gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:57:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ricky Fataar's exit from the band  (Read 5549 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:24:29 AM »

Was Ricky Fataar still in the band in early '75?  I've read he was gone by late 1974 but I was just watching some of the New Years Rockin' Eve TV special they did with Chicago and it appears he was still on drums at the time.  Though I guess it's also possible that officially he was out of the band by that point and was asked to fill in on drums for Dennis who was absent for whatever reason.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »

I think the New Year's thing was videotaped quite early, like November or early December 1974. I don't know if anyone has nailed down his precise last gig with the band. I don't have the Rusten/Stebbins "In Concert" book at hand, but that book probably has the best answer.

My recollection is that he did not play any 1975 gigs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »

The book lists 9/8/74 at Rossevelt raceway in Westbury NY as likely Ricky Fataar's last show. New Year's Rockin Eve is taped well in advance of airing.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 04:44:39 PM »

I'll be damned, I went to that show.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 05:44:26 PM »

Interesting that Ricky returned to play the New Year's Rockin' Eve show on Nov. 26 '74, over two months after playing his last BBs gig. I guess he was the perfect choice to replace Dennis who refused to wear a matching outfit.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 10:23:18 PM »

I guess he was the perfect choice to replace Dennis who refused to wear a matching outfit.

Is that right? Is that the reason Dennis wasn't there?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 12:16:33 AM »

I guess he was the perfect choice to replace Dennis who refused to wear a matching outfit.

Is that right? Is that the reason Dennis wasn't there?

Can't be 100% but it's the explanation I've read many times.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »

Are we certain it was Ricky drumming at the New Years Rockin' Eve performance? In the footage I've seen the drummer is never filmed clearly enough for me to be sure it's Ricky. And the drumming sounds more tentative--not like Ricky's style and more like someone who doesn't know the repertoire like the back of his hand.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 04:54:09 PM »

Just had another look and it certainly looks like Ricky to my eyes, on "Good Vibrations" at least.

He's most clearly seen during the ensemble rendition of "Auld Lang Syne"

Danny Seraphine drums on "Darlin'"
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:01:22 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 04:54:19 AM »

It's Ricky:
https://youtu.be/MW1drHGe9QY?t=4m
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »

According to AGD and his magic archive site, Ricky's last show was at the Roosevelt Raceway, Westbury NY on the 8/9/74.

http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs74.html
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 11:23:06 AM »

According to AGD and his magic archive site, Ricky's last show was at the Roosevelt Raceway, Westbury NY on the 8/9/74.

Well his site also says the New Year's Eve special was filmed on November 26th so one of those things has to be wrong.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:24:15 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »

From Ian and Jon Book:
"It is probable that this was Ricky Fataar's last concert [...] although it has been previously that his last show was in December, keyboardist Ron Albatch confirmed that Ricky was already gone when he joined the Beach Boys backing band in November."

The book list first Ron Albatch concert as 12 November, and he  is seen on Rockin New Year EVe
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 02:16:19 PM »

Not contradicting anyone but is it likely Dennis knew well in advance about the clothing being worn for this show? Enough time to call in Ricky I mean? Seems like the kind of detail you would hear about a day or two out at the most.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 03:32:41 PM »

Well, Bobby Figueroa was on his way to the laundry when he was asked to take Dennis' place at short notice for their American Bandstand appearance in 1981.

So perhaps Ricky may have been asked to play at short notice too.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »

I've never been sure if that was Ricky at New Year's Eve. If so then he agreed to play it when Dennis backed out. As far as I know his departure wasn't as acrimonious as blondies. He went to join joe Walsh's band but remained friendly with everyone. And yes the correct taping date is November 26 as listed in my book and on bellagio. A ticket to the taping was auctioned on eBay some years ago
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 08:17:30 AM »

I've never been sure if that was Ricky at New Year's Eve. If so then he agreed to play it when Dennis backed out. As far as I know his departure wasn't as acrimonious as blondies. He went to join joe Walsh's band but remained friendly with everyone. And yes the correct taping date is November 26 as listed in my book and on bellagio. A ticket to the taping was auctioned on eBay some years ago

I'm positive it's Ricky - although the camera doesn't catch him on the drum stool all that much, the conga-line dance at the end is a dead giveaway.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 02:30:52 AM »

It makes sense they'd call him first if Dennis bailed out.  I mean, he'd be the logical person.  He'd only just left.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 03:20:31 AM »

Planning on catching Ricky during the James Taylor/ Bonnie Raitt Tour. Not BB related I know but he is the one BB I have yet to see in  concert.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »

Well his site also says the New Year's Eve special was filmed on November 26th so one of those things has to be wrong.

If Ricky's final show as an official Beach Boy was in August and he was asked to fill in in November, then I can see how both could be correct.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »

As I've said 9 trillion times-I am the guy that compiled that info at Bellagio and as I said in this thread-he left around that time but was on good terms with the BBs-so if C-Man has analyzed the clip (which I haven't look at in a longtime) then so be it-he filled in for a TV appearance-no big deal.  Blondie actually had an altercation with the BBs manager so it would be more of a surprise if he filled in after leaving
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx