gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:35:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations - anyone made a version with the long SS tag but no hum-de-dums?  (Read 1792 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »

I'm a fan of the extended tag on the Smile Sessions, but not the hum-de-dum insert.  Unfortunately, released versions give us both or neither.

I've tried creating a hybrid version myself, and it seems like it should be easy, but apparently my editing skills are not good.  Does anyone have one that they consider to be relatively seamless?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:58:27 PM »

Why?  You think you can do a better job at it than Brian D. Wilson?  YOU wanna 'monkey' with his great creation do ya?  I can understand why.  YOU don't like the hum-de-dum part.  Looks like Brian decided NOT to go with it as well.  But he couldn't extend the song without it sounding 'screwed with'.  So it goes,  Life isn't fare...no fair...or is it fehr?

I toss in the extended Beach Boys SMiLE version on the air every now and then just to jolt the stoned folks out of their gourds from time to time.  I'm a 'dick' that way.  Bottom line...I like BOTH versions.  They both work.  I'd cut out that incessant fade on It's a Beautiful Day though.   Jeesh!!!

That said I'd keep it as is if I had the play U2's It's a Beautiful Day  instead at my 'wake'.  And It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood just set kids up to be attacked by Barney...so screw THAT.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:00:57 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:25:27 PM »

Someone created a version of the BB version of GV similar to Brian Wilson's Smile version with both the hum-de-dums and the band singing "gotta keep those lovin'..."  To me that is the definitive one.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »

Someone created a version of the BB version of GV similar to Brian Wilson's Smile version with both the hum-de-dums and the band singing "gotta keep those lovin'..."  To me that is the definitive one.

I love this version and I totally forget which mix that’s from.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »

I toss in the extended Beach Boys SMiLE version on the air every now and then just to jolt the stoned folks out of their gourds from time to time.  

I actually heard Mt. Vernon and Fairway on the radio the other day.  THAT must have jolted a few people.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »

I think I've got that same version on my version of SMiLE here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L_kCJ2T-XI

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »

The version on DCC's Endless Summer has a slightly extended ending which Steve Hoffman apparently got permission to make from the master - I guess the abrupt fade bugged him and he wanted to make it more gradual.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx