gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:42:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds Live in November  (Read 4184 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2006, 06:10:28 PM »

http://www.uclalive.org/event.asp?Event_ID=384

taken from the blueboard

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 04:25:16 AM »

Since it's because of the 40th anniversary of a Beach Boys album, he really should ask Mike, Bruce and Al to participate, since they seem to be on speaking terms.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 09:25:52 AM »

Especially since Al seems to be under the impression that it's going to happen with them, anyway.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 09:35:49 AM »

they should definitely do a month long tour in all the major cities with the rest of the boys...I would drive up to as far as Orlando, perhaps even Jacksonville to see this show.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 10:08:49 AM »

well you can listen to BW presents Pet Sounds Live  Grin, that will sound the same to me. I rather have the boys reunite for 1 night to play it. He could use them as singers only and let his band play the instruments
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 10:19:51 AM »

just to see them 'one last time' (even though I havent seen them once!) would be cool...especially an album they never thought they would be playing out live after Brian completed it...if only Dennis & Carl were here :/

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 10:27:24 AM »

Yeah, but if they're going to get back together to do "Pet Sounds", they may as well do "SMiLE", too.  Maybe if Mike saw how much a live audience dug "SMiLE" he'd finally change his mind about the project!    Wink

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 12:28:36 PM »

Who cares? They blew it. Even if they do get back together, they're too old and too dead (Dennis and Carl) for it to be great. They should of done Pet Sounds live after they were re-discovered in the mid 1970's.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 03:13:15 PM »

Who cares? They blew it. Even if they do get back together, they're too old and too dead (Dennis and Carl) for it to be great. They should of done Pet Sounds live after they were re-discovered in the mid 1970's.

There were some times where they thought about that, though I don't know about the 70s. In the 90s Bruce said something in that direction, it can also be heard on the "Hotel tapes", and they were supposed to tour the album as promotion for the box set, but carl said the arrangements were too heavy and that Brian couldn't sing the same leads anymore, so he wouldn't want him to be embarassed.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 03:49:34 PM »

Sadly, the rest of the BB couldn't pull it off as well as Brian now. Well, Al could (his voice is near ageless), but Mike & Bruce...uh-uh. And it would HAVE to be Brian's band, cause the M&B band is beyond pitiful.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 03:53:19 PM »

cause the M&B band is beyond pitiful.

They really suck. And I don't know if this is because Mike did the hiring, but his band seem like a bunch of jock a-holes. Real pricks. Just like their leader.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 04:13:40 PM »

I have mixed feelings about this. It's good news that Brian obviously isn't retiring from the road yet. Performing live will hopefully keep him sharp. And hearing Pet Sounds live in its entirety is always a good show. But I would rather Brian be previewing an album of NEW MATERIAL! Any news on the rock and roll album or the Burt Bacharach project?

And call me the eternal optimist - or a fool. But I would rather see The Beach Boys reunited and performing Pet Sounds, than Brian Wilson solo. They could take the tour right through December and perform holiday tunes from The Beach Boys' and Brian's Christmas albums. I'll bet they could come up with a cool Christmas set including Little Saint Nick, Child Of Winter, Winter Symphony, On Christmas Day, and maybe even try We Three Kings.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 05:15:35 AM »

I have mixed feelings about this. It's good news that Brian obviously isn't retiring from the road yet. Performing live will hopefully keep him sharp. And hearing Pet Sounds live in its entirety is always a good show. But I would rather Brian be previewing an album of NEW MATERIAL! Any news on the rock and roll album

Well since it's a celebration of "Pet Sounds" and it's 40th anniversary it wouldn't make sense if Brian only played a couple of PS-tracks.
News on the Rock'n'Roll-album? I guess the same reports as the last ten years....
 Wink

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 06:33:33 PM »

Let's face it after 1974 or so they could never vocally have matched the original Pet Sounds. Still it would be a hell of a lot cooler if The Beach Boys were with Brian. Of course it would only work if Brian was in charge of who sings and plays what.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 12:32:12 PM »

I love how no one ever gives up hope for Brian. Until the day he dies he still might turn things around and make just one more great record. 

LOL

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 02:41:22 PM »

It's a pointless gig, anyways.  I don't mean to be cruel, I've seen Brian many times, including going to LA to see him, but not this time.  I don't get his management in several instances, including this one.  It's the third gig he's had this year that seems strictly for visibility, nothing more. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 04:56:02 PM »

I think you're losing the point if you think a chance to see a legend is 'pointless'.  Maybe it's pointless for you to go since you've been thrice, but I'm sure there's plenty of people that would love to see Brian this fall.  I'm one of them, if he'd come near here.  you 'don't get his management', why, because they failed to make a show that you haven't seen before?  I've never seen him do Pet Sounds live and neither has most of the rest of the world.  Just because this particular show doesn't cater to a die hard fan like yourself doesn't mean that it's 'pointless', it's just pointless to you. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:57:31 PM by Ron » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 05:58:10 PM »

It's interesting that a concert that starrs "Pet Sounds" in it's entirety by Brian Wilson is called "pointless". I mean 10 years ago we never even dreamed that this might happen. But to each their own.

- Jack Rieley
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 10:02:57 PM »

I think Forget Marie is saying that Brian is treading water.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 10:16:10 PM »

He's done "Pet Sounds" in LA.  That's what makes it pointless.  He won't be going to your town.  Why do just one one-off gig (along with two one-off oldies gigs earlier in the year)?   For a market that's seen it before, when there are entire regions of the country he's never played at all (he's played in LA over a dozen times, including PS at the Hollywood Bowl, with symphony back-up)?  And it is on DVD.   Brian's value is scarcity, the fact that he never toured for years.  You'd think they'd want to maintain his mystique by not having him play at all until and unless he has a new concept to offer (I'd take classic BB songs he's never played, never mind a new CD).  It probably would be better for his band, too, to have a real tour than just trying to keep their calendars clear, if that's even possible.  As it is, you might not get the best band line-up at any given time due to that fact. 

I think you're losing the point if you think a chance to see a legend is 'pointless'.  Maybe it's pointless for you to go since you've been thrice, but I'm sure there's plenty of people that would love to see Brian this fall.  I'm one of them, if he'd come near here.  you 'don't get his management', why, because they failed to make a show that you haven't seen before?  I've never seen him do Pet Sounds live and neither has most of the rest of the world.  Just because this particular show doesn't cater to a die hard fan like yourself doesn't mean that it's 'pointless', it's just pointless to you. 
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 12:20:16 AM »

Brian's value is scarcity, the fact that he never toured for years.

To you maybe. You describe him as if he's a precious metal or something. He's an artist that has the right to capitalise on his output. Maybe he's building up his retirement - who knows - but if people want to pay to see PS Live then what's the problem? Do you think Brian's being exploited? I think he wants to earn as much money as possible from one of the greatest achievements in popular art. Why begrudge him that?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 12:35:59 AM »

cause the M&B band is beyond pitiful.

They really suck. And I don't know if this is because Mike did the hiring, but his band seem like a bunch of jock a-holes. Real pricks. Just like their leader.

Actually, I've met most of them and most of them seem to be really nice guys.  I think that Bobby Figueroa would be a better choice for drummer, but these guys are definitely not hacks.  They are all more than competent.

Good vibes,
Eric
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx