gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:12:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Van Dyke Parks contribute to the arrangements on Smile?  (Read 3915 times)
TheWonderfulHarpsichord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2017, 06:36:42 PM »

I noticed that he plays on a bunch of songs and was wondering if it was possible that he contributed to the arrangements
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 07:02:36 PM »

I think the general consensus has been that he didn't, although he certainly may have tossed in ideas, as did many of the players on Brian's sessions. Important to remember that he was very much the junior partner in the venture, and no one who was actually present has ever suggested he did so.

That being said, the connections between Smile and Song Cycle are certainly difficult to shake ...
theradiantradicchio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:49:13 AM »

I'm pretty sure he did but never got credit for it. You can hear the same Smile pattern on his Song Cycle album.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 04:08:09 AM »

We all hear different things I suppose, but I don't hear any of the concise instrumental arrangements that you'd hear on Smile mirrored on Song Cycle. Very little in the way of vocal arrangements also. The use of lots of sections are the same, but on Smile these still tend to mirror traditional song structures, on Song Cycle one section flows into the next with little in the way of repeat. There is some similarities in instrument choice, and obviously the American theme. Other than that they are two very different beasts, to these ears anyway.

Yes, we all hear things differently, (I'm told there are people who still don't hear pitch correction on any of the Joe Thomas albums LOL)

Could anyone chime in with these connections which are difficult to shake?  I'm genuinely interested.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 12:07:58 PM »

I would imagine that he did.....why not?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »

The one guy who used to come on here until he was banned , who shall remain nameless, all i can say is  that he had a beard, was insistent that Van Dyke was involved with more of the instrumentation of smile than we realize. Take that with a grain of salt, but I recall him bringing it up..
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 04:30:23 PM »

It really wouldnt surprise me if VDPs had a bigger role in the instrumentation that we think. I know there has been debate over who suggested the cello staccato or whatnot for Good Vibrations, but apparently it was Van Dyke...and that is a major draw of the song.

Tony Asher recalls during this period (Pet Sounds) that Brian was really receptive to good ideas (and would use them). I mean, I think there is a false outlook on Brian being the sole creator of all of his work. But from the get-go he was directly influenced by other people and was always open to using ideas thought up by people other than himself.

Van Dyke had already done some pretty cool work (Come To The Sunshine, Do What You Wanta), and I’m sure his musical input and ideas were considered and used on this project.

Edit: I too would like to hear specific instances of Song Cycle and Smile correlations.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:31:30 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »

When I said connections, I was speaking only in the most general sense -- modular song construction, wrecking crew guys on the tracks, general baroque-ness. Not sure about anything else.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 05:30:37 PM »

When I said connections, I was speaking only in the most general sense -- modular song construction, wrecking crew guys on the tracks, general baroque-ness. Not sure about anything else.

Thanks Wirestone, definitely see what you mean.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

I'm not sure if it is or not but 'Prelude To Fade' sounds rather Van Dykey. Hey why not.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »

I would imagine that he did.....why not?

Because he  has said on multiple occasions that he strictly wrote lyrics to Brian's melodies, syllable for syllable, not the music.  That said, is he just being modest and trying to give Brian his due for the music?  He hasn't been shy about claiming credit for the cellos in Good Vibrations, so if he contributed to the music of Smile, why not take ownership of it?
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »

Van Dyke doesn't strike me as being especially modest. Not that he's arrogant, but he will take credit where it's due and point out where it's due. (Some of his tweets are about the work he did on various projects, and he's always maintained the role he played in the GV arrangement.) On the other hand, how could he not have had some input into Smile when he was in the studio for part of it?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »

Van Dyke doesn't strike me as being especially modest. Not that he's arrogant, but he will take credit where it's due and point out where it's due. (Some of his tweets are about the work he did on various projects, and he's always maintained the role he played in the GV arrangement.) On the other hand, how could he not have had some input into Smile when he was in the studio for part of it?

Isn't it also possible that VDP and Brian were so stoned at times, that they might not recall exactly if someone contributed a suggestion here or there? Especially 50 years later!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 04:11:48 PM »

Isn't it also possible that VDP and Brian were so stoned at times, that they might not recall exactly if someone contributed a suggestion here or there? Especially 50 years later!

I'd say so!
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »

I have read once, from either BW or VDP, that VDP would occasionally suggest ideas like playing the song in a different key.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 10:33:14 PM »

Yet most of them are still in C# or related key.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx