gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:53:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COPYRIGHT IS GETTING OUT THE LINE  (Read 6460 times)
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »

The Copyright deleted Ultimate Beach Boys Video Collection. A LOT OF FOOTAGE IS LOST FROM NOW Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry. This also deleted a great part of Rocker proshot page, they also deleted the San Francisco 1982 clip.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »

Giant loss. Ultimate Beach Boys Video Collection was amazing.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:38:15 AM »

But don't blame "copyright" as if it's some faceless entity. Stuff gets removed from YouTube because a rights holder tells YouTube to remove it. So that would be BRI, or Capitol, or a music publisher, or some entity that owns the rights to something.

To be fair, a YouTube channel that has a bunch of stuff from all sorts of eras and countries and TV stations may have been the recipient of multiple copyright claims over the years from a bunch of different companies.

I don't know if BRI had anything to do with this specific case, but BRI definitely has someone on staff regularly scouring the internet who has stuff from YouTube and eBay, etc. pulled. Unfortunately, sometimes legit things (and/or things BRI has no claim on) get removed, and most of these places will remove something when asked without question.

But yeah, it sucks that somebody really felt that old random VHS TV clips from the 70s and 80s were hurting anybody, as if there's a "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous - The Complete Series" DVD set due out any moment now with Mike Love's segment.

Hopefully whomever ran that YouTube channel kept copies of everything they had encoded, and maybe it'll pop back up, as I'm guessing it was just random clips here and there that triggered copyright claims.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:41:03 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »

And let it also be known that copyright is not a bad thing. It's very, very important. The issue is that there's a difference between someone burning or pressing DVDs and selling countless copies, versus a streaming five minute video clip of Brian picking his nose in 1987 that never gets past 725 views on YouTube.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:58:56 AM »

The Copyright deleted Ultimate Beach Boys Video Collection. A LOT OF FOOTAGE IS LOST FROM NOW Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry. This also deleted a great part of Rocker proshot page, they also deleted the San Francisco 1982 clip.

Too bad!  Sad
But the links were mostly a bonus. The dates are the important things for that list. Guess I have to edit it, don't know when I'll have the time and muse

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »

That's terrible news  Angry Totally sucks  Sad  I'm really gonna miss that San Francisco 1982 piece.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:11:14 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »

Are you guys talking about the Candlestick Park clips, with Carl and Al wearing hats? The San Diego 1983 video is gone.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »

Could this be due to an upcoming, definitive Beach Boys visual anthology DVD Huh??

Probably not
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

I literally cried reading that.  Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Can the channel owner upload the videos somehwere else? even google drive or something??? I watched that channel everyday !!
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »

This is why there needs to be an anthology set ala The Beatles, so stuff like this doesn't happen.  Truly a tragedy to Beach Boys fans.   Sad
KDS
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 08:48:03 AM »

This is why there needs to be an anthology set ala The Beatles, so stuff like this doesn't happen.  Truly a tragedy to Beach Boys fans.   Sad

We can hope, but this is the same band that couldn't be bothered to release even a decent live release of a 2012 concert. 
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 08:55:08 AM »

I WANT THE ANTHOLOGY
KDS
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »

I WANT THE ANTHOLOGY

There's a decent two volume b@@tleg called Long Promised Road that covers 1962-71..........at least I've heard.   Cool
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »

I'd pay a fortune for a whole huge package filled with videos, live performances, interviews, and of course, songs.  Maybe also have a giant picture booklet with images throughout the band's career, everything would be presented in chronological order in accordance to year.  Perhaps some writings by the members about their perspective on life, love, and music.  Instead of the little snippets we fans get each year due to copyright laws expiring, something this big could get a lot of people interested...

The Beatles, with their gigantic posture did it, why can't America's band, loved and cherished by many, pull themselves together and do something like this?
KDS
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 12:44:31 PM »

I'd pay a fortune for a whole huge package filled with videos, live performances, interviews, and of course, songs.  Maybe also have a giant picture booklet with images throughout the band's career, everything would be presented in chronological order in accordance to year.  Perhaps some writings by the members about their perspective on life, love, and music.  Instead of the little snippets we fans get each year due to copyright laws expiring, something this big could get a lot of people interested...

The Beatles, with their gigantic posture did it, why can't America's band, loved and cherished by many, pull themselves together and do something like this?

I would rather see this than more reissues of Pet Sounds. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 01:44:27 PM »

I would rather see this than more reissues of Pet Sounds. 

+1
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »

The video I uploaded from the 2015 bw show I went to is gone,  which sucks

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Patricia Ferrelli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 10:51:41 PM »

So, I am the owner of the Ultimate Beach Boys Video Collection channel.  And, yes, I got shut down due to receiving 3 copyright strikes within 6 months.  I have gotten copyright strikes in the past but it would be one and then the 6 months would go by and I would be in the clear.  But I got slammed recently.  I was just as disappointed as you were. 

I had items taken down from the Merv Griffin people, the Dick Clark people, The Nashville Network and another company called Reelin' In The Years.  BRI only took down one video and it was the 25th Anniversary Special.  What went untouched were t.v. shows that are now defunct ("Public Lives Private People", "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous") and the concert reviews and news items from local t.v. 

Yes, I still have all of these clips and at some point I will probably load them up again under a new channel or a new website and will keep away from the ones that might get pulled down again.  But these days, time is a precious commodity on my end!  But I will do it soon.  My intention for the channel was to share what I had.  (Some of my clips made it into the videos that Noven Jaisi put in the videos that appeared during Mike's tour last year as well as promo videos for his book.)  Wasn't looking to make any money at all - just wanted to share with my fellow fans.

I'm glad that you all enjoyed it so much and when I do relaunch it, I'll be sure to announce it here!

Patricia
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 11:21:35 PM »

So, I am the owner of the Ultimate Beach Boys Video Collection channel.  And, yes, I got shut down due to receiving 3 copyright strikes within 6 months.  I have gotten copyright strikes in the past but it would be one and then the 6 months would go by and I would be in the clear.  But I got slammed recently.  I was just as disappointed as you were. 

I had items taken down from the Merv Griffin people, the Dick Clark people, The Nashville Network and another company called Reelin' In The Years.  BRI only took down one video and it was the 25th Anniversary Special.  What went untouched were t.v. shows that are now defunct ("Public Lives Private People", "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous") and the concert reviews and news items from local t.v. 

Yes, I still have all of these clips and at some point I will probably load them up again under a new channel or a new website and will keep away from the ones that might get pulled down again.  But these days, time is a precious commodity on my end!  But I will do it soon.  My intention for the channel was to share what I had.  (Some of my clips made it into the videos that Noven Jaisi put in the videos that appeared during Mike's tour last year as well as promo videos for his book.)  Wasn't looking to make any money at all - just wanted to share with my fellow fans.

I'm glad that you all enjoyed it so much and when I do relaunch it, I'll be sure to announce it here!

Patricia
There are other places besides youtube to share these goodies. I have just started using vidme. Might be worth trying. Also might be worth just posting them as private or unlisted, and just sharing them at a place like HERE, and letting the real fans know about them as you post them. A friend is doing this with Paul Revere and the Raiders videos, and it is working for the most part.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »

Patricia
3D 3D 3D
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »

Could this be due to an upcoming, definitive Beach Boys visual anthology DVD Huh??

Probably not

Nah. Removals and other takedown notices (as I mentioned, this happens on eBay as well) have been happening for years now. I don't think they portend some grand official video release. And really, even if BRI sanctioned some epic longform video release focusing on the BBs, it wouldn't include most of the random TV shows and other items on YouTube that would cost too much to license anyway.

It also appears based on a recent post that my hunch was correct that it was the bad luck of a confluence of several individual copyright holders complaining in quick succession that led to that channel being pulled down.

Some copyright holders are notoriously strict and pull down stuff *very quickly*, while other stuff stays up on YouTube for years and years with no problems.

It's ridiculous, as if a bunch of revenue is being lost because there's just millions of people waiting to buy an officially released copy of the BBs miming to "Beach Boys Medley" on the "Merv Griffin Show." (And even if tons of people *would* buy that, it never gets officially released anyway).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »

BRI could release something like this, up to a point. They could release live concert videos that they own.

We'll never see a huge compilation of TV shows, as each individual show has to be negotiated and licensed. Many if not most charge a ton to license footage. Dick Clark Productions is notoriously expensive for instance.

The Beatles were only able to do this to some degree for the "Beatles Anthology" because there was a much larger interest in the documentary; plus, they made a ton of money selling the broadcast rights to various networks around the world. And even then, some Beatles footage was out of reach because the owners asked for too much money or refused to license the footage.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »

The video I uploaded from the 2015 bw show I went to is gone,  which sucks

This also reminds me that not only can the owners of footage complain to YouTube, but if it's music footage, the publishers and owners of the copyrights to the *songs* themselves can also have stuff pulled.

The removal of audience-shot concert videos is ridiculous though, especially considering most if not all of the individual BBs post links to audience-shot concert videos on Facebook, etc.

BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 05:35:07 AM »

Hey Jude is Right
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 06:08:35 AM »

WAIT A MOMENT!!!!

The Footage that Mike Love and Bruce Johnston band screens is mostly downloaded from youtube. The print of California Dreamin video it's the Ultimate Beach Boys Collection one.

WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW, HEY JUDE?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx