gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:34:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much time does Brian spend playing his piano and writing?  (Read 3374 times)
Da Doo Ron Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »

When Brian isn't touring, how much time does he spend at his piano each day playing or writing? And how does that compare to the '60s? I seem to recall him saying in an interview that he plays for half an hour per day these days but I can't remember exactly.

I'm interested in how much time great songwriters like Brian, Lennon, McCartney, Dylan, etc spent / spend per day playing and writing.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »

I'm not sure but I'm sure it varies from day to day depending on how much they are inspired. My guess is not as often as when they were in their 20s.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 03:08:47 PM »

He said in a recent interview he only plays piano when he's at home once every "week or two" or something along those lines.

Obviously it was much more often in the 60s.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »

Depends on if he's working on a project, too, I imagine. In NPP promo, he and the engineer mentioned he was doing a lot of writing in the studio at the time.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »

Reminds me of a quote from the milward silver anniversary book that has a photo of landy standing over Brian at a piano and milward states that Brian had to be forced to stay at the piano for an hour. He then mentions how Brian at one time could not be dragged away from the piano but "he's younger than that now "
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 03:24:52 PM »

Apparently Joe Thomas's method is to tape Brian while he noodles around in the studio for hours on end, add markers to the file when something interesting happens, and use those to sort through ideas for chord changes, riffs or extra parts on the songs.

Frankly, it's a smart idea for someone as mercurial as BW, and I'm surprised more of his collaborators haven't tried it.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 11:12:48 PM »

When Brian isn't touring, how much time does he spend at his piano each day playing or writing? And how does that compare to the '60s? I seem to recall him saying in an interview that he plays for half an hour per day these days but I can't remember exactly.

I'm interested in how much time great songwriters like Brian, Lennon, McCartney, Dylan, etc spent / spend per day playing and writing.

Sometimes, Wilson wanders upstairs to his music room, but he gets easily discouraged. "I can't write a song to save my life," he says. "I sit at the piano and try, but all I want to do is rewrite 'California Girls.' How am I gonna do something better than that? It's a f***ed-up trip."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/brian-wilsons-better-days-20150622

Brian is getting older so that obviously accounts for the writers block but surely some of the medication that Brian is on must interfere to some degree with his natural ability to be spontaneous and creative, no?
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:14:38 PM »

When he isn't playing his piano or writing he is watching the movie Norbit on a loop.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »

When he isn't playing his piano or writing he is watching the movie Norbit on a loop.

It’s my secret wish that Brian is composing one of his greatest works at the moment: a complete album brimming with his harmonious creativity that when played side by side with Norbit melds with the whole thing perfectly.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 11:14:02 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 12:44:04 AM »

at this point in time and at his age, why would he really want to spend 'time' at a piano?
I would imagine he probably would 'noodle' periodically maybe to figure something out,
or if he has an idea about something.
I would doubt Brian sits at a piano playing song after song.
He has always been 'bang bang', yep I'm done.

petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 08:11:48 AM »

I've always been fascinated by Brian's day to day life.  The Rolling Stone article had some interesting insights.  I'd love to spend a day with Brian eating at the deli, strolling through the park, and driving on PCH.  Jason Fine was a lucky guy to have that access.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 12:25:12 PM »

When this tour is over, he should hang it up.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx