gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:07:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Full Pro-Shot 1983 White House Gig on YouTube  (Read 8504 times)
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »

Brian was ADAMANT that they would play Rock N Roll Music!!!!

Yes, and the best part is Carl's "You got it, buddy!" at 25:01  Smiley

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 09:50:27 AM »

Seeing all six guys on stage, with Dennis holding it together and Brian in good (physical) shape, it's so strange to see that they're teetering on the edge of things looking up, and also teetering on the edge of things crashing and burning. I guess we got a little bit of both as the decade progressed.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 10:45:11 AM »

Seeing all six guys on stage, with Dennis holding it together and Brian in good (physical) shape, it's so strange to see that they're teetering on the edge of things looking up, and also teetering on the edge of things crashing and burning. I guess we got a little bit of both as the decade progressed.

It's just kinda surreal in a way. Seeing Dennis there, Brian looking in better shape. Only two years later we have "Getcha Back." Only five years later we have the Brian Wilson album and "Love and Mercy" and "Kokomo." It just gets the mind going: where would Dennis fit into all that? I have to admit I can't imagine Dennis as part of the group that they became after he passed away. And I'm not one for much of the "what if?" stuff, but one has to wonder how Denny would fit in The Beach Boys world through the '80s and beyond. I think that honestly might be a decent idea for a thread topic.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »

It's just kinda surreal in a way. Seeing Dennis there, Brian looking in better shape. Only two years later we have "Getcha Back." Only five years later we have the Brian Wilson album and "Love and Mercy" and "Kokomo." It just gets the mind going: where would Dennis fit into all that? I have to admit I can't imagine Dennis as part of the group that they became after he passed away. And I'm not one for much of the "what if?" stuff, but one has to wonder how Denny would fit in The Beach Boys world through the '80s and beyond. I think that honestly might be a decent idea for a thread topic.

It has often been alluded to that there was some amount of discussion that took place in 1983 about Landy treating Dennis. There are a whole ball of what-ifs relating to Dennis concerning that, but I was just thinking: If Dennis would have at least stuck it out under Landy's care for some amount of time, would Landy's attention have been diverted away from Brian in 1984 as Brian improved?

Was there any chance that Brian would have been able to branch off in 1984 or 85 without Landy there with him 24/7? We've often discussed over the years about how the appropriate time for Landy to have stepped down would have been around 1984 or so.

I've never been big on what-if scenarios, but that's a compelling one. Who knows, it's just as likely Landy just would have left a strong-arm operative there to stay with Brian.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »

Sadly, with the way Dennis was going, I don't think he would have lived more than another year, if that. Even if he had somehow gotten sober, there is always the likelihood that the damage to his body was to great. I think there would have been a fairly high chance that his liver or kidneys were severely damaged. Look at Greg Allman, for example. After being sober for twenty years, his hard living caught up to him and he needed a liver transplant. He also had hepatitis C and respiratory issues.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 07:27:34 PM »

Stephen is a meticulous and methodically sound student of California music, as well as the Australian surf scene. The type of research he does, qualitative research, is both methodologically sound, and brings new understanding to seemingly unrelated data. I find his publications to be invaluable.......

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 12:55:23 AM »

Enjoyed watching this. I saw those guys so many times on tv, in concert, it always seems so familiar to me, even seeing a clip like this for the first time. I know how they respond to each other, how they communicate. Dennis looked better here than I expected to, and no surprise he is drenched in sweat after this short set. That's how he played! He had that animal energy that the band never had after his death. Carl sure looks happy here - I expected to see him just going through the motions. Mike had so much energy back then. 1983 was the last time I saw him so animated on stage. And at the risk of sending this thread to the sandbox....seeing President Reagan there reminds me of happier days in our country; I was never a Reagan fan, but he did have that kind, grandfatherly thing about him. Compared to what we have in the White House today...boy, I miss the 80's!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx