gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:18:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: a CONVERSATION with DAVID BEARD: Jan & Dean's FIiet of Soul  (Read 2399 times)
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »

David Beard talks with Phil Miglioratti of Pray For Surf about the September 2017 release of the rejected Filet of Soul album by the Laurel & Hardy duo of Pop Music

The conversation begins with a revealing look at Endless Summer Quarterly before transitioning into David's affection for Jan & Dean and concludes with his perspective of Jan & Dean's rejected version of the 1965 release Filet of Soul:
"It was strange and I liked it! ... a subversive lampooning ... gunfire, cows, a toilet flushing ... Wrecking Crew ... skits ... Jan & Dean lampooning Jan & Dean ... similar to the Beach Boys' Party! album ..."

The story behind the story.

Hear Here>>> https://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2017/08/podcast-with-david-beard-on-release-of.html

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:43:45 PM »

Hi Phil, the Dropbox link to the recording doesn’t work for me. Looking forward to listening.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »

APOLOGIES to those who have been unsuccessful at listening to the podcast - working on an upload to another site - back asap,

Phil

PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »

FINALLY - Here is a better link to my conversation with David Beard on Filet of Soul

https://ia601507.us.archive.org/34/items/DavidBeardAug102017/David%20Beard%20Aug%2010%202017.mp3

APOLOGIES to those who have been unsuccessful at listening to the podcast - working on an upload to another site - back asap,

Phil

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 05:45:57 AM »

I have the 1971 Anthology Album and side 4 sounds a lot like what is described in the article from what I remember. It was humorous, but pretty odd compared with the other three sides of that album. Is that what the Filet Of Soul recording was supposed to sound like? Although it is compared to Party! I found it disjointed and forced, unlike Party! which flowed smoothly.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 09:07:50 PM »

I love what I heard on Anthology, and I can't wait to hear the record the way it was meant to be heard. I'm also excited to hear a different version of Jan's cover of Norwegian Wood, since he recorded dozens of different versions, and the one released in '66 is supposedly not as good as the one that will be released with this version of Filet Of Soul. I'm a huge Jan & Dean fan, so I can't wait. I believe this record was also not too far out with the psychedelia that was going on '66. I can say, from what  I've heard on Anthology, this record is great while  Smokin Smokin Smokin
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 10:07:40 AM »

Great chat, Phil! Thanks for getting this out there.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx