gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:56:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fat Boys/Crushin'/Beach Boys/Wipeout/ Legacy  (Read 8835 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 02:09:27 AM »

..yet not as bad as the absolute bottom of the barrel..."Happy Endings" with Little Richard. You have rock and roll's wild man Little Richard on a record and he sounds like he's weeping over a Casio.

Now you're talking! Grin

The legacy is in tact. The legacy will remain in tact. The only people who think much about it, who worry, are the people who purportedly love the band the most (and so whose confidence should be strongest). Pet Sounds is never going to suck, no matter how many shitty albums, singles, sitcom appearances, or former celeb collaborations happen. It will never matter unless you make it matter.

"Wipeout" was fine. Fun. Pleasant. Enjoyable. Everyone, enjoy your summer.

Wise words, cap'n. And not a moment too soon. Have a great summer yourself. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 05:34:27 AM »

The legacy is in tact. The legacy will remain in tact. The only people who think much about it, who worry, are the people who purportedly love the band the most (and so whose confidence should be strongest). Pet Sounds is never going to suck, no matter how many shitty albums, singles, sitcom appearances, or former celeb collaborations happen. It will never matter unless you make it matter.

"Wipeout" was fine. Fun. Pleasant. Enjoyable. Everyone, enjoy your summer.

^This
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »

Mike's an out and out  weenie.

I like this song approximately 12 /ah sh!t...make it a true baker's dozen Alex/13 times more than that 'slumber in pair of dice' remake of Surfin'.  It was one [ and really only 1 ] thing.  It was FUN!!!  It was an off to the side  group project and, for me, it neither adds to nor subtracts from 'the legacy'.  It's a rap-time kind of 'Party' extra.

The rest of their Mikey-poo inspired wiping out formula doesn't equate to doin' Wipeout with The Fat Boys.  Those 2 clowns who just hogged camera and mic time with the latest in a sadly never-ending and ongoing litany of ways to ruin the originally questionable decision to 'do it again' are not Fat Boys.  They're fake boys.

At this point?  So is Mike-Eddy.  A fake...in a dumb-ass hat.  I guess that's why he's an ass-hat.  [Multi decades of practice.]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:39:16 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 01:21:20 PM »

I was in my first decade of BB fandom in 1987, so anything that got them on the radio was great to me. No, I didn't really love Wipe Out, but at least it got them a chart hit, and maybe won them a few new fans. I remember hearing all those 80's singles on the radio - Getcha Back, It's Gettin' Late, She Believes in Love Again, Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue, California Dreamin', Wipe Out, and then Kokomo. So it's not like there wasn't anything and then suddenly Kokomo. Those 80's records are mostly forgotten or despised today, but I was glad our guys weren't 100% nostalgia yet.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 02:05:03 PM »

Honestly... Still cruisin is their last best solid song. Forget anything from summer in paradise except summer of love, that's catchy. Forget Stars and Stripes. Now if you count Al's Don't Fight The Sea. Now that's a song!! That song should have been on the 50th reunion album. The title track off their 50th is pretty good. Also From There To Back Again is really good.
KDS
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »

I was in my first decade of BB fandom in 1987, so anything that got them on the radio was great to me. No, I didn't really love Wipe Out, but at least it got them a chart hit, and maybe won them a few new fans. I remember hearing all those 80's singles on the radio - Getcha Back, It's Gettin' Late, She Believes in Love Again, Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue, California Dreamin', Wipe Out, and then Kokomo. So it's not like there wasn't anything and then suddenly Kokomo. Those 80's records are mostly forgotten or despised today, but I was glad our guys weren't 100% nostalgia yet.

They may not be as good as their 60s / early 70s stuff, but I really like their mid to late 80s output.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »

I was given my first Beach Boys album on my 12th birthday, which coincided with an extended family boating trip in Utah.  That album was Still Cruisin', and I played that cassette tape over and over as I sat on that beach. It's still one of my favorite Beach Boys albums, although admittedly it's because of nostalgia.  I lost the cassette long ago and it drives me insane that it's not available digitally.  

But dang I loved Wipe Out! Not a fan of that really echoey splash at the end, but nothing quite brings me back to my teenage days like hearing that album and that song.  I've never sought out the Fat Boys version, so I'm champing at the bit for this meeting to end.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »

They may not be as good as their 60s / early 70s stuff, but I really like their mid to late 80s output.
Yeah, I like it, too. Was pretty cool to see them do those songs 'live' when they were new.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 02:36:09 AM »

the absolute bottom of the barrel..."Happy Endings" with Little Richard. You have rock and roll's wild man Little Richard on a record and he sounds like he's weeping over a Casio.

Despite the abysmal "Happy Endings" (to say nothing of the abysmal "My Ding-A-Ling"), Little Richard's legacy (to say nothing of Chuck Berry's) is every bit as intact as that of The Beach Boys. I fail to see the problem.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Kamandi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »

It was 30 years ago that the Fat Boys released their album Crushin'. I'm am no expert on the genre, but it has been described as their breakout album. And although the band seemed to have a somewhat comical persona, it appears that they were respected in the profession, and were pioneering in some aspects of Hip Hop.

So, given that Crushin' was their most successful release, and that Wipeout was the single from said album, which had a respectable climb to Number 12, does Wipeout deserve more respect among Beach Boys fans? Did the Beach Boys, in some small way, help pave the way for Hip Hop to become an accessible genre that would go on to dominate the modern music industry?

I would say yes it deserves more credit among Beach Boys fans because as someone said, it presented the boys as contemporary artists in a different genre. I remember buying the Crushin' tape to hear the cut. I still have never heard any of other songs on the tape though I do remember Wipeout fading into a loud annoying wail that started the next track that I would hear before hitting rewind (Something like "Wahhh, Charlie!"). Utterly stunned to hear Brian and Mike singing 15 Big Ones style. I loved it. Wipeout also deserves the credit (or blame) for the Kokomo success. Wipeout put the Boys into the minds of the youth at the time. I recall Mike saying in a TV interview during the Kokomo craze that their earlier single Wipeout was very popular and paved the success of Kokomo. I even got to hear it live. It was at a baseball show so Carl couldnt leave the stage but did stay in the back drinking a soda while Billy H gave a very enthusiastic lead rap.

But, nah, it didnt do anything to make hip hop become an accessible genre.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:16:33 PM by Kamandi » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »

I have little to add to this thread other than to confess that I love Wipeout.  I loved it when I was a teenager and love it today.  I really think the BB vocals are gorgeous.  Wah-wah-waahhh...

However, I do find it a bit hard to watch the video.  When they get to the break-down part with Al, Mike, and Bruce in Times Square with record players...Oh my god, it's embarrassing. 

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 09:21:04 PM »

I have little to add to this thread other than to confess that I love Wipeout.  I loved it when I was a teenager and love it today.  I really think the BB vocals are gorgeous.  Wah-wah-waahhh...

However, I do find it a bit hard to watch the video.  When they get to the break-down part with Al, Mike, and Bruce in Times Square with record players...Oh my god, it's embarrassing. 

I like the BB's 80's records; the videos, on the other hand, are mostly embarrassing; the exceptions being California Dreamin' and Somewhere Near Japan.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2017, 04:44:07 PM »

the absolute bottom of the barrel..."Happy Endings" with Little Richard. You have rock and roll's wild man Little Richard on a record and he sounds like he's weeping over a Casio.

Despite the abysmal "Happy Endings" (to say nothing of the abysmal "My Ding-A-Ling"), Little Richard's legacy (to say nothing of Chuck Berry's) is every bit as intact as that of The Beach Boys. I fail to see the problem.

Never suggested Richard`s legacy was in trouble. He could record 1000 "Happy Endings" and it would make a damn bit of difference to his legacy (which has consistently been my point all along).
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2017, 10:56:26 PM »

Brian Wilson and The Human Beat Box...two geniuses unite....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2017, 04:18:32 AM »

Never suggested Richard`s legacy was in trouble. He could record 1000 "Happy Endings" and it would make a damn bit of difference to his legacy (which has consistently been my point all along).

I agree. Same for Chuck, same for the BB.

Sorry if I gave the impression I was criticizing you. I just don't understand why others are getting so het up about these inconsequential lapses.   

KDS
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »

Fun fact.  Little Richard was also on Full House
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »

I wonder if he made a secret appearance in the Peter Sellers movie 'Being There'?  Mr. Penniman also liked "to watch".

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »

Fun fact.  Little Richard was also on Full House
Cause Mike told him "you should do Full House, it'll introduce your music to a whole new audience - pre-teen girls with a crush on John Stamos!" I wonder if Uncle Jessie ever turned up at Richard's concerts? Maybe to sing his very special rendition of "Bama Lama, Bama Loo".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx