gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:24:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Midnight's Another Day - Going Home - Southern California  (Read 6417 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:35:27 PM »

Surely nobody can disagree with me that this is the highest point of Brian's solo career.

Seriously, what a brilliant ending to an album that seems to be getting better with time.

He ROCKS OUT on "Goin home", we need that Rock n Roll album.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 04:48:08 PM »

Surely nobody can disagree with me that this is the highest point of Brian's solo career.

Seriously, what a brilliant ending to an album that seems to be getting better with time.

No argumemt here.  I think TLOS is easily Brian's best solo album.  And, wow, what a way to close.   
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:02:55 PM »

Sorry, Shady. (And don't call me Shirley. Ba-dum-dum. Thanks, folks, I'll be here all night.)

But honestly I don't consider that the high point. I think MAD-GH are absolutely fantastic, but I've never been such a SC fan as virtually everyone else. It's beautiful, but as I've always said (to little agreement), its lyrics are a little too sentimental for me ... not in a good way. Saccharine. Just my taste. Even saying that, though, it's a fantastic trio of songs. No question about that.

To me, the highlight of the solo career is BWPS. For whatever faults it has, whatever the final product wasn't, whoever had what role in its creation, I still see it as a near-miracle. And I'll never forget how excited I was to hear it, first in live boots, then leaked snippets of the studio work. Loved it and love it.

(Close second? Easy. Speed Turtle.  LOL)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:43:08 PM »

TLOS is by far my favorite Brian Wilson solo record. It's the best thing he's done since The BB Love You. I don't know how much of the songwriting is actually his, but in any case, it's a great late-era record.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:49:10 PM »

Ditto. TLoS is my favorite of Brian's solo stuff. The last 3 songs thrill me every time.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 07:03:40 PM »

Captain, sentimental, your from the State Ole' Mary threw her hat in the air and we found your going to make it after all.  Bring a tear to your eye. Oh Captain!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »

TLOS is by far my favorite Brian Wilson solo record. It's the best thing he's done since The BB Love You. I don't know how much of the songwriting is actually his, but in any case, it's a great late-era record.

I don't have the time to research (husband in hospital) where Ray Lawlor posted what was essentially written by Brian and what was written by Scott - song by song, but it was pretty clear.  Brian was in an amazing creative spurt, much of it while on the road with Jerry Weiss as his PA (with Ray Lawlor joining when available).  Jerry wrote sketch lyrics (pretty good from what I understand) to keep Brian inspired.  Brian called it his "rock 'n roll" album at the time.  He had a contract with RFH and the lyrics were adapted to "That Lucky Ol' Sun" theme - so revised lyrics by Scott.  Ray was at those sessions in Scott's home.  Scott wrote the intro and outro to "Midnight..." and may have some other contributions, but the music was Brian's.  I wish these crappy illusions would disappear.  For those who don't know, Jerry and Ray are Brian's closest friends.  They know.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:46:21 PM »

Debbie KL: best wishes to you and your husband.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 11:06:58 PM »

Debbie KL: best wishes to you and your husband.

Seconded.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:14 AM »

I love Midnight's Another Day, but Goin' Home has always felt kind of clunky to me. The part about "at 22 I shut out the light, etc" sounds like a case of the music being made to fit lyrics that were already written. It's an awkward section in a song that kind of wants to rock, but just sounds stiff.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 12:21:20 AM »

Surely nobody can disagree with me that this is the highest point of Brian's solo career

Dangerous words. Disagree I must.

I cannot listen to anything he did with Joe Thomas, due to certain production decisions I won't mention.

Can I pick BWPS?

Failing that,  BW88, followed by the Christmas album, love that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:30:08 AM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
KDS
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 03:53:57 AM »

Surely nobody can disagree with me that this is the highest point of Brian's solo career

I cannot listen to anything he did with Joe Thomas, due to certain production decisions I won't mention.

Can I pick BWPS?

Failing that,  BW88, followed by the Christmas album, love that.

TLOS wasnt a Joe Thomas collaboration.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 04:04:54 AM »

I think his best solo albums are Pier Pressure and Imagination, followed closely by TLOS. All 3 are great, IMHO.....love the last three tunes you mentIoned on TLOS.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 05:06:56 AM »

Funny, I'd recently dug TLOS out and have been listening to it a lot lately. I think the whole thing is a modern BW masterpiece! Hard to believe the 10th anniversary of its debut as a performance piece is coming up!
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 06:02:19 AM »

Coincidentally, I have been re-listening to Southern California a lot recently.  It was always my favorite song on TLOS, and I think it is one of his best.

Midnight's Another Day is also wonderful - Brian's vocals are unique on this one.  I don't know of another song where he sings this way. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 06:14:42 AM »

I think the whole thing is a modern BW masterpiece! Hard to believe the 10th anniversary of its debut as a performance piece is coming up!

I agree with the part I've bolded above: while I quibbled with Shady's original post and can find fault if I set my mind to it, I absolutely do think it's his best solo album of new material. I love its scope, and the climax song of--and moment within--MAD is so powerful.

That it has been nearly 10 years is amazing. I hadn't realized that. I feel like I'm getting old.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 07:39:24 AM »

TLOS is Brian's ABBEY ROAD.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 08:27:04 AM »

Can I pick BWPS?

Failing that,  BW88, followed by the Christmas album, love that.

I didn't say it was. I just prefer BW88 and the Christmas album. TLOS comes third though.

Hang on........

OK I feel really stupid now. Those songs are on TLOS.   Embarrassed

I got them confused with the ones on TWGMTR. Shows how often I listen to the later stuff.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:31:50 AM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
KDS
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »

Can I pick BWPS?

I didn't say it was. I just prefer BW88 and the Christmas album. TLOS comes third though.

Hang on........

I got them confused with the ones on TWGMTR. Shows how often I listen to the later stuff.

It's cool, but yeah, TWGMTR went for a similar closing trilogy.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »

[/quo

Can I pick BWPS?

Hang on........

It's cool, but yeah, TWGMTR went for a similar closing tril

Can I pick BWPS?

Hang on........

Can I pick BWPS?

Hang on........

TLOS is a great album.  The spoken numbers are a weak spot, interrupts the flow.  Maybe if Van Dyke had read them they would be better. To me, however, those final 3 numbers are just quite not hitting the mark.  They have always seemed a bit contrived, as noted up thread by others.  To me, the final 4 songs of TWGMTR are more "organic", less obvious, and in that way and far superior.

Edit--so sorry for the multiple quotes, don't know what happened there...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:14:11 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 09:35:59 AM »

Edit--so sorry for the multiple quotes, don't know what happened there...

You just wanted my silly mistake printed multiple times   LOL
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 11:01:06 AM »

Hadn't listened to TLOS for ages, cheers for reminding me with this post  Grin
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »

I like MAD alright, but it does sound like an Elton John tune.  Also a little too dark to be considered "enjoyable".  Going Home I just consider a pretty duff track, the background vocals sound totally cheesy, I would like to have turned out the light on THEM.  I like Southern California quite a bit, though it does sound a bit demo-ish.  Thought that about much of the album in fact, along with GIOMH.  The recitations by Bri were mostly painful, though I did enjoy some of the backing music to them. 

Overall I have ok thoughts about the album, as I got it at an FYI for $3.99 and it was worth every penny!
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »

I don't have the time to research (husband in hospital) where Ray Lawlor posted what was essentially written by Brian and what was written by Scott - song by song, but it was pretty clear.  Brian was in an amazing creative spurt, much of it while on the road with Jerry Weiss as his PA (with Ray Lawlor joining when available).  Jerry wrote sketch lyrics (pretty good from what I understand) to keep Brian inspired.  Brian called it his "rock 'n roll" album at the time.  He had a contract with RFH and the lyrics were adapted to "That Lucky Ol' Sun" theme - so revised lyrics by Scott.  Ray was at those sessions in Scott's home.  Scott wrote the intro and outro to "Midnight..." and may have some other contributions, but the music was Brian's.  I wish these crappy illusions would disappear.  For those who don't know, Jerry and Ray are Brian's closest friends.  They know.

Here's Ray Lawlor's post:

Pure nonsense. In 2006/2007 , I spent a good portion of my time , and American Airlines points , commuting between JFK and LAX. Literally every morning, at 0800 EST, my phone would ring.  At the other end of the line, was Brian Wilson, already up , working on songs, asking for input ; what I thought.  The next question was invariably " when can you come out ? " It was the summer of the Scott Bennett sessions. I would fly out and immediately go to the house......every week. The ritual was simple: get to the house, Brian always waiting in the driveway, go up to the music room where he would play the new song on his synthesizer, never on the grand piano. Then , go to the deli and eat , then go to the park and walk.  Then drive to Scott's place early so we could listen to "Pet Sounds" ....then stop at the same 7-11 and get a 6 pack of Corona Light for the session. Brian would lay down several piano tracks , Scott would add bass, drums and guitar; Brian would then lay down the lead vocal. The songs were written , lyrics and music , by Brian. Later on they were shortened ( most were over four minutes long) and lyrics were rewritten by Scott , tailoring it for "That Lucky Old Sun". The songs were: "Walking Down the Path of Life" , about 4:30 long, "Morning Beat", "Angel's in Love", "Good Kind of Love", about a minute longer than the released version, "Live Let Live" ,  about 45 seconds longer than the released version, "Mexican Girl" , "oh , Mi Amour", "Message Man" , "Wonderin What You're Up to Now" , which ultimately became "California Role", "Oxygen to the Brain", "Going Home" , about 4:30 minutes long, 'Isn't That Just Like Me and You", "Night Came Gently ", "Isn't That Just Like Me and You", "Forever She'll be My Surfer Girl", "I Wanna Be With You", "Do You Have a Story to Tell"..."Midnight's Another Day " was co written with Scott; "What Love Can Do " was co-written with Burt Bacharach . I have every generation of each one of these songs on CD here at home ; from Brian's piano demo's, to the Scott Bennett engineered sessions, to what came out. Any theory that Brian does not write his own stuff anymore is just pure unadulterated nonsense.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:41:15 PM by felipe » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 12:59:05 AM »

Man I wish I could hear the demos with the original lyrics!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx