gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:55:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fat Boys/Crushin'/Beach Boys/Wipeout/ Legacy  (Read 8830 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »

It was 30 years ago that the Fat Boys released their album Crushin'. I'm am no expert on the genre, but it has been described as their breakout album. And although the band seemed to have a somewhat comical persona, it appears that they were respected in the profession, and were pioneering in some aspects of Hip Hop.

So, given that Crushin' was their most successful release, and that Wipeout was the single from said album, which had a respectable climb to Number 12, does Wipeout deserve more respect among Beach Boys fans? Did the Beach Boys, in some small way, help pave the way for Hip Hop to become an accessible genre that would go on to dominate the modern music industry?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:22:03 AM »

Confessions: I like this song, although the version on  Crushin' was better (different mix and editing)

Crushin' was their commercial breakthrough, although their earlier work was better.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:27:07 AM »

The real question is if Mike and Bruce missed an opportunity to do Disorderlies 2, where they'd star as the orderlies.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 11:34:09 AM »

It was 30 years ago that the Fat Boys released their album Crushin'. I'm am no expert on the genre, but it has been described as their breakout album. And although the band seemed to have a somewhat comical persona, it appears that they were respected in the profession, and were pioneering in some aspects of Hip Hop.

So, given that Crushin' was their most successful release, and that Wipeout was the single from said album, which had a respectable climb to Number 12, does Wipeout deserve more respect among Beach Boys fans? Did the Beach Boys, in some small way, help pave the way for Hip Hop to become an accessible genre that would go on to dominate the modern music industry?

While I'm not expert on rap / hip hop, I don't think the Fat/Beach Boys version of Wipe Out had quite the lasting impact that the RUN DMC version of Walk This Way with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry from Aerosmith. 

For one, Walk This Way helped revive Aerosmith's floundering career.  And it seemed to break down more barriers when it comes to making rap more "acceptable" to mainstream audiences. 

Also, in 2017, Walk This Way seems to have aged far better than Wipe Out. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 11:36:05 AM »

Some thoughts:

- I've always thought from the moment I first heard it that the splashing sound at the end of Wipe Out '87 sounded like a toilet flushing. Totally serious.

- That said, I love The Fat Boys as a guilty pleasure; I owned Crushin' on cassette as a kid, long before I ever bought my first BBs album, and long before I was particularly familiar with The BBs' music.

- Is this song the first known usage of the term "The Real Beach Boys"? Funny, since that later became a catchphrase when debating the legitimacy (or lack thereof) of the various splintered camps. Maybe The Fat Boys accidentally invented a popular term.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:43:54 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 12:12:21 PM »

That said, I love The Fat Boys as a guilty pleasure; I owned Crushin' on cassette as a kid, long before I ever bought my first BBs album, and long before I was particularly familiar with The BBs' music.

Their first two albums are ace; they definitely went for a poppier sound on Crushin'. Weird thing, two years or so later they tried to do a (ahem) "hip hop opera" which to this day is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard.

s this song the first known usage of the term "The Real Beach Boys"? Funny, since that later became a catchphrase when debating the legitimacy (or lack thereof) of the various splintered camps. Maybe The Fat Boys accidentally invented a popular term.

To my knowledge, yes

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »

That said, I love The Fat Boys as a guilty pleasure; I owned Crushin' on cassette as a kid, long before I ever bought my first BBs album, and long before I was particularly familiar with The BBs' music.

Their first two albums are ace; they definitely went for a poppier sound on Crushin'. Weird thing, two years or so later they tried to do a (ahem) "hip hop opera" which to this day is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard.

I must hear this.

I wonder if I'm the only member of this board to have seen Disorderlies in the theater, in first run. (And out of being a kid fan of The Fat Boys, not out of any Beach Boys fandom, mind you!)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »

Some thoughts:

- I've always thought from the moment I first heard it that the splashing sound at the end of Wipe Out '87 sounded like a toilet flushing. Totally serious.

- That said, I love The Fat Boys as a guilty pleasure; I owned Crushin' on cassette as a kid, long before I ever bought my first BBs album, and long before I was particularly familiar with The BBs' music.

- Is this song the first known usage of the term "The Real Beach Boys"? Funny, since that later became a catchphrase when debating the legitimacy (or lack thereof) of the various splintered camps. Maybe The Fat Boys accidentally invented a popular term.
CD,
Interesting perspective. So since you were listening to Crushin as a Fat Boys fan, how did Wipeout rate, was it enjoyable or more of a distraction from the rest of the album?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »

I must hear this.

I wonder if I'm the only member of this board to have seen Disorderlies in the theater, in first run. (And out of being a kid fan of The Fat Boys, not out of any Beach Boys fandom, mind you!)

I saw it in the theater back then too (I was 9, btw). When they were pushing Ralph Bellamy (can't remember the character's name) in the wheel chair at full speed during the credit roll, I remember  I about lost my sh*t.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »

Some thoughts:

CD,
Interesting perspective. So since you were listening to Crushin as a Fat Boys fan, how did Wipeout rate, was it enjoyable or more of a distraction from the rest of the album?

I'm not CD, but for me at first it was a guilty pleasure, not because of the Fat Boys, but because the Beach Boys were on it (sort of, I think only Brian and Mike were actually on it), and at that moment in time it was very uncool to like the BB. It fit the album, though it was weird because it came between a love ballad (!) and an ode to sex (!!), neither which the Fat Boys had done before (or since).

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »

Look what I found

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-08-17/features/8901060169_1_fat-boys-tin-pan-apple-beach-boys

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 01:33:54 PM »

Very cool!

And here are 14 cuts from that "rapera":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeuJ4in8gos&list=PLwoyYQXxXlKO7XJ9sr9om49eKljWHy4iM&index=1

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 04:06:11 PM »

Funny this topic comes up when people are freaking out over Mike's version of DOI.

I don't begrudge anyone for liking this but...

to me, this is (nearly) the nadir of The Beach Boys' recording career. I don't have any problem with The Fat Boys and obviously have no problem with The Beach Boys...but never the twain shall meet. Truly appalling version of the song. The only redeeming value for me is the wall of Brian Wilsons singing backup.

And yet...still not as bad as "East Meets West" with Frankie Valli & Whoever-happens-to-be-The-Four-Seasons. Two groups that seemed so well matched put out a song that could barely pass for incidental music in "Hardbodies". 

..yet not as bad as the absolute bottom of the barrel..."Happy Endings" with Little Richard. You have rock and roll's wild man Little Richard on a record and he sounds like he's weeping over a Casio.

Ay-yi-yi!     
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 04:14:50 PM »

Some thoughts:

CD,

I have this vague memory of watching the music video to either Wipeout, or possibly a different music video of theirs. I wasn't really into The BBs at all yet, so I guess it was just *there* and nothing I remember standing apart from the other tracks too well.

I definitely was a bigger fan of songs like "Crushin'", "Falling In Love"... and "My Nuts".

Wipeout is more bland by comparison. At the time, I was probably more into the drum machine/dance-like sounds and synthy touches that the band did on some tracks. Wipeout is kind of the odd track out on this album, but that said, it didn't stand out like a sore thumb to me at the time.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:21:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 04:15:05 PM »

I must hear this.

I saw it in the theater back then too (I was 9, btw). When they were pushing Ralph Bellamy (can't remember the character's name) in the wheel chair at full speed during the credit roll, I remember  I about lost my sh*t.

Nice!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 04:16:49 PM »

Funny this topic comes up when people are freaking out over Mike's version of DOI.

to me, this is (nearly) the nadir of The Beach Boys' recording career.  

It's pretty remarkable that The Beach Boys are featured on an album with a song called "My Nuts", a tune that is specifically about testicles.

About. Testicles.

Yeah, Rocking the Man in the Boat is about cunnilingus, but at least it's a euphemism that isn't necessarily obvious at first listen. This song straight up says, in its title "It's about NUTS!!!!!"

I wonder what The BBs thought about that at the time.

I guess they were balls deep in questionable career choices at that point.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:23:12 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »

A person can like or dislike the recording, the idea, the genre (rap, I mean; I assume vocal-oriented pop isn't an issue for people on this board). I don't care in the slightest about that. But I will say, I thought then, and think now, that "Wipeout" was harmless fun. Like CenturyDeprived, I probably preferred the Fat Boys to the Beach Boys at the time of its release (and I was a HUGE fan of "Disorderlies" at the time, probably because if I'm not mistaken, there was partial nudity ... never discount partial nudity when you're talking about an 11-year-old boy's movie tastes).

Honestly I think there is no comparison between it and the new Love-Stamos-McGrath DIA. (Though I don't care much about the latter either, and certainly don't subscribe to blaming it for the collapse of the band's legacy and/or western civilization.) The Fat Boys were popular at the time. Rap was an increasingly popular new form of music among pop audiences. It made a lot of sense then to try to capitalize on it, whether the attempt succeeded or not (and on what level, artistic or commercial). KDS is right: "Walk This Way" ended up being the better regarded, semi-similar attempt at crossover (as did the Beastie Boys' use of Kerry King on "No Sleep Til Brooklyn"). But you can't blame them for ending up the less-remembered, less-well regarded attempt. It was an attempt. A crass attempt? Maybe. A superficial attempt? Certainly. But it's fine. It was fun. It doesn't hurt anything.

The legacy is in tact. The legacy will remain in tact. The only people who think much about it, who worry, are the people who purportedly love the band the most (and so whose confidence should be strongest). Pet Sounds is never going to suck, no matter how many shitty albums, singles, sitcom appearances, or former celeb collaborations happen. It will never matter unless you make it matter.

"Wipeout" was fine. Fun. Pleasant. Enjoyable. Everyone, enjoy your summer.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 04:24:43 PM »

Honestly I think there is no comparison between it and the new Love-Stamos-McGrath DIA. (Though I don't care much about the latter either, and certainly don't subscribe to blaming it for the collapse of the band's legacy and/or western civilization.)

Well, I think there IS a comparison because they both suck. lol (in my opinion)

...but yes, as history has proven these questionable (to be kind) choices don't matter a hill of beans when it comes to what the group is remembered for. More like odd detours for hardcore fans to discuss after history forgets.  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:26:00 PM by GhostyTMRS » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 04:25:06 PM »

(double post)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:25:42 PM by GhostyTMRS » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 05:05:10 PM »

to me, this is (nearly) the nadir of The Beach Boys' recording career. I don't have any problem with The Fat Boys and obviously have no problem with The Beach Boys...but never the twain shall meet. Truly appalling version of the song. The only redeeming value for me is the wall of Brian Wilsons singing backup.

And yet...still not as bad as "East Meets West" with Frankie Valli & Whoever-happens-to-be-The-Four-Seasons. Two groups that seemed so well matched put out a song that could barely pass for incidental music in "Hardbodies". 

..yet not as bad as the absolute bottom of the barrel..."Happy Endings" with Little Richard. You have rock and roll's wild man Little Richard on a record and he sounds like he's weeping over a Casio.

Ay-yi-yi!     

My main issue with the version of DOI is the horribly processed production that makes the C50 live album sound like a Steely Dan record.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 05:18:29 PM »

Ay-yi-yi!     

My main issue with the version of DOI is the horribly processed production that makes the C50 live album sound like a Steely Dan record.

I only heard it once but I assumed it was same lead vocal from the C50 remake just imported over.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 05:36:09 PM »

Ay-yi-yi!     

What is DOI?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 05:39:33 PM »

Yeah, wasn't just the vocal that was imported over (the backup vocals were too, and I strongly suspect the basic track was as well). Not that it matters...Mark McGrath does not sound like himself (or human for that matter), and the less said about the "Do it Do it" part the better.  Whole thing sounds very amateur-ish, like it was done on a Fisher Price "My First Mixing Board".

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 05:40:20 PM »

Ay-yi-yi!     

What is DOI?

Was supposed to be DIA, although it  sounds like it was recorded by someone who got a DWI on the way home.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »

LOL LOL

And freaking out? LOL meh, firstly it’s discussion and secondly it’s a Beach Boys forum where we discuss sh*t related to the band. No ones having a panic attack because Mike has some incredibly awful taste.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx