gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:08:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Mike Love realize he is despised by millions of fans?  (Read 54056 times)
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2017, 07:32:53 PM »

Does Mike Love realize that he is despised, loathed, or (in some cases) hated by millions of music fans? What is this guy's level of awareness that so many people dislike him?

Sometimes he may say something like "well some people may not like such and such thing I did, but cousin Brian was on drugs and I needed to... blah blah blah."

There seem to be some quick acknowledgments that people may not like a couple of isolated acts of his. But does this dude realize how widely despised he is by so many people?
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 07:40:27 PM »

To hear him say it:

"For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist." - According to Mike Love's Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy

I think he knows. And that ^^ is a pretty condescending way of putting it, too, which kinda reinforces the idea of him being viewed as the 'bad guy'. lol I personally like him but he doesn't make it easy sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:45:13 PM by JL » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 08:52:33 PM »

According to this article, He seems to realize that he's considered as villain: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-ballad-of-mike-love-20160217
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 11:14:37 PM »

I can understand his perspective in some ways. For decades he dealt with not getting credit for the songs that he wrote lyrics on. In the late 70s when all 3 Wilsons were doing drugs, he saw that it was destroying lives as well as the band. I think he would have traded his power of the band in a heartbeat if the Wilsons were all healthy and alive today. I have seen 2 interviews since the 90s when Mike is in tears talking about his relationship with Brian. When asked around 2006 or 07 if he missed Brian, he said "He is right here (touching his heart). The Brian I know is right here" Tearing up as he spoke. At the reunion when Brian was either unwilling or not allowed to sit in a room with him one on one, I'm sure that hurt him a lot. And perhaps a big reason he ended the reunion. I'm not saying Mike is perfect. But this man has feelings too. When he hears for a years that he is a talentless hack that was along for the ride, it is natural that he would be defensive about it.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:49:36 AM »

I can understand his perspective in some ways. For decades he dealt with not getting credit for the songs that he wrote lyrics on. In the late 70s when all 3 Wilsons were doing drugs, he saw that it was destroying lives as well as the band. I think he would have traded his power of the band in a heartbeat if the Wilsons were all healthy and alive today. I have seen 2 interviews since the 90s when Mike is in tears talking about his relationship with Brian. When asked around 2006 or 07 if he missed Brian, he said "He is right here (touching his heart). The Brian I know is right here" Tearing up as he spoke. At the reunion when Brian was either unwilling or not allowed to sit in a room with him one on one, I'm sure that hurt him a lot. And perhaps a big reason he ended the reunion. I'm not saying Mike is perfect. But this man has feelings too. When he hears for a years that he is a talentless hack that was along for the ride, it is natural that he would be defensive about it.

This. Thank you, MTR.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 02:58:06 AM »

'Millions' might be a stretch.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 03:00:42 AM »

I do love his contributions to the early material and he did some amazing stuff on albums like Wild Honey and Holland. That, to me, is his artistic legacy when it comes to the BB in the studio. His voice I like too. As for all the other stuff he's well-known for, I'd say that Mike Love himself is highly responsible for the way he is being perceived.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 05:27:32 AM »

I can understand his perspective in some ways. For decades he dealt with not getting credit for the songs that he wrote lyrics on.  When he hears for a years that he is a talentless hack that was along for the ride, it is natural that he would be defensive about it.

First of all Mike got tons of credit back in the day.  Wilson - Love was almost as common as Lennon - McCartney from 63-65.  Yes Usher and Christian were there too but usually it was Mikey and I actually think he got [and still gets] MORE credit for that time-frame than is actually warranted.  But Brian had more in him that he had to get out much to snivelling Mike's chagrin.  It appears that Mike was left off some songs.  Murry's [assholishness] doing.  He also got inserted into and onto songs he really had ever so little to do with.  Over time I'd say it evened out rather nicely for a guy  who, as you so succinctly put it, "is a talentless hack that was along for the ride."

Once Brian matured the sound and direction and no longer really needed  [or wanted]  to "do it!!!  do it!!!  do it!!!' again and again AND...a g a i n... ... ...that so-called 'love' guy indeed became ALL of that.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 05:28:33 AM »

But then one reads the details of the 2005 lawsuit and it’s completely understandable why Brian was either unwilling or not allowed to record music one-on-one with him. The C50 plans were made a little over 6 years after that lawsuit, and the things that are said about Brian in that suit are outright blatant lies.

That Brian was in a car with Mike and Jackie alone at one point during the C50 says a lot about Brian (in that I don’t think the lawsuit stuff effects him that much and he still doesn’t mind being around Mike) - at the same time Brian and Melinda’s financial advisors, and even his mental health doctors, probably recommend Brian stay away from this kind of stuff.

That 2005 lawsuit says all you need to know about why fans dislike the guy, and that is just one drop in a very large and full bucket.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 05:47:53 AM »

To hear him say it:

"For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist." - According to Mike Love's Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy

I think he knows. And that ^^ is a pretty condescending way of putting it, too, which kinda reinforces the idea of him being viewed as the 'bad guy'. lol I personally like him but he doesn't make it easy sometimes.

What he says isn't untrue. 

But, I do think that "despised by millions" is an exaggeration. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 06:38:52 AM »

But, I do think that "despised by millions" is an exaggeration. 

And "despised by millions of fans" just looks weird! LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 06:55:29 AM »

At the reunion when Brian was either unwilling or not allowed to sit in a room with him one on one

This has been proven to not, not, not be true though. People who would know said there was plenty of time for them to have gotten together in a room to write if Mike wanted, yet it seems it never happened. The guys were around each other a lot on that tour. Personally, I don't think Mike cares all that much about writing with Brian, I think it's just another straw man so he can have more excuses to tour as "The Beach Boys" without the actual Beach Boys there.

And I'm sure you don't mean to come off as belittling to Brian when you say "not allowed" but really when you say something like that, it really is pretty disrespectful, especially after the great input that awesome people like Ray Lawlor have given us around here.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 07:10:01 AM »

I don't think Mike cares too much who "hates" him. I think he does value the life he's led, the music, travel, wealth, fame, fortune. I think he laughs all the way to the bank. Maybe when he was somewhat younger he may have cared , but as you get old, your perspective changes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:18:06 AM »

I don't think Mike cares too much who "hates" him. I think he does value the life he's led, the music, travel, wealth, fame, fortune. I think he laughs all the way to the bank. Maybe when he was somewhat younger he may have cared , but as you get old, your perspective changes.

I think that's probably exactly right ... and that it's the healthiest perspective for him to have. There's plenty about Mike I'd change if it were up to me. But it's not. It's his life. It would be insane for him to focus on what "fans" hate rather than doing what he thinks is best for himself --even if he's mistaken in that course he's chosen. It shouldn't be his primary concern whether some listeners would be happier if he had followed some path they preferred him to follow.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »

At the reunion when Brian was either unwilling or not allowed to sit in a room with him one on one, I'm sure that hurt him a lot. And perhaps a big reason he ended the reunion.

While Brian confirmed in his autobiography that writing en masse alone in a room with Mike is not how he wants to write, it's somewhat incorrect to suggest Brian was "unwilling" or "not allowed" to sit in a room one on one with Mike during the reunion.

Several observers have pointed out that Mike saw Brian more on a day-to-day basis and spent more time *alone* with Brian in 2012 than he had since probably 1981 if not earlier. Melinda was not on much if not most of the tour (and I only even mention that in case there are those that actually think Melinda was trying to hide Brian from Mike during the tour or something, which isn't accurate, as she helped *facilitate* the tour happening in the first place), and many have pointed out that there was plenty of time on tour where there was a keyboard at hand during which Mike could have approached Brian to write, and there's zero evidence he even tried.

The idea that Brian not wanting to "write alone" with Mike is super hurtful to Mike is, I think, just kind of silly. I'm not saying hurt feelings (or bruised egos, etc.) wouldn't be a factor. But these guys have been at it for 50 years, and Mike has *many times* written without Brian. He did an *entire album* without Brian in 1992 called "Summer in Paradise."

And we know at the end of 2012 that Brian wanted to be a Beach Boy, and Mike left Brian and essentially quit the group. That's a much stronger, more potentially hurtful move in my opinion, than Brian saying (or by his actions showing) that he'd rather write stuff on his own or with another writer and then bring some things to Mike to have Mike add some lyrics.

The diplomatic way to put things would be that by the end of 2012, Brian and Mike's respective ideas for what constituted being a Beach Boy were vastly different. The problem is, Brian's "idea" (e.g. writing with outside writers, bringing in-progress songs and recordings to the band to work on rather than doing everything from scratch with Mike) of how to do the band was and is *much closer* to how the band actually has operated for the majority of its career. On the other hand, when was the last time an entire album was Brian/Mike "from scratch" compositions? Arguably never, and they haven't had a "hit" writing together in 40-50 years depending on how you measure it.

Brian was, arguably, only saying to Mike "I don't want to exclusively write with you from scratch; I'm simply working in a slightly different fashion to how I did in 1963." Mike, on the other hand, was saying to Brian by his actions "I don't want to work with you anymore. The factors involved and the effort I have to make in order for us to work together is just not worth it."

I also believe Brian not wanting to be "in the room alone to write" with Mike had little to do with Mike quitting the band at the end of C50. I think Brian writing with Joe Thomas and/or using old Joe Thomas tracks rather than writing from scratch with Mike was a symptom of what Mike didn't like on the whole about that whole situation rather than a major cause.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:21:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »

According to this article, He seems to realize that he's considered as villain: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-ballad-of-mike-love-20160217

That Rolling Stone piece was excellent, and the writer for once challenged Mike on some of these basic, fundamental personality issues.

What we saw in that piece was Mike being, by leaps and bounds, as self-aware as he possibly can be. And even then, it's clear he doesn't really "get it" in terms of why he's seen as a villain. He acknowledges it's the case, but he seems to think the reputation is based mostly on incorrect information, and/or not getting his sense of humor or personality, etc.

So basically, Mike acknowledges how people feel about him. But he doesn't seem to believe it's a particularly valid opinion.

One of the problems is that I think Mike thinks people don't like him because he's "not Brian Wilson", rather than actually looking at what he does and how he does it and what he says and how he says it. As I mentioned, he's a bit aware that he can come across as kind of a d**k, but he dismisses that often as just having a sense of humor that some people don't get.

The stuff I don't think Mike seems to grasp is how poorly he comes across in interviews rattling the same saber about the same things, namely the songwriting lawsuit (which he won over 20 years ago) and harping on the drug use of the Wilsons (another thing that is over 20 years in the past, and concerning two people that are dead). I don't think he notices how many times he's been asked questions about *him* in interviews and he *immediately* moves to pointing out that Dennis was an alcoholic 35-40 years ago. He seems to define himself more by what he's *not*, and who he's not like, rather than by what he is or what he does.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 08:32:05 AM »

Interesting question here.

I know many on this board have strong opinions about Mike Love.

At this late point in the game, is there anything that Mike could do that would change how he's perceived? 

Or, for those posters with strong opinions of Mike, is there anything that he could do that would make you change your opinion? 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 08:34:54 AM »

When asked around 2006 or 07 if he missed Brian, he said "He is right here (touching his heart). The Brian I know is right here" Tearing up as he spoke.

I think this is a very key phrase. "The Brian I know." We've seen numerous examples of the fact that Mike, in part, seem to form a sort of idealized, fictionalized version of Brian in his mind.

Does he really *know* Brian anymore?

Wouldn't most of us find it kind of silly for someone to still assume someone in 2012 should be like the version they remember from 50 years earlier?

Mike doesn't seem to want to admit that Brian doesn't do the things Mike wants him to do (namely write with Mike) maybe because Brian just doesn't want to. Brian has changed over 50 years, and not only because of Landy or Melinda. He has changed because most people change in some key ways over the course of half a century.

It's a pretty common, classic sort of train of thought, to think that someone doesn't like you not because of you, but because of some other external force. In this case, it isn't even as if Brian "doesn't like" Mike. Rather, he just relates to him differently, especially on professional/musical level. And Mike, in my opinion, seems to want to believe that "That's Why God Made the Radio" didn't have 12 Wilson/Love co-writes because of Melinda rather than Brian not wanting to write everything with Mike (and/or maybe he thinks Mike's writing isn't that great these days, and/or they were being a little lazy and using a lot of late 90s Joe Thomas outtakes, and so on).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 08:41:24 AM »

At this late point in the game, is there anything that Mike could do that would change how he's perceived? 

Or, for those posters with strong opinions of Mike, is there anything that he could do that would make you change your opinion? 

C50. C50 was a huge game-changer not just for the band, but specifically for Mike. As Howie Edelson pointed out some time back, Mike in some ways was *THE HERO* of that tour and reunion.

And the quality of that reunion proved how easily a *half century* of bad PR could be wiped away. Some of the most cynical fans ever warmed up to Mike. The BS of the past was forgotten. Mike was on stage and in the studio with Brian, and Al. He was singing along with Dennis on stage. Again borrowing Howie's phraseology, Mike went from "Frankie Valli to Mick Jagger overnight." And I feel that way both as an objective industry observer and as a fan.

THAT is how Mike could have fixed almost all of his bad image/PR issues with fans (and the music press as well, and critics, etc.). To be on the *right side* of the art and the PR. To be *with* Brian rather than talking sh*t about him. To stop reminding us what he needs to take credit for, to stop reminding us that Carl smoked and he didn't and that Dennis was an alcoholic and he wasn't, or that Al had a bad attitude and he doesn't, and instead *work with* the band, create NEW music and put on AMAZING live shows. To be HUMBLE. Tell everyone about a cool song Dave or Al wrote or something *instead* of reminding everyone he knows John Stamos and that "Kokomo" was a #1 single.

Mike accomplished ALL of that in mere weeks if not months in 2012, and then not only undid ALL of that with the poor ending to the reunion, but actually *regressed* to 1988 R&R HOF speech levels in terms of PR and image.

KDS
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 08:58:27 AM »

C50. C50 was a huge game-changer not just for the band, but specifically for Mike. As Howie Edelson pointed out some time back, Mike in some ways was *THE HERO* of that tour and reunion.

And the quality of that reunion proved how easily a *half century* of bad PR could be wiped away. Some of the most cynical fans ever warmed up to Mike. The BS of the past was forgotten. Mike was on stage and in the studio with Brian, and Al. He was singing along with Dennis on stage. Again borrowing Howie's phraseology, Mike went from "Frankie Valli to Mick Jagger overnight." And I feel that way both as an objective industry observer and as a fan.

THAT is how Mike could have fixed almost all of his bad image/PR issues with fans (and the music press as well, and critics, etc.). To be on the *right side* of the art and the PR. To be *with* Brian rather than talking sh*t about him. To stop reminding us what he needs to take credit for, to stop reminding us that Carl smoked and he didn't and that Dennis was an alcoholic and he wasn't, or that Al had a bad attitude and he doesn't, and instead *work with* the band, create NEW music and put on AMAZING live shows. To be HUMBLE. Tell everyone about a cool song Dave or Al wrote or something *instead* of reminding everyone he knows John Stamos and that "Kokomo" was a #1 single.

Mike accomplished ALL of that in mere weeks if not months in 2012, and then not only undid ALL of that with the poor ending to the reunion, but actually *regressed* to 1988 R&R HOF speech levels in terms of PR and image.

I agree that keeping the reunited band together would've done Mike a lot of favors in the long run.

But, I'm talking about now. 

What could Mike do on August 7, 2017 that would do his image a lot of favors?   Even if somehow Brian and Al were allowed back into the band, would it be too little too late?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 09:13:30 AM »

I agree that keeping the reunited band together would've done Mike a lot of favors in the long run.

What could Mike do on August 7, 2017 that would do his image a lot of favors?   Even if somehow Brian and Al were allowed back into the band, would it be too little too late?

Yeah, I think getting back to where they were in September 2012 would be the best he could do.

In terms of PR and critics and the music press, it might be too late, especially in the US. They might have trouble with the major booking agents with the big cash who would invest a lot into the project.

But yeah, a C50-type situation to *end* the band's career would be what Mike would have to do. I think the damage he did to the renewed brand in 2012 might be irreparable (think of how skeptical some were back in 2012; that skepticism would be ramped up a thousand times if they did another similar reunion project), but maybe they could pull it off if with good management and PR and *lots of planning* and a true promise to end the saga together, with a clear statement that every Beach Boys song and live show from that point on would include all surviving members. So they could still end it pretty much at *any time* they wanted to, but they'd be *ending* the saga if they stopped instead of taking a weird left turn where Mike continues using the name so that the *appearance* is that he's fired other guys, etc.

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 09:22:20 AM »

Millions?  LOL  I don't think so....
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »

What could Mike do on August 7, 2017 that would do his image a lot of favors?   Even if somehow Brian and Al were allowed back into the band, would it be too little too late?

We know this isn't gonna happen, but:

Giving an interview where he sincerely publicly apologizes for many, many instances of sh*tty behavior, acknowledges acting in a super toxic way for decades, and having massive ego problems, and how he is trying to get help for these things... this would help his image in the eyes of a number of people. It wouldn't change everything overnight, but it would help. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:31:35 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »

Yeah, I think getting back to where they were in September 2012 would be the best he could do.

In terms of PR and critics and the music press, it might be too late, especially in the US. They might have trouble with the major booking agents with the big cash who would invest a lot into the project.

But yeah, a C50-type situation to *end* the band's career would be what Mike would have to do. I think the damage he did to the renewed brand in 2012 might be irreparable (think of how skeptical some were back in 2012; that skepticism would be ramped up a thousand times if they did another similar reunion project), but maybe they could pull it off if with good management and PR and *lots of planning* and a true promise to end the saga together, with a clear statement that every Beach Boys song and live show from that point on would include all surviving members. So they could still end it pretty much at *any time* they wanted to, but they'd be *ending* the saga if they stopped instead of taking a weird left turn where Mike continues using the name so that the *appearance* is that he's fired other guys, etc.

Depending on when he decides to do it, I could see a big farewell tour with all the living members. 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »

In a word, nothing. Too much water under the bridge and too many blown opportunities. It's far too late for someone like the lovester to change course this late in life. He is who he is and time has taken it's toll and I would also say that to keep wishing that there be some sort of reconciliation at this late date is something of a pipe dream that just isn't going to happen nor should it. I'm happy the way thing are with Brian doing his own thing without constantly being nudged here and there by his ungrateful cousin who's only in it for the buckaroos and label credit. We all know that he's certainly not the Beach Boys by any stretch of the imagination but the sad, pitiful truth of it is that he's convinced himself that he IS. Personally, I just hope the man never gets to be on stage with or write with Brian Wilson ever again.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx