gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:09:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Glen Campbell 1936-2017  (Read 8848 times)
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 11:47:18 PM »

From Mike's Facebook page :

This morning brought very sad news of the passing of Glen Campbell. I was privileged to know Glen and to spend time with him in 1964 when Brian stopped touring with The Beach Boys and Glen took his place. It was an exciting time back then on tour with screaming girls and good looking Glen bore the brunt of it losing a watch and getting his shirt ripped by more than enthusiastic fans. I've never met a more talented person in all the years we have been in the music business and never had a better time on tour than the time spent with Glen. His sense of humor was incredible and we never laughed so much as when he was with us. Glen was with us for only a few months before he moved on with his career and what a phenomenal one it was! In later years, it was fun to drop in and visit him. Often in his shows he would do a Beach Boys medley. Our paths crossed countless times on the road including a Super Bowl performance together in San Diego many years ago. No matter when or where we were Glen, or the oldest living teenager as he referred to himself, was always witty, down to earth and just a whole lotta fun to be with. We last saw Glen in person backstage at the Grammys in 2012, highlighted by a tribute to Glen. We took a photo together and though he had been diagnosed with the disease that ultimately ended his life he was kind and friendly which was his nature. We lost a friend this morning, and the world lost an enormously talented person in Glen Campbell. We are blessed to have known him and the world is blessed to have his musical legacy that will forever be part of America's best music. He joins a growing list of legends that have left us with their musical gifts and Glen Campbell is one of the brightest stars in the musical firmament. As he said " I am just a country boy with guitar" we say no, you are our country's hero with a guitar! We love you Glen.
Peace Brother,
Mike Love

From Al's Facebook page :

Glen was a good friend and he was generous to a fault. We shared some good times together as fellow Beach Boys when he began his meteoric rise to stardom and continued to be friends. I send all my love to the family and especially Debby for getting him to that studio that day. He made everything sound better. He taught ME how to sing!

From Brian's Facebook page :

I am very broken up to hear about my friend Glen Campbell. Glen was an incredible musician and an even better person. I'm at a loss. Love & Mercy to Glen's family and friends.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 12:48:03 AM »

I've been lucky to meet a lot of my musical icons, but Glen was one that was truly fun to be with. Talked to me like I was a friend, very warm and funny. He could do it all - play virtuoso guitar, sing better than anybody, also wrote some great songs. I am glad his battle with Alzheimer's is over, though. I watched it ravage my grandmother the last 3 years of her life, it is so strange when you are sitting with someone you've known all your life, and they haven't a clue who you are. I hope one day this disease is completely wiped out. If it ever claims me, I know that, like Glen, the musical abilities and memories will be the last thing to go. He was very inspiring on that farewell tour.
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 01:23:59 AM »

Memorial tanka-palindrome:

>GLEN, a B*Boy  (live) ~  BY' ...

Dig "G.I.D."!  ~  (Yo Brats)   "W*CREW"er!!

C°. + W.  *S*T*A*R*,

(boy diggidy)  -  Be wily,

o  BB; an "El G."....<
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:55:26 AM by >dr.O'Limeriex/Eire("M'l°rd")< » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 04:12:59 AM »

The Third Member of the Beach Boys that die Cry Cry Cry

For me it was expected, now I know the reason that he realased now the album
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 07:07:16 AM »

Glen wasn't with the band long enough to become an official Beach Boy, he's more like a close associate.

His passing, while not unexpected, is still a great loss to music.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:08:44 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »

Rest in peace, Mr Campbell, and thanks for everything.  You won't be forgotten any time soon.  I'm glad you don't have to suffer from Alzheimer's anymore.

I was glad to read the heartfelt messages from Mike, Al, and Brian.  In Denny Tedesco's film The Wrecking Crew, Glen comes right out and says, "Brian Wilson's a genius."  Coming from him, that means a lot.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »

I always enjoyed when Glen biffed (not sure whether it was on purpose or not) one of his lines on "I Get Around" for the BBs 25th Anniversary show:

https://youtu.be/_p4CeteoPVQ?t=10m20s

Best BB-related praise I can offer Glen Campbell is that I've said before that I've never pined *that* much for an elusive, urban legend Brian guide lead vocal for "Guess I'm Dumb", because Glen sings it just fine on the actual record (and relatively Brian-esque to boot).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 11:56:24 AM »

one thing about mike love - his tributes are almost always heartfelt and really really moving
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 12:36:26 AM »

So many here talk about their time with a BB. I feel very fortunate when I interviewed him live on TV the day he opened his Palace in Branson. Some say that his facility was opulent. Yes, it was  a cool place, but that didn't matter to me, it was the time I spent with him one on one on live TV when I went off script and brought up the Beach Boys years. He answered with smiles in his eyes. The cream of the crop for sure. 1993/May.

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 12:43:27 AM »

I lost a chunk of by bad feelings about ML after I read what he wrote about Glen.  You too are loved Mike. That was so heartfelt.  Bruce, I'm sure, feels grateful to Glen for opening the door for him to the greatest American band ever.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 02:33:37 AM »

Yeah it's ironic that Mikes lyrical ability has been debated often enough over the years yet his 'writing' is actually pretty good.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2017, 02:56:18 AM »

It's a blessing that he's at peace now. But it's still a terrible loss. I don't know about everyone else, but I personally like to think and believe that now he's in heaven, he has been restored to his fully functioning self, mentally and physically. I always thought his version of Randy Newman's "Marie" was very moving. Even more so now.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Myra
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 06:12:35 PM »

RIP, Glen Campbell.

Be kind to the people you meet on the way up because you will meet the same people on the way down.

Ralph Kramden.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 12:09:25 PM »

Think I heard he was interred in his hometown of Delight Arkansas.....I was wondering if that would happen.  Kinda neat he chose to go back home at the end of the day....
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 05:10:50 AM »

Is there any footage at all of Glen Campbell performing with the BB's?

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 12:39:19 AM »

I just found this interesting footage. Quite amazing, actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1AMgm8Pc1o

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 03:29:39 AM »

Is there any footage at all of Glen Campbell performing with the BB's?

I wish that
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx