gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:18:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Turn it up, it's The Beach Boys..."  (Read 7302 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 07:14:46 AM »

I never understood the attraction to Weezer's music.  When I used to frequent a friendly neighborhood bar on Saturday nights, once it got to be around midnight, somebody would always play their song "Say It's Not So" on the jukebox, and almost the entire bar (mostly people my age) would belt out the chorus. 

On the plus side, many guys that I went to high school with who were into Weezer were kind of in that "too cool for school" crowd, who would likely dismiss The Beach Boys.  Maybe this tribute will convince them to give the Boys another listen.

"Say It Ain't So" is pretty fuckin' overplayed. It's the one weak link of their early years. Try the Pinkerton album and the abandoned Songs From the Black Hole project on for size instead.

I'll take your word for it.  Their sound just isn't my cup of tea. 
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 08:10:43 AM »

I still don't understand why so many people feel that it's important that more people get turned on to the Beach Boys.  The whole "if it gets people listening to the Beach Boys, then it's a good thing"...I don't really understand.  The Beach Boys are one of the most famous bands ever.  Brian is almost universally regarded as a genius.  Yes, 95% of people only know their surf songs...but who cares?  It's not my problem if people don't know how good Holland or Love You is.  In fact, it makes being a fan better.  When Paul McCartney came to my city the tickets sold out in about a nanosecond, even the ones that were literally thousands of dollars.  I only got tickets because they released a block of (really bad) seats the day before the show and I got lucky.  When Brian came to my city I sat in the front row for about 70 bucks a ticket. 

I wholeheartedly agree that Brian and co deserve the utmost in recognition and respect, but I think they already have it.   

You may not understand why, but your post makes it perfectly clear. It's your thing that makes you feel special and you don't want anyone else to share it.

Sorry, but you're a........hipster!

WHOA WHOA......I've seen people called some nasty things on this board, but this is way over the line. 

LOL

I'm a terrible bastard, what can I say.......
KDS
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »

I still don't understand why so many people feel that it's important that more people get turned on to the Beach Boys.  The whole "if it gets people listening to the Beach Boys, then it's a good thing"...I don't really understand.  The Beach Boys are one of the most famous bands ever.  Brian is almost universally regarded as a genius.  Yes, 95% of people only know their surf songs...but who cares?  It's not my problem if people don't know how good Holland or Love You is.  In fact, it makes being a fan better.  When Paul McCartney came to my city the tickets sold out in about a nanosecond, even the ones that were literally thousands of dollars.  I only got tickets because they released a block of (really bad) seats the day before the show and I got lucky.  When Brian came to my city I sat in the front row for about 70 bucks a ticket. 

I wholeheartedly agree that Brian and co deserve the utmost in recognition and respect, but I think they already have it.   

You may not understand why, but your post makes it perfectly clear. It's your thing that makes you feel special and you don't want anyone else to share it.

WHOA WHOA......I've seen people called some nasty things on this board, but this is way over the line. 

LOL

There are a few things you can say to somebody that you just can't take back.   Dirty pool, sir. 

Beer
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 08:17:41 AM »

LOL

There are a few things you can say to somebody that you just can't take back.   Dirty pool, sir. 

Beer

Had to look up dirty pool, but yes, that's a fair assessment.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 09:04:05 AM »

From Wikipedia re: the new album:

Pacific Daydream (2017–present)

Soon after the release of the White Album, Cuomo discussed plans for Weezer's next album, provisionally titled the Black Album: "It’s going to maybe be like Beach Boys gone bad [...] I’m thinking of swearing, which is something I’ve never done in songs.” Cuomo also said the album would tackle “more mature topics” and be “less summer day and more winter night”. He suggested the band could return to the recording studio as soon as October 2016.[73] Weezer delayed recording after Cuomo felt his new material was more "like reveries from a beach at the end of the world [... as if] the Beach Boys and the Clash fell in love by the ocean and had one hell of an amazing baby".[74]
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »

Upon first listen, I thought the song-- particularly the chorus and most of the lyrics-- was idiotic. However, after listening over the weekend I've really warmed up to the song. Not sure why they threw in the Murry quotes, and a majority of the lyrics make little sense, but I kinda like it. Can you imagine if they'd have tapped Brian to provide a subtle harmony?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx