gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:33:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Full Pro-Shot 1983 White House Gig on YouTube  (Read 8499 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2017, 08:53:24 AM »

This was posted in a couple other threads including the ongoing "Official Youtube" thread, but I think this particular video warrants its own thread considering how interesting it is.

The Reagan Library organization has posted the full pro-shot video of the Beach Boys' June 1983 gig at the White House. This is the gig that for years has been seen in very brief news clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXGlcwUvRA&feature=youtu.be

It's about 30 minutes long and has in-line audio (although the mix is pretty wonky at certain points). Only one camera angle, but I guess the one camera person gets as much coverage as they can get.

A relatively weird and awkward gig. Random thoughts:

- The band does a brief set including "California Girls", "Good Vibrations", "The Warmth of the Sun", "Surfin' Safari", "Surf City", "Surfin' USA", "Rock and Roll Music", and (I'm trying to remember from watching yesterday) "Fun Fun Fun."

- It's surprising they do "Warmth of the Sun". But weirdly, Mike seems to be going *out of his way* to not say the name "Kennedy" when describing that it was written on the night of Kennedy's assassination and that they were doing the song in tribute to him. He keeps stumbling trying to say it's about JFK without actually saying his name. Bizarre.

- No love for Foskett from the camera operator, who doesn't even put the camera on Foskett when he's singing the lead on "Warmth."

- I'm surprised they had Dennis at this gig. His drumming is okay, he never falls off the rails. It's kind of messy, and he does speed everything up. It looks like Kowalski was there, literally behind the stage presumably in case Dennis literally went off the rails during the set.

- Late in the show, it appears Brian was trying to tell Dennis to slow down, and Mike relates to Dennis (trying to pass it off jokingly) that his brother is telling him to slow the tempo down.

- Brian weirdly sounds like a maniac almost angrily demanding the band do "Rock and Roll Music" for the first "encore" song. For much of the song, he plays his keyboard standing and hunched over, again kind of like a maniac. It's like the circa 1977 wild Brian returned for five minutes. 

- Dennis seems determined to continuously talk to the Reagans. I'm curious to know what he was saying, but eventually after some on-stage mingling it seems pretty clear that Mike purposely sandwiches himself between Nancy Reagan and Dennis. Prior to that, though, Dennis is completely alone clearly trying to explain something to the President, and I think he replies with something like "we'll try to get one for you"; I don't know if Dennis was asking for an autograph or a bottle of water or what.

- They all shake hands with the President about 87 times.

- Seeing how quickly Dennis literally soaks his entire shirt with sweat helps to explain why there are so many shirtless photos of Dennis drumming in 1982 and 1983. A bit awkward that he's all huggy and close up to the Reagans despite being drenched in sweat.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »

It's great to see this footage.  In the American Band clip Dennis looks in real bad shape, as if Mike is holding him up and his head flops down (which he did around this time).  However, seeing the whole footage, Dennis looks quite with it.  Sober and his drumming is fine, with the potential for it to go wrong.  He dated the Reagan's daughter at one point so maybe he's met them before.  I would love to know what he and the president were talking about!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:13:15 AM »

It's great to see this footage.  In the American Band clip Dennis looks in real bad shape, as if Mike is holding him up and his head flops down (which he did around this time).  However, seeing the whole footage, Dennis looks quite with it.  Sober and his drumming is fine, with the potential for it to go wrong.  He dated the Reagan's daughter at one point so maybe he's met them before.  I would love to know what he and the president were talking about!

I know very little of Dennis' supposed "association" with their daughter, but I tend to doubt he "dated" her in the traditional sense with her taking him home to meet her parents....

I've seen a pretty good amount of footage and photos of Dennis from this final tour, and I'd say he's "relatively with it." He doesn't seem in particularly great shape, and doesn't seem as energetic as the Seattle Kingdome show which is on video from just a few weeks prior. His drumming is passable, but not a particularly great moment for him. His fills are very stiff and awkward, and Brian's totally right, Dennis is speeding things up too much at times. But I don't think Dennis is wasted or anything, as he's able to communicate with Carl during the show to do what at times are alternate, shortened arrangements and endings to some of the songs.

But I think the BBs had come straight from a gig at RFK Stadium to do this White House show. The whole stage set up and monitor system and mic cords and everything all seems rather wonky, so they're pulling the whole thing off about as well as they can considering the shape they were in at this stage during the '83 tour.

Both Dennis's drumming and the band's overall performance I'd rate as "average" for the '83 tour. They don't sound too hot, but they're not awful either.

The mix on the extant videotape also seems to vary wildly; I'm not sure if this is what was going out into the PA for the audience.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:47:55 AM »

Jeff seems to be behind a pole during WOTS, so the camera operator either doesn't bother or can not see him.

The words 'pro shot' are hardly justified with this show, but it is interesting nevertheless.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »

I didn't even know Jeff was even there. I was pretty sure it was Billy Hinsche that was singing "Warmth Of The Sun". Why else getting would he be standing at the mic without a guitar? I've always read that Dennis was almost falling down drunk for this appearance, but he seems relatively in control behind the drums. I thought it was pretty funny how at one point he steps directly in front of Mike to talk to Nancy.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »

Jeff seems to be behind a pole during WOTS, so the camera operator either doesn't bother or can not see him.

The words 'pro shot' are hardly justified with this show, but it is interesting nevertheless.

I'd call it an one-angle pro-shot video. It's shot by a professional grade camera on to professional grade videotape, and has in-line audio.

But yeah, it's essentially a press pool camera with in-line audio. I was mainly just trying to indicate this isn't a quick little news clipping or a roaming news camera with off-line audio (some video from this era along those lines also circulates; I think there's a San Diego gig for instance like that).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »

Also kind of embarrassing is how the guys are about to sprain something straining to excessively laugh at the President's joke. Really Bruce, was it really *that* funny?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:14:52 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:04:10 PM »

Also kind of embarrassing is how the guys are about to sprain something straining to excessively laugh at the President's joke. Really Bruce, was it really *that* funny?

Bruce was laughing at the fact that somebody would actually having to work for success instead of being adopted into a rich family and then "volunteering" himself into a super famous group.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:43:47 PM »

And what's with Al and Bruce and the short shorts? At the White House?

Even Dennis dressed up a bit for the gig and put a shirt on. Put some pants on guys. I know it isn't a black tie gala, and I guess the guys did come straight from another gig they had just finished, but nobody particularly dressed up.

Dennis is wearing the nicest shirt, even if it's un-tucked and soaked.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »

Dennis seems rather blitzed to me, especially the way he's moving around and behaving when they are taking to the Reagans on stage.

I didn't even know Jeff was even there....

Look carefully and you'll see Foskett there.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »

No problem with BBs hanging with Reagans, good vibrations all around! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 04:08:38 PM »

Probably one of the best captions I have read on a message board is related to that picture. I don't know who said it, or when, but well done to the originator.

Reagan: "Which one of you banged my daughter?"
Mike: "We all did!"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 04:09:41 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 05:41:43 PM »

Brian was ADAMANT that they would play Rock N Roll Music!!!!
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 06:42:11 PM »

Great to see this video. Had seen pics/clips like everyone else.

Question (and if this is  the wrong place to ask, i apologize), do you think dennis was a republican and voted for ron? my guess is he was too busy drinking and sleeping with girls to give a crap about politics but who knows.
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »

They sound pretty good to me. Mike is in good voice and in his least goofy mode.  He looks good too, with the baldness concealing cap on he looks like he's still in his 30's.
Not sure what Al was thinking with that outfit but it's a shame he didn't get a lead.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:08 PM »

Not sure what Al was thinking with that outfit but it's a shame he didn't get a lead.

A small picture at the bottom of this link shows them pretty much in the same clothes.

https://bennetkelley.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/first-nasl-game-team-america-and-the-beach-boys-june-12-1983/

They literally did come straight from the game, although Bruce did manage to slip on some pants.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 12:45:22 AM »

- Dennis seems determined to continuously talk to the Reagans. I'm curious to know what he was saying, but eventually after some on-stage mingling it seems pretty clear that Mike purposely sandwiches himself between Nancy Reagan and Dennis. Prior to that, though, Dennis is completely alone clearly trying to explain something to the President, and I think he replies with something like "we'll try to get one for you"; I don't know if Dennis was asking for an autograph or a bottle of water or what.

at 21:30 you can hear Dennis say to the President: "Where did you get your coat? It's beautiful."
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 04:21:00 AM »

I'd call it an one-angle pro-shot video. It's shot by a professional grade camera on to professional grade videotape, and has in-line audio.

But yeah, it's essentially a press pool camera with in-line audio. I was mainly just trying to indicate this isn't a quick little news clipping or a roaming news camera with off-line audio (some video from this era along those lines also circulates; I think there's a San Diego gig for instance like that).

The audio is coming direct from the mixing desk.

Or that's what I thought during California Girls.

Mike's mic seems to be plugged straight into the camera.

What is going on with this audio?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:25:08 AM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »

COOOOOOOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »

It's odd hearing nothing but Dennis's drums the start of California Girls. At first I was confused over why Dennis was starting without the rest of the band.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 02:47:44 PM »

Firstly, thanks so much to HeyJude for bringing this to everybody's attention. A very historically fascinating show for many reasons.

A few thoughts…

- As soon as Mike says "just the ladies" during the audience participation part of Good Vibrations at 8:03, Denny makes sure to stand up and keep his eyes intently focused on the crowd  Grin

- At 23:10, when Denny goes over to hug his brothers, it's pretty touching. I feel like this might be the last known photographic or video evidence of just the three Wilson brothers standing together?

- Mike appears to be wearing the identical white Nike sneakers with red swoosh as the Marty McFly ones. Mike McFly?

- Is this the only time the band played for an audience that contained members of the Kennedys?

- Landy was almost certainly at this show, right? I didn't spot him in the video, although I wouldn't be surprised if he was just off camera.

- There were definitely some very old people in the audience of the show. It's weird to think that as late as the 1980s (or maybe even later?), they were probably attendees of Beach Boys concerts born in the 1800s.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:21:14 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 09:01:26 PM »

This was posted in a couple other threads including the ongoing "Official Youtube" thread, but I think this particular video warrants its own thread considering how interesting it is.

The Reagan Library organization has posted the full pro-shot video of the Beach Boys' June 1983 gig at the White House. This is the gig that for years has been seen in very brief news clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXGlcwUvRA&feature=youtu.be

It's about 30 minutes long and has in-line audio (although the mix is pretty wonky at certain points). Only one camera angle, but I guess the one camera person gets as much coverage as they can get.

A relatively weird and awkward gig. Random thoughts:

- The band does a brief set including "California Girls", "Good Vibrations", "The Warmth of the Sun", "Surfin' Safari", "Surf City", "Surfin' USA", "Rock and Roll Music", and (I'm trying to remember from watching yesterday) "Fun Fun Fun."

- It's surprising they do "Warmth of the Sun". But weirdly, Mike seems to be going *out of his way* to not say the name "Kennedy" when describing that it was written on the night of Kennedy's assassination and that they were doing the song in tribute to him. He keeps stumbling trying to say it's about JFK without actually saying his name. Bizarre.

- No love for Foskett from the camera operator, who doesn't even put the camera on Foskett when he's singing the lead on "Warmth."

- I'm surprised they had Dennis at this gig. His drumming is okay, he never falls off the rails. It's kind of messy, and he does speed everything up. It looks like Kowalski was there, literally behind the stage presumably in case Dennis literally went off the rails during the set.

- Late in the show, it appears Brian was trying to tell Dennis to slow down, and Mike relates to Dennis (trying to pass it off jokingly) that his brother is telling him to slow the tempo down.

- Brian weirdly sounds like a maniac almost angrily demanding the band do "Rock and Roll Music" for the first "encore" song. For much of the song, he plays his keyboard standing and hunched over, again kind of like a maniac. It's like the circa 1977 wild Brian returned for five minutes. 

- They all shake hands with the President about 87 times.

- Seeing how quickly Dennis literally soaks his entire shirt with sweat helps to explain why there are so many shirtless photos of Dennis drumming in 1982 and 1983. A bit awkward that he's all huggy and close up to the Reagans despite being drenched in sweat.
Reminds me of a moment in the 1983 Kingdome show where Dennis is up front with the other guys, all sweaty and shirtless, and hugging his bandmates. Al has that expression on his face that says "uh, i'm not too sure about this..."
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 10:52:13 PM »

great video with some cool moments, but overall... ugh.
Mike is just so hard to take, especially with his shirt unbuttoned to his navel. and those shorts on Bruce and Al are pretty hard to excuse.

the best part is when the Reagans take the stage and Brian is right there front and center, smiling and shaking hands and then introducing himself and Carl: "He's pleased to meet you, and Michael's pleased to meet you too. We're all very pleased!"  LOL love it.

Bruce is the ultimate brown noser as usual, and Mike's overly physical contact with Nancy Reagan is just weird.
Dennis stepping in front of Mike to shake hands and say hello is hilarious. when he goes and stands between Carl and Brian and they all put their arms around each other, beaming with pride... man, that's good stuff.

thanks for posting this!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:59:38 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »

Just a cringey goof in his wee sky blue shorts. He even bellowed out laughing before Reagan delivered the punchline

But yes they all give off a very weird vibe, especially the awkward laughing of Bruce, Al and Mike. Bruce literally wants to get down on his knees and unzip the president at this point. Oh well, just a cringey goof in his wee sky blue shorts. Brian is acting like a maniac about the the encore and is right in Reagan's face the whole time. Dennis is falling a part but just keeps it together here, a very sad image of self destruction. In fact Carl is about the only one keeping his cool throughout and although Mike is a goof by default he carries himself better here than one might fear...

Too many handshakes guys  Grin
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:50:06 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx