gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:01:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Petition for Brian Wilson to be Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame  (Read 5491 times)
KDS
« on: August 02, 2017, 05:42:19 AM »

I saw this link on the Brian Wilson Forum, and I thought it was worth sharing

https://www.change.org/p/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-give-brian-wilson-the-award-for-musical-excellence
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 06:31:52 AM »

He really should be in there.  His contributions to 20th Century popular music are immeasurable.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »

I'd most certainly vote if I didn't have to fill in my email address...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
ericxplackis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 09:00:08 AM »

Signed.

It's really unbelievable he's not in there.  Huh
KDS
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »

Signed.

It's really unbelievable he's not in there.  Huh

Sadly, if you look at the list of deserving artists not in the Hall, it's not too surprising. 

They've been making positive strides the last few years, but they still get it wrong a lot. 

Although, with the fairly recent release of Love and Mercy and Brian's for real autobiography, coupled with the anniversary of Pet Sounds, if there was ever a time, it's now. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 09:16:55 AM »

No offence to Ring Starr, but he is in after a campaign from Paul McCartney. Maybe some 'names' need to do the same. Agreed about the many omissions and on the other side, some of the members. I won't name artists but some of them, seriously?

At least Brian is in there with The Beach Boys. Solo or not, that will forever be his legacy.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 09:18:51 AM »

No offence to Ring Starr, but he is in after a campaign from Paul McCartney. Maybe some 'names' need to do the same. Agreed about the many omissions and on the other side, some of the members. I won't name artists but some of them, seriously?

At least Brian is in there with The Beach Boys. Solo or not, that will forever be his legacy.

Maybe Wilson devotees McCartney, Pete Townshend, Elton John, Tom Petty, etc can rally the troops. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 09:39:55 AM »

I have to say after reading this about Ringo Starr, if the case was made and whatever strings pulled to induct Ringo as a solo artist apart from the obvious Beatles connection, the case can be made for Brian Wilson too. If anything you'd be hard pressed to find a story of a musician's comeback and redemption like Brian's, probably most on display with the Smile live shows. It was the impossible becoming reality, and it wasn't just the personal story behind it, the music was top-notch as were the shows. I still haven't gotten over seeing that first tour in '99, I don't know of many fans who ever thought that would happen let alone be as good as it was musically.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »

The Brian/HOF thing has been brought up many times, especially in the last 15-20 years. There are a bunch of categories, and also eligibility issues in terms of when you start the clock on Brian's "solo" career if the idea is to induct him as a solo artist rather than in some other category (producer, etc.).

I know a lot of people like to throw Ringo's induction under the bus, and of course there are plenty of other bands and artists with more notable careers than Ringo's post-Beatles career.

But *if* one of the measures is actual success (e.g. sales, chart position), than Ringo's case as an *artist* induction, however shaky, is stronger than Brian's. Roughly (based on a quick skim at Wikpedia), Ringo scored two Top 10 albums and around eight Top 10 singles in the early-mid 70s in the US alone. He certainly has a nice little grouping of solo hits and well-known songs that are more widely known than anything Brian has released as a solo artist. Let us not forget that, by some measures, Ringo *initially* had the *most* successful solo career in the immediate aftermath of the breakup of the Beatles.

Of course, sales and chart position aren't the only measures of what gets someone into the HOF. I think they put Ringo in because putting a Beatle in garners attention, and because, like all of the "solo" Beatles inductions, they were kind of being inducted based on their entire careers including the Beatles. Certainly Ringo deserves the induction.

But Brian does as well, if for no other reason than that his writing and production even solely within the BB spectrum is deserving of an induction in one category or another. It would probably easiest to just induct him as an artist, and they can throw everything into the induction speech. In fact, I would lobby hard to have him inducted *not* as a producer, because I don't think his niche outside productions, however much they're fun to discover, are super noteworthy or HOF-worthy. But his writing is. His production on BB material is. And I think even within the "solo" years for Brian, while his actual released albums and singles are a mixed bag and few of his solo works have sold exceptionally well, his solo *career* which includes his resurgence touring is certainly enough to warrant his induction.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 10:03:04 AM »

I see that the petition cites specifically the "Award for Musical Excellence" (a comically generic name, which apparently replaced the "Sidemen" category.

Considering most people, I think, simply assume Ringo was an inducted as a full-on artist the same as McCartney, et al., I suppose if it's easier to get Brian into this category, then that would be fine.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »

I'll put this out there, maybe a bit esoteric outside of musician circles. I'll say yes and agree to the Ringo nod. Ask any drummer worth his or her salt to play a "Ringo groove" on a song, and they'll know instantly what that means. It's unique enough to warrant a name attachment, and that beat has been used to anchor thousands of records, hits and unknown. If a guy's drum style is influential and known to that degree in musician circles, then yeah - That musician is HOF worthy. On influence and inspiration as much as "Photograph" topping the charts 40+ years ago.

Now consider how many times you hear a track or a production (or arrangement) that immediately makes you think "Brian Wilson", and consider too how many of those tracks came about in the studio by someone wanting to go for a Brian Wilson sound. You know it immediately when you hear it, no matter who the artist may be who is going for it. Studio people worth their salt know what it is immediately when asked for it. There was a time in the early 90's when a laundry list of alternative rock artists were releasing music that reviewers would name-check that BW sound when reviewing it. It's all over thousands of recordings, again that wide influence aspect as much as a particular solo album or project from BW.

That's HOF worthy too.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 11:34:16 AM »

I signed the petition. I wrote: "No one deserves this honor more than Brian. His songs evoke more emotions than the music produced by 99 percent of other artists."
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 01:46:33 PM »

I refuse to sign this petition, not because of any issue of Brian's worthiness, but because he's already *IN* the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame.

I feel that artists should not be inducted again after they've already been inducted once (except as part of a group). Once the R'n'RHoF clears up their extensive backlog of worthy acts who haven't been admitted yet, then I feel it would be OK to multiple-induct artists.

And yes, that means that I think the Hall should still be waiting to induct Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and Eric Clapton, among others. Your mileage may vary.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 01:53:23 PM »

I think this would really depend. What about cases where someone previously in a HOF band goes on to a 100% separate but equally (or more) successful solo career? It's two separate acts. The Yardbirds and Cream are as different from each other as Cream and Eric Clapton are from each other.

One could argue that McCartney's "solo" induction was in large part due to Wings.

If the HOF had any actual clear rhyme or reason to inductions, then it might make sense to say "Wait, let's get *these* artists in before these other artists." But it's a free-for-all. Lennon was inducted like five years before McCartney. ELO was never on the ballot and then got right in.

If someone's post-band career is significant enough to warrant HOF inclusion, I don't think they should be penalized because they called it "Brian Wilson" instead of "The Brian Wilson Razzmatazz Band."

Now, what *should* be done retroactively is to include a small number of band members who weren't included in their band's inductions. David Marks should be included in the BB induction (and yeah, Bruce too). If Roy Wood can be inducted as part of ELO, then David Marks should be part of the Beach Boys induction.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 04:09:01 PM »

This is a no-brainer. At the very least he should be in just as a Producer alone.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 07:33:03 PM »

Forget the Hall of Fame. Why hasn't Brian been given the Gershwin Prize yet?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 01:13:32 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »

I'd most certainly vote if I didn't have to fill in my email address...

Use a fake one :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 01:05:20 AM »

Done
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »

I refuse to sign this petition, not because of any issue of Brian's worthiness, but because he's already *IN* the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame.

I feel that artists should not be inducted again after they've already been inducted once (except as part of a group). Once the R'n'RHoF clears up their extensive backlog of worthy acts who haven't been admitted yet, then I feel it would be OK to multiple-induct artists.

And yes, that means that I think the Hall should still be waiting to induct Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and Eric Clapton, among others. Your mileage may vary.
Yes, I agree with this. I was listening to a Three Dog Night comp last weekend. Amazingly great records, great songs, vocals, instrumentation...yet they are not in the HOF. WTF? Brian Wilson is in the HOF for his work as a BB, and that's what he will be remembered for, long after we are all gone. We don't need to put him in the hall a 2nd time. If we're going to do that, then let's also put Dennis in for POB and Two Lane Blacktop. Let's put Carl in for his work as a producer, and years of session singing.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »

Apologies for straying a little off-topic, but my wife and I visited the Hall for the first time yesterday, and I thought these might be of some interest:

A couple of Carl's guitars:

One of Denny's kits:

One of Mike's stage outfits (with a hint of Carl's jumpsuit):

The quality may not be great, but truth be told, I was lucky to even get these.  They disallow the use of flash photography and the area housing these particular artifacts was lit appreciably darker than other wings.  That, and these were the final snaps I was able to take during my visit before my camera's battery ran out!  Razz
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:11:11 PM by R. Smith » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »

Those are good shots. I am still kicking myself for NOT ignoring the "no photography" signs at EMP in Seattle when they had the great exhibit of NW rock 'n' roll. They had some really great stuff in there from the Ventures, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Buck Owens, Ray Charles, the Kingsmen, etc.
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »

No offense to Ringo....but if Ringo Starr is in there then Brian Wilson should be in there
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 04:28:24 PM »

As mentioned, Paul McCartney seems to have given an endorsement for Ringo.

Mike could do the same.......oh wait.

Calling Sir Paul!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:29:08 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »

No offense to Ringo....but if Ringo Starr is in there then Brian Wilson should be in there
Ringo had a string of hit singles as a solo artist. Brian has not.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 11:19:46 PM »

Those are good shots. I am still kicking myself for NOT ignoring the "no photography" signs at EMP in Seattle when they had the great exhibit of NW rock 'n' roll. They had some really great stuff in there from the Ventures, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Buck Owens, Ray Charles, the Kingsmen, etc.
Hey, thanks! Smiley

And I would have liked to have experienced that EMP exhibit myself.  Photos, or no, it sounds like it would have really been something.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:21:57 PM by R. Smith » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx