life.

To bring others like Brian into it and speculate about what they could have done in a similar situation is just insane and disgusting. Sort of like tacitly saying “we could all be rapists if we were high/drunk enough...” What is the point of these statements other than to justify S.B.’s rape of an unconscious woman?

- Bella
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 06:40:47 AM »

Somehow missed this. Not surprised he's getting released early. Rape is not treated seriously in this country.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 02:54:39 PM »

This apparently occurred a little over a month ago for anyone curious. Bennett apparently settled the civil lawsuit:

https://patch.com/oklahoma/tulsa/musician-who-raped-woman-tulsa-hotel-hallway-settles-suit

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 02:51:05 PM »

He raped a woman. Throughout history men have raped and abused women with pretty much impunity. It is time that men are educated about our responsibilities. It falls entirely on men to not rape, and not to shift blame on the victim or vague excuses such as "drunk" or "drugged" or "Im a moron and can't help it".

This disgusting piece of sh*t and everyone like him must learn this.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 05:21:13 PM »

Balls!!! Impunity?  He went to jail.  He's paid his debt.  He's settled with the victim.  "Impunity".  What fucking twaddle!!!  His reputation?  All but shot to smithereens.

Meanwhile walk on El Perfecto.  This kinda shyte could get you positioned to become the next 'Treasonous Trump' Supreme Court 'pick'.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2018, 03:52:22 PM »

Balls!!! Impunity?  He went to jail.  He's paid his debt.  He's settled with the victim.  "Impunity".  What fucking twaddle!!!  His reputation?  All but shot to smithereens.

Meanwhile walk on El Perfecto.  This kinda shyte could get you positioned to become the next 'Treasonous Trump' Supreme Court 'pick'.

He might have served his legal sentence but his social punishment should be for life, just as he marked his victim for life. He is a rapist and a piece of sh*t. If you disagree with this you have a total lack of empathy for his victim, pal.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: