gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:27:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there an appreciation thread for The Beach Boys In Concert [1973]  (Read 8311 times)
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2017, 07:13:28 AM »

As a long time member of this board, I cannot recall seeing a dedicated thread discussing the 1973 In Concert album.  I grew up with this album as a kid, and it still holds up after all these [40+] years.  The band sounds loose and contemporary for the time, and the arrangements are great.  I would love to know more about this album from what shows were recorded during that tour, what were some of the tracks left off as well as any other interesting facts.  Is there an appreciation thread for this album that you can point me to?  Thanks!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »

I don't know the answer to this but I would love to know more too. It's an amazing album - the band sounds so good and it's a great mix of deep cuts and hits. I know the CD version's liner notes say the rough time period during which it was recorded, but I don't think it has the locations.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:45:01 AM »

Alan Boyd posted a lot of information about which shows were recorded iirc. But I couldn't find the thread unfortunately.
Maybe this is a start:

Breaking down "In Concert"

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18195.0.html

The Beach Boys Live IN Concert 1973

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23547.0.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »

Alan Boyd posted a lot of information about which shows were recorded iirc. But I couldn't find the thread unfortunately.
Maybe this is a start:

The second link above takes you to a list I posted of all the dates & venues (except "FFF", for which we aren't certain).
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 02:09:22 PM »

That is such a great album. They rocked really hard, but also played the ballads with great sensitivity. I love You Still Believe In Me, Caroline No, Funky Pretty, Surfin USA, Heroes And Villains and Don't Worry Baby. The only downside is I don't like the arrangement of Help Me Rhonda. I'd take the classic hit arrangement over the bluesy version any day.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »

That is such a great album. They rocked really hard, but also played the ballads with great sensitivity. I love You Still Believe In Me, Caroline No, Funky Pretty, Surfin USA, Heroes And Villains and Don't Worry Baby. The only downside is I don't like the arrangement of Help Me Rhonda. I'd take the classic hit arrangement over the bluesy version any day.

Speaking of the ballads here - don't forget "Let The Wind Blow"!  Smiley Incredible performance of a terrific song.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:21:35 PM by c-man » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 03:17:35 PM »

Maybe this is a start:

The second link above takes you to a list I posted of all the dates & venues (except "FFF", for which we aren't certain).

Craig, would it be correct to assume that the recordings of the entire concerts from which the BBs in Concert tracks were taken (and perhaps more concert dates from that era as well) still exist in the vaults?

KDS
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »

As a long time member of this board, I cannot recall seeing a dedicated thread discussing the 1973 In Concert album.  I grew up with this album as a kid, and it still holds up after all these [40+] years.  The band sounds loose and contemporary for the time, and the arrangements are great.  I would love to know more about this album from what shows were recorded during that tour, what were some of the tracks left off as well as any other interesting facts.  Is there an appreciation thread for this album that you can point me to?  Thanks!

To date, its my favorite Beach Boys related live album.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 07:05:48 PM »

I happened to attend  a number of the shows that the recordings came from( dumb luck) . It was a great time to be a Beach Boy fan. From 1971 through 1976, each year just seemed to get better and better.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 08:21:09 PM »

Speaking of the ballads here - don't forget "Let The Wind Blow"!  Smiley Incredible performance of a terrific song.

Yes! Spectacularly gorgeous version. The guitar solo is so good.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »

An outstanding album.  Stands up even now.  Their best live collection.  One of the best by anybody...all time.   4 discs would have been even better than the 2 we did get.  I agree with Gerry.  '71 to '75 was the BEST era for the LIVE Boys.  '63 to '73 for the recorded Boys.  AND...it's oh-so easy to compare and hear it all.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 10:33:21 PM »

Maybe this is a start:

Craig, would it be correct to assume that the recordings of the entire concerts from which the BBs in Concert tracks were taken (and perhaps more concert dates from that era as well) still exist in the vaults?

I think so.

hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 11:57:31 PM »

Psyched that I started this thread!  The Ricky and Blondie live-era stuff is my favorite.  The release of Sunshine Tomorrow got me thinking whether they ever played I Was Made to Love Her live when Ricky and Blondie were in the band?  I would love to hear that. 

I also love what they did with Help Me Rhonda during this era, every fun and funky.  I agree that In Concert would be great as a 4 disc set!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 01:57:22 AM »

Beautiful album! My only complaint is that it could've used a little more Dennis. Since We Got Love made the cut being a song not released on any of their studio albums, it would've been nice if they had included something like I've Got a Friend which I understand was performed a couple of times during that time frame. But we can't change history and the record is still brilliant the way it is. As a side note, I love all the pictures of the band on the back cover and in the gatefold sleeve. The vinyl engraving with the little dedication to Brian is very sweet and quite touching.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 07:33:57 AM »

The best sounding BB live album for me, especially Ricky's drum sound. Carl at his best singing the chorus to 'Don't Worry Baby' a special highlight to my ears.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 06:01:56 PM »

I received this album via USPS Special Delivery at 7PM on New Year's Eve(1973) from a friend. Totally out of the blue. I've never recovered from the incredible impact this stamped on my soul.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:22:06 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 11:36:14 PM »

The Sloop bass line is one of my all time favorites.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 04:50:50 PM »

"We got love" is so good.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 10:24:37 PM »

I got kicked out of my apartment after playing MARCELLA at a way loud level. Probably deserved it. Was worth it. Got back in soon thereafter. Again, New Year's Eve 1973.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 10:11:33 AM »

yes the only way to play that live Marcella is LOUD

that album sounds bestest on the old pre-recorded open reel tape format (7-1/2 IPS speed) it got issued at the time (discs spliced into one continuous tape reel)
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2021, 12:11:32 AM »

HI again - I was listening to In Concert again last night and it got me thinking whether there is any live version from this era of Do It Again?  If so, I would love to hear it!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2021, 01:15:19 AM »

https://youtu.be/lbcgS-8pPo4
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2021, 03:29:30 AM »

Also here from 1972:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmYn0Ahgb8

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2021, 11:09:55 PM »

Thank you  - great to hear these!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2021, 06:40:00 AM »

One of the greatest live albums of all time, and easily their best one! I wore this out on Vinyl for years, and still play if often on CD. Like others, I use to crank it!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx